SonicStage Alternatives

sonic stage logo SonicStage Alternatives

SonicStage is Sony’s Achilles heel when it comes to their line of Network Walkmans. The program is packaged with all new Sony MP3 players and it is necessary to get music onto your player. It has improved some over the last year but it is still a resource hog hindered by computer authorization schemes locking your music onto your player.

One day Sony will come to their senses and include UMS support for the Walkman, until then here are some tools to make your experience better.

Vaio Link

Vaio Link is a very simple application that allows you to drop MP3 files into a window transferring music to the player. But this is all it will do; you cannot manage media with Vaio Link. Additionally, it does not allow you to get music back from the player. Get Vaio Link

MP3 File Manager

MP3 File Manager is a minimalist approach and it still allows you to somewhat manage your media. The program is a single screen where you drag and drop tracks to the window. The tracks will immediately transfer to the player, but slowly. Unlike the Vaio Link program, MP3 File Manager does allow you to delete media from the device. Sill, there is no option to get music back from the player. This is probably the best solution to transfer music to your player. The nice thing about this application is that it is not installed on your computer, the exe file resides on the Network Walkman so you can run the program on any Windows computer that supports UMS devices. Get MP3 File Manager

GYM – Grab Your Music

GYM is an open source piece of software that will let you to get MP3s off of your Network Walkman back to your computer without authorization. This piece of software also allows you to play music directly from the player through your computer. The interface is slick and easy to use. The downside of this program is you are not able to transfer ATRAC files back, it only works with MP3s. Get GYM

Nanda on April 10, 2006 5:11 AM

Can any of these softwares work with NW-HD5?

Joey on April 24, 2006 11:11 PM

I’m desperate for software that works with the HD-1. Sonicstage crashes my computer, and I’m afraid I’m left with a 200 dollar paperweight. Any help?

EnzoTen on April 27, 2006 3:56 PM

I belive all of these work for all sony players

R Shah on May 3, 2006 2:27 PM

Has there ever been an official response from Sony regarding the awful Sonicstsge s/w I mean are they so arrogant that they think they can compete with Apple by producing quality rival product and shipping them with poor sub standard software?

J Goodband on May 7, 2006 12:30 PM

Does anybody know of some similar software that will work with WMA’s of a good WMA to MP3 converter?Thanks Goodband

Al Gooding on May 8, 2006 6:30 PM

Any of these work with the A-1000?

ltmayonnaise on June 2, 2006 12:00 PM

Yeah check out ML_SONY, a plugin for winamp. It can work with all of the sony HDD players I think. I have an A-1000 and it works fine for me. No artist link or ratings or advanced features or anything, but it can transfer music to and from your player and the music on your player is playable directly through winamp (with an additional atrac3 plugin installed).Download here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mlsonyForums here: http://www.atraclife.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1528

John on June 3, 2006 1:18 AM

Does any one knows any converters that makes the songz smaller some shit like that………

Zetman on June 10, 2006 12:23 PM

http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net/everything you could want and more. It does require some rudimentary knowledge of file types though. I’d never used anything but CDex before and I figured out all I needed to know in about 15 min. (that may just be me)

kassad on June 16, 2006 3:41 AM

ML_SONY associated with Winamp5 Media Library is my favourite :)

Marian on June 30, 2006 4:49 PM

Hi I have an flash player NW-E003 but dosen’t work with “mp3 file manager”. Dose anyone why? The problem is in the instalation, the software don’t found my device.

Samurai on July 15, 2006 7:08 AM

NW-E003 Software:http://www.vaio-link.com/Vaiopocket/downloads/downloads.asp?l=en&f=VMTUI haven’t used it, but it was on Wikipedia so I’m sure it’s been tried and tested. I hope this helps.

Sling on July 26, 2006 6:15 AM

Cheers SamuraiIf anyone is curious Vaio Music Transfer (see link above) will tranfer mp3s directly and wma by converting to atrac. I tried uploading aac files too but it wouldn’t upload or convert them

HELP!! on July 31, 2006 10:32 AM

help!! i tried nw-a1000 with the ML_SONY, at first it would only let me transfer per soneg…then i tried it by album…winamp crashed…when i tired it again, it wont even let me transfer one song…i then tried my connect player, and now even that one wont let me transfer too!!!

Marian on August 11, 2006 10:52 AM

The Vaio Software dind’t work.The solution to my problem I found in:http://www.atraclife.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2075is a new version of the MP3FM.Is very basic, but work perfectly!!

lee on August 15, 2006 7:44 AM

i cannot transfer the music on my nw-hd5 (done on an old pc) onto my new laptop………is there any way it can be done folks….very annoyed

Smacky_Wolf on August 30, 2006 8:21 AM

Anyone hear any news of a Linux version? I have a shiny little NW-E003, which I love with all my heart, but currently have to go to a windows PC to actually do anything with my music. Not even VMWare can do it for me. =/

Tom on September 1, 2006 4:36 PM

Whats The best solution for A3000. Connect Player is really bad trying Sonic Stage 4.0 now maybe its had some improvmenets or something.

jimmy on September 8, 2006 5:15 AM

Jiri on September 19, 2006 7:05 PM

But nwe00xmp3man doesn’t work properly under FC5 and NW-E003. No file list. No data transfer (perhaps still problem with sensitivity to capitals). I have tried version *08 according to author recomendation but although it shows few things still it is the same. Not work at all. That is pity but I believe next version will solve it.

