Creative Zen Vision: W Official Specs

creative zen vision w Creative Zen Vision: W Official Specs

Creative’s newest member to the Vision family is set to be released overseas at the beginning of September 2006. This new member, dubbed the Zen Vision:W, is an updated version of the Zen Vision that will have a 16:9 wide aspect ratio screen. Early reports of this screen have been positive stating that it does not suffer the same lack luster quality of the Zen Vision and looks more like the brilliant Zen Vision:M screen. The screen itself will be a 4.3” 262k color 480 x 272 LCD screen. By contrast the Zen Vision:M’s screen was 320 X 240 with the same number of colors. The ZVW will however step up this resolution to DVD quality resolution (720 X 480) when outputting to your TV.

Other than the abovementioned there are no real new innovations coming out of this player. It is more of a mash-up of the Zen Vision and Zen Vision:M. Judging by the retail prices in Singapore dollars the Zen Vision: W will likely retail around $400 for the 30GB and under $500 for the 60GB version when released to the US. When that will happen is still unknown.

[Press Release thanks jefone]

sam on August 30, 2006 6:57 PM

i love it…i want it…but the 60 kicker M takes the cake…maybe

Tyler on August 30, 2006 10:41 PM

Looks good, but im still thinking the Zen Vision:M 60 gb is better

Jay on September 7, 2006 9:23 AM

Can I swap my Zen Vision?

Dave on September 21, 2006 2:43 AM

I want to buy either this in 60gb or the zen vision m 60gb version. I can’t decide.

teejay on October 4, 2006 9:43 AM

Just bought one (60GB Zen Vision W). First impressions – pretty good. Disappointed though that it has no audio or video ‘record’ input. I really thought it had audio-in. Also, I thought the fm radio could be recorded-from. Not the case. I had in mind being out-and-about with instant radio record at my fingertips. I can see possibly why Creative haven’t… copyright and all that. But ‘my’ music is all classical, with less of a copyright issue. Ah well. I wouldn’t have gone for it without the CF card support and removable battery. All in all though, no real regrets.

Mav Block on October 4, 2006 9:22 PM

I just received my Zen Vision W 30 GB and I have to say it is actually pretty amazing.

terry on October 4, 2006 9:57 PM

does the unit charge by usb? Big plus if it does since I don’t want to carry an a/c adapter everywhere.

Bill on October 18, 2006 8:25 PM

Yes, it charges via USB and has a standard USB connector ( no need for a proprietary cable).

stefan on October 23, 2006 4:19 PM

yes it will be mine….as soon as i have enough money!

Ami on October 25, 2006 2:39 AM

When will you all be coming out with a review of this product?

Beast on October 28, 2006 10:51 AM

I just bought my Zen vision W earlier this month, and the screen says Firm Ware problem. How do I fix it?

Raider on November 6, 2006 7:55 PM

I like it so far, but an audio in, bluetooth, 802.11a/b/g wireless would have been nice. Does anyone know if there are hacks for the Zen W? I would like to be able to add Canon’s Raw Image support.

Norm on November 11, 2006 5:39 PM

I’ve had the W for over a month now. The picture is great and it’s software a breeze to work with. I had the M and gave it to my son when the W came out. The CF card feature works easily. All in all, much better than the competition. The external speaker is a nice feature but I’ll probably never use it. I bought Shure earbuds for my media player and now the sound is as great as the picture.

Eugene on November 14, 2006 7:25 PM

Hey guys….I’ve been searching for mp3 players, and stopped when I came across the Zen Vison W..My only question is how good is the sound quality? I know that that the Zen vision W plays audio up to 96 decibels, while the Zen vision M plays at 97 decibels. Please, for thos people who own the player, can you explain how the sound quality is on this media player?

Mark on November 29, 2006 11:37 PM

Does anyone know if the HD in the 30GB ZVW can be switched out? I ready somewhere that an segate 1.8” 80GB drive will fit.Any pictures of the ZVW dissassembled?

Nathan on December 23, 2006 12:09 AM

this is a pretty awesome player….if i had the money id buy it………i looked at the archos 604 with wifi for a long time…..if anyone could tell me which one would be a better buy itd be much appreciated

danielle Petriello on December 27, 2006 10:10 AM

does the neuros mpeg recorder 2 work easily on this machine?

brent on December 28, 2006 9:39 PM

does it have a speaker?

alex on December 28, 2006 9:42 PM

can u please tell me and brent if it has a speaker

Jeff on December 29, 2006 6:03 PM

It has a speaker. Pretty good one, for its size.

