Philips GoGear SA1335 Flash Player

philips gogear sa1335 Philips GoGear SA1335 Flash Player

Philips recently (and quietly) began stocking select stores with its 1GB SA1335 mirror-surfaced flash player. Measuring 3.17 x 1.24 x 0.59 inches, the player is designed to hang from an included lanyard around your neck while providing up to 12 hours of MP3, WAV, or WMA playback on its non-removable lithium polymer battery.

The 2-color OLED display won’t turn any heads, but it can replace your wristwatch with its built-in clock screensaver. Other notable features are an FM tuner, voice recorder, and direct USB 2.0 connectivity (no cable required). Nothing earth shattering, but still not bad for about $100.

[Product Page via Chip Chick]

Almoxil on August 28, 2006 9:35 PM

I bought this little MP3 player two months ago and have been using it for workouts since then. Some observations:1 – Build quality: the player looks and feels very well built. The only exception is the 4-way controller and play/pause button. They can rattle very little, but I think that doesn’t detract from the build quality. The hold switch and the REC, A-B and MENU buttons don’t have this small problem, though;2 – The design: the player is very beautiful indeed, with its classy mirror and metal finishing — there’s no chance of comparing it to those “cheapo” MP3 players from Taiwan. When I bought it, my first complaint was “where’s the protective case?” But I realized that the player is scratch resistant under normal use;3 – The OLED display: it’s very bright and the characters and icons are well defined. Be warned: viewing the display under direct sunlight is an awkward chore, but remember that’s a common problem with OLED displays;4 – Sound quality: very good (at least for my ears). The equalizer is very responsive and there’s a customizable preset, besides some pre-programmed ones (rock / funk / jazz / classic / hip-hop / dance / off). The only gripe I have is that sometimes the player “chops” the first 0.1 – 0.2 seconds at the beggining of some tracks — more on that below;5 – Included earbuds: can’t speak for or against the earbuds, because I’ve never used them. While hiking, I wear my SBC-H320 earbuds. They’re very comfortable, have a good sound for the price and match the player (they’re made by Philips too);6 – GUI: it’s where I have most of the complaints about this player. It seems that the firmware is not very well programmed, or the processor is rather slow, because the user interface isn’t very responsive to the commands. Besides, I think this slowness is also responsible for the “chopping” problem described above. Another irritating problem is that the player doesn’t have a resume function. When you turn off the player and then turn it on again, it doesn’t remember the track being played before — it goes straight to the first track stored in the player. The third problem (less serious) is that the display lacks a progress bar;7 – Battery life: very good indeed. I usually go hiking everyday (1 to 2 hours). Under these conditions the battery charge lasts between 7 to 10 days. It charges via USB port, and the charging time is somethihg between 3 – 4 hours.Besides some irritating issues, I think it’s still a very good player. The worst problems I have with it would be easily solved with a new firmware update, if Philips wanted to release one.

sweez on September 15, 2006 2:56 PM

+ Firmware Upgrade SoftwarePosted Date: 08/30/2006 Size = 3,349 KBon the philips.com page.Have you tried this?

Almoxil on September 16, 2006 10:19 PM

Thanks for the info on the firmware upgrade. Unfortunately, the new firmware didn’t solve the problems I’ve mentioned before…

sweez on September 17, 2006 7:45 AM

Damn, I was pretty much hoping it would since I’ve got my eye on this model :) Have you tried returning it for another unit?

ali on September 22, 2006 4:21 AM

KarTameden on November 3, 2006 2:41 PM

The thing would show itself as a drive (like G:) but only as GoGear Audio Device. This is annoying. Does anyone have an idea how to get it recognised as a disk and not as a media device. Older firmware?

