Close Look at the Disney Mix Stick

disney mix stick Close Look at the Disney Mix Stick

What do you get your 9 year old girl cousin for Christmas? Well, some sort of toy or doll I suppose. But being the gadget person that I am, the gift had to have some kind of microchip inside of it. So I decided to check out the Disney Mix Stick.

The Disney Mix Stick is one of the few MP3 players aimed at a younger crowd; a much younger 8-14 crowd. The Mix Stick supports MP3 as well as WMA / WMA DRM and comes with 128MB of built in memory. Additionally, you can add more memory or special preloaded MMC/SC memory cards. It is a universal mass storage device so will work with either PC or Mac without additional drivers.

I think this is a great product for that particular age group, however it will fail to impress anyone outside of the “tween” girl demographic.

disney mix stick 01 thumb Close Look at the Disney Mix Stickdisney mix stick 02 thumb Close Look at the Disney Mix Stickdisney mix stick 03 thumb Close Look at the Disney Mix Stickdisney mix stick 04 thumb Close Look at the Disney Mix Stickdisney mix stick 05 thumb Close Look at the Disney Mix Stickdisney mix stick 06 thumb Close Look at the Disney Mix Stickdisney mix stick 07 thumb Close Look at the Disney Mix Stickdisney mix stick 08 thumb Close Look at the Disney Mix Stickdisney mix stick 09 thumb Close Look at the Disney Mix Stickdisney mix stick 10 thumb Close Look at the Disney Mix Stickdisney mix stick case thumb Close Look at the Disney Mix Stick

Inside the package

The Mix Stick comes packaged with a vinyl lanyard, earbuds, and a CD with pre-Windows XP drivers and Windows Media Player.

Putting Music on the Stick

They have made loading music onto this MP3 player as easy as it can get. You can simply plug it in and drop files or entire folders onto the player as a removable drive. You can also transfer songs via Windows Media Player. This you will need to use if you are purchasing music from online music download stores like Napster.

The Controls

The controls are simple, starting with an on/off switch on the side of the player. On the front of the player there are play/pause, forward, back, volume up, volume down, shuffle and repeat all in the shape of Mickey’s head. There is also an LED that glows green when the player is on.

The Player

You can get the Mix Stick in a few different colors and styles: Purple Tinkerbell, Chrome Micky Mouse, Pink Princess, and Red Raven. I have also seen it in flat black for the boys, but they seem scarce.

The build of the Mix Stick is cheap- it feels like any other toy. But I don’t think that it should be associated with poor durability. I had some fun with it and did a stress test by dropping it down stairs, throwing it against a wall, and tossing it out of a two story window onto concrete, along with other abusive things a kid might do with their beloved toys. Other than being a bit scratched up, the player still played and worked just as before.

One problem with the player is the USB plug. It is short, and the body of the player may prohibit you from plugging it into some computers’ USB ports or having to remove other devices around the USB ports. This problem can be solved with a USB extender cable which can be purchased for a couple bucks. But I think that this cable should have been included in the package.

Accessories

Disney offers quite a few accessories to keep the kids occupied. These include a docking station with speakers, wall charger, two different types of headphones, carrying cases, and preloaded memory cards called Mix Clips. The Mix Clips slip right into the top memory slot. The clips contain a whole CD worth of Disney artists which can be purchased for around $16.

Conclusion

The bottom line is that it is a toy and it shows in the build quality and sound quality. The controls are flimsy are unresponsive, and by far the Mix Stick is the worst sounding MP3 player I have ever listened to.

But this player is not designed for adults; it is designed for children who like fun toys and the Mix Stick is a great toy especially for the little ̶
0;tween” crowd. There are plenty add-on accessories to keep the kids entertained. It is simple to use and simple to load music- even for the kids. The additional slot for memory and Mix Clips creates expandability.

Purchasing

Check out Amazon for a good price and other Mix Stick accessories.

larry cotton on January 2, 2006 9:34 AM

Please continue to monitor activity in automobile flash mp3 players. Your 6 hits in the car audio category (above) will soon balloon to 60, then 600, then. . . Why more manufacturers don’t include a flash card reader in their players is beyond me.LMC

Melissa on March 15, 2006 12:42 PM

are there diffrent charectors to put on Mix Sticks?

