Sansa e200R Series Built for Rhapsody and Best Buy

sansa e280R Sansa e200R Series Built for Rhapsody and Best Buy

With the announcement this morning of the upcoming Best Buy Digital Music Store (powered by RealNetwork’s Rhapsody 4.0) came firm details about the previously announced Sansa e200R series of digital audio players. Available through Best Buy retail stores across the country and Rhapsody’s online shop, the $140 e250R (2GB), $180 e260R (4GB), $220 e270R (6GB), and $250 e280R (8GB) ship with over 30 hours of preloaded music and its new under-the-hood technology platform dubbed Rhapsody DNA.

One of the coolest features of Rhapsody DNA, which is based on the company’s Helix DRM, is that users can subscribe to particular channels (according to artist or genre) and then receive automatic updates whenever new content in that channel is available.

The Best Buy Digital Music Store and the Sansa e200R series will officially link arms and storm the iTunes/iPod fortress together beginning October 15. And in lieu of battle paint, Best Buy is giving away free two-month subscriptions to its store (normally priced at $14.99/month) with the purchase of a Sansa player.

[Product Page via Gizmodo]

Mst on October 6, 2006 9:03 PM

So what is the exact difference between the e200R and e200? I mean is this extra 30 dollars worth it? Someone explain this to me in simplier terms, please.

drew on October 7, 2006 10:08 AM

i think you get like a month or two free of the rhapsody subscription service.

CFP on October 7, 2006 8:54 PM

From Real Support Community (Real Staff Member)10-05-2006 04:02 PM:[Begin Quote]Buy the new Sansa e200R Rhapsody MP3 Player for the best Rhapsody To Go experience possible. The Sansa e200R Rhapsody is the first groundbreaking Rhapsody-Optimized device. Previous Sansa models cannot be upgraded to a Rhapsody-Optimized device.The Sansa e200R Rhapsody MP3 Player is not the same as PlaysForSure devices – it’s better! That’s because it uses RealNetworks’ own Helix DRM to manage Rhapsody To Go tracks. It was also designed using Rhapsody DNA to provide unparalleled integration between Rhapsody and the device. For these reasons and more, you get the most fun, easy, and reliable music experience, including:Rhapsody Channels To Go – Discover new music you’ll enjoy, right on your device! Drag and drop your favorite channel and Rhapsody transfers 3-5 hours of fresh, new music from that channel to the MP3 player. Rhapsody automatically updates the channel every time you connect.Rate and Purchase songs – Rate and purchase songs directly from the device! Rhapsody saves the rating or purchases the song when you connect the device to your computer.Faster Transfer speeds – The combination of Rhapsody 4 + Sansa Rhapsody delivers device transfer speeds twice as fast as PlaysForSure devices and 40% faster than iPod.Artist information – Rhapsody includes artist information (accessible by pressing the center button on the Sansa Rhapsody) as well as album art.Subscription Status – Content status, including when it expires, shown clearly on device.The Sansa e200R comes equipped with over 30 hours of pre-loaded music that you can play for FREE right out of the box, including songs from hundreds of the world’s most popular artists from EMI Music, SONYBMG Music Entertainment, Universal Music Group, and Warner Music Group.The Sansa e200R is available in capacities ranging from 2 to 8GB, and comes with all the world class features of a standard e200, including a brilliant display; audio, video and photos; digital FM tuner; integrated voice recorder with built-in microphone; strong, scratch-resistant alloy casing; a microSD expansion slot for additional memory capacity; a sleek, thin design with large 1.8″ TFT color screen, and a customer replaceable, rechargeable Lithium Ion battery with up to 20 hours battery life (based on continuous playback at 128 kbps MP3).The devices are immediately available for pre-ordering directly from RealNetworks via http://www.rhapsody.com with shipment expected by the middle of October, and starting next week from Best Buy.While Rhapsody 4 still works with PlaysForSure devices, use a Rhapsody-Optimized MP3 player for the best Rhapsody To Go experience. Rhapsody-Optimized MP3 players use RealNetwork’s own Helix DRM to manage Rhapsody To Go tracks. Helix DRM has been intelligently designed to provide the easiest and most reliable way to get your music and go! Users with Rhapsody-Optimized devices will have a more positive DRM experience than users with PlaysForSure devices.[End Quote]- – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – -Also from Real Support Community:With all the confusion in the MP3 world (just drop by a best buy and you can quickly determine very few folks really understand what’s available, PFS, etc), why would someone that isn’t a Rhapsody user buy an E200R? I think your team should consider making firmware available for the existing E2XX users and use the “R” firmware as a reason to subsribe to Rhapsody as opposed to the reverse scenario. I’ll guarantee if you don’t do this, then you will have people that either buy an “R” unit and never take advantage of Rhapsody (perhaps they won’t subscribe) OR you will have E2XX people that want the “R” but didn’t realize they were different (not to mention Amazon sells these puppies cheap right now).Hopefully this makes sense – I’m a pretty simple guy, and I’m telling you – don’t miss your chance by locking Rhapsody lovers out of the game if they purchase the wrong device. In my case, my E260 won’t be replaced with an “R” unit anytime soon, even with the enhancements. Luckily I am a VERY loyal Rhapsody customer user, so I won’t leave because of this dilema.Thanks, and I hope you are listening since I truly believe my logic above is on track.DaveRRhapsody Team: Please learn from this example: People who purchased Iriver T10 devices were UPSET that in the US they needed to use the MTP (WMP10) protocol as opposed to the UMS protocol. People didn’t like the fact that they couldn’t drop and drag music to the device and had to use WMP10 to sync music (or a service like Rhapsody, Napster). Folks quickly found ways to put UMS on the MTP device, which to me RUINED A DEVICE THAT WAS MADE FOR SUBSCRIPTION MUSIC but the owner didn’t realize this when it was purchased. I feel the same will happen with the “R” device. Please prove me wrong – again thanks for listening.

