Charging Your USB MP3 Players Without a Computer

sima usb ac car Charging Your USB MP3 Players Without a Computer

An AC to USB charger is your on-the-go charging solution. This is not a new technology and may seem like an obvious solution to some, but I get a lot of emails from people looking for a wall charger for their MobiBLU Cube or their Samsung Z5 for when they are traveling and don’t have access to a computer. So for all you USB-charging-MP3-player-toting fools, this one is for you.

There are many of these types USB wall chargers out there, but I particularly like the compact size and fold up design of this one. It is made by Sima (SUP-USB) and includes a car as well as a home charger. They can both be obtained for under twenty-five bucks at many B&M and online electronics retailers

sima samsung z5 Charging Your USB MP3 Players Without a Computer

sima mobiblu dah 1500 Charging Your USB MP3 Players Without a Computer

Sima also makes a universal adapter that will replace most AC/DC adapter with the included adapter tips. Also included is a car adapter and Europen plug (not shown) for use on your holidays across the pond. I was tipped off by an iRiver fan that uses this particular adapter as a spare. It is a little pricey, but it will cover almost all of your AC to DC, DC to DC, and US to EU needs.

sima ac package Charging Your USB MP3 Players Without a Computer

sima ac adapter Charging Your USB MP3 Players Without a Computer

Plan303e on April 18, 2006 3:38 AM

Yet another great article. Also, thanks for the opportunity for first post.I was thinking about getting the mobiBlu AC adapter, but there might come another MP3 player that would replace it. Glad I held out and happened to stumble upon this, though I visit your site frequently enough.More kudos to people who are willing to explore for more rather than settle.

Noam on April 18, 2006 4:28 PM

Nice. I’ve been looking for something of the sort.Oh, and you misspelled “twnty” in “twnty five bucks”. ;)

Peebert on April 18, 2006 7:56 PM

I know this is AnythingButIpod, but iPod makes a USB power adapter that’s compact and streamlined, and it also works with my MobiBlu cube.

sylikc on April 18, 2006 9:11 PM

Nice product! I like the car 12V to 5V :D . As for AC-DC…

Wall chargers don’t necessarily have to be specialized devices. You could pick up a very inexpensive (sub $10) USB hub at your local retailer or even online. Most of these come with a slim AC-DC with a relatively short cord. With that, you could charge something like 4 devices with a slim hub and an AC adapter!

For $25 bux, a small brick and a car charger ain’t a bad deal though.

/sylikc

JKE on April 19, 2006 9:19 PM

Oh yeah, nice products. I just got my EUR 7,99 usb charger today (like that ultimate adapter thing) and i am very pleased with it. Why? Because of its weight! Perfect for my next safari ;-) Mobile phone => usb cablePMP => usb cable(camera…)One charger that fits them all. Simple, but one of the best accessories for the gadgetworld.

jim on May 10, 2006 11:39 PM

Does This Work for the ipod 1 gig.

EnzoTen on May 11, 2006 8:22 AM

yes, _Any_ USB MP3 Player

gemini on May 11, 2006 12:28 PM

I have a Creative Zen Microphoto player, creative’s wall charger is around 30 bucks, so I saw this AC to USB charger (Mobiblu DAH-1500i_AC-Chargerpad) and I got it .When I used it for the first time it charged my player very good, I left it all night and in the morning it was fully charged, but yesterday I did the same and when I woke up this morning the player was still charging and the battery meter showed less than a half charged.Do you know if this charger is good for my zen? or what could be the problem here?It worked the first time, and even my brother used it for his ipod.

jim pope on May 27, 2006 4:09 AM

will any of the external chargers work with the sandisk e250 mp3?

airh3ad on June 11, 2006 11:56 PM

will this one work with the iriver clixi love my clix and i dont want my battey to fry

Kenneth on June 30, 2006 4:32 AM

Seems Creative made a design change on the MicroPhoto, in that to get a proper charge, the unit must be hooked to a proper USB port, or a charger that ties into the data lines. Using a standard car 12v to USB charger results in a meager trickle charge, as the data lines are absent.

vidyul on July 28, 2006 12:55 PM

hi i bought a yp z5 samsung 1gb mp3 player today.i have no idea how to charge it.i dint knw wht kind of charger i have to buy.plz guide me with the best option.

mudoggy on August 9, 2006 7:09 PM

so, can you plug in a USB hub and charge multiple units with this?

Noam on September 10, 2006 11:09 AM

You probably can.

608zz on September 12, 2006 3:12 PM

I prefer to ditch the whole internal-charging aspect altogether. Non-video devices can efficiently use a single AA battery if they’re flash-based and have a monochrome screen (keep the backlight turned off).

Kenneth on September 14, 2006 3:50 PM

Some more info on charging the Zen MicroPhoto. I hooked up an i-rocks 4-port USB hub to the Zen without connecting to a PC, and it gave a trickle charge. I powered up a PC, connected the hub and Zen and it started charging at full rate. I powered off the PC and the Zen continued to charge at the full rate. This confirms that the Zen Microphoto needs to have the Data lines initiated to start the full charge rate, meaning that universal USB chargers won’t deliver a full charge to the Zen directly. BTW, I mention the i-rocks USB hub because this is the only hub I’ve found that provides 5-volts to the USB ports without being connected to a PC.

Kenneth on September 14, 2006 3:58 PM

Using standard AA batteries is a non-starter for me. Who wants leaking cells and disposing of them is becoming a problem in many states. I use lithium and Ni-Mh batteries in many devices, particularly LED night lights, flashlights, etc. I also charge these using solar energy and computer controlled chargers.