Marvin on October 8, 2006 2:07 PM

THANKS!!!

carlo on October 9, 2006 5:32 PM

i have the nw e003f, work with that?

ramon on October 19, 2006 12:04 AM

Hi I have a nw-hd1 which seems to have very rare baking in the net and just got the ss4.0cp which of course tells me that the files on my comp are from another comp (just reformatted). Is there any way for me to put music on my player without having to format it.thanks

architektura on October 20, 2006 2:08 PM

Why-o-why Sony won’t get it right at last!? The hardware is so sweet…

Suicidel sony on October 22, 2006 2:32 PM

sony are poo greedy greedy greedy, you cant organise your own music propaly because they want you to but their’s. Best mp3 player i have had but software is shite.

suicidel sony on October 22, 2006 2:35 PM

By the way i-pods are a load of poo ! but the software is good maybe sony and apple should join forces !

SUICIDEL SONY on October 22, 2006 2:40 PM

I have got 320 albums and loads of mixed folders on my sony nw-HD 1 alot of these are very rare and took me a long long time to find and to put on to my device,all im trying to say isSONY SORT IT OUT STOP BUILDING DANCING DOGS AND ROBOTS AND MAKE US SOME SOFTWARE WE CAN ACTUALLY USE.PRETTY PLEASE.

chris on October 26, 2006 3:52 PM

Is the above MP3 fil manager software compatible with a NW-HD1?If so which download should I pick?Please help…

Mizzsan on November 10, 2006 12:04 PM

ARRGG!! I just got a replacement for a faulty mp3 player from sony and they gave me the new NW-E003F and it seems that I *have to* use the damned SonicStage software.The file manager (link above) doesn’t work for this unit and the Vaio software (link above) won’t even open for me – I always get an error message.SonicStage is bad enough that I might have to get rid of this unit…I want my old one back!!

Dara on November 22, 2006 11:41 AM

can anyone tell me what plugins i need to add to sonicstage to put wma files on to my nw-a1000?? thanks

natalie on November 26, 2006 6:00 PM

I have a Sony NW-E003F mp3 player and sonic stage isnt reallt working :( anyother programmes work with transfering music to it?

buriiii on December 6, 2006 4:33 PM

Anyone help me pls. I have a sony NW-E207 and i use suse. But sonicstage doesnt work for linux. What can i do. Is there any chance to transfer my mp3 files to my walkman ?

kenden on December 12, 2006 6:24 AM

buriii,Did you try jimmy”s solution above?”The answer to all your troubles is here:http://sourceforge.net/projects/nwe00xmp3manIt works with both Linux and windows.This SW even in Beta is VERY great!”

Limpopoking on December 18, 2006 5:05 AM

Circa 1975:Memo to rocket scientists at Sony Corp.Ah so! surely not make same mistake as betamax! Sank you

Kev on December 18, 2006 6:29 AM

I would like to know how to to get all my music files off of sonic stage and onto another music manager, eg windows media. I have a new player and its not a sony.Thanks if you can help..

chloe on December 20, 2006 6:50 PM

i have a new computer and i have lost the cd which came with my mp3 and i cant download sonicstage! i will need a canadian version and on e that will work on an imac thankyo fir any help!! please email me with a llink or somethin

sonic stage sucks! on December 28, 2006 7:09 AM

I have a sony bean, and I have tryed the mp3 file manager thingy but that is only mp3s, it does work but i can only get 200 songs on my bean. Is there one for sony flash players that does ATRAC files at 48kbps so that I can get 650ish songs.

Dustin Beattie on December 29, 2006 2:21 AM

PS3′s Portrait Slideshow Face Detection..

john fawcett on January 8, 2007 1:51 PM

Can anyone help please ? I have the 40gb VGF-AP1 portable music player. I ‘lost’ a lot of my music so in desperation I uploaded the stored music to my PC and re-formatted the player. WAAAAAAA !!! now it won’t download it all back. I can get 1400 0f my 3900 tracks to download but the rest won’t even though they appear in ‘my library’

mikeb on January 13, 2007 5:41 AM

i just bought an a2000 and sonic stage wont even load what do i do HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Morgan on January 19, 2007 8:36 AM

all im trying to say isSONY SORT IT OUT STOP BUILDING DANCING DOGS AND ROBOTS AND MAKE US SOME SOFTWARE WE CAN ACTUALLY USE.couldn’t have said it better myself….have struggled with sonic stage for years.

fed up on January 20, 2007 12:01 PM

ive just bought a new a1200 8GB and cant make sonicstage work,ive tried ALL the above mentioned programmes and am now left with the worlds most expensive mantle ornament,im gutted,ive had 3 people on the case,all of them computer professionals,now i have to take this lovely looking player back and try and find something else decent,going to be hard for the money and i really wanted to keep the sony,but after one day i give up,there’s only so many hours you cantry.it’s a bad move according to some but i find my only alternative is an ipod.

Andrian on January 28, 2007 12:13 PM

Please help! I have NW-MS70D. MP3FM, voidMP3fm dont work, Sonic Stage 4.2 work incorrectly (does not tranfer 90% of files). Are there another solution? How can I solve this problem?

Ben on January 29, 2007 9:26 AM

SonicStage is the worst piece of ass software i’ve ever come across with!SHAME ON YOU SONY!

Rob on February 1, 2007 2:27 PM

I try and open sonic stage 3.2 and 4.3 and neither of them work. It comes up with an error message that says Omgjbox.exe has closed. Then the whole thing shuts down. I have got a Sony NW-E002. Does anyone have anything i can do

Zerita on February 2, 2007 11:50 PM

Hello makakas!!! [url=So many spammers here :( ][/url]

Anonymous on February 4, 2007 1:54 AM

I regret that I bought sony nw e003f walkman. I expected to just drag and drop mp3 files into the player and it should work but it not. Instead, I had to install the software that came with the player, which is a piece of rubbish. It causes my CPU to run at 100% everytime it runs, and causes all sort of software confiict, and it is also not user friendly at all.Up until sony change the firmware which allow drag and drop MP3 files to the player, get rid of sonicstage or at least improve this piece of sh#$t, I would not recommend this player to anybody. KEEP AWAY FROM IT

james on February 5, 2007 9:39 PM

where can i download the sonic stage version 3.3?

