One Reason to Buy a Honda CR-V – In-dash Compact Flash

honda crv cf small One Reason to Buy a Honda CR V   In dash Compact Flash

Not too long ago we saw a compact flash slot in the 2007 Infinity G35 and now the trend continues into more “affordable” autos. Now appearing in Honda’s new CR-V EX-L model with the optional navigation system, this MP3 player will set you back thirty grand. There are no specifics on Honda’s website but we do know that it will play MP3 and WMA audio files. The slot appears to be a standard PCMCIA with a CF card adapted, so possibly other memory can be used.

The auto industry is always slow to implement new audio technologies, but it is starting to move in the right direction. Before you know it, proud Kia owners will have memory slots of their own.

honda crv large One Reason to Buy a Honda CR V   In dash Compact Flash

[Honda]

Danny on October 31, 2006 5:08 PM

Did you miss the Honda Civic Hybrid with this same feature?

Anon on December 27, 2006 2:55 AM

Agreed, this is on the Civic all ready.

Pete on February 2, 2007 5:46 PM

I own a 2007 Honda Civic Hybrid with navigation and it has the PC Card slot behind the screen. I love it! I had the iPod MusicLink accessory installed as well, but I never use it. Putting the MP3 files on the CF card gives me greater control over organizing and playing the music than using the iPod. I wasted money on the MusicLink. Right now I use a 1GB card. I plan on buying a 16GB CF card so I can fit all of my music on a single card. Also, the 2007 Mercedes-Benz S-Class has a PC slot. Get the iPod adapter only if you want to listen to the audio of any videos on your iPod. Otherwise, use the PC card and save your money.

Anuj on February 26, 2007 8:22 PM

I thought the manual says you cannot use a storage card greater than 2GB

Rob on March 2, 2007 7:22 PM

The manual does say to not use a card larger than 2gb. I have this system in my new Civic hybrid and its great, but I keep having a problem with the flash card installing a “_1″ before every track and those are not playable, and then the folder winds up having double the amount of tracks. And there are many tracks that are there on the card but the system will not recognize. I’ve attempted to clean them off the card, re-install them, etc, but still have this problem. anyone else encoutering this?

Ahmed Jan on March 18, 2007 12:59 PM

I have an ’06 Accord with navigation. It has the PC card slot in the trunk, but it says on the manual guide that it’s for factory use only :( Does anyone know how to use this slot to play my music?

Arvid on March 25, 2007 9:20 AM

Pete,We just purchased an 07 Civic and I am not able to get the PC card to function. I get an error ” media error” did you ever have this problem?

Duane on April 5, 2007 8:36 AM

Hi Arvid,I had the same “media error” message on my CR-V when I used a 5-in-1 PC card adapter with an SD card. Both Honda national and my dealer were clueless. So I switched to a Compact Flash PC card adapter and a 1GB CF card and it works fine.

Habib on April 7, 2007 9:46 PM

Hi pete,I just bought sandisk CF card adapter from bestbuy for my civic 2007 but for some reson it wont fit in my PC slot. Do i need to buy some different card adapter? Can you give me link about that product or atleast let me know where can i find it?

nooruddin on April 8, 2007 7:47 PM

I have a bigger problem My 4gb CF will not work. it reboots my navi. anyone knwo why??

Wenwake on April 9, 2007 10:42 AM

I am totally lost!!! Just want to download my itunes to a PC Card (to use in my just acquired CRV)- What exactly do I need to buy??

nooruddin on April 10, 2007 7:46 PM

get a CF card or a SD card and an adapter for which ever card you decide to buy and transfer the songs in the card insert the card in the adapter and insert the adapter in the PC Slot in the car. It should start reading the songs and playing it, it is a little slow so be a little patient.As long as the songs are in spec of what the audio system will read you should not have any problem.

wenwake on April 11, 2007 6:58 AM

Thank you nooruddin! Will try that!

Habib Khan on April 11, 2007 5:24 PM

hi,I just wanted to purchase PC card adaptor for my new honda Civic but seem like no one has it. I’ve tried Sandisk but it won’t fit in my pc card slot. Can you help me and let me know which pc card adaptor do i need.

habib on April 11, 2007 5:27 PM

Hi nooruddin,I bought SD adaptor but it wont fit in my pc card slot..do you know why? and do you know which one do i need it?

taylor on April 29, 2007 1:51 PM

i am looking for a card but need to know what size to get…any suggestions

Phal on April 30, 2007 2:38 AM

Go to surpluscomputers.com, and buy a PCMCIA adapter for Compact Flash and buy a PQI 2GB CF card. Make sure the total # of folders (albums) is less than 99 and total songs in the card is less than 999.I haven’t done this yet on my 06 Hybrid Navi but will do so in a day or two.Also heard that VBRs are difficult to play by the system…do google search on ‘civic PC card issue’ and you will see other readings. Wish Honda site was more informative – it adds a cool feature and then lacks documentation.