zaw on November 23, 2006 4:52 PM

I don’t under why MP3 players need to be tied up with pitucular software.If they want DRM put DRM information in the file and software decied if it legal or not.No wonder ipod is killing all other players.

david on November 30, 2006 3:58 PM

I just purchased the Sansa e260. I’ve been holding out since 128MB players were this price. I’m quite happy with it.Stupid question: The accessory port on the bottom looks identical to the iPods. Is it possible to use any iPod accessories with this player, or am I asking for trouble?

jorge on January 11, 2007 11:40 PM

hello, i was wondering if someone could help me with my sansa. i loaded some songs,pictures, and then i decided to delete them, but the problem is that even after i had deleted the songs,pictures and the promo video. it tells me that i only have 609.9 mb’s from 2 GIGs.

amy on January 19, 2007 12:31 AM

where’s the reply to the last post? i’m having the SAME problem. (plus about a billion others.) i am so frustrated that i have to say don’t buy this thing. it’s just a huge PAIN in the ass.

vlodko on February 1, 2007 6:44 PM

david, accessories designed for ipod won’t fit sansa. port looks alike but it it geometrically different, i mean it is shorter. i tried to use ihome speaker dock, and sansa won’t fit.

Lawrence on February 4, 2007 10:07 PM

Jorge/Amy – try RTFM before complaining. that way you don’t look foolishread above about PRELOADED music. jeeshZAW – you don’t understand DRM, obviously. Its the record companies that push some of the requirements, not the player makers. iPod/iTunes is a closed, proprietary system and will suffer just as MACs did. Great head start, but they will lose it before long if Apple doesn’t open upAs for why the 200R is worth more – for me its about all the iTunes ripped music I have. The e200R series plays AAC (non-DRM) files! I’ve held off a on a player for a while, as iPods are overpriced, but I have lots of AAC files from when I was using iTunes to play/rip my own CDs (due to higher fidelity than MP3)I came across a great web site comparison of the 200 vs 200R series, but after 5 minutes, I couldn’t find it today. sorry.

Owen Biewahn on February 7, 2007 7:24 AM

I recently brought the e280 with FM radio and am a little dissappointed with the product for following reasons:-a) Poor firmware which is restrictive and cumbersome in use – it tends to reorganises your music files to suit itself destroying your own order. For example you may want to bunch together a group of instrumental tracks but it will break them down and split them up by original artist and/or album.b) Plays tracks in alphabetical title order not the album order unless you number each one which is laborious.c) Import/creation of Playlists does not seem to work despite having tried with both media player 10 (which it claims to support) and 11. Transfer of tracks works quickly and well however.d) Similarly import of album graphics is very hit or miss and fails most of the time.e) File transfer capacity seems to be limited to the amount of free memory in your PC. ie if you want to transfer a 1Gb file using the device make sure you have 1Gb of free memory (not total) memory capacity on your receiving PC or else it fails. On the other hand you can split your file into smaller chunks but this is very time consuming.f) It is very slow starting up (about 15 secs on average) and occassionally goes into a song database rebuild mode for no apparent reason which can take 5 or 6 minutes to complete.g) The highest volume setting can barely be heard when travelling in noisy environments such as an underground train but is OK in the street.g) No simple text or list creation/view facility. No ebook facility.h) No ability to assign station ID to FM radio presets.i) PDF product manual is not complete and has missing sections/information.j) Occasional system hang after video play back which takes several minutes to clear.Overall: Good hardware currently let down by poor buggy software – liveable with but far from perfect. If it had the iRiver firmware or something equivalent it would be great. Just hope later firmware upgrade address these issues. Like microSD capability though.