Shelby on March 28, 2006 11:45 PM

i aws just wondering if speakers come with the mix stick

Shelby on March 28, 2006 11:46 PM

i was just wondering if speakers come with the mix stick

Megan on April 2, 2006 10:02 PM

WOW! My 10-year old sister got this mix-stick for Christmas and it is the BEST mp3 player available for a little kid. Putting music files on it is the easiest thing in the world- you just stick the player in the USB, open Windows Media Player, and rip files to the mp3. When i helped my sister rip the music she wanted onto the player, we found it held about 32-35 songs with the internal memory.The player has a really cute design, too (the player is available in a chrome [silver] color, the Tinkerbell version, a That’s So Raven edition, and a pink Princess version).The headphones are servicable but not the best. After 3 months of using them my sister found that she had to replace them with different ones because the left earphone stopped working! This mp3 also has a card slot so that you can listen to as much music as you want, and you can buy disney “mix chips” that have disney soundtracks on them (you can listen to them in the card slot).The sound quality on this thing is pretty poor compared to other mp3′s i’ve heard (like my iPod shuffle and my dad’s Sandisk player), but my sister is a KID. KIDS don’t care about the sound quality, they just care about listening to the music!The controls are mediocre, and the “shuffle songs” button doesn’t really work. But it certainly is a cute because of the mickey mouse shape.Overall, this is an EXCELLENT player for someone who is between the ages of 6-12. I even debated about getting one for myself for a while (lol)!

Vincent DaCosta on April 5, 2006 1:36 PM

is there a way to erase the disney mmc cards to use them for my own music?the pre-loaded disney mania mmc cards would not format!anybody know a trick?kjtw@yahoo.com

Brittnay on May 17, 2006 11:34 PM

Hey can someone help me figure out how to put songs on the Mix stick

Jasmine on May 28, 2006 10:53 PM

I wanna get one are they fun?

Jamie on June 10, 2006 2:42 PM

I was thinking about getting a mix stick!They seem kinda cool! I was wondering if u can download songs from itunes because i have itunes on my computer and i already have songs on it. i was just waiting untill i get a mp3 player! Pleese tell me if i can use itune with the mix stick!thankyou!

tin on June 20, 2006 12:34 AM

anyone know how to put music on this thing with a mac computer?

Jeremiah on June 27, 2006 8:51 PM

The Mix Stick is Great but i have iTunes, and it doesnt work with my mix stick! But thankfully I have Windows Media Player. I have songs From that. And also my Music cards skip while playing! So I only use the Mp3 part.

Jeremiah on June 28, 2006 10:05 PM

Me Again.:)Now my Mix Clips work with my Mix stick!and Tin,I don’t know either but it said in the package that it would detect the player automatically.Consider getting a Computer with Windows XP or Higher.But don’t put the disc(with windows Media Player)into your Mac.

Nickeisha on June 30, 2006 9:54 AM

I wanna get a mix-stick but i’m not sure if its worth the money!

Dela on August 6, 2006 3:18 PM

Can you delete songs from the player after a while when u dont like it.Oh and plz email me cuz i have more questions. edka9524@yahoo.com

Scott on August 16, 2006 12:23 AM

Transferring songs:The Disney Mix Stick acts like a flash drive – plug it into your computer and it comes up as a drive letter under “My Computer” (in Windows XP, anyway). Drag and drop files onto or off of the Mix Stick’s 128 MB of internal memory using the standard Windows tools. (Sorry – I can’t speak to the process on a Mac, though I would expect it to work just like any other Flash drive.)In addition to the built-in memory, the Mix Stick has a SD/MMC Memory Card slot. I actually plugged the 256MB SD Card from my digital camera into the Mix Stick and was able to use it to store more music.An interesting side effect – with the SD card in the Mix Stick, the SD card itself can also act just like a Flash drive. Plug the Mix Stick into your computer USB port, and you can move and copy any data to and from the SD card (including the digital pictures I took with my digital camera). Of course the Mix Stick will only play mp3, wav and wma files, it will ignore any other files on the SD memory card.

ashley bennet on November 4, 2006 12:13 PM

I want to know in a couple of years when Im older will I want an ipod insted

emf on November 23, 2006 3:52 PM

Can I download music onto this wih an eMac computer?Please answer.

Abby on December 10, 2006 11:47 AM

Can put songs from limewire?