HaVeGoN on November 8, 2006 11:35 AM

KarTameden, I have the same problem, and haven’t found any older firmware yet. May anyone help us please?

genesys on November 11, 2006 2:47 PM

Well mine works fine. It never clips any song with me but I do agree that the player is sluggish, doesn’t play very loud and has a lame GUI, but hey, it’s 1GB. It shows up as a media device but it is possible to use it to carry data. Just put the data in the folder named Data :-) and the music in the music folder. I have yet to figure out how to create a playlist for it though. The player does have a resume feature. You just have to enable it, but for instance instead of going back to, say track two in folder 3 it will just start from the 2rd song in memory. The earphones a big and can be a bit annoyoing without the included sponges.Also if you don’t want it toget scratched just put a piece of transparent tape on it like I did.

stillsearching on December 16, 2006 6:24 PM

I bought one a few weeks ago. The sound quality is good and I like being able to organize and select music by folders. I bought the Phillips primarily to use during workouts but the accessories are just too clumsy. The earbuds are too big, the cable is kind of grippy and sort of snags on my clothes when I move, the neck lanyard is really long and bulky, and the armband is too big with weak velcro that pops off. Sorry.

matt on May 16, 2007 9:35 AM

I bought this unit yesterday and it’s just fine, It looks sophisticated and has awesome finishing so I like It.

BRIAN on May 29, 2007 8:05 PM

WHERE CAN I FIND THIS ITEM.

b147 on June 10, 2007 5:22 PM

how can I set the screensaver to clock?.. because I only get some circles

maeve on July 9, 2007 9:06 PM

I bought this model Gogear at my local Costco in April for $39. Yeah -hard to believe. I wanted to get my feet wet with something cheap so I knew what to trade up to. Turns out this product is not so cheap. The case doesn’t scratch and it looks elegant. I love the size -it fits into a pants pocket or a shirt pocket. I like the sleep feature as I play this to fall asleep at night and the folder structure that allows me to drop and drag songs from IE. The battery really lasts 12 hours. Moving from one song to another is sluggish and it’s easy to click twice thinking the first click didn’t take and then move ahead two songs instead of one. The earbuds included were just too big for my ears so I brought a matching pair of Philips SHE 9501 earbuds with asymmetrical strings ($20) at Target. I was going to get an IPod of some sort but this will do just fine for a few years.

stephanie on July 13, 2007 1:14 PM

my mom bought me this mp3 and it works just fine but it wont let me put music in it so i need help…i turned off my computer like 5 times and it still wont let me put music in my mp3

stephanie on July 13, 2007 1:15 PM

Tory smith on July 25, 2007 11:18 PM

i have a philips gogear 30 GB MP3 player and i was wondering, how do i put pictures, cd art, and new skins on it?

durga on July 30, 2007 4:54 PM

Its fine but whenever i tried to change the screen saver, its like m doing an idiot thingsIt would be better if it is littlebit fasterBut still i m feeling good with it

Aravind on August 26, 2007 2:50 PM

newayz to charge ur go gear without ne pc near by???

julie on August 26, 2007 11:01 PM

how do i erase songs onthe plilips go gear mp3

julie on August 26, 2007 11:05 PM

on the plilips mp3 1 gb how do i erase songs recorded on it.

stan on September 4, 2007 12:14 PM

Excellent product, it’s lasted me over a year and a half now and has only glitched 2 or 3 times. Despite first looks, the thing is very well built. I’ve dropped it on the ground (concrete sidewalk) a couple of times and it still ran flawlessly. And if it ever fails to run music, instant flash drive. Definately worth 100 bucks.

Carol on October 20, 2007 12:10 PM

I just bought this product. It is awesome. I downloaded the manual from the Phillips site and it is clear and concise on problems/issues I am having. I take my music, pics, vids, everywhere I go now :) Too cool!This is a product worth the money!!!

Juan Fernando Valencia on December 15, 2008 9:41 PM

Hola a todos… yo tambien compre este reproductor MP3 de Philips y hasta ahora me ha parecido excelente… el sonido es muy bueno y el diseño es de lo mejor… este reproductor no necesita tapa como los demas ya que el conector USB viene interno. Recomiendo 100% este productor por encima de marcas como Sony, Samsung y SanDisk. Gracias, chao.

Saul on December 25, 2008 12:06 PM

I cannot for the life of me get pictures on my 8gb GoGear, I’ve tried every format and the media converter says its not supported, JPEG etc… Please someone help!!!

karma on April 7, 2009 12:14 PM

i am planning to buy this and use it in my car by connecting it to the AUX. would there be any issue withethe quality on the sound. Pls advice. Thanks

anny on May 31, 2010 6:17 PM

how many songs does it fit it only shows 88 and there is still memory on it i dont know why its doin this. some folders say there empty