Bel on February 11, 2007 4:11 AM

I just purchased the NW-S205F 2GB MP3 Player. But when I go to install the SonicStage 4.0 CD, it gets half way through the installation, then says “Installation process for SonicStage 4.0 has been terminated (2051, 20697).” PLEASE HELP!

tommy on February 13, 2007 9:39 AM

I just bought the new NW-S703 Walkman flash-player. Can anyone give me a hint for another software, cause the SONICSTAGE is a piece of crap and i wish not to use it any longer.The vaio software takes about 10min for 1 album, thus its also no alternative! The player itself is perfect, but the software is awful!!I would be pleased for every comment.

Phillip on February 19, 2007 4:30 PM

Ive been having to use sonicstage and or beatjam (sharps version of sonicstage) for 3 years now.i have been always searching for an alternative with no luck. beatjam is just as bad as sonicstage. if i find a program tat can replace these cursed pieces of software ill be sure to shout about it.

Miguel on February 20, 2007 8:57 AM

Does not transfer WMA protected files?

Jimmy on February 24, 2007 5:59 PM

Anyone know of any music transfer software for the NW-A300?

gary j schuster on March 7, 2007 10:49 PM

i have an older net mz-n707 player. sonicstage caused serious computer crashes on both my older viao and my new hp laptop running vista. i tried the loading the older simple burner program but i keep getting an error message saying i have to log on as a power user or administrator. i am the damn administrator– many help out there thank you gary

John Sheehan on March 9, 2007 4:01 AM

Sonic stage will not work on my Mac. Anyone got any suggestions for an alternate way of uploading music from my Mac to my MP3?

Funky_DJ on March 12, 2007 2:08 AM

any of these alts work on Net MD players? I’ve got a MZ-N710 and after struggling to work with SonicStage1.5 – I impetuously upgraded to 4.3.The GUI’s great but I seem to have the small problem of not being able to interface with the NetMD player anymore!!!If anyone has experienced something similar pls help me out and answer the following:1> Is there a version of Sonicstage later than 1.5 that is any good for me?2> Is there a viable alternative to get mp3s onto minidiscs(as atrac)?3> Has anyone been able to get anything out of sony re the shocking software they keep releasing?

loy on March 12, 2007 5:43 AM

I’m currently in the Philippines and am planing on having a NW-S203 sent to me from the US. I know for a fact that sonicstage will not work in this country(tried it for my HD). I was wondering if the programs linked above will allow me to use the NW-S203 device while I am in asia(bypassing the sonicstage block). All I want are to be able to load 1 Gig of Mp3s into it. Thanks in advance.

dadbrook on March 21, 2007 4:59 AM

To Convert Sony protected music to MP3, I use NoteBurner which uses a very smart method to convert any protected music to MP3, WAV or WMA. It supports any media player software if the music player software supports burning music to normal CD-R. http://www.noteburner.com is the website. You may have a try.

Kirby on March 22, 2007 2:26 AM

I just bought an NW-A1200. I updated everything using sonic stage 2.3 I believe. I then realized that I was missing some features due to not using 4.0 or 4.3 whatever one they supplied. So, after doing all that, now when I try to search through the artists, the index doesn’t work anymore. I can’t scroll through the names by each letter. Any ideas?

suwii on March 24, 2007 12:48 AM

yes SonicStage is the crappest bit of software I have ever seen in my life. Sometimes it works – sometimes it doesn’t. It’s inconsistency kills me. I’m stuck and confused as to which things to download..*MEGA SIGH*

suwii on March 24, 2007 2:27 AM

Forgot to say i have a Sony NW-E003F…piece of poo..what can I use instead of SonicStage!? Everything seems so hard to install!!

PISSED on March 24, 2007 6:44 PM

I have the Sony-E003F MP3…THIS IS A PIECE OF SHIT…THAT’S ALL. The money I spent for this crap would’ve been better spent on a car. Yep, I would’ve gotten better service from on $85 car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

suwii on March 25, 2007 3:44 AM

You wouldn’t believe it. My MP3 is still under warranty and i’m so sick of it so tried going back to the shop to return it. The guy tried it himself and said it worked! HA! yeah bullsh*t so can’t do nothing about it. I hate that piece of crap….biggest waste of money ever…

Oldskeptic on April 2, 2007 1:09 PM

My HD1 refuses to create a database and sonicstage hangs up when I try to connect to it . My advice : throw this junk away and buy something that does work . Time to boycott Sony products until they make this pile of junk usable .

Tony on April 3, 2007 4:37 PM

I would never ever recommend a Sony again! To me, Sony has lost all their respect with this piece of useless crap. I mainly (only) uses Linux at home and since this NW-E003 was intended as my musicplayer in my car, I am truly disappointed. I did not have many uses of the player so I let it taste the hammer, and the one that gives me a Sony for free is my enemy

Brad on April 4, 2007 10:19 PM

I’ve got an HD1 and have had it for several years. It’s a great piece of equipment and I love it. It came with SonicStage 2.0. Now, this is by no means a great piece of software (slow to import folders because it doesn’t do drag and drop), but it at least recognized that 1 folder = 1 album, or “group” as it would call it. These new versions though…..man. I guess Sony just assumes that everyone only has albums that are by one artist each. Yep, compilation albums don’t exist according to them. It is WAY too cumbersome to bother assembling one. Sigh. I doubt any of these apps will work for me, so I’ll probably just end up re-installing 2.0. If I can just find the CD…

Steve on April 8, 2007 4:48 AM

I have a PSP, and I’m trying to make some ATRAC3plus for it, but this piece of crap won’t let me! It freezes when I connect my PSP and when I open Task Manager, what the $h!t?! It’s using 106MB of my fucking memory?! Crap. Maybe I’ll stick to WMA.