Topaz on December 20, 2006 10:21 PM

How could i download music on the mixstick???

ashley on December 25, 2006 11:34 PM

ok lol! i got one of these dils for x-mas i think there ok but i mean i would like them a whole lot better if they didnt say disney on dem or the designs i mean i no tats da poit of a “disney” mix stick but i mean like for older kids i would like just a plain color soo disney iff ur readin dis lol take my advise i mean keep some designs but make some plain too lol (i wish) lol !but i think the sound is pretty good ! thats a turn on but stil…… lol

ashley on December 25, 2006 11:39 PM

lol its me! anyones whos readin dis do yall agree????

james on December 26, 2006 11:15 PM

it real suck. i cant put music on it for shit can some body help me?

Morrical Family on December 26, 2006 11:51 PM

We have had it for two weeks and cannot load anything on the stick. Music shows up in the file, but won’t play. This was a terrible gift. I will take it back and get an iPod shuffle instead!

John on December 27, 2006 3:11 PM

This is a royal pain in the neck dealing with this STUPID Gift- The battery is not recharging. You cant get thru to the phone number. It wont take Windows Media Player 11.DONT BUY THIS PRODUCT – IT IS NOT WORTH THE HASSLE.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Julie on December 27, 2006 6:43 PM

so you can’t use i-tunes with this, is that what I am hearing? And from what I’ve read you need Windows Media Player 10. Wish me luck.

Mollie on December 28, 2006 6:33 PM

What are you guys whinning about. Ashley, I bought a mix stck that is plain silver. Sure it’s not whats popular but it’s WAY cheaper than a $200 apple iPod!! You don’t HAVE to download song from the internet like an iPod. I KNOW that I will enjoy my, only $45.00, pain silver Disney mix stick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Limmer on January 3, 2007 9:53 PM

We bought this for our daughter and have not been able to download ANY songs from her favorite CD’s. The computers (yes thats right we tried several) for some reason do not detect the mix stick at all. It will charge it but, that is about it. What a horrible waste of money, I should have bought her an Ipod. I would never buy this item nor would I recommend it to anyone. What a headache and hassle. Stay away …….. Far away……. Meanwhile my poor daughter is waiting for us to finish downloading her favs. We feel bad.

Serpentd on January 7, 2007 3:09 AM

WOW….if you guys are having troubles with this mix stick, then I feel very sorry for you when you go to the Ipod. I have windows media player 11, but instead of going through that I just opened up my “music” folder then clicked and drag each song I wanted on for my 6 year old daughter. I only used the internal memory however. In fact I tought my 6 year old how to use this thing when attached to her pc. If you are having problems with your PC not recognizing the mix stick, I would have to say it is your pc with the problem, not the mp3 player. You need to know what you are talking about before you bash something. Try a different PC or something if you seem to have problems…it’s called troubleshooting. Both my daughter of age 6 and myself had this running in less then 5 minutes with the music she put on there. She actually had it running with one of the Disney SD sticks before I got out of bed today all by herself. I HIGHLY recommend this product for children. The easiest MP3 player you will ever own, for children 6-12 or so that is.

Jennifer on January 10, 2007 9:33 PM

For those of you that have Macs (I do) what you want to do is load your cds or download music into your iTunes library. Then you want to highlight the song you want, click the advance bar you see and save it under “MP3″ format. This takes a second or two – then in the itunes library you will see a copy of what you just did – its the first version of the song usually – drag it to your Disney MP3 Player and it should just load up easily. It worked for me and I was able to download 92 songs. I’m actually an adult here and yes, the sound quality could be better but its better than paying $200 for an ipod. I think if you want to purchase this product you should make your decision on how often you will use it. I am only interested in using it when I go and workout for an hour or so a day. SO for me it makes sense, for others who may use this much more frequently you may want to purchase a higher quality product.

kate on January 19, 2007 7:31 PM

HOW THE HECK DO YOU GET SONGS ON THIS PIECE OF JUNK WIHT A WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER???????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Donna on January 21, 2007 10:37 PM

I had the same problem in that Media Player could not find the Mix Stick device in order to sync. My husband walked by during my trial of frustration and mentioned that I should format the Mix Stick. Hey, what a concept! I opened My Computer and found the drive where I had the Mix Stick (drive E on my computer) and formated the “removable device” in drive E. Media Player then detected the Mix Stick with no problem and I was able to transfer the songs to the Stick.Would have appreciated more complete instructions from Disney/Memorex to avoid hours of frustration, BUT the important thing is that it finally works!

