Audiophile Grade Cables for the Creative Zen and iAudio X5

zvm quable Audiophile Grade Cables for the Creative Zen and iAudio X5

Those who want to squeeze every bit of performance out of their MP3 players can now do so with these custom cables from appropriately named company Qables. These cables are unique in that they plug right into the proprietary dock connections of Creative”s Zen line as well as iAudio’s X5, giving you direct line-out to plug into your hi-fi setup.

But as with any quality cable, these come with a heavier price tag. Depending on the player and cable setup, mini jack or RCA, they can run anywhere from $60 to well over $100. If you are a hardcore audiophile, you may want to check them out. White-earbud-wearing kids need not apply.

[Qables]

Peter Kirn on November 6, 2006 11:17 PM

I find these kind of products baffling. Even if you were interested in the kind of fidelity these cables brought, the odds of getting that fidelity out of these players just seems … well … zero. And I think the quality of these cables is a questionable advantage over the distances you’d normally connect them. Not saying go get yourself a $6 Radio Shack cable (I’ve had my share of problems with them), but … $100 for a cable to your MP3 player? Come on. I wish I had this kind of money to burn. :)

Utew on November 6, 2006 11:48 PM

Build quality and beauty alone.. have me drooling over these..Placebo effect? You betcha! Any possible gain from these cables is outweighed by a factor of about a million by the fact of compressed music artifacts and limits.

tom on November 8, 2006 7:27 PM

im confused wat do these things actually do?

Dedpoet on November 9, 2006 12:19 PM

It’s a line-out cable that bypasses the cheap headphone amplifier and jack in your portable player and instead plug it into an external amplifier. This is great news for those of us who use portable headphone amps and I have been waiting for someone to come out with a product like this since I first got my ZVM. There are several companies who make devices like this for iPods, but these are the first commercial ones I have seen for the ZVM.Currently, I connect my ZVM to my portable amp using the sync adaptor and then a decent quality mini-cable. This lets me ditch the sync adaptor and get a higher quality cable at the same time. Sure, they’re expensive, but they’re not for everyone. I agree on the placebo effect to some extent, but there is something to be said for a quality cable, as Utew said, build quality is definitely one of them. Sure, you’re not going to notice any difference listening to your 128k MP3′s through the $5 factory headphones, and if that’s what you’re looking for in a player this product isn’t for you. But, feeding high-quality encoded music to a portable amp through the line-out of your device and into some nice headphones you will notice an aftermarket cable.

kaempfer512 on November 10, 2006 2:08 PM

I don’t have any experience with high-end cables myself, but I will say that the biggest reason to get one of these cables is for the line-out signal, which is head-and-shoulders above the headphone-out on these devices. While there exist cheaper line-out alternatives for the iPod, these are the only direct line-out cables I know of for the Vision:M (not sure about the X5); pity there’s no competition, but at least it looks like a well-built and high-quality product.Keep in mind that there’s not much use for these without an amplifier/decent headphones or decent speaker system. And as noted by others, upping the quality of your ripped music will have a far greater effect than simply using these cables with crappy quality mp3s.

tom on November 10, 2006 6:21 PM

thanks. :) thats wat i thought but i was slightly unsure wel its funny cause i was just thinking about getting a speaker system just the other day… but if i got a home enteratinment unit for eg. the sony DAVDZ120 could hook it up to my ZVM?thanks again

scott saults on November 12, 2006 10:37 AM

The IAudio X5 lineout exhibits an easily measured and audible rolloff in the bass that is moderate to severe, depending on the input impedence of the amplifierto which it’s connected. Does this cable fix that problem? If it claims to, can anyone provide proof that it does?

Dedpoet on November 14, 2006 8:59 PM

Tom, if all you want to do is connect your ZVM to a stereo like that, all you need is a mini-to-rca cable. You can get one for a few bucks at someplace like Radioshack. You don’t need a high dollar interconnect for that.http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102974&cpScott, you could contact Hans at Qables and ask him that question. From all accounts he’s very friendly and helpful. I saw a post on the Head-Fi forums where he built a custom cable a guy was asking about just to see if he could do it.Also note that he has a “Performance Line” of cables that are less than 1/2 the cost. I actually ordered my cable this week and it shipped yesterday, so I’m looking forward to getting and testing it.

tom on November 16, 2006 4:01 PM

thanks heaps Dedpoet. :)

Betty on March 30, 2007 6:47 PM

Hi! Very Good Site! Keep Doing That! Would you please also visit my homepage?

Kathy on April 1, 2007 5:30 PM

Great looking site so far!! I’m just starting to look around it but I love the title page! Would you please also visit my homepage?

Betty on April 1, 2007 5:31 PM

This site is very nise and helpfull! Please visit my homepage:

Jay on December 10, 2007 11:09 PM

While that cable looks cool and it’s nice to not have to use the dock with the ZVM, I don’t think they’re worth the asking price. I think you’d be better off putting that money towards a player that supports lossless files.

Jay on December 10, 2007 11:09 PM

katy on February 10, 2009 3:34 PM

Im wearing white headphones :( but the’re Sennheiser CX300′s and I only got white because they were in the sale (£19 but the black was still £29, pretty obvious what my choice was)