Carl on January 2, 2007 10:23 PM

I got the Zen Vision W and for the first weeks I loved it. Unfortunately my PC suddenly stopped seeing the player whenever I connected it through the USB port, it even stopped recharging. I think that the USB connection in the player got busted. USB is a robust technology that has been around for a while and I was a bit surprised that Creative would screw up something so simple. I sent the player back and I hope to get a replacement sometime next week.

Andrew on January 5, 2007 3:35 PM

Compared this to the Archos 604 wifi and this won hands down. The Archos has an LCD that looks washed out. No real blacks. THis is due to the touchpad built into the screen. Also the sound quality was much better on teh creative. I plugged in some Shure’s to both and with the archos there was always a backround buzzing that was constant no matter what volume I had it at.

Ian on January 11, 2007 6:29 AM

Got a quick question. I’ve just got a zen vision w and its great. just one problem is that you cant label your photos on the player (it has to be plugged into a computer, as far as i can work out any way). Planning on doing some traveling soon and it would be good to be able to label photos so i can remember what the photos are of. is there a way to label them or any software that can be put on the player to make this possible?

selena on January 11, 2007 10:40 PM

hey i was intending on buying a zvw but my cd thingy is kinda on the fritz…is there any way that you could download the installation software online?

gascan555 on January 25, 2007 10:21 AM

Just wanted to throw in a quick comment while this was still a little active. I bought this two months ago after doing some research and thinking and I don’t regret it one bit. It’s an amazing pmp. I’ve taken it on several trips and the battery is a wonder (especially compared to the iPod’s) and even turned some heads ;) . I haven’t had a single problem with it but I do definitely suggest you get an InvisibleSheild if you get this because the screen not only scratches really easily, but it’s defiantly a fingerprint magnet.As for you, selena, you can download the software off their site. It’s not too hard to find. I definitely suggest this to you.

erro on January 28, 2007 6:03 AM

hey all, i just bought the creative zen vision w and i was wondering if some1 could help me out. u see my cd drive is all screwy and i was wondering if anybody could tell me where i have to go on the site to get the installation software.thnxs

Zeus on January 28, 2007 7:21 PM

i juss want to know what video formats it plays and if it plays RealAudio / RealVideo files

linkinmon on February 5, 2007 10:20 PM

Well im looking for a pmp to buy with my tax return and this looks to be the winner. and now i only have one delemma. should i buy this third party like ebay or should i go circuit city or another major retailer. because i have heard of some defects here and on other sites. what do all of u think?

karthik on February 6, 2007 7:30 AM

I have recently ordered for a Zen Wision W 30GB for $300 US.I has already been shipped. But now I feel that I should have bought Archos604,which is also available at the same rate.The Archos can play h264(by adding a plugin),it supports avc,aac,vob.These are not supported by ZVW.Archos also supports 16 million colors compared to ZVW’s 2,60,000.It is thinner also.Another wonderful thing is that it supports pdf docs.Have I made a very wrong decision?In what aspects ZVW scores over Archos?Can I expect a firmware from creative in the near future to support h264 and aac?

bsppaci on February 6, 2007 11:53 PM

ok maybe i am super dumb, but I am on my second Zen from futureshop, seems the thing does not keep a charge….how long did you all charge this thing first time, or am i being a total idiot ?

todos lo maman on February 10, 2007 8:33 AM

todos son maricones de mierda imbesiles

Joseph Ipe on February 18, 2007 9:17 AM

Hi,, I bought a zen vision W 30GB…the Ok button is not lighting up… Is it supposed to light up???

tarem on March 4, 2007 6:51 AM

hi is there is any software for zen vision w 30 G

Mark on March 20, 2007 1:01 PM

The OK button does not light

Mark on March 20, 2007 1:03 PM

The only downside to the ZVW is the lack of GOOD accessories. I would love to see an armband and an In car holder.