MIDGET MOMMA on January 24, 2007 5:59 PM

ALRIGHT KIDS HAHAH I GOT MY DAUGHTER I MEAN SANTA GOT MY DAUGHTER A MIX STICK AND I HAVE SEEMED TO MISPLACE THE CHARGING INSTRUCTIONS HOW THE HELL DO U CHARGET THIS THING

Michele on January 24, 2007 11:35 PM

Hello,I purchaed this for my two children and so far ok, but my son’s light kept flashing the orange color,so I plugged it into the computer to charge, but it is still blinking and I’m not sure what I could be doing wrong. Is anyone else have a problem like this. I can seem to play any clips now and it just blinks, please help!!!!!!!!!Michele

Heidi on January 28, 2007 2:17 PM

Michele,I had the same problem with the mix stix I had. My older two children had these first and I had no problems with theirs. My youngest daughter got her’s for Christmas, (the darker purple Princess style) and it worked for 3 days then quit. The same blinking orange light problem. I called the # for tech support which was memorex and was by far the most dismal experience with tech support I have ever had. They didn’t seem to know what I was talking about nor did they want to solve my problem. I figured they get paid by the number of calls they take rather than by actually solving the problem. I recommend you just exchange it for another one.My computer wouldn’t even recognize the unit for me to format so that was not an option either. I finally returned the unit to Target and ended up purchasing one at a different store as they were out of stock. The new one (the light purple princess edition) seems to work just fine. Though I’ve yet to try to add songs to it. She’s content using the pre-loaded card for now. It has been frustrating but hopefully we’ll be back be-boppin’ soon. I agree for the price and ease of use for the intended age group I like this product when it works. We also purchased the Jam Stand charger/speakers which are great again when your product works. Good luck!

Heidi on January 28, 2007 5:01 PM

This forum inspired me to try again to load some songs to this thing. I got one of our other pc’s to recognize it but only sometimes. When I connect to our laptop I get an error message that the USB device is not recognized no matter which port I choose. If I move it between one of the 4 ports on our other machine sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. I was able to fomat it then but I still cannot load music files to it. The funny thing is we have 2 other mix stix and they work just fine. Any ideas would be great!Thanks

Jeline Mariane on January 31, 2007 6:00 AM

ok one condition to those who don’t like the mix stick JUST DON’T SHUT AND SAY BAD WORDS!!!!!!!!!!!! sheesh what’s the matter w/ u people the mixstick is so cool and u have to appreciate what u have just because it’s broken u need to blab be angry and etc.!!! what if u have this cool phone and ur the phone then ur sister or etc. doesn’t like won’t u feel hurt??? see pls. think before u act people! ur giving me a headache! omg! phew! all that commotion makes me hungry ok bye!!!!!! MIX STICKS ARE COOL !!!!

Shanon on February 2, 2007 6:14 PM

We like the player but the only thing I cant figure out is I downloaded music into the players memory. But when I put a card in it just keeps playing from the internal memory and not the card. Any thoughts

Heidi on February 9, 2007 3:21 PM

I finally got to the store to exchange my mix stix again. We are on #3. Brought it home, plugged it in and it works great. Just like the other two we already own. Weird how that works and amazing that I could get two bad ones in a row from different stores. Had no problems this time at all, the computer immediately recognized this one and I was able to quickly download music from Windows Media Player 10.0. What a treat after fighting with two other stix for so long. When I put my card in that plays too so I guess we are good. It was very frustrating for me because I knew it wasn’t operator error since there are two others in this house which work perfectly.Shanon, when you go to my computer does your device appear as two removable disc drives? It should. One is for the internal memory and one for the card. If you click on them can you see what files are in each? Wonder if you have a device in which only one of the “drives” is not being recognized?Seems that either these things work great or you get one with bugs. If/when you get a good one though, they are nice and easy for the kiddos.

JASMINE on February 11, 2007 2:34 PM

I JUST WANT TO KNOW HOW TO PUT MUSIC ON IT BUT I IS GREAT

Heidi on February 11, 2007 10:41 PM

Either drag and drop files to the proper removable drive in My Computer, or use Windows Media Player and sync to the device.If you can’t do this, perhaps you have a faulty product as I did. In that case take it back and try another one. Good luck. It really is easy to use if it works properly.

