Microsoft Announces Zune Pricing and Release Date

ms zune thumb Microsoft Announces Zune Pricing and Release Date

Just in time for the start of the holiday shopping season the Zune is set to hit shelves on November the 14th and will retail for $250 for the 30GB version. No word on the 60GB version, however. More details also state that the Zune will come preloaded with content including audio tracks, music videos, film shorts, and images.

Also announced are official MS Zune accessories like docking stations, remote controls, FM tuners, car packs, and a bunch of other goods to go with the Zune. Although the accessories are fairly pricey, they are not far from other digital audio player accessories. Plus, if you can wait till closer to Christmas I am sure retailers will be putting together some pretty sweet packages like they do with the Xbox360. However if you cannot wait to get your sticky fingers on one, there are many retailers already offering the Zune for preorder.

[Press Release]

Woody56292 on September 28, 2006 10:51 PM

Umm… there isn’t a 60gb version.

Utew on September 29, 2006 12:50 PM

DRM-inflicted WiFi and lack of styling make this a very mediocre effort on MS’s part. The only positives that I can see are a 3 in. screen and a rather nice OS/GUI… I think we’ll be waiting for the Zune 2 before they get their act together and produce a decent competitor… as it stands now I am un-impressed…Trying to make money off of a galaxy of expensive add-on accessories sounds familiar, eh? Welcome to Evil Empire II…..Heck who knows.. sell it through Wal-Mart and perhaps it’s take off.. but somehow I doubt it…

MoFrappy on September 29, 2006 4:40 PM

Its basically the iPod. Only slightly (very slightly) larger in size, with…1) a bigger screen2) a better user interface (if you have used a Toshiba S30 you know what I am talking about!)3) WiFi connectivity4) Cheaper accessories (yeah its true… so stop griping about it lol)5) a better musice service $.99/song OR $15/month “all you can eat” subscription service6) it plays all the songs I ripped into .aac that I can’t play on either of my broken iPods (each which barely lasted a year lol…), so I don’t have to re-rip my CDs…On top of all these features, I would expect the sound quality to be better than the (average at best) iPod sound quality…Don’t get me wrong, for the last couple years I have thoroughly enjoyed my iPod, but I was thinking about buying a Toshiba S30 cuz I was tired of buying new iPods every year (but what do i know, maybe the S30 or S60 only lasts a year too, but its worth trying something new!), but with the Zune coming out I decided to wait. I am tired of waiting and it sucks that I have to wait another month and a half… but whatever, I got Sirius in my car anyways… that’ll hold me over til then. lol

Kurt Langland on September 30, 2006 1:33 PM

It will be worth looking at….but it seems to be a almost pure iPod copy….including a fake “click wheel.” With a closed system locked into the Zune music site the parallels are more than obvious. Battery reports are not good but we need to wait for an actual unit in our hands. I would suspect that “beaming” songs to another Zune will cut into battery life a great deal. From what I’ve read…it is not exactly WiFi connectivity as it only beams to another Zune.I’m surprised to hear that it reads .acc. That is kinda neat. Surprised that Apple did not block that option.I suspect however that the Zune will capture most of it’s marked share from other non-ipod products. Most iPod users that I know are locked into iTunes and don’t seem to mind.

@Kurt Langland on September 30, 2006 6:15 PM

“I’m surprised to hear that it reads .acc. That is kinda neat. Surprised that Apple did not block that option.”I think you mean .aac, and Apple can’t block that option because Apple doesn’t own a patent to .aac technology. Licensing the .aac format is free.

DM on October 13, 2006 5:24 AM

It might be better than iPod, but it aint better than creatives zen vision m.

Dam Its Matt on October 25, 2006 8:47 PM

AHHHH SHIITTT!!!! i cant wait to get my zune in the mail tomorrow!

Brian on November 4, 2006 4:27 PM

My Zen Vison M Just broke… if i cant get it fixed… im looking here…only setback i can think of is it does not accept .avi files… which most of my movies are

Qualen on October 15, 2007 11:08 PM

Zune is shit!Zune 2 is gonna be amazing!Can’t wait until it comes out,I wonder if you can trade in yourold Zune toward the new one.