David on March 24, 2007 3:06 AM

Also, be careful not to drop it too hard because if the LCD wafer breaks it is very hard to find a replacement and it’s 90$ to get it repaired by Creative… Not that it’s fragile though. I dropped it a total of about 4-5 times from considerable heights onto hard surfaces (on accident) and only on the 5th time did it experience any damage

Joeteck on April 4, 2007 11:41 AM

Has Anyone opened this thing up and upgraded the hard drive to 100Gig? I know the drive exists. Rumor has it that it boots from firmware and not the hard drive. 1.8″ drives are a little more $$ per gig. I only found one site that opened it up. But I guess no one would open such an expensive piece of hardware.

Nak on April 18, 2007 10:40 PM

I bought Zen vision W 30 GB yesterday, and tried to download my movie (DVD) using conversion, but did not work. How can I download my movies (DVD) into Zen? Somebody please help.

Randy on May 4, 2007 6:55 PM

I use DVD Ripper from Jesterware. Xvid.avi…..sweet

girlindistress on May 17, 2007 6:33 AM

does anyone know if the creative zen vision can be used as a regular USB with out the need of installation???? HURRY ! I NEED HELP NOW !!!!!!!!!!! =’[

Sam on May 21, 2007 8:16 AM

Yes it can be used as USB drive without installing anything on the computer. Just have to set it up in the menu.

tallguy on June 1, 2007 10:57 PM

It is a pretty good device, but the useable video size is very disappointing. Who would make video of 277×480, not even standard PAL format is useable. If you don’t need for widescreen – don’t buy this one!

tallguy on June 1, 2007 11:20 PM

Phil Smith on June 30, 2007 4:29 PM

Is there a way to make the Zen W work with Windows 2000? I have installed the driver update from the Zen site and I have Media Player 9, but the software CD will no recognize my OS.does that mean I cannot use the player at all?Thankx for any help.Bluemaxx

colmtnbikr on July 12, 2007 11:28 PM

I accidentally erased the Zen Vision W’s firware, any suggestions?

colmtnbikr on July 12, 2007 11:28 PM

I accidentally erased the Zen Vision W’s firmware, any suggestions?

jowellamendoza on July 15, 2007 6:05 PM

damn it. everyone, as far as I can tell LOVES this thing.but I, I just dont like it. I mean I’m thirteen and I go places… but its just too big to carry around.I get it, some of you people sound like youre around your early twenties or something… and you really need something thats all high quality or whatever. But does ANYONE agree with me that the buttons are so annoying.EXAMPLE: when I press the “down” button it goes to the “ok” menu thingso when that happened the first time I realized the “ok” was a little misplaced.But it keeps happening and to tell you the truth it gets on my nerves.HELP, unfortunetly I’m returning the Creative Zen Vision W… yea, I’m like a freaking disgrace now.Anyways, I need you opinions.IPOD VIDEO 30GB/60GB or PLAYSTATION PORTABLE ?or… anything that tops these terrific trio.Thanks a lot !

ksoze on July 17, 2007 11:48 PM

Colmtnbikr: Enter recovery mode to upload your firmware again.1) Take out the battery2) Slide the power switch to the ON position – HOLD it in that position.3) Replace battery – wait for the blue light – release switch4) Wait until the menu comes up5) Select Reload Firmware option.Hope it works for you.

John on July 31, 2007 9:07 PM

I just about my Creative Zen vision W about 1 and a half months ago. For some reason it now says “Hardware Problem” Any suggestions?Anyhelp is appreciated, Thanks.

Zealey on August 2, 2007 7:57 PM

great product! i have no complaints, except that the player does not support wmv2 codec (only wmv3). Most DVD Ripping software converts to wmv2 codec. So, I suggest only ripping to .avi (xvid, dixv works perfectly). Another down side is the fact that it doesn’t support AC3 audio. It has a built-in converter, so that fixes both problems, though it takes a long time to convert (2 hour movie will take 2 hours to convert). Movies that don’t need converting take about 1-2 minutes to upload onto the Zen’s hard drive, which is a very nice feature. Another positive about this product is that it does not have to syncronize with your computer when you connect it (as the iPod has to). This meens that you can delete the files uploaded onto the device, and not need to worry anout them being deleted from the Zen’s hard drive. Also the fact that you can delete files from the device once you have listened, seen, or watched them is very useful. All in all, Creative has thought of everything when it comes to this product.