Frustrated Momn on February 12, 2007 10:37 AM

I have tried several times to drop and drag music onto the CARS MixStic Santa got my 6 year old for Christmas. I went into My Computer and saw the music files there that i call my self putting on the stic previously. I dragged them into the removablae file and I can’t hear anything. This has been going on since Christmas. His sisters got the new Shuffle and he got a lemon. It may just be operator error (me). Help. Someone walk me thorugh this step by simply step.

H.M. on February 20, 2007 11:46 AM

My only suggestion to those having problems with a Mix Stick is to take it back and try another one. Could just be a faulty one, as many of us have them and seem to have no problems. Anyway…I got one for Christmas, the one with Jack Skellington on it (I’m a Nightmare Before Christmas collector). It’s definately not the fastest device on the planet, but it works just fine for simple music listening, which is really all I need.Here’s my one beef about it, though. There ARE accessories availible for it, because the technical support website states so. Yet, I can’t find them for sale online, even at the Disney Shopping website. Nor is there anything in their mall stores. I was jokingly thinking maybe you’d have to go as far as a Disney park to get anything else. An e-mail to the online store actually confirmed that’s the case. How stupid is that?

MEH on February 20, 2007 9:53 PM

This is our 2nd Mix Stick — the first would not work at all – - I would get the error that the USB device attached was not recognized by the computer. Returned that one and got another one, this one worked for awhile, but now the (same) computer cannot read the Mix Stick again — same error.I really expected this to be of better quality than it is. We have ipods and other devices and have had no problems, but this was definitely not a good investment.The worst is that it was for my 6-year old and you know how their attention spans are — they always want to add more songs. The songs that I originally loaded one of the two times the computer would read it are there, but I can’t add anymore — ugh!

sapphire on February 22, 2007 5:00 PM

I got a disney mixstick for x-mas. it works perfectly fine…tho i bought mine from LIMITED TOO and they have THE REAL KIND. sometimes most stores have fake cheap ones. the ones at limited too work and are only 60.00 dollars. they have new desings like a cheetah girls one and a HSM one

Jessica on February 22, 2007 9:52 PM

oh yeah everyone who is defending the mix stick, you guys rock!!!!!!!! Like what Jeline Mariane said, I totally agree! ( of what she wrote on the January 31 post ) If you are going on this website just to dis mixsticks, don’t come to this site! They made this site to explain what mix sticks are, and have these post so other ppl can help each other with problems with their mix sticks! So don’t say bad words, or say ANYTHING bad about mix sticks. If you want to do that, go do it somewhere else! Mix sticks rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

claire on February 23, 2007 2:47 PM

i am having problems downloading music onto my mix stick can somebody please help i have no hop of being able to please i need some major help!!!!!!!!!!

claire on February 23, 2007 2:49 PM

please help me learn how to download music onto my mix stick i got it last year and still can’t figure out how to use it. please help me.

michelle on March 3, 2007 12:02 PM

I bought5 mix sticks and we love them. The kids thought it was fun to load the music they like on them. My 4 yr old even has his own.

Shelby on March 4, 2007 5:54 PM

Anyone know how to transer from Itunes library to the stick? The files are all showing as MP4 files and are showing on the stick when I drag them to it, but I cannot get them to play……is it becuase they ar MP4? If so, how do I get them to MP3 files….any help would be much appreciated

disney mom on March 5, 2007 12:24 PM

Shelby, this may seem strange but you can’t play Itunes on the Mix Stick. They are MP4′s and the player only plays MP3. If you are intent on using music in your Itunes Library you may have to burn those songs to a disk and then rip them to your Windows Media Player. It’s the only way I know to convert the MP4 to MP3.

rose on March 11, 2007 6:42 PM

i got a mix stick 2 MONTHS ago, and I STILL don’t have any songs!!! every time i try 2 sync songs on2 the player it says some thing ’bout being copywrited! so im like sooooooooo pissed @ this thing!! i need help!!!!!!

Rachel on April 15, 2007 11:49 AM

some of you might be interested in looking at the following site:hyperthinking.us/weblog/2006/02/08/disney-mix-stick-trouble

John on April 21, 2007 11:40 AM

how do u recharge the mis stick? please help!!!!

