How to Disassemble the iRiver clix & U10

disassemble clix main How to Disassemble the iRiver clix & U10

So you just got the new iRiver clix and you cannot wait to crack this mass of electronics open… The task is a bit easier than it may look. All you will need is a Swiss Army knife, small Phillips and flat head screw drivers and a little bit of patience and you will be staring at your micro components in no time.

Step One:

Wedge a thin knife down one side of the back plate. It doesn’t matter which, they are both the same. The plastic is flexible and will bow out when you stick the knife down the crack.

iriver clix disassemble 01 How to Disassemble the iRiver clix & U10

Step Two:

The back will not pop off with one pry of the knife- you will have to slide the knife and pry gently at several different areas along that one side like a paint can.

You can also slide a piece of paper behind the knife so that you do not mark up the plastic.

iriver clix disassemble 02 How to Disassemble the iRiver clix & U10

Step Three:

Remove the 4 newly exposed screws under the back plate.

iriver clix disassemble 03 How to Disassemble the iRiver clix & U10

iriver clix disassemble 04 How to Disassemble the iRiver clix & U10

Step Four:

The white casing will pull right off but has to get around the dock connector and the headphone jack. First, pry the plastic away from the dock connector and pull up just a little bit.

iriver clix disassemble 05 How to Disassemble the iRiver clix & U10

Step Five:

Pull up on the opposite side of the headphone jack. Once you are at about a thirty degree angle pull away from the headphone jack.

iriver clix disassemble 06 How to Disassemble the iRiver clix & U10

Step Six:

Stop and admire the underlying clicking mechanisms and how they work.

Step Seven:

Remove four more screws.

iriver clix disassemble 07 How to Disassemble the iRiver clix & U10

Step Eight:

Unstick tape by the headphone jack.

iriver clix disassemble 08 How to Disassemble the iRiver clix & U10

iriver clix disassemble 09 How to Disassemble the iRiver clix & U10

Step Nine:

There is a connector that bridges the screen to the main board. You will have to pry it off with a flat head screw driver. When prying, pry from the main board gently.

iriver clix disassemble 10 How to Disassemble the iRiver clix & U10

iriver clix disassemble 11 How to Disassemble the iRiver clix & U10

You can continue on and get into the LCD, but you run the risk of getting dust underneath it.

Here are photos of both the U10 and the clix. As you can see the only main difference is that the clix uses a faster updated processor, which is very obvious when comparing the smoothness of the user interfaces.

iriver clix disassemble 12 How to Disassemble the iRiver clix & U10

iriver clix disassemble 13 How to Disassemble the iRiver clix & U10

Look at the clix board, not the writing at the top that says “U10 2GB” that is dated January 2006. It may be that the 2GB U10s are identical to the clix. If this is the case the 2GB U10 could be updated with the latest clix firmware. This has not been confirmed- it is merely speculation.

Jeremy L. Robillard on June 2, 2006 5:52 PM

EnzoTen,It looks possible to replace the battery: Is it? Are there any difficulites, or aspects to consider before replacing the battery at some point down the road?

EnzoTen on June 2, 2006 6:20 PM

Yes the batter will simply unplug. But the problem is finding somewhere that sell is.

Hong Cho on June 2, 2006 6:45 PM

To me, it looks like “V10 2GB”.

Krono6 on June 2, 2006 8:06 PM

I don’t know much about bare boards, so they might be solder points (just a guess), not sure.. Though I’m pretty sure that the little tiny holes at the bottom of the U on either side of the letter make it seem like a V.

Bruce on June 2, 2006 11:09 PM

So you just got the new iRiver clix and you cannot wait to crack this mass or electronics open?

xinzhitan14 on June 7, 2006 2:46 AM

wow.. interesting.. can you show us how to open a samsung Yp-t8z or a YP-D1Z next?? hehe..hopefully you didnt scratch the poor screen on the desk.. i get so paranoid when i put my mp3player on the deks.. that it’s goiogn to get scratched.

vern on June 7, 2006 3:34 AM

Is it wrong that one if the first things I noticed was that you were using a Victorinox USB Swiss Army Knife?

traut on June 13, 2006 10:17 AM

are there any higher resolution images – or would you care to make a closer identification of the ICs on this board? Rockbox may welcome this kind of information.