Tony on August 11, 2007 7:45 PM

hey everyone, i bought the ZVW last month and it worked great. loved to video quality and the sound was great for me. not to sure if i have any regrets about buying it. cost alot but it seemed worth it at the time. but now my screen is cracked. guess to much weight on it while i was traveling around in Europe.ugh does anyone now where i would go to get it fixed. by the way i bought it at future shop. do i just go there or have to send it to the creative people on my own.

Rob on August 17, 2007 8:56 PM

I just bought the ZVW 30 and am not impressed with having to downsample video. Total pain.

Naanuush on August 21, 2007 5:45 AM

Hi, i use iomega screenplay pro to watch my movies, but now it’s not working anymore, so be4 i buy this product i would like to know how the TV mode works if the picture is good or not worth watching in tv mode, so please if anyone has tried the Tv mode plss tell me how is the quality good or bad?

Khaled on September 10, 2007 9:46 AM

I want to buy the zen vision w 60 but i afraid of the software or the way it shows movies or problems like that so can anyone tell me honestly is there is any problems in the zvw 60 thanks alot

cholotech on September 15, 2007 10:17 AM

does anyone know if there are any software mods for the creative zen vision w like changing the icons in the scins or removing/replacing the branding from device boot,….. i dont need any hardware hacks just the organizers and icons please

Nomad Lover on September 17, 2007 1:34 PM

I got a Creative Vision W recently, love the player, but I think the software sucks. I used to use a Nomad, and everything was SO easy. Now, when it syncs it puts the same song on 3, 4 times, the software doesn’t recognize the songs that are on the player, the software is soooo slow, it’s a nightmare. Has anyone had similar experiences? I am very disappointed and frustrated, because I need this player for work and simply don’t have the time to waste on a product that doesn’t work the way it’s supposed to. Could it be that the firm/software is defective? I haven’t gotten any real help from customer support either. Thanks

Ivan Cuxeva Jr on September 27, 2007 4:46 AM

I bought mine a while ago (6months) and gotta say, this is the best device I’ve ever purchased, I love it!. It plays most of the media found on the web (.mpg, .avi, .divx, .xvid)..I bought it because I have lost of divx and xvid encoded videos and it plays them perfectly! (^_^)

Jsc on October 27, 2007 3:38 PM

to nak…download cladDVD.net and autoGK full package. just read onemansblog

bill on December 24, 2007 12:02 AM

vision – zen w- 60gb software for windows 2000 no software.U guys r too smart, it’s been 3 days i got zen W, & i m not able tin install it on windows 2000, tried almost all zip /dll posted in net.tried the Zen-Driver-W2K_and_98.zip and tried 5410MTP.zip.No good, none of them works , still my 2000 is aksing for driver for Creatvie zen vision W.Boy all of u r using XP ? any easy or hard way to install it on windows 2000 ? Boy it’s been bumpy ride , and i hope it will end soon with yr help.

Chris on December 27, 2007 12:11 AM

Just got a vision w too. I also have windows 2000. It won’t work same as Bill stated. Any help Please! Feel free to e-mail me

John on January 6, 2008 9:33 AM

I bought my Zen Vision W in March, 2007. It is simply wonderful! I have had no difficulty transforming (using separately purchased software) my favorite DVDs into files the W can play. I now have what amounts to a personal movie theatre/ultra-portable TV, with a beautiful screen and excellent ergonomics. The controls work so well that I feel it was made for me personally. My only complaint: they haven’t released a 100-gigabyte version yet! I have the 30 and will either buy the 60 or wait for a 100. Dream machine!

Anchal Nigam on February 21, 2010 7:34 AM

I have both creative zen vision w 60GB slim as well as the Cowon Q5w 60GB [touchscreen PMP]Both are great !But the video is always around 3-4 hrs on full charge on bothSound of cowon is better compared with creative as options galore for personalization [3D, mp enhance etc]Viz a viz Creative , the Cowon can play just about any audio format known to man but the audio playback time for Cowon is around 5-6 hrs only compared to creative [9-10 hrs]Video looks great on Cowon with HD screen [800x480 16m colors touchscreen]compared with creative ZVWcreative can be charged via USB while Cowon can be charged while being operated on AC mains after tweaking some settings[No usb charging]I regard Cowon as Mini laptop running on win CE 5.0I rely on both for my audio and video playback – they both complement each other…Hope it’s been informative enough ..Now looking forward to Cowon V5 HD expected soon…