KELLEY on April 21, 2007 7:50 PM

I have one and to recharge it all you do is plug it to your computer and it automatically charges, but after a while (a couple of months) the inside of it over heats and messes up and when you try to put up the volume the music stops and you have to turn it on and off or keep pressing play for it to start again, thats the biggest problem I have with It, and if you dont have windows media player you can just drag and drop the music in it, instead if synchronizing the music to it.I hope this helped, any more questions just ask me……Dat_Kuban_Chik92@yahoo.com

Andy on April 28, 2007 1:32 AM

For Mac, you need to convert files to mp3. I found this freewarehttp://www.nch.com.au/switch/index.html?ref=google&ref2=c24mp3mac&gclid=CKHh-5zY5IsCFSSDhgodhA6QPAafter it converts the files they show up in your music folder. just drag then to the stick

CrZy L3gZ SLIM on April 28, 2007 6:58 PM

My sister bought the pink one comes with 500 mb of memory. It was hard to get the music on it though it was weird. but i got it on there. i installed that cd thing. then i pulged it in then i went to my drive and it said i needed to format it so i did. then i unplugged and then plugged it back in and it said i need to name it. and i went to windows media player and synced it up and now my sisters happy =)

Marina on June 4, 2007 6:02 PM

I got a mix stick and it doesn’t play, charge, or turn on anymore. I don’t suggest anyone to buy this product. *Go iPods!!!* :)

Marina on June 4, 2007 6:03 PM

Michelle on June 7, 2007 10:10 AM

I am thinking of purchasing the Tinkerbell one for my daughter. We have Napster for downloading. Does anyone know if Napster is compatible? I thought I remember reading in someones review that it was. Thanks for your help:)

Michelle on June 7, 2007 10:10 AM

Karissa on June 10, 2007 2:58 PM

I have no idea about what U guys are complaining about!! My mix stick working great!!! It’s a great deal, it was only 45 dollars of pure fun!!!

Karissa on June 10, 2007 2:58 PM

Karissa on June 10, 2007 2:58 PM

jffeoooooooooooooooossl on June 23, 2007 4:49 PM

jffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffsllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllleooooooooooooooooooslllllllllllllllllllllldffffffffffffffffffffffffffddddddddddddddddddsssssssssssssssssaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;dllllllleoseowawpewfaskfjowsooooooooooowoawof

joshua on July 6, 2007 2:30 AM

very bad product. i am unimpressed. disney really messed up on this thing. i mean it doesnt even have a screen to view your selections. ipod ahoy!

joshua on July 6, 2007 2:30 AM

Lou on July 15, 2007 1:25 PM

My son has the Silver one which worked great til today. Computer does not recognize and it and does not power up or charge. I am thinking it is fried. Way out of warranty. Anyone have any ideas, because the maual and link they mention are not even worth including in the packahe. thanks

Rose on July 19, 2007 12:38 PM

Lou, I second that. Mine has never worked. The computer doesn’t recognize it and Disney says “sorry about your luck”! I am stuck with it.

Verble Klimt on July 20, 2007 8:14 PM

The 128′s and 512′s are on sale at Goodwill (Mpls) for 7.99 ea. Disposable mp3 players!!! Think they came form Target. They sound really ok at that price!!

Sarah on July 22, 2007 1:04 AM

I have had success with the Disney Mix Stick by doing this: (1) Shut down your computer; (2) Plug in the Disney Mix Stick. Since our mix stick wouldn’t fit in the computer’s USB port, I used a USB extension cable and that worked fine; (3) Boot your computer back up; (4) Navigate to “My Computer.” The stick should be recognized as an additional hard drive.It seems that if the stick is plugged in to a computer that is turned on, it won’t be recognized. I don’t have a problem, however, if the computer is booted up with the stick plugged in beforehand.

jazmine on August 9, 2007 7:56 PM

i love mix sticks my mom said im gonna get a shih tzu 4 christmas!!!!!!!(go puppies=})

SkyCat on November 2, 2007 2:22 PM

good for u jazmine!!! my friend is getting a shihtzu too!!!!!

JPE on November 13, 2007 10:30 AM

I got one for my 6 year old kid and it worked fine for 3 days. After that I can not charge it. The computer recognizes it when I plug it in but the light keeps blinking green-red-green but when I plug it out it doesn’t turn on.Any ideas? Does it has to be on the off position while charging? on the on position?My kid is starting to get upset, lol.Please help!

