Microsoft Zune AV Cable Pinouts

zune av cable main Microsoft Zune AV Cable Pinouts

Microsoft introduces yet another pinout configuration to the mix of portable media players. Unusual cable configurations usually mean the consumer is forced to buy “the official” manufacturers cable, but in this case the Zune AV cable has somewhat of a happy ending. The Archos, Gigabeat, Creative Zen Vision:M/W, Cowon iAudio, and Apple iBook AV cable all have the same pinout configurations so they are all interchangeable. Standard camcorder cables are a different configuration and the iPod video has yet another pinout configuration.

The good news for Zune owners is AV cables are similar enough to the a standard camcorder cable as well as the iPod video where as swapping cables will give you the correct connections. Check out the chart below to see what cables will work for each device.

The key to swapping connections is the ground. If the ground is the same no major modifications to the cable are needed, simply swapping the cable colors will do the trick.

av pinouts zune Microsoft Zune AV Cable Pinouts

Michael2k on November 27, 2006 12:41 AM

What I don’t understand, especially the given the strong anti-iPod sentiment that pervades this site, is that the Zune is no more or less than a Microsoft iPod.So should not this site be anti-Zune for all the same reasons that they are anti-iPod? Or is the Zune okay until it manages to snag 51% marketshare?

jelf on November 27, 2006 12:48 AM

i dont think you can really say anything since this site has not released a zune review yet…

Michael2k on November 27, 2006 5:49 PM

When was the last time the site announced rumors of colored iPods?Yet a few posts back there is a post about orange and pink Zunes.

Zeddicus Zu’l Zorander on November 27, 2006 11:33 PM

Hey Michael2k check this link out:www.anythingbutipod.com/archives/2005/01/about-anything-but-ipod.php(the “About” page of this site)It might help you understand why the site doesn’t talk about iPods, but still talks about the Zune.Although the Zune has been released by such a big company, many people still think their only option is the iPod.

cj on December 26, 2006 10:16 PM

zune kicks ass…..plain and simple….it offers everything ipod does…plus more….all you zune haters can kiss my ass!!

lara on December 28, 2006 12:51 PM

Zune sucks and the sales figures have backed that up.

end on December 31, 2006 7:04 PM

all ye idiots rant n rave ’bout these gadgets, while the big firms r havin gr8 fun at u’r expense. looooosers~

Ricky on January 4, 2007 5:26 PM

What kind of idiot goes to a zune video plug help page to bitch about the Zune? shows how smart you are..Oh, and This review helped me alot, I used the video plug from my camera for use on my zune, I had to do some work on the wires because my cord was like all the first devices on your chart, archos etc.Thanks alot Grahm Skee, now I can use my Zune with my TV!

Mike S. on January 17, 2007 1:06 AM

One of the things that I like about the Creative Zen V:M, is that the entire user interface is displayed on a remote screen when used with a multi-media cable. This is opposed to the iPod Video which only displays Video and Picture content and not UI elements.Does anyone know what the Zune is capable of displaying on remote screens? I would consider a Zune player, but only if the entire UI is displayed on a remote screen.The main reason I haven’t just gone with the Creative, is that I think the requirement to use a Docking craddle or port connector in order to send video output to a remote screen is rediculous. How much more would it have cost them to build in a 4 position 1/8th inch plug like the iPod or Zune.I understand that the Creative Zen Vision:W does not require a craddle or dock connector, but it is a significantly larger device to have to tote around, and I’m not sure I want something of that size.

Dave Spira on February 8, 2007 1:07 AM

The Zune is a runnaway success with smart people and the figures support that. Steve Jobs spews out information that is untrue and hyped so badly only an idiot would believe it. Same has he does for is computers.

