BenQ MusiQ MP3 Player Dog Tag

benq music main BenQ MusiQ MP3 Player Dog Tag

It’s been a while since we’ve heard any DAP noise from BenQ, perhaps because they’ve been in the trenches collecting scraps of aluminum-magnesium to piece together their latest MP3 player, the limited edition MusiQ. Etched with two different designs (“steel wings” for guys and something called “magic bean” for girls), the 512MB/1GB player has a built-in microSD card slot and comes with a decorative dog tag and metal earphone chain. BenQ is really pulling out all the stops with this one, as they’ve already put up a dedicated battle-themed MusiQ microsite (in Chinese).

The 512MB player will retail for about $88 and can be ordered via a hotline beginning December 4th or online beginning December 15th. BenQ will also be throwing in limited edition gift sets (metal bracelet and carrying case) at random and on a first-come-first-served basis, which is a bit of a contradiction. Pricing for the 1GB player has not been released.

Untitled 1 BenQ MusiQ MP3 Player Dog Tag

benq music 1 BenQ MusiQ MP3 Player Dog Tag

benq music 5 BenQ MusiQ MP3 Player Dog Tag

benq music 4 BenQ MusiQ MP3 Player Dog Tag

oregon on November 30, 2006 6:59 PM

That things awesome. Looks as good or better than the ipod shuffle. Where are the buttons though. It looks like it has no interface. The microSD slot is a big bonus, but the 88$ for half a gig is too much. That’s ten bucks more than the one gig shuffle.

Nodspy on November 30, 2006 7:28 PM

But its sweeter than the shuffle, if I had not just got a samsung yp-tjx for my girlfriend i know she would have loved this (family in military, likes shiny things).

EnzoTen on November 30, 2006 8:47 PM

1GB microSD cards are cheap! i have seen them as low as $20

oregon on December 1, 2006 12:42 AM

MicroSD’s can be much cheaper than 20$. BTW, I was referring to the price of the player, not the microSD.

LOL on December 1, 2006 3:07 AM

This player is really awesome. I bought sony walkman two days ago, but i think that i will have to find extra money for this beautiful piece of device!!!! I like iPod shuffle as well, but benq’s Dog Tag is MUCH better

JistheOne on December 1, 2006 7:07 AM

….not impressed. Shallow marketing technique to add a dog chain to this basic mp3 player. You’re just gonna end up taking it of the necklace to use your own earphones, the packed in earbuds are always sucky.

Nodspy on December 1, 2006 10:12 AM

But for a gift for someone who dosint really give a crap about audio quality as long as its reasonable it makes a good gift.

joe on December 1, 2006 2:12 PM

Well, looks like the earbuds are Sony MDX series, so they are at least better then most buds I have seen come with mp3 players. So for most people who are not audiophiles or headphiles then they will sound perfectly good for them.

Daggah on December 1, 2006 2:30 PM

This is coming out for sure in America? I’m definitely intrigued. Can’t wait to read a review!

MacVicta on December 1, 2006 7:50 PM

lord have mercy, anythingbutipod left out one of BenQ’s marketing images: THE ONE USING THE WORLD TRADE CENTER RUINS AS ITS BACKGROUND!http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/01/benq-uses-wtc-and-9-11-imagery-to-sell-devices/what is this world coming to? and i was seriously considering this thing.

Antonio Bennilli on December 1, 2006 9:26 PM

Hate Apple and iPod as much as you want but I guarrantee Apple would never do something like this crap company and it’s crap products.

Michael2k on December 1, 2006 11:13 PM

LOL, Antonio. I own AAPL stock and three iPods and I think this is the first iPod (shuffle) killer I have ever seen.The only thing I would have done differently is remove the SD slot and make it a full GB, at this price.

manhattanproj on December 2, 2006 5:16 AM

i don’t see how engadget connects 9/11 to the photo. the ruins of the building in the background could be just ruins of A BUILDING. It doesn’t even show the twin towers, how did they connect it to 9/11? It could be Iraq or Indonesia after the tsunami. i really don’t understand how engadget link the background to 9/11.