liliana on February 17, 2007 2:16 PM

mmmm… excuse me my name is liliana i´m from mexico and i´m only 13 years old, in the last xmas my father gave me an iPod like the picture and i dont know how to put videos in this iPod… S.O.S. i´d like watch videos here because only i can listen music and its boring… help me please mye-mail is la_wera_sexy@hotmail.com i dont speak english very well but i will try to talk with you ….add me and tell me please…PLEASE!!!i will be crazy if i cant put videos!!! aaahh!!!LoveLiliana

amy on March 10, 2007 2:30 PM

my e280r is telling me that i need to delete files so it can download the new firmware, but i can’t delete the files from it f my computer won’t recognize that it is plugged in. HELP!

Yo Bro on March 19, 2007 1:06 PM

My on the go list of my e200r quit working, It still gives me the option of adding songs to it, but when I add songs to it they dont show up.Please help.

Jeff on March 24, 2007 5:45 PM

I say screw Rhapsody. There will be a day in the near future when all music you buy online contains no DRM. I commend Steve Jobs for stating publicly that he’d unlock iTunes (for other players) if the major labels would stop requiring DRM. Also, I don’t know why anyone would pay good money for a mp3 version of a song. All songs should be offered in a lossless audio format so that we the people can encoded it to a format we desire and at the bit rates want. Also, the music industry should release all music at 64 or 96kbps for FREE so that the customers can preview songs before buying. The quality won’t be good enough to really enjoy at those bit rates but it will give customers an idea if they want the song or not. The other thing they should do is sell CDs for less then $7.99. The music industry has been milking the consumer for ages, not to mention a lot of people bought multiple formats of the same music (albums, cassette tape, CDs, mp3s). Why should we pay for the same music multiple times? Also, why is it in today’s age most albums only have 1 or 2 songs worth listening to? I don’t know if the Artists are to blame for this or if the music industry has it’s hand in it as well. Meaning, they don’t give the artists enough time to make their music or if they don’t push back on the artist when 90% of the album sucks since they want to push it to market and make money.Btw, a e200 series Sansa can not be become a e200R Sansa. There are hardware changes in the player itself that prevent this from happening. But no worries, the changes were to include a new DRM format (what we the people should not want) – no other changes to the player was made, well none that we e200 series Sansa owners would care about. Not to mention, you can’t hack a e200R series and put RockBox on it. That means you won’t be able to play pac-man or doom on your e200R players. lolHere are some things the industry (music/hardware companies) need to do as a whole…1) No DRM for any music you buy.2) All audio (music, audio books, etc.) should be offered in a Lossless format.3) The hardware industry as a whole should develop a standard audio player connection that all should use. Why not just use a USB connect? Well, there is a reason for those proprietary connections, they allow for Line Outputs (better quality audio when connected to audio devices – car, home stereo, etc.). Also, digital information about the song can be sent using – including album artwork, etc.4) Provide 64-96kbps downloadable full songs (with no DRM) so customers can preview the music before buying.5) If DRM is to be used then allow customers to download good quality bit-rate music to preview a full song 1 or 2 times before it’s playback is disabled. The industry could also lace the song with a prefix advertisement so they can make a few bucks, just like radio does.6) Sell CDs for less (under $7.99), more people will buy them. Last I checked, BMG and like services worked out well since people wanted CDs for cheap.7) Increase the quality of CDs produced by insuring there’s enough good music on it to make it worth buying the whole CD. If not, then just release the song(s) as singles. The artist and the music industry shouldn’t be allowed to make full profits off a CD if only one song is good on it. Would you buy a care if the tires were good but the rest of it wasn’t?8) If DRM is to be used then only use ONE type. Why the heck do we need multiple DRM based products? This is the whole reason why we have Rhapsody.

justin on April 16, 2007 4:48 PM

hi ive had my sansa e200R for a while, but i cant seem to put videos on it. i tried putting them through the media converter but when i try to actually out them on my player, they dont work! Im probably just missing something really simple but i just cant get it to work. Please help!!!!!!

paul c on April 23, 2007 4:32 PM

does anyone know how to increase the volume? i work in a noisy environment and struggle to hear anything on its loudest setting. an the minute it is useless to me!any help would be greatly appreciated.