a on April 8, 2007 10:31 AM

I have an NW-HD5, but am incresingly fed up with SOnic Stage. I can’t get Vaio or MP3 File Manager to work. Is there a way of usng WMP to do it?

pichon on April 10, 2007 10:20 PM

help i have net MD MZ-S1 i instal the software sonicstage 4.3 and when the transfer files i see the message the files failed, please i´m creasy for this i need a solution

Nathan on April 19, 2007 7:58 AM

sorry i don’t know where to put this question.has somebody got a way around the sonicstage protection system?in which u can’t transfer files from your player back to the PC if the original file isn’t in the PC.i’ve got my PC reformatted so yeah i’ve lost those files and i want to retrieve it as those in my HD5 are seriously the last remaining bulk.is there a way? thx

Lee on April 29, 2007 10:44 AM

Having read all of the above there is still no clear answer, is there a replacement or alternative programme I can use to transfer files to MiniDisk. Sonic Stage 4.2 no longer recognises that I have my minidisk connected to the PC and therefore I cannot get any new files to minidisk.Help

Slick Sheldon on April 29, 2007 10:48 AM

I am sick because I like Sonic Stage. It ALWAYS works for me. And I would like to know if there are plugins so I can use non-sony music players too.

Larry on April 29, 2007 1:56 PM

Has anyone had any luck using Sonic Stage with Vista? I got a new computer and tried the Sonic Stage upgrade and it crashed my computer twice! The Sony people said it was a Vista problem and the computer people said it was a Sony problem and I had to do a complete system restore. Can anyone help?

adorable on May 2, 2007 5:36 PM

many ways to transfer files easily w/o sonic stage to NW-E003F:1. voidmp3fm works fine on the e003f series. Sometimes crashes in the middle of a transfer, so open it up again, then delete all of the files you transfered before the crash, and try again. (otherwise, you’ll leave half-empty files hanging around) Not bad at all – lets me dump MP3s to and from the NW-E003F w/o any problems.get the OMGAUDIO.zip from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=174319Wipe the entire contents of the player – delete all files (maybe backup the files 1st? smart idea, right?), the open up the OMGAUDIO.zip and drop it into the player. (you’ll need this OMGAUDIO.zip contents on the player, not the original one for whatever reason for voidmp3fm to work)drop the voidmp3fm unzipped file into the player’s root directory. Start it up, and transfer away!2. Some say ml_sony103 winamp plugin works great for them. Use Winamp 5.33 until they fix the plugin to work with 5.34 or higher.3. http://david.dw-perspective.org.uk/Sony-NW-E00X-Walkman-On-Linux-FreeBSD-MacOSX-etc.htmlFull instructions for this Linux method.

1337 Turkey on May 2, 2007 8:34 PM

Fudge I use the mp3fm thing but all the sudden it doesn’t work, it gives me an you can’t do this icon when i try to drag and drop?? WTF!!!!!!111!!!

K loves his wifey on May 2, 2007 11:40 PM

After noticing that my original 256 mb no-name mp3 player finally died (after 3 years). My beautiful, loving wife surprised me with a NW-E003F for Christmas! I had been looking around for something with drag-and-drop capabilities but she was so excited to get me a “gadget she KNEW I’d love…” It’s beautiful and sounds great but, the SonicStage has torn my heart out! If I don’t find replacement software, she will soon notice that I no longer roam around with the player grafted to my ears. HELP!!!! I’ve tried a number of “alternatives” but non will let my music files play on the player once they’re transferred; by the way, this all started after my old computer crashed and burned…..’nuff said?

Durncrag on May 3, 2007 3:46 AM

i bought a nw-e002 and sonicstage doesn’t worked from the beginning.so i try many more alternatives, and finally come up to thishttp://sourceforge.net/projects/mlsonyit’s simply a winamp plugin, and it’s a little bugged too, but 90% of times it work correctly…my 2 cent

no clue on May 12, 2007 10:29 PM

I am terrible at this tech stuff.When lost a lot of info on my puter and my sonic stage that I used with my nw-e507 I freaked. Didn’t know what to do, tried that sourceforge and didn’t work for me.I went to download.com and had to download sonic stage 3.3 all over.Was very easy for me and easy to use.Hope this works for u all!Would give u hyperlink, but like I said terrible at this stuff, so if it works for me…..should be easy for you!download.com

Jeremy on May 15, 2007 10:25 PM

will any of these work with a MZ-N420D

Wiezman on May 28, 2007 7:14 AM

Works great with my NW-S705.I manage my music using other applications and transferring the files using the Vaio Link as the SonicStage 4.3 crashed all the time.Thanks.

Andrew on May 29, 2007 11:46 PM

What works best for NW-S205F??

Alison on May 31, 2007 8:42 AM

Hey I love my E003F but my computer died and now I have a new computer with Vista. I can’t open sonicstage at all because it says the database is being used by another program or the database can’t be accessed for some other reason. I’ve deinstalled it and reinstalled it and spent hours on it and I just want to put some more music on from the new computer and to copy the music from my MP3 player back on to the computer cos I lost it al when the old computer died. Does anyone know a fix on some software or whatever cos this is making me crazy

Joe on June 6, 2007 6:14 AM

Is there any way known to man that I can transfer from my MD player (MZ-N910) to CD? I’ve got several albums that I’d like to convert to CD, but I can’t!!If anyone knows how to convert the tracks to mp3, that would also help loads!Thanks!