Jin on June 18, 2006 11:21 AM

Can you upgrade the memory of the clix by replacing the flash memory do you think?

justme on June 26, 2006 5:44 PM

iRiver please, please, please make this 4GB. That is the only deal breaker for me on this device. So many other players out there with 4GB of flash for basically the same price.

조창우 on July 4, 2006 8:06 AM

저게 말이 되니?? 겁나서 뜯지도 못하겠군…..덜덜덜…..돈만으면 뜯으슈~

korea love….(my KOREAN) on July 7, 2006 9:45 PM

WoW ! your are real foreigners??good … a consummate~~( My korean) korea is first ! ! !(korea a great power…)( foreigner penpal ….. send a mail please~^^)

kim on July 19, 2006 12:09 AM

. . . 하핫 . . .펜팔 . . . ? . . . penpal ? . . .그런거 가져보고 싶다 . . .쩝 . . .근데 . . . 올려도 되는건지 모르겠찌만 . . .진짜 잘못하면 . . . 유텡이 . . .조심해서 분해하세요 . . .

유탠사용자 on July 27, 2006 8:53 AM

인터넷이 좋은거구만 ㅎㅎ 외국사람들 의견도 바로바로 볼수있고…머 유탱이 분해하는건 오바지만 -_-..nice to meet you!I`m Korean U10 user

멍청한부시 on July 28, 2006 9:39 AM

허허..; 네이버에 올렸더니 한국분들이 와서 한국말로 올리셨네요크흐흐 넘 웃기네요한국 대단합니다~ 장입니다여기 아이팟 안티 싸이트로 외국서도 꾀 유명한 곳인데 ㅎㅎkorea rocks! keke

PL on August 9, 2006 6:10 AM

Things that would be of interest:o Modding so we can get line in without the cradleo Modding so we can get video outo Replacing the flash memory or modding so we can use memory sticksThe first one should be fairly easy, it’s just a matter of finding out where the cradle connects the line input.The second one I don’t if it’s possible at all, depends on what kind of connection that is to the small tft, maybe it would require some extra electronics.The last one is difficult but not impossible for someone that knows electronics, the question is if the firmware would accept it or if there is a limit in the firmware as well.

t on September 5, 2006 11:58 AM

holy moly… I’m afraid I wouldn’t be able to assemble it back together…한국분들.. 코리아 롹 같은거 안쓰는게 낮지 않을까요 a…

marco on September 12, 2006 7:45 PM

csn i upgrade my u10 to clix ?

ma-_wo on October 23, 2006 4:09 PM

hey can you make some photos of the battery because i want to change it and so i need the battery “number”

Mike on November 3, 2006 6:04 PM

My U10 has a cracked screen – not the LCD, but the transparent cover – does anyone know if it is possible to replace it? Where would I get a new cover?

Zapruder on December 4, 2006 5:42 AM

Post a century decoding film forgery hoax zapruder New Response

June on December 27, 2006 6:44 AM

Can I make U10 4GB or can I upgrade in some shop?

Music Freak on December 27, 2006 6:57 AM

God I will be freaked out if I do that

spencing on January 1, 2007 7:43 PM

Wait, where exactly is the battery? Is it the square orange device in the 3rd to last pic?

유텡사랑 on February 3, 2007 10:25 PM

U10 카페를 통해 오신분들이 계시나보네요^^;왠지 반갑다는…ㅎ.ㅎ우리 유텡이가 해부당하는 건 싫다는…..외국분들이 써주신거 보니까, 약간 이해가 갈듯 하네용~!^^;저는 유텡이 잘 쓰고 있씁니다.하지만 저렇게 해부시키고 싶진 않네요…

Mik Mars on February 14, 2007 9:58 PM

When you disassemble the iriver clix, is it possible to change the memory with another memory card that’s not ment for the clix?(example: PSP 1gb memory card,Digital Camera Memory card,etc.)

yada yada on March 17, 2007 4:29 PM

you may want to unplug the battery cable as soon as possible when disassembling the unit.

pho on March 19, 2007 9:34 PM

hey i got my clix and now there a lot of dust under the screen….anyone know how i can clean it all out???