Kenneth on September 14, 2006 4:11 PM

To extend the playing time of the Zen Micro while on the go, I’m using 4 Ni-Mh AA batteries (2700mA-Hr) placed into a belt clip holder and made a special connector to plug into the Zen. Now it can play all day and not lose much of a charge. 4 Ni-Mh batteries yields the same voltage you’d expect from a USB port. This of course only gives a trickle charge but it’s enough to extend playing time considerably.

Tuki Medaber on October 3, 2006 12:37 PM

thank you very much for your help. You guys 74854 rock, thanks again.

Tachyon on November 15, 2006 1:06 PM

Reading all the reviews and stories like this one makes me wonder if nobody else got a Mobiblu Cube like I did. Mine (and my wife’s) came with just such a charger. A small wallwart with a female USB plug on it to plug in the included mobiblu ‘standard’ USB cable.

satya on December 23, 2006 5:04 AM

Can I use this adaptor for my Iriver clix.I have used the Apple ac adaptor but it hasnt worked with clix.I need one adaptor to charge my clix.

Sagan on January 10, 2007 2:17 PM

i have a microphoto and have the same problem, cant charge it with generic usb wall chargers, they all give only trickle chargeis there no usb charger that can initiate data lines besides the creative one?

Brad Merrion on January 29, 2007 9:21 PM

i own a creative zen vision M and i love it. i recently bought a Dynex accessory pack and i seem to have problems with most of the accesories. one of these being a usb wall adapter similar to the one shown above. i am having the same problem with the charger only Trickle charging my mp3 player. is there any way to send a data line to start and then use the power adapter to charge it the rest of the way? im just trying to find a way to justify keeping this power adapter and not having to buy the expensive creative charger.Thanks, Brad

K.E on February 19, 2007 2:17 PM

A great find and a great buy. Both the AC and Car charger are light weight and very portable. A huge plus is that it will not only charge the MP3 player, but power it too while you listen. Something I couldn’t do while my Samsung K5 was plugged into a PC for charging. So, it makes a wonderful option to running on the MP3 player’s internal battery.

Jimmy on February 24, 2007 10:52 PM

I own iPod, Creative Vision W and iriver clix. The USB wall charger works on iPod but it won’t work on iriver clix. iriver screen will show “USB connected” but it won’t charge. It did work at the first time but it won’t work after that. It will charge only if connected to computer. I thought my iriver was broken but after I read the above comments, I think it is like Creative Microphoto. (Vision W comes with wall charger so it does not bother me.)The bad thing is iriver sells no wall charger for clix at all.

Marissa on August 5, 2007 11:30 PM

The Dynex products absolutely are a waste of anyones time. They are crap. I used my wall charger for Apple iPod and Creative Zen and after one use, it completely stopped working.

kingkong on August 23, 2007 4:39 AM

just gotta zen vision m 60gb.connected the supplied usb cable from the zen into a universal travel adaptor (that you can buy at airports), that handles usb cables as well.plugged that into the wall & …no charge.my old ipod mini charges fine.

Beowulf on December 7, 2007 3:14 PM

This is a great start, but what if I want a multi-charger? For example, a USB hub that doens’t need to be hooked up to a computer that can still trip the data lines to get a full charge started? Does such an animal yet exist?

ComputerWoot on April 19, 2008 12:56 AM

If people are still reading this then you should know something before you charge all your electronics from now on.”Overcharging a battery causes it to overheat damage to the battery, causing degraded performance and eventual failure. As a general rule, do not charge a battery for more than 24 hours. Overcharging can create a loss in your batteries ability to hold a Electrical charge.”Now you know,Don’t leave your phone, MP3, or PMP player charging overnight. Charge it while your awake and you can notice when it is fully charged.

Evan Tracey on October 20, 2008 4:15 PM

Doe this work with the goodmans gmp34g6 as i am going on holiday and won’t have acces to a computer to charge it

carolann on January 16, 2009 2:20 PM

ineed my mp3 to charge by a cumputer now

jo on May 11, 2009 10:42 AM

Will the USB wall charger work with an RCA Opal 4gb MP3 player?

Steve on August 24, 2009 7:07 PM

I’m looking for an 8 port+ USB charger hub that will pull more then 7A from the wall. Any ideas?

ChuckW on September 29, 2009 2:48 PM

If anybody is still following this topic…I was having the same “trickle charge only’ issue using generic USB chargers with my Creative Zen Microphoto. I bought the 2.4 amp rated Creative charger at a clearance price of $5 at a local Wal-marta while ago. The charger output is the typical 2 circuit pin and barrel plug. It came with a mini-USB adapter for use with the Microphoto and it does charge quickly. I used an ohm meter on the adapter and found that pin #4 has a 1000 ohm resistor to pin #1 (+5 VDC) and a 2000 ohm resistor to pin #5 (Ground). This puts about 3.3 VDC on pin #4 and may be the signal to the player to use fast, high current, charging. The data line pins are left open on the adapter.

momhed on October 15, 2009 7:14 PM

hay this is stupaid

jeremy on January 10, 2010 4:26 PM

Hello,I bought a cheap mp3 player (GPX MW249S). I bought it to play 24/7 for on hold music and background music for the office. Would you recomend this? do I need to you my regular triple a battery, get a rechargable battery or just take the battery out and keep it plugged in.Any help you be appreciated.