Juli on June 6, 2007 3:02 PM

Please forgive a stupid ignorant question – but I have the NW-S706 with Sonicstage 4 (piece of crap but what you gonna do!!), and just bought a good condition used NW-HD5 (not arrived yet.)What I read about the HD5 is it only supports bitrates up to 256 Atrac etc etc – is this controlled by the sonicstage software or the player itself? I can use a lot more formats with the 706, but not sure if it’s because of the unit itself – or because it’s a later version of sonicstage. You all seem to know a bit about just about everything, so if anyone can help me. . .

Juli on June 6, 2007 9:32 PM

And please can anyone tell me if they’ve managed to do a side-by-side comparison with the HD5 and the 706?I’m curious because I love the sound of the 706, much better than the new A808 which (to me) felt really sharp and not ‘full’ if that makes sense. So I’m wondering if the HD5 has a similar sound quality to the 706. Thanks

Juli on June 6, 2007 9:35 PM

By the way, I’m not using rubbish headphones. I’m using Shure E4 which sound way too bright with the new A808, but sound warmer with the 706. I’m getting the SE 420 as soon as they come out, and reviews suggest they’re warmer than the E4s so again, the sound might be even more different

John on June 8, 2007 6:52 AM

I’ve got an MZ-NH600 HiMD and Sonic Stage 2.0 – I’ve got lots of rare tape and vinyl and have been recording to Mini-disc via the mini-disc player line-in and then saving in Sonic Stage 2 library. Any idea how I can burn these to CD (in CDA format?) . Will a later version of Sonic stage do it, and can I upgrade without buggering up everything I’ve recorded so far? And Do any of the Sonic Stage versions have a WAV editor so I can do some cleanup of the old audio before burning to CD.

Sam on June 14, 2007 5:35 PM

What about the other way?!I’m recording all the time. I don’t care about getting files onto my Walkan. I want to get them OFF without the worst program known to man.Gotta MZ-M200. HELP?

KWALL10 on June 16, 2007 3:57 AM

Question…. (I didn’t take the time to read all the posts above but I get the hint that sonicstage blows…)I’ve read that getting music ‘onto’ the player works but getting it off and ‘back on’ to the computer is a problem. Does that mean when the PC transfers songs to the walkman it completely moves the file or it just copies it and theres still a music file left on your computer?And I read some stuff on wikipedia about the software aobut copywrite infringment laws… I wasn’t sure if sonicstage converts and protects my mp3 music to some code only sonicstage and the walkman can use. I still have my regular mp3 files untouched, right?

Martijn on June 21, 2007 1:43 PM

I have something really strange with the music in Sonic Stage and on my HD1. If I listen the music in windows media player, it’s perfect. But when I do it in Sonic Stage, and listen to it, then the sound is from really bad quality, I hear every second a strange noise, kind of ‘plop’. If I transfer it to my HD1, it is also bad quality, really weird pops.Does anyone knows how to solve this problem?with kind regards,Martijn

Faust on June 23, 2007 1:17 AM

I Have an HD5 and am after a program that can let me transfer music freely without any restrictions (like what were all after here)Im after a program that works with atrac wav and mp3, and actually works.any ideas ?thanksFasut

KAT on June 24, 2007 10:31 AM

i cant open sonic stage anymore and all my songs are on there. When I click on sonic stage a box appears with openmg secure module pleae wait while thsi configures. then it comes up with failed as I need to insert the install cd!!WTF i have had thsi on my pc for 3 years now and this has suddenly happend. how do i retrieve my tracks!! (i moved and the disc is now missing)HELP Please

Julie Pharro on June 25, 2007 9:26 AM

KWALL, when you transfer songs to the player from the SonicStage library, the songs don’t disappear from the library unless you delete them. Problems happen when you have the songs on your player and then delete them from the library afterwards. I know because I did this as I assumed I could just transfer the songs back to the library from the player. You can’t.So when you transfer files to the player, don’t delete them from the library and you’ll be able to transfer back and forth with no problems.

jo on June 26, 2007 4:35 PM

If anyone can help me i would be sooo grateful i have been trying to download sonicstage software for about three weeks i have tried the trouble shooting stuff and nothing works i know get an error message application initialization failed. Therefore i cant get any music onto my sony nw-s202fJo

john doe on June 28, 2007 5:33 AM

anyone got something that will work with a nwa3000?

bell on June 30, 2007 11:18 AM

where can i download the sonicstage for sony mp3NW-E00X series? i lost my cd..now cant upload new songs into it..pls help!

fordington on July 2, 2007 5:45 AM

Sonicstage? What a joke! My NW-A1200 ( a beautiful looking device) is the last Sony I’ll be buying. Shame but I need a means of transfering files and Sonicstage just isn’t it. Great design but software is sh….

John on July 3, 2007 9:17 AM

I have Sony NW-E002. Luckily Sonicstage is working for me properly.It loads songs directly but is there any way by which I can create separate Albums on the player so that I can search required song in the Albums instead of searching full song list?

stim on July 8, 2007 4:45 PM

Sonic stage is actually a great piece of software, you just have to understand how it works. i have a total of 135GB yes, gigabytes, stored across about 15 genres and over 400 albums. it sorts them perfectly. Much better than nasty apple itunes. I have album covers for all my CDs, and it’s plugged into the TV & Hifi, so it’s like the biggest juke box on the planet.i like it. just give it time and work out that it’s not just a giant list of tunes, if you fill out the information, i.e. the genre, artist, etc etc, you ca organise your music without a problem.

fordington on July 9, 2007 10:07 AM

I’d love to be able to ‘understand how it works’. Problem is I’m one of those who can’t get there far. All I get is the dreaded Omnjbox.exe (or what ever it is). Then it does is shut down.

fordington on July 9, 2007 10:14 AM

I’d love to be able to ‘understand how it works’. Problem is I’m one of those who can’t get that far. All I get is the dreaded Omnjbox.exe (or what ever it is). Then all it does is shut down.