AJ on April 24, 2007 10:57 AM

Ok, so my 2GB Sansa is supposed to hold somewhere around 500 songs, or so it says. I loaded som music onto it and I got to 190 songs and it says that my memory is full. What the heck is the problem, why am I only fitting 190 songs on there. I thought it might be because of all the music that came on it with the “Rhapsody Channels” that you can go to from the main menu, but when I try hook it up to the computer and find those files, I can’t find them so I can’t delete any of that music. What do I do to get rid of those songs and fit more music on my Sansa?!!! HELP PLEASE!!!

yvonne on May 29, 2007 12:46 AM

Hi, when I try to load my sandisk software for the 2 months worth of free music, it downloads to 99%, then just hangs there, can anyone help me with that?

Wathomas on June 2, 2007 5:26 AM

To DRM or not to DRM, that is the question:While most of us abhor DRM of any fashion, I must admit that Rhapsody is on the right track.Where as Microsoft Play For Sure tracks must each be individually authorized and licensed.The Rhapsody helix DRM authorizes the entire player, not each track individually. This saves a lot of time downloading each file and then renewing the license for each track.Since the Helix DRM does not need to have a track by track license, you can use your e200R series (and soon Iriver Clix) with the Rhapsody firmware and simply “authorize” the entire device.This makes renewing tracks much simpler and faster.It was this file by file licensing by Microsoft that often created issues where certain songs wouldn’t play and caused so much heartache for us subscription based customers.Lets not kid ourselves. Rhapsody is primarily a “subscription based” service with the ability to purchase music, where I-Tunes is purchase only.I think for subscription based services, DRM is a completely valid measure as long as it is handled well, and the e200R with Rhapsody handles it about as best as I have seen.With Rhapsody Channels, you can have Rhapsody stream up to 3 hours per channel of your favorite Genre, and if you want to listen to it more than once you can add it to your devices library with a single click of the button and Rhapsody will download the subscription track to your player the next time you hook up the player to your computer.I may not “love” DRM, but at least I have a ton more options with the Rhapsody e200R than I have with an I-Pod Nano, and it’s cheaper too.After all, it’s a subscription. much like XM radio, only much much more versitile.

bill on June 2, 2007 2:42 PM

all i want to do is connect to my computer and delete songs without using rhapsody. how do i do it?

William Thomas on June 3, 2007 4:56 AM

It’s quite simple, actually:Plug in your Sansa to your computer in “Rhapsody” mode.Your Computer will enumerate your player as two removable drives.The first one represents the player itself. The second one represents the MicroSD slot on the side.Open the contents of the first drive and use folder options in Windows to show “hidden files and folders”Once that is done, you will see a “music” folder listed.This folder is where Media Player syncs it’s content to, and generally is the main folder you would use to drag and drop your content.However, Rhapsody uses a completely separate folder.This folder is located inside the “system” folder. Open that folder and there is another “music” folder.This folder is where the Sansa holds all the Rhapsody DRM encoded content and is filled with files that have an 8 digit number and the .rax extension.This is all the Rhapsody content. The sansa uses a playlist generated by Rhapsody to catalog all the numerical files into something that can be “read” by the software. Thus you can’t individually delete certain songs from this folder without using Rhapsody, but you can wipe out all the Rhapsody songs by merely emptying the folder by deleting all the .rax files.If you are using rhapsody channels, the music in this folder is regularly refreshed and renewed with new content when you update the channel.If you have used the center button to “save to library” a track you liked from the channel, the player merely marks that file as a downloaded subscription track and thus does not overwrite it with new channel content.Any files that have not been “saved” to the library are automatically overwritten with new content when that channel is updated.If you want to actually delete “individual” rhapsody songs based on artist, song title, etc. It must be done via Rhapsody software.If you, like me, want to hold both Rhapsody content and your own ripped music, you must save some space on the player for Rhapsody to write it’s songs to. That means not filling the main “music” folder to the rim.I use MP 11 to sync locally saved content, and in advanced options I set Media Player to save 40% of the space for other applications. This allows me plenty of room to store my rhapsody channels, plus the database files required to catalog them.NOTE: When Syncing with Media Player, the player must be placed in “Plays For Sure” mode. If it is not, when you first sync your device, the music will be placed in the proper location and can be played by the player, however, the next time you connect the device, Media Player will incorrectly report that there are no files on the device.By setting it up in Plays For Sure Mode, Media Player will not only properly sync the files you choose to the player, but will see them the next time you connect the device to your computer.You must switch the player back to Rhapsody mode prior to updating your Rhapsody channels, or downloading specific Rhapsody tracks. If the player is left in Plays For Sure mode, then Rhapsody will treat it like any other “Plays for Sure” DRM device and will download your content as DRM wrapped .WMA’s vice .rax files. You will not be able to use Rhapsody Channels, and the “Plays For Sure” wrapped subscription content is not as “reliable” as the .rax content because in “Rhapsody” mode, only the players “license” needs to be renewed to play the .rax content. With Plays For Sure, each file must be renewed.This leads for much slower times when “renewing” your licenses and as many of us have experienced with earlier model Sansa’s or other Plays For Sure MP3 players, some Plays For Sure content is not properly renewed (Microsoft’s bug, not Rhapsody) leading the file to expire and require re-downloading from the Rhapsody site.It’s some of these “known issues” with PFS based DRM that has led Microsoft to basically abandon it in favor for it’s new Zune based DRM.Hope this helps.