Anna’s mom on November 28, 2007 4:20 PM

I was able to load music on no problem, but the mix stick seems to automatically shuffle the songs & I can’t get it to play them in the original order they were loaded. The instructions say the button should turn off the “random play” mode, but it doesn’t work. I also tried deleting all the songs off & re-sync it, but no luck… any help???

someone on November 28, 2007 5:09 PM

To answer Anna’s mom’s question, your player isn’t in shuffle mode. I used to have one of these things, and I learned that it will play the first track from every cd you put on there, then go on to track 2 and so on. Any help to you??

kirsty on November 29, 2007 9:41 PM

how do you put music inside on my computer i’m confused really really confused

Dawn on December 1, 2007 12:59 PM

Can anyone tell me what kind of cable I need to plug into my computer? And where I can get it.

Jessie on December 3, 2007 12:33 PM

Ok, I’m with JPE about charging it? When do you know it’s charged. And next time everyone open the package before you give the gift and use it to see if it works if not your under warranty from store’s and return if not working. P.S. keep receipts. You can argue your way with one. I’ve done it a million times. So far so good knock on wood.

Shawn on December 9, 2007 2:40 AM

I could use some help, since I’m thinking of buying one for my 9 yr old daughter.1. Does the player have a random/shuffle play mode?2. For those who use it often, is it a problem that the Mix Stix does not have a display?Thanks for your help!

Anna on December 13, 2007 1:12 PM

do i have to buy the seperate songs or it comes in the package well i’m kind of dessapointed because know i don’t know where i should buy it please would you help me by telling me the directions on what to do?

Heather on December 17, 2007 4:42 AM

Hey,I tried to play music on my niece’s mix stick yesterday and I could not even get the SD card to play. I don’t think that there is something wrong with the device because she has two of them and we could not get either one of them to play. And I usually have no problems with things like this. Please help!!!!

araceli on December 24, 2007 5:39 AM

Alright people, I just got my 8 yr old one of these gadgets for Christmas and hearing you all complaining makes me wonder if made a good choice for my daughters Christmas gift. Well good thing is I have the receipt put away in a good place just incase i need to return it :) Wish me luck, lol…..

Bev on December 30, 2007 3:37 PM

Hi,I think I have fixed the problem of the Disney mix stick not being recognized by thecomputer, or Win Media Player.I had the same problem for about 8 months now and today I thought I would give it another chance and what I did worked.First, I put the mix stick into my USB portThen I went to c:\programs\Disney\Mix stick and there was a file called stupdaterapp, Disney Mix Stick Firmware Download Disney, I doubled clicked that and it started downloading, it was the same ver. firmware I already had but I clicked ok anyway, then when it asks you if you want to Format click yes.When it finished I went to windows explore and the disney mix stick would let me drag and drop new music files on it and when I took it out, after ejecting it, the mix stick worked, it plays music again, I thanked God, I was about ready to just throw it away because it would not work at all it just flashed that light it has on it, and my computer did not recognize it at all, but after this it works and my grandaughter was so happy !Please, if this works pass this fix on to everyone, there are alot of people out there with the same problem and maybe this will help them, there is no way I could go to every web site and post this.Good Luck & God Bless !P.S. Let me know if this helped anyone! my e-mail address is bevstutts@charter.net.

Becky on February 5, 2008 9:17 PM

Help! Our mix stix is dead how do you recharge? Do you use the USB on the PC or do you have to buy a charger?

Erin on May 4, 2008 3:10 PM

I think these are pretty cool im getting the smallest one how many songs i could put on it???

alison w. on May 4, 2008 8:50 PM

ummn……….. I do not know how to put music on my music stick please e-mail me if you can tell me how

supertoria12 on August 25, 2008 5:25 PM

I’m 13, and I recieved the Jack Sparrow Mix Stick for my birthday. I love it! I have downloaded the songs from my favorite CDs so I can listen to them on the go. The only bad thing is that somehow I downloaded soundclips I had made for school projects onto my Mix Stick, although I didn’t mean to. Overall, I think the Mix Stick is a very convienent and affordable way to listen to music.

aje on August 30, 2008 12:07 PM

hey when i turn on my mixstick and press play the yellow light flashes and the green light does’nt come on and no music plays though i have music on my mixstick please help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ali on September 13, 2008 11:22 AM

Are there any skins for the players? It’s funny, Disney offers skins for every other device but their own….Hopefully somebody out there has done it or will do it in the future!