Brendan on July 10, 2007 1:52 PM

I just got a Sony NW-S205F, can anyone tell me what is a good software to use besides SonicStage. I tried using Voidmp3fm but for some reason when I drag it to to left window and push upload it shows a window that it uploads but when I unplug my mp3 player it shows a No Data message. Can someone please help me!!!

Brendan Campbell on July 10, 2007 5:46 PM

Can anyone give me the orginal folders and contents of the folders that come with the Sony NW-S205F. I believe the folders are named OMGAUDIO and NWWM. Thanks!

kittycat on July 11, 2007 1:20 AM

nw-e107. need advice which software works for it! Thanks!BTW SS is a POS needs to be rid of and sony needs to go drag-n-drop like drive on windows and linx in order to be good. other than that they suck balls.

Mandy Francis on July 11, 2007 1:54 PM

I have the same problem with omgjbox.exe. Have you had any suggestions to rectify this problem yet by any chance? I am a bit of a technophobe (don’t understand much about computers but am ok when a piece of software has been installed and have a manual to follow :) ) I would appreciate any help.Regards

andrew on July 17, 2007 11:10 AM

slick sheldon, john, and stim, could you explain how you got sonicstage to work? Its all fine and dandy to say it does, but alot of people here are clearly unable to get to that point.

Free4 on July 20, 2007 12:58 AM

“stim on July 8, 2007 4:45 PMSonic stage is actually a great piece of software, you just have to understand how it works. i have a total of 135GB yes, gigabytes, stored across about 15 genres and over 400 albums. “Your an idiot to put it bluntly if you think this is good software.. all i say is wo betide you if you have to reinstall and point sonic stage at that stack of MP3s then you’ll understand how crap it is.

Fatfuckfrank on July 21, 2007 2:15 AM

whaa whaaa whaaa whaaa, crybaby bitches; STFU and just enjoy the music

LB on July 25, 2007 7:17 AM

Anyone know how to fix the flickering? I’ve up to date directX, but only an intel xtreme graphics2 chip running on an HP Pavillion laptop with windows XP.I have to basically alt tab out of the program or have some other window overlay Sonicstage in order for the program to register a change visually (eg when I scroll down in the menue, or select an album to see inside of). Beyond that, the top of the window constantly flickers: it’s pretty damn weird.My mp3 player is an NW-S705F, any chance I could use one of the alternate clients with that?

rpgibbs on August 7, 2007 9:57 AM

hey, i’m having a bit problem with my 1GB Network Walkman and my SonicStage 3.0. When i plug it into my computer SonicStage no longer reads the portable.My mom thinks last.fm caused it.Is there another reason?

iskender on September 6, 2007 8:32 AM

hallo ich bin hier

rabbit on September 7, 2007 6:17 AM

in my opinion i find sonic stage all right. i don’t find that it’s slow or bad, in fact i’m satisfied and pleased with it; its terrible reputation is undeserved…

Matthew on September 11, 2007 11:52 AM

I remember trying to listen to a recording made by a Sony voice recorder, had to install some software that was hard to learn, no way to convert the files… ayyy…Just bought an NW-A805, although the player is very user-friendly, SonicStage is one of the worst pieces of software I have ever seen, it also clashes with some drivers on our multimedia computer and now the TV tuner doesnt display the picutre smoothly anymore (since i installed the Sony pack).We bought this player as a gift, didn’t mind the money because we wanted to give a good product, also so that my mother could manage her own music – and now i have to tell her that i will have to be transfering the music to the player.If i’d bought the player for me, i would have returned it to the store right away, but since it’s a gift i cant just take it back.SHAME ON YOU SONY!!!Thank god there’s alternatives to the SonicStage.

sonyshame on September 11, 2007 7:44 PM

Sony now has media players with drag and drop capability on the market. I think the message has got through to them, but it’s a bit too late! The damage has already been done! They are trying to improve their new products but not to the sonicstageThe Sony NW-E00F that I bought a couple of months back now just sitting there, hardly being used because of the cumbersome of uploading new songs into it. I am trying to find a way to get the good use of it, maybe install portable linux into it instead.How such a well known, well respected, well trusted company produced such a piece of s…tware!!! What their software development team was thinking? I am wondering if they profit from the NW-E00F or not, but Sony, I’ll never touch Sony brand again.

Zach on October 10, 2007 3:27 AM

I agree with sonyshame & all of you who say that you’ll never buy another Sony product again. I own several minidisc players (all sony) & many other products becuz there was a time (believe it or not) when they used to make quality stuff. I even remember a brief time years ago when Sonicstage actually worked! No longer though. It is nothing less than pure garbage now & you’re lucky if you ever get more than 1 album or even 1 song recorded to a disc. It’s totally useless. You’d think by now Sony would’ve either fixed all these bugs & issues or would have come up with something different. If Apple can make Itunes work consistently, why can’t Sony make Sonicstage do the same? Too bad they aren’t listening to all our complaints cuz they’re probably going to lose alot of good customers for this fiasco.

KS on October 23, 2007 12:15 AM

Does anyone know how to work around Sonic Sh*t Stage software for Sony’s Sports MP3 Player (the NWS205F)?

GrahamIT on October 31, 2007 5:42 AM

Sorry to buck the system, but as a complete Sonyfile I quite like the way SonicStage 4.3 works with my equipment. I’ve got a NetMD MZ-n707 that works perfectly apart from a couple of screws from the front cover that have gone missing and Sony spares wants £3.00 each plus £4.00 postage for them!!!One little niggle I have is that to convert omg files and albums to mp3 for my Sandisk Sansa m240 takes two big steps and costs a CD in my burner, as I have to export to an audio cd, then import to mp3. Is there any way of doing this without making the audio cd first?