Michael2k on December 2, 2006 10:02 AM

Uh, because the pictured building LOOKS like the World Trade Center? Load up Google and do an image search for “World Trade Center” and look for pictures of the first five floors of the building itself… it has the same columns and arches as the picture BenQ used.

e on December 2, 2006 10:40 AM

Look… it IS the World Trade Center without a doubt…but really… Who the fuck cares? Can we get over it already? It is a real shitty thing that happened, but it has been over 5 years ago. Let’s stop picking at the scab…The ad is nothing more than a cross cultural blunder and i am sure that BenQ had no ill intentions.I am American and i think that we are all way too fucking hyper sensitive… we are an immature nation that needs to grow up and stop complaining about every damn thing that crosses our paths. Really, do you really care? Has this ad really effected you in a negative way? I bet you will forget about it in a day or two

Andy on December 2, 2006 4:53 PM

@e:Are you for real?! Try telling your story to someone who lost a loved one on that horrible day. One year, five years, 100 years, it doesn’t matter. Nobody should try and capitalize on the fact that 2,800 people lost their lives in a terrible tragedy.Way to fucking hypersensitive? Immature? If you think that acting as BenQ has is mature, you need some serious help.

T on December 2, 2006 5:45 PM

erm….. do you realize that people ARE capitalizing on the fact that 2,800 people lost their lives in a terrible tragedy? have you noticed all the tv shows and movies and other media crap that has come out of september 11? people ARE making millions off of it.

e on December 2, 2006 6:26 PM

@AndyIf you think that BenQ is intentionally trying to capitalize off of an American tragedy then you have a warped sense of reality.T, is right. If anyone has made millions off of 911 its Hollywood and corporate America. If you want to point fingers on insensitivity, you need to point it right back at America.

Cat on December 3, 2006 8:26 PM

I completely agree with e on this and I kinda feel bad for it. That’s probably because I know so many will whine.Great job in standing up for the truth, e, and realizing that too many people sit and whine instead of standing up to do something about what happened. You have to look FORWARD and when you do look back, learn from it, don’t drown in it.

MacVicta on December 4, 2006 12:09 AM

@ Andyit’s not surprising at all. many heartless pricks can’t care any less about 9/11 nor the wounds still open for people that lost loved ones. hell there’s people who think it was all a conspiracy by the bush administration.and look at the excuse these morons provide for BenQ. “well other people do it, so let’s overlook BenQ’s idea to profit from this tragedy and look at others instead.” as if the wrong behavior of one forfeits any responsibility of another? if you have such a problem with “hollywood and corporate america” profiting from 9/11, that doesn’t mean your condemnation of BenQ’s actions should be any weaker! CONDEMN THEM BOTH EQUALLY!!!!!!!

CS on December 4, 2006 9:36 AM

I have a real fetish for ultra-simple shuffle-type players, and this one looks really cool. Unfortunately, the price, marketing blunders, slightly overplayed “bling” factor, and inevitable availability issues will almost assuredly keep my from getting one. Since it’s “limited edition, it also means that there’s no way that it could compete with the iPod shuffle. If they’d gone with a different marketing strategy, and produced them en masse, they could have pulled it off I think. Pity.

Jesse T on December 4, 2006 6:54 PM

Where Can I Buy One In the USA and If so email me

THEkorean on December 4, 2006 9:55 PM

omg every discussion on the MP3 player turns into the same old retarted WTC argument, who cares, the marketing team cant even translate english properly you expect them to know that the rubble of some building halfway acround the world would offend so many people (or allow them to feel offended), its not a shallow marketing plan, its some chinese dued that had a vision and brought it to life without knowing what he was doing.. mabe thats why they dont have a US release yet…SOMEONE POST SOMETHING USEFULL LIKE WHERE I CAN GET ONE OF THESE

michael2k on December 4, 2006 11:02 PM

IN CHINA!

MacVicta on December 5, 2006 1:11 PM

“Where Can I Buy One In the USA and If so email me”You’re a disgrace to all Americans.

zamboni on December 5, 2006 5:01 PM

Just spoke to BenQ US (1-866-600-2367), and they cannot find reference to it being available in the US at all any time. No product numbers, etc. Sad. The tech said that currently, BenQ does not sell MP3 products in the US, so these may never make it “over here”.

nice on December 6, 2006 5:30 AM

They will never sell their products in US (maybe) and you have to still complain about WTC, everytime you have a chance. OMG

MacVicta on December 6, 2006 6:14 PM

“The tech said that currently, BenQ does not sell MP3 products in the US, so these may never make it ‘over here’.”Excellent news. Now you can purchase an American product, the iPod shuffle.

THEkorean on December 6, 2006 7:10 PM

LOL american product, guess where its made?