nooruddin on April 30, 2007 7:53 PM

Yes, VBR are difficult to play it will reboot your Navi so convert them to FBR and you should be okay

bukubucks on June 26, 2007 2:11 AM

HiI’ve been getting “media error” when using SanDisk Ultra II 2.0GB SD card in my PCMCIA adapter. My other SD cards from 256MB to 2GB works fine. I’ve already exhanged this card for a new one, thinking maybe it was defective. But receiving the same results. Any ideas? Could it be that the Ultra is too fast? Thanks

Andrew on July 19, 2007 10:29 AM

I have a CR-V EX (European Model) with the Alpine Sat Nav. I have tried a few combinations of adaptor and card and this is what works for me.Sandisk 6 in 1 PC card adapter. It is actually referred to in the Honda Sat Nav Manual.Up to 2 GB SD Card. I have tried a range of slow to 150x cards and they all seem to work. I also tried a 4 GB card and oddly I could see some of the Albums loaded onto the card but Only the first 3 to 4. The rest were on the card but not visible on the card display. I assume that the Alpine Sat Nav does not support cards with capacities of more than 2 GB properly.BTW the CR-V is a great car, quiet, economical and built to last

Shannon on July 30, 2007 1:55 PM

I just purchased a 2007 HOnda CRV EX-L with NAVI and want to acquire a Compact Flash card and adapter. Has anyone tried this yet? Is there a a certain adapter and card i should purchase?

spawn on August 21, 2007 2:13 PM

Hi, I own a 2007 Accord EXL and there is a pc slot available in the trunk. I have tried 2 different PCMCIA compact flash card adapters (Sandisk and Optex) with 2 different CF memory cards (Sandisk and OfficeDepot 2GB, both type II), and neither works.However, both of these adapters/mem cards work in the CRV-2007 pc card slot. Has anyone got their pc card slot working in the 2007 Accord?I’m not sure if it supports MP3/WMA playback like the CRV. The manual says the slot is only for factory use. But for the CRV the manual actually says for MP3/WMA playback.For those trying out the pc card slots make sure your files are placed into FOLDERS (eg. “fast”, “slow”) on the memory card, and the card is formatted in FAT32 format.

Clay on August 26, 2007 11:44 PM

We just bought a 2007 Honda Civic Ex with the Nav system. I am using the SanDisk 6-in-1 PC Card Adapter which I got on Amazon.com for $25.42 and using the a SD 2 gig card I got from Best Buy on sale this weekend fro $24.99. They work great! I created a folder for my wife and one for me and started loading MP3′s on them. I really love the way it all works, this is exactly what I wanted to see a system do every since napster came out. I hope this helps someone outBTW, love the car and the NAV system, it is worth the extra money for the system.

Joe34 on September 9, 2007 1:19 PM

My CR-V has a 40gb built in hard disk drive in the Navi. It holds thousands of songs. The adapter also supports controlling my iPod playlists and playing iPod videos.It also supports bluetooth and calculates the best route based on thousands of nationwide traffic sensors.Here is a link to my navi model http://www.honda.co.jp/navi/cr-v/vxh-082mcv/

David on October 5, 2007 1:30 PM

I have a 2007 Honda CR-V with the PC Card slot. I have just managed to get it working with a Sandisk 6-in-1 PC Card Adapter, Model Number SDAD-67, Part Number 20-90-03069, coupled to a Sandisk Ultra II SD Card plus USB i.e. a USB connector is part of the SD card. Part Number SDSDPH-2048-902. Hope this helps someone.David, England

Paul Sher on December 11, 2007 6:37 PM

I have a 2008 Honda CR-V. I keep getting Media Error Messages with a SanDisk 2Gb CF and a “generic” PCMCIA Adapter. I formatted the CF in my Mac but as DOS. What am I doing wrong?

Tom on December 27, 2007 10:54 AM

waht are vbr and FBR?

csx on January 17, 2008 1:55 PM

I have a Lexar CF card reader and a SanDisk 2GB Extreme II card and periodically my unit stops playing, then skips (yes skips while playing off the compact flash card) then reboots. Sometimes it is fine sometimes its the same thing over and over. I tried an old 64MB card with different songs and same issue, also tried different formatting types and same thing. Have yet to get a new card reader. Has anyone else had their units reboot like this?

ryanr on January 20, 2008 2:21 AM

It seems as though VBR MP3s reboot/skip. VBR is Variable Bit Rate – you know the MP3 is of this type if the kbps number keeps jumping when you play it in WinAmp. Those files need to be converted to FBR (Fixed Bit Rate).I too have the issue Paul Sher has except I have tried Optex PCMCIA multi-card reader with 1GB through 2GB SD cards. I have also tried FAT and FAT32 as well as with and without ID3 tags. Finally, I have also tried one file and/or one folder and a short file name non-VBR or FBR.Anybody have an idea why this gives a ‘MEDIA ERROR’ message?