Raph on December 19, 2007 11:39 PM

Anyone konw any good software to use with my NW-A808, would like to just continue with all the stuff thats on there already from sonic stage, and not have to start from scratch. Any help would be much appreciated, I hate sonic stage, and have tried using media player which allows drag and drop, but unfortunately it doesn’t recognise any of the music thats already on my walkman which i guess is because its atrac? Many thanksRaph

Calibur on December 23, 2007 6:36 AM

I have a NW-E003F and i cant import some of my mp3 files into the sonic stage library, it just freezes. Does anyone know why that happens?

r37r0 on January 3, 2008 8:16 PM

hi, i have a Hi-MD MZ-RH10 and my computer crashed so i lost my SonicStage music library. i cannot restore it from the MD..so i’m wondering if there is an alternative for me so i can pull my music off my MD’s and onto my hard drive

isis on March 10, 2008 7:02 PM

HalloI have the NW-E107 and i found the vaio music transfer i got here at the top working for me, I can give you a flower for making it work now i can transfer my music onto my walkman atlast. Thank you

barbrain on April 6, 2008 7:29 PM

Check sonicstage wikipedia. It linked to VoiMP3. A VERYYY simple drag and drop to upload your MP3. voidMP3FM – Sony MP3 Players NW-E00x/a608 MP3 file uploader. You have it in 20 secs. For windows dont try the java stuff.never any soniccrap for this dude.

MonkeyMan on May 21, 2008 10:15 PM

I used Sonicstage 4.3 for a while now with an MZ-NH910. I do loads of live recording of my band, and other events and venues. Love the options of Minidisc, and the compression and sound quality of Atrac3Plus.However I totally agree that Sonicstage is a bloated piece of crap software. The only thing I use it for is for getting the tracks off of My MD which I have recorded live.For all of you who want to know how to take things and turn them to CD, this is my suggestion.Import to library as OMG/OMA, then save a copy as .WAV, once you have the .WAV open it in your choice of editor, (soundforge, cooledit, audigy) and take it from there, clean, normalize, remove crap, add depth whatever. Then you have a bunch of .WAV files which can be used with anything. The ability for a USB on a MD that could connect directly to a PC took TEN YEARS for sony to figure out, so don’t expect them to solve the problem of Sonicstage.Oh yeah, regarding Vista, and Sonicstage. I spent the greater part of a week on the phone with execs from Microsoft, and Sony, and the Connect Music Centre. I lost YEARS of live recordings, some I unfortunately didn’t have backed up as I thought that an OMG and a WAV was enough, however, when migrating to vista to beta test for them, after returning to XP, my library was shit. I had no rights to any of the tracks that I had recorded of myself. No one at Sony, Connect, or Microsoft had any solutions. I lost a week of my time, and I lost over 60 hours of irreplacable material which constitutes a large body of my produced material which I can no longer produce first generation recordings from.PEACE OUT

Ses1989 on July 13, 2008 5:47 AM

HiHow do u reformat the Sony Walkman ?? most forums i’ve looked at tell you nothing:D

Razor on July 17, 2008 9:40 AM

I can confirm that Voidmp3fm works perfectly fine on my NW-S205F. You can find Voidmp3fm and instructions here: http://www.drvoid.com/Just be aware that when you run Voidmp3fm from your walkman you need to create a new folder on the left hand window before you can drag files across. Or alternative simply drag an existing mp3 folder from your hard disk to the walkman via the interface.Using Voidmp3fm couldn’t be simpler but it needs state which walkmans it is compatible with (and tested) and what not.

Razor on July 17, 2008 9:41 AM

Ariel on July 21, 2008 2:08 PM

I have a NW E016F, and i’m verydisappointed about the way Sony is doing. Now Sony wants to introduce the new Sony Walkman A Series, with video, no software needed and bluetooth. It’s good, but Sony leave us all alone and forgets about all the people that bought and still have a “old series Walkman”. Few months ago i could see my NW E016F on TV spots and Magazines. Now, even in the Sony Website, i can’t find any information, photo, driver for my Walkman. Sony should still give support for old products, or release a NEW FIRMWARE to drag & drop music to all our “old walkmans” But i’m sure it won’t. I see a lot of people on Internet asking for SonicStage because they lose their CDs and now it’s a “Very hard to Find” software.Sadly, Sony’s philosophy and old software is not good, but the walkman is OK, it has a great sound like no others

Ariel on July 21, 2008 2:25 PM

SonyDeserves2Die on October 15, 2008 11:24 PM

SONY SUCKS ASSS

Rahma on October 18, 2008 9:27 AM

Hi.Ihave sony NW-A806 Walkman. sonicsatge keeps braking down so im over that.I used to use VAIO Link and everything was gd. until my dad updated the comp so ofcourse i had to download again but this time when i download VAIO Link it keeps telling me that” An error accured while intializing pleas re-instal VAIO music transfer again”And i do re-install but the same messege keeps coming up again, where did i go wrong? plz give me advice!!!!!

Dave L on November 23, 2008 8:47 AM

Try Jsymphonic as a replacement for Sonicstage, it’s Java based, so crossplatform, but I can only speak for Linux, where it does what it says on the tin.http://sourceforge.net/projects/symphonic/

jordAN on November 28, 2008 1:35 PM

does anyone know of software that works with the NW-E105?

skiron on February 15, 2009 4:33 PM

Have a look on JSymphonic, a java program meant to manage Sony devices which need SonicStage:http://sourceforge.net/projects/symphonic/

Ian on March 31, 2009 4:40 AM

Works for me with NW-S706F on my Apple MacBookhttp://sourceforge.net/projects/symphonic/

gem on May 12, 2009 1:32 AM

Thank you for these links! You have saved a small part of my sanity.