Raz on December 6, 2006 7:54 PM

@MacVicta:*rolls eyes* how old are you?? I’m wondering if you’re just a troll trying to stir up trouble here.Like THEkorean said, the shuffle and most stuff by Apple is made in China, heck most things you’ll buy in the US are made in China!Get over it people, most likely the Chinese guy responsible for the ad searched Google for “ruins” “rubble” or something similar and saved the first few pictures that came up. (without bothering to check the context of the images)

MacVicta on December 7, 2006 7:05 PM

Just because the product is MANUFACTURED in Taiwan doesn’t make it Taiwanese. It is a product of American design and engineering. The profits collected are in dollars, not yen.There’s no need to ask for my age when you yourself can’t grasp that the iPod shuffle and all Apple products are American, unlike BenQ who has opted to defecate all over my flag.

Penguins eat apples on December 7, 2006 7:28 PM

Um, flag? Last time I checked, OUR flag didn’t include the ruins of the twin towers. That’s all that’s in the photo: a kid overcoming destruction with hope.

MacVicta on December 8, 2006 11:51 PM

I’m not sure what you mean by “OUR” flag. I was talking about the flag of the United States of America, the symbol of Americans such as myself. Not the French flag.

lulla on December 9, 2006 3:03 PM

MacVicta what the fuck are u talkin bout……r u some kind of a fuckin politicion. this is a mp3mplayer review blog. get the fu outta here if u wanna discuss politics….dumb fuck!!!

MacVicta on December 9, 2006 6:26 PM

Let me guess lulla, you work for BenQ?In none of my posts did I bring up a political issue.

Shendo on December 10, 2006 12:18 AM

MacVicta…you have some seriouse problems…

purple! on December 10, 2006 1:35 AM

wad’s the hotline number?? o.O

IwantToBuy on December 11, 2006 4:49 AM

Can anyone please tell me how to get in contact with the shop ?A phone number or a email address.Really want to buy some of thease players.

fuzzymemo on December 23, 2006 1:33 AM

about the “capitalize on the fact that 2,800 people lost their lives in a terrible tragedy.”umm, I’m Vietnamese, I’m not offended by the ad. And sure as fuck it been 31 years since the end of the Vietnam War and American are capitalizing on that since the day it started. So what are your take on that? Try over 3 millions death and 58,000+ US troops.Get the fuck over it! I’m sure BenQ didn’t intend to hurt anyone, why would any multi-million/billion dollars company want to be hated by its consumer? Think about it, if you actually have a brain.

Smitty on December 24, 2006 5:24 PM

I like the look of the mp3 player i just wish I could get one customize. How much are they where can I get a few.

9c1 on December 25, 2006 2:55 PM

I did not watch any 9/11 movies FLT 93 or WTC by Oliver Stone and I’ll never watch any Oliver Stone movies again because he only donate pennies to WTC related charities.There are a lot of people who involved in WTC still need help with chemicals and shit.I would have gone and see it twice if a least 70% of profits, DVD sales and Actor/ress salaries goes to people who loss or got sick from the tragic.

Lolzzzzz on February 2, 2007 12:34 PM

Where acn you buy 1????

Daggah on February 6, 2007 3:35 PM

I’m American, and in the USAF. You’re an idiot, MacVicta.I want one of these. :D

moomoo on February 12, 2007 11:55 PM

where can i buy it….?

Snake on February 21, 2007 10:05 AM

where can I order it and can it be sent to Holland ?? I hope it can…

Dorothy on April 14, 2007 6:00 AM

Where can I buy one in the China???

thorax on June 25, 2007 8:41 AM

well, I was trying to find one in Beijing and couldn’t. Now that I see these pictures (and the infamous ad) though, I can see that it is pretty thick and the plug for the headphones is too apparent, so it really won’t look that much like a jewelry accessory or dogtag. Plus, it would be better if you could get a custom plate instead of the company patterns. I would buy it and pay up to a hundred bucks if you could personalize the plate and if it was a little slimmer, with a more discreet plug. They should make one without SD and maybe reduce the memory to 256 MB so it would be slimmer and look more like a real dogtag, as more of a novelty. Its sound probably isn’t good enough for serious audiopholes anyway. As for the ad campaign, they screwed up. Not likely they intended to offend their customers.

hbj on May 5, 2009 3:05 PM

i hate this mp3

Pedro Rodriguez on April 28, 2010 7:06 AM

I wanna know where i can buy it.Do you know any shop at the internet?