Dana on June 18, 2007 10:07 PM

This device is fantastic. I’ve been a Rhapsody To Go user for year with my Treo/PocketTunes Deluxe, but that suffered major DRM issues monthly. This device flies and operates smoothly.I still can’t understand why people would want to buy an iPod and buy their music. Don’t they get sick of the same songs? Don’t they want to discover new music?

Tom on June 25, 2007 11:12 AM

I really love this device. I know alot of people say I don’t want to borrow music I want to own it. Once I started using Rhaposdy I was hooked, there is so much music it’s great. I switch hundreds of tunes on and off my player monthly. A friend will call me up ask me if I have ever listened to a certain album and I will go on Rhapsody and 9 times ouf of 10 it is available on the to go service and in minutes I have it on my player and I am driving down the road listening to it. The new radio channel service is amazing. Just drag and drop a channel and you have hours of music. I have become a fan of so many different bands because of this feature. If you are a person that is into exploring differant types of music there is no better way to go. The best bang for your buck.

Deeb on June 29, 2007 9:49 PM

Is their any way to transfer my playlists from windows media player to the Sansa e240R?

Ryan Lesik on July 19, 2007 5:37 PM

i hate this thing! i have a freakin little 2GB playe and i cant put video or pics on it and limewire and the sansa media player are a total X for this thing so i have Rhapsody to go and i have problems signing in! so im payin $15 a momth for crap i cant use it so go buy and iPod or somethin and it says u can put 500 songs on it BS :Major BS i have 1 rhapsody channel and i can only get 202 songs on the dumb thing

thomas on August 14, 2007 2:40 PM

well i just bought this and i cant put my songs on there when i try to load them to the sansa media center to convert them it says its corrupt. then i tried to sync them with windows mediia player 11 it says that they were sync to the device but never showed up on the mp3 player. can anyone help me figure this out.

Bub on September 7, 2007 3:31 PM

RockBox has been ported to the e200R. The port is preliminary at this time – stay tuned for an easier method than this one:http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/SansaE200RInstallation

Maria R Rothweiler on October 23, 2007 4:00 PM

Don’t use the Best Buy Music Store application by Rhapsody. It is the worst application I ever experienced. Most of the features do not work, especially the menu items under My Account.I downloaded and purchased 128 songs and all I have in my library in 78 songs. I have tried over and over to re-download, since thay are listed in my re-download list, but with no success.

Katie on December 1, 2007 4:47 PM

My dad gave me this mp3 player for Christmas last year. I encourage people not to buy it. It never worked the way it was supposed to. For example the clock never ever worked. It is a pain to upload music to it, it doesn’t play the higher quality music formats, and less than a year after having it it basically doesn’t play music anymore. You get a much better deal if you spend an extra $100 and get the 80GB i-pod.

Sameer on December 31, 2007 6:22 PM

I purchased Sansa e200R mp3 player and tried using “Best Buy Digital Music Store” software to manage my mp3 player. Whenever I connect my mp3 player, I get the dialog message “Rhapsody needs to do an update to support your portable device.”. So I click OK and let the update go thru and I get the dialog message “Installation complete”. After this, I get the same 1st dialog abt upgrade and this keeps happening. I have click almost 375 times but this never ends. I am unable to transfer my playlists to Sansa.I am using Windows 2000. Has anybody experienced this? What could be the reason for this?Thanks in advance.

neetu on February 28, 2010 1:44 PM

i have sansa e260 4.0 GB scandisk mp3 player.but there is a problem in it .this message is displaying on the screen “load main image failed switch to recovery mode “so plz help me regarding this .how to solve this .i will b very thankful..