Kelly Hogan on June 14, 2009 4:07 AM

I came across a program called iTunemywalkman that works on my sony nwz-e438f. it will install scripts that will allow you to sync with Itunes. this sis a link to the site hope it will helphttp://ilari.scheinin.fidisk.fi/itunemywalkman/

kikusan on June 23, 2009 8:03 PM

i took a new md aiwa am-nx9. in the box i’ve founf sonic stage 1.5 cd.the unit it’s a sony 410 (don’t remember which one exactly).i toke a aiwa because aiwa it’s not sony. (i’m a electronic engineer) seems away was buyed by sony and all the sh$t from sony goes on aiwa. sonic stage crash on all of my 3 computers with a fast restart of the computer. already tested on w2k (crash with death screen) same vista proff. and same xp home edition. tommorow i’ll test on win 98. tested version 1.5, 2.*, 4.3, 5.2 of sonic stage. all of them crash in the same way. i’ve wasted 50 euro on the biggest crap maked ever by sony. i knew from past the sony it’s only a name, i’m so sorry for aiwa.keep going on in this way, sony, already in italy i don’t see anymore products from sony. (only lcd tv, right) :) bye sony :) reast in peace ;)

kikusan on June 23, 2009 8:04 PM

Darien on October 13, 2009 11:54 PM

I’ve got a NW-S705F. I love it. Imagine my dismay when I tried to rename a audiobook on my ATRAC last night and it hung up, then crashed, then said my ATRAC was full and yet says there is no database on the thing. It looks like I need to reformat the device but I don’t know how I’m going to re-initialize it since there is no Connect Store, no account, and no way to find this info out.Anybody have similar problems or better still, a solution?Thanks

Sony_sux on October 18, 2009 5:24 AM

Hi, I’ve been using my NW-HD5 since end of 2006. The only reason I still have it is because I can drive my car and flick through music without looking at the screen. Its got very straight forward menu.Im sick of SonicStage. I dont really care about transferring music from my mp3 player back to my pc. The other day, I bought a cd, and I couldn’t even transfer the music because it wanted me to convert it to some other kbps shit. I mean seriously, I dont buy cds, I always download songs. And for the 1 time I buy a cd, I cant transfer it to my mp3 player.. How sick is that!I soo wana get an iPod touch now, but i cant drive now while flicking volume/artists/songs..Verdict: Sonicstage = FAIL.

Enda nEvin on November 5, 2009 6:57 AM

swe

Enda nEvin on November 5, 2009 7:00 AM

I have a sony mp3 player NWZA808, sonicstage only. Have sony or someone else developed a program to change my files to ordinary mp3s as i want to buy a new player and sonicstage is no more. My local shop said I had to download all my music to cd and then upload it to my computer again. HELP@!

Joe on January 6, 2010 6:21 PM

Well… my hard drive crashed, and I thought I had a backup of my Sonicstage library, but I guess I was wrong. I fixed my computer, which meant getting a new hard drive and reloading the Operating System (Win7). I then reloaded Sonicstage 4.3. Now, when I attach my NW-HD3, it wants me to format my unit before it will be recognized. Yet, that is the only place where all of my music files are!!! I can’t reformat without losing my music. And, if I did reformat, is there any guarantee that SonicStage will then recognize my player? Won’t I have to re-register my player? How can one re-register a player, if Connect is closed? Am I out of luck, or is there any way to get Sonicstage to recognize my unit again without deleting my entire library? Are there any other solutions out there? Nearly all of the files on the player are non-drm atrac files.

SonicStage is poop! on January 20, 2010 8:24 PM

I’m having the same problem as Joe above (6 Jan 2010). Can anyone save two souls with one solution?Many thanks!

Joe Hendrix on January 25, 2010 1:37 PM

The above comment from Katie34jK is spam.

Tom on January 27, 2010 5:30 PM

After using Sonicstage with my NW-S205f I hope I’ve left it behind now. I’ve had to re-install it a couple of times before but it has been working on windows 7 until the most recent updates last week seemde to kill it so now it doesn’t recognise my walkman.Anyway I downloaded jSymphonic from the link provided above (and here http://sourceforge.net/projects/symphonic/). The instructions attached to the download are pretty clear and the program seems to be working fine. I can transfer mp3s between my computer and walkman which is all I use it for.So far so good anyway and I have gratefully uninstalled Sonicstage. Thanks to those who provided links and advice above.

Joe Hendrix on February 1, 2010 8:08 PM

For what it’s worth, I contacted Sony. After several attempts of trying to get them to get what I was asking, it boils down to:A. If you don’t have a Sonicstage backup, then the only way to get the music off your device is the “analog method”. Playing back the music in real time to your analog sound card inputs. Yeah, right!!! Oh, well.B. Once you have reformatted your device, you should be able to start using your device again with Sonicstage. Apparently, there is an ID code that is registered on both the computer and your device. If they don’t match up, then you cannot use that device on that computer. So, if your hard drive gets toasted and you don’t have a backup, then you’re SOL. You’ll have to start from the beginning.So… Tom. Does that jsymphonic only work with MP3′s or can you move omg files back and forth as well? How about WMA’s? Any gotcha’s on the jsymphonic software?

d.k on February 18, 2010 9:13 AM

nothing works.have tried every alternative, and am minutes away from shattering either my head or my MP3help.

Je on February 18, 2010 4:27 PM

What’s the problem? What player do you have?

leo on February 21, 2010 7:52 AM

i have nw-s200.. is there any program for this model that work on vista? i have tried many program but all seem didnt work at all on vista

Joe Hendrix on February 23, 2010 1:06 PM

The NW-S200 should work fine using the disk that came with it, or by downloading Sonicstage 4.3. I’ve ran Sonicstage on Vista and Win7 without a problem.Now… getting used to dealing with Sonicstage is a different problem, but if you take your time, you should get the hang of it.