Rhea on November 12, 2008 7:04 PM

I got the Tinkerbell mix Stick for myself last December, and I loved it so much I got my 12 year old son the “Pirates of the Caribbean” one for Christmas. Neither of us has had any problems with them. Also, even though the specs state that the battery lasts “about 8 hours,” I’ve found that (on a full charge) it’s usually closer to 10 hours. As for the sound quality, it sounds fine to me. All of my music is sampled at 128 mbps (on my computer, I rip at 360 mbps, but I downsample to 128 to save space on my mp3 players).For the person asking about the lack of a display: It’s not really an issue for me or my son. I use mine at work, so I don’t have time to sit around staring at my Mix Stick. Besides, all the songs I put on it are songs I already know and like, so I don’t need to see what I’m listening to (because I already recognize it). FWIW, I also have a ZVue media player, and I set it to “blank screen” to save battery power.The only issue I have with my Mix Stick is the same issue I’ve had with my ZVue and every other personal music device I’ve used. Since it gets banged around while I’m working, the earbud jack is a bit loose, and every now and then I have to jiggle the earbud plug to make a satisfactory connection. But, again, this is an issue I’ve had with other devices that have an exposed audio out jack.

Rhea on November 12, 2008 7:10 PM

I forgot to add: Even though the documentation states that you can use up to a 512 MB SD card, I have used 1 GB cards with no problem, and I’ve been using a 2 GB card for over 6 months. It does seem to skip some songs, but that could just be a problem with the way the mp3′s are encoded, since it’s always the same songs that get skipped every time (whether they are on the internal memory or the SD card).

Jim on November 18, 2008 7:59 PM

This thing is pretty easy to use but kind of klunky. To add music just use it like a thumb(flash) drive and drag stuff into the appropriate folder

DAVE on January 4, 2009 7:34 PM

SIMPLE??? NOW I KNOW WHY I HAVE IPODS! THIS THING IS USELESS.

mix stick hater on January 16, 2009 10:22 PM

this so called mp3 player is so lame i want to puke

bmom on January 27, 2009 8:10 PM

help-my son has a ton of songs on his mix stick and now wants to hear the songs from a mix clip…where are they? How do we go directly to those songs??

lisa on March 28, 2009 9:59 AM

CAN ANYONE TELL HOW TO REMOVE OLD MUSIC AND ADD NEW PLEASE HELP

4ever a princess on April 18, 2009 12:55 PM

yeah how do I add music????

Anon on June 6, 2009 8:32 PM

There are at least two versions of the “guts” of these devices. We have two purchased at least a year apart. The first will only work on win98 or winXP and only with a special driver from the CD it comes with, no driver found for Vista and I have not found the driver for any OS on the Web. The second version is recognized as a regular USB flash drive on XP and Vista. We are giving my daughter an old shuffle to replace her stick that won’t work with our computers.

Katana on September 2, 2009 10:29 PM

you know what i’ve learned. you can get a much better mp3 player for like 20 bucks at your local electronics store that works fine, with no headaches and no huge price tag. i have an ipod shuffle…it’s ok…. my daughter has this mix stick thing…it works….half the time. but with both this and the ipod i cant see/tell if the thing is working or not. i got a 25 buck no name mp3 player that has a digital display…so when i see a song on display..the thing is working…turn up the volume this mix stick i cant tell a damn thing especially if u got a song that starts out real low in volume…how do u know if the thing is working? all you pay for with ipod/disney is just that…the name….

SickNTired on April 18, 2010 2:58 PM

I just spent about 4 hours trying to get it to work on my PC. I will never let my wife buy any electronics ever again. It is the biggest piece of junk I have ever dealt with.I got it to work for about half a second through Windows Media Player 11. Then when I rolled back to 10 as it says in the manual it wouldn’t work at all.DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT UNLESS YOU WANT TO WASTE SEVERAL HOURS OF YOUR LIFE YOU WILL NEVER GET BACK.

Rej on May 15, 2010 8:26 AM

Just paid $12.00 for my mix-stick…plug it in… got my music and it works great…my 5 year old will love it

CW on May 27, 2010 10:29 AM

Ok. A friend gave my kid one of these, and it is deader than a door knob. I plugged it into the usb port on my laptop, which works fine with everything else, and it will not charge. The instrucitons say there is supossed to be a flashing red/green light. But, there is nothing at all. I even tried a usb extender, still nothing. Has anybody else had this problem? Or, is mine defective?