유탱이 on April 15, 2007 5:47 AM

해부하다가 기스가 났어효 TT_TT

alpauk on April 22, 2007 3:40 AM

Where can I find the scheme of data connector for U10? I’ve lost my one. I found the same cable, but it looks like it is set different way:( 10X in advance

Tyler Waite on April 22, 2007 6:03 PM

Mine went through the wash… anyone know what to do?!! Please Help ASAP

Mike on May 12, 2007 2:21 AM

My Iriver suddenly stopped working. Its over 1 years warranty. The screen was messing up and now it just wont work. When trying to charge it wont light up. What do u think the deal is?

Bobby on June 18, 2007 12:04 AM

Cracked LCD…….any possible way to replace it?

Abian Satchell on July 16, 2007 10:09 AM

When i put a song on my iriver it shows like 5 of the same songs, and the pictures get blurry and scribbled out… it would be perfect if the iriver comes with a charger…

lazarus20000 on November 18, 2007 4:15 PM

Thanks to your diagramatical instructions i was finally able to open my u10. Well to cut a long story short, i managed to fix my messed up LCD screen by padding the connectors with paper, as suggested by someone else http://www.youtube.com/comment_servlet?all_comments&v=oanDmC3FW4w&fromurl=/watch%3Fv%3DoanDmC3FW4w.Now my screen looks normal again :)

mategzz on November 28, 2007 10:35 AM

Yo, I’ve got a problem with my Clix. Some days ago, it just stopped viewing anything on LCD. I hadn’t crashed it or sth like it, so I just can’t imagine what’s going on. Is it possible to fix it myself? What could have happened?

Peremptor on January 5, 2008 10:22 PM

Any idea where to get a replacement battery? My trusty 1st gen Clix’s bat gave up the ghost a while ago and if I could get another one and pop it in… that would be awesome.

MeLoveClix on January 10, 2008 3:39 PM

I love my 1st Gen Clixhttp://www.batteryship.com/htmlos/htmlos.cgi/batteryship/catalog.html?item=KPPJFGB6&model=iRiver+CLIXI just got the Samsung P2 and I love it just as much !!

analyn on May 9, 2008 3:54 AM

hey..plz..help m.. i do have a serious prob with my iriver u10ct..it keeps on charging and shows “FULL Charge” but the moment u plug it off from the computer, it may tell u”Low battery, plz charge again” plzz.help me

Clix Repair on May 13, 2008 4:16 AM

Several months ago, I purchased a new U10 512MB at ebay at $32, and also purchased a blank screened Clix 2GB, which is body alone at $22.I spent total of $54, and get one working unit of Clix 2GB which looks like new after disassembled both unit.

CLIXvsSansaE280 on May 28, 2008 3:58 AM

Today, I have spent lots of time for comparison between a iriver clix and a Sandisk sansa e200( e250, e260, e270, e280) by using all kinds of music.The result is quite shocking.While the clix produces crystal clear, balanced, well defind, smooth, natural, transparent, and pleasing sound, the sansa has 10db boost in around 100kH and only sounds muddy.Most people can’t find the difference between Sony MDR-7509($200) and Sony MDR-V600($100), but the difference between the two MP3 players are very clearly like a comparison between Lexus and Civic.

True Real World on June 25, 2008 8:45 AM

I tested and compared three MP3 player’s sound quality.The result of each player’s sound quality is like coming from that of:1. iriver Clix: Full size Hi-Fi component. Pleasing Sony MDR-V600 headphones.2. Sandisk Sansa e250: Portable mini system. Somewhat muddy Sennheiser headphones.3. Creative Zen V Plus: Old cassette player. Lifeless Altec Lansing headphones.The test machine detects Zen V Plus as the best in sound quality, but in actual as a human ears, iriver clix is very clearly the best sounding device.

saldagoza on January 2, 2009 7:43 AM

I received the battery CS-IU10SL comptable KPPJFGB6. it works well with my iRiver clix but too long to close the iRiver Clix.Does anybody have idea ?can i find a KPPJFGB6 battery on the web ?Do you know instructable methode ?Do i have to cut metalic part to close it ? do i have to force the batery ?thank you for your answer =:)Pascal

winston on September 2, 2009 2:17 AM

Can I change my iPod to Clix? I is really need Clix. Is have enjoy.If open with knife can place return get again always?Sorry for bad Engrish.