Kiran on February 17, 2008 6:58 PM

I am using a sandisk CF Ultra II 4gb card and currently have 4 folders of music, about 50 songs in each folder. All my songs are in MP3 format. I am having issues with the system skipping over some songs. For some reason, it will skip about 30 songs in a row and I’m not sure why. These songs will play in one mode and not the other, for example they will play in Artist mode but not album mode. Anyone have any ideas? Any help would be appreciated!

aray1981 on March 5, 2008 3:00 PM

Honda Civic 2007 HybridI have 6 in 1 Sandisk adapterand a 1 gb SD.In the SD there must be one folder…I named it MP3…then i have all my songs in there or have subfolders of artists.I think it wont work it the SD has multiple folders. it worked for me…before that I was getting media error when i placed the mp3s in the SD. The Navi also didn’t read when I had multiple folders of the artists.So whether you have just mp3s or folders of mp3s..ultimately they all need to be in one main folder. Try it.

Beat on March 18, 2008 12:41 AM

Honda CRV 2007 MP3 problemI have a 6 in 1 Sandisk adapter with a 2 GB SD card and was able to only play about 1/2 of all songs. I just realized that the problem is not on the car or the SD card but on the card reader since it only supports cards of up to 1 GB.If anybody knows of a card reader that can read 2 GB please let me know.

CP on May 25, 2008 5:35 PM

Hi! Oh dear I put what I thought was the correct card in the slot and it fell into a big empty hole – can’t see it coming out without going back to the garage! It was a lexar 2GB compact flash card, I brought the manual into the shop so I don’t know how its wrong!Love the car!

marc on June 17, 2008 7:54 AM

CP I did the same, my kind wife used twisers to grab the CF, I now have the adaptor DOH

william on June 18, 2008 11:44 PM

Uhmmm, bump into this and wondering if anyone can lend an extended help plse…lolI’ve a trusty honda odyssey (RA3)-1995 and am seeking to buy a honda navigation screen to replace ours. By chance anyone knows of any half cut shops, tip or dealer that we can contact plse?Kind regards

will on June 18, 2008 11:46 PM

Nick on July 1, 2008 4:42 PM

With the adapter inserted, does the display/faceplate close? Or does the adapter stick out. Does it go all the way in?

Karensen on July 5, 2008 10:05 AM

I just bought a Compact Flash reader and 2G card for my Honda Civic. I can’t get the WMA files to work, only get a File Error message. Any suggestions onthis

Karensen on July 5, 2008 10:06 AM

Sping Chou on October 18, 2008 5:09 AM

In fact,some items even support 8G SD Card,here is a unit for Honda CRV,which support more than 4G SD card:http://www.autodvdgps.com/7-inch-honda-crv-car-pc-gps-cdc-touch-screen-usb-sd-p-174.html

Howard S on December 18, 2008 2:34 PM

Hello – just got a 2009 CR-V w/ NAV. Got a 2gb compact flash drive – loaded 200+ tunes from iTunes that were save in mp3 format. Popped the compact flash in a PCMCIA drive and it worked great – sound it amazing. Some of the files weren’t read, but they may be mp4 files or have the 1_ or 2_ in front of them.

Eoghan on March 9, 2009 5:49 AM

Hunted high and low for a compact flash adaptor for my (UK) 08 CR-V. eventually found a 6 in 1 memory card PC Card adaptor and a 2gb SD card from Maplin. plonked about 30 albums on it. both adaptor and card work fine. files are WMA and sound excellent.http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=97112

slim on July 23, 2009 4:50 AM

bought 2008 honda cr-v with sat nav audio system works perfectly with datafab pcmcia 5in one adaptor & sandisk 2gb sd card.datafab adaptor on amazon £16.99. sd card memorybits.

Trekman on September 14, 2009 8:51 PM

Got a 2009 CR-X EX-L Navi and 6-in-1 Sandisk card adapter. Tried 1GB and 2GB SD cards and still getting “Media Error”. Do I really need a plain old 1-1 card adapter for the SDs?

warden236 on January 22, 2010 6:19 PM

tried a sandisk pcmcia adaptor for compact flash + 2gb sandisk compact flash card – media error – cant get it to work

Gouw on March 13, 2010 4:50 PM

We bought a Honda CRV 2008 with navi. With the help of the comments on this site i bought a transcend compact flash adapter (TS0MCF2PC) with a 2gb transcend compact flash card (TS2GCF133). It works fine!But 2gb is not enough for all the musicfiles. Does anyone succeed with cards larger than 2gb in the fabric-navigation-system in the CRV?