Duncan Mackenzie on February 14, 2007 4:09 PM

Mike S. … the Zune displays the UI elements as well and shows album covers while music is playing … along with the obvious video and pictures.

corbenfrost on March 15, 2007 11:59 AM

Does the zune av cable work with the creative zen vision m? According to the pin configuration diagram, it doesn’t look like it will.

mitch on March 19, 2007 1:58 PM

All I Have to say is. I love my Zune…………take it how you want it!

c hike on April 15, 2007 11:31 PM

So did anyone try it? I just bought an ipod cable for my zune and it did not work.

g6672D on July 25, 2007 10:14 PM

That pinout listing saved me. Now I don’t have to import one of the Zune cables. I can just get an iPod version and swap the audio around.corbenfrost: Nope. The video will be going to ground and vice versa. Therefore, don’t try it. Rewire the 3.5 connector if you’re so inclined. Whether it’s worth saving a bit of money is another matter. :) I’m happy with the Halo 3 Zune I bought. It’s great at the basic stuff, especially video playback. However, some of its functionality is crippled (read:wireless) and the software is still pretty buggy. And in order to get full use of the Zune, you need to be something of a power user.It is an option to consider, but there’s probably better out there.

g6672D on July 25, 2007 10:24 PM

c hike: The iPod A/V cable should work with Zune. I just tried it with success. Just plug it in with the audio connectors reversed. And make sure TV Out is enabled in Settings->Display->TV Out and then make sure it set to NTSC/PAL according to what you use in your locale. Should work properly…

Kyle Curry on October 9, 2007 4:51 PM

This sizing is off when i plug into my tv i have tried all settings… HELP!

ernesto cruz on October 15, 2007 6:52 PM

yo compre un cable de video para mi zune de un ipod y no se como aserlo funcionar

Bob on December 5, 2007 6:30 PM

Thank you for the beautiful pinout diagram!Anyone know where the PSP falls on that chart or is Sony once again completely different from the rest of the IT world?

Todd Klindt on December 31, 2007 7:48 PM

The Best Buy Insignia Pilot series of PMPs use the Ipod Video cables. Could you add that to the diagram?Thanks,tk

Newbully on January 5, 2008 10:04 AM

I just got my 80G Zune last night. I added a DVD to it, riped 30 CD’s and sync’d that and podcasts from inside my car wirelessly. And Oh yeah, I can watch my music video’s on my 7 inch video displays in my car as well. I get the latest news podcasts as I roll out the garage. This thing is cool.

markrips on January 9, 2008 2:15 AM

sorry, I have own a 30 Z zune and a 40 G Arcos 504, and so far the 504 is way better. Most importantly the transfer speed, video quality, and codecs. Take it into consideration.

bevo on January 21, 2008 10:08 AM

You think the Zune is just a microsoft ipod well the small Ipod videos will at least work with a docking station the zune 4 or 8 won’t.

Matthew on January 28, 2008 12:01 AM

I have access to a large amount of audio-visual equipment where I work. I rounded up all the 3RCA to minijack cables I could find and tested them. Sure enough, 2 were minicam cables and I got them to work with my Zune 30. All the others were ordinary AV cables (Archos, Creative etc) and no way could they be made to work. I noticed the MINICAM CABLES HAVE SQUARED CORNERS ON THE MINIJACK base, while the AV cables were cylindrical at the base.Many portable DVD players use a AV cable for TV output, but one older model (Audiovox 1680) actually came with a Minicam type cable for TV out!

Zunespace on April 1, 2008 2:37 PM

Great article.

Will on June 13, 2008 2:44 PM

I’m hype on the subscription service. I have over 4000 ‘subscription’ songs on my Zune I can play at my discretion. Plus all the music I ‘own’, plus I have full access to the entire multi million song Zune libraty to play songs anytime I like from any computer I have the Zune software on. I couldn’t imagine paying $4000 dollars for all that music. iPod sux!!!

Andy on August 19, 2008 5:26 PM

FYI, your diagram for the iPod Video is incorrect; it’s wired like what you have listed for the Zune (you’ve got left and right swapped).–Andy (Broadway sound guy)

Casey on February 1, 2010 8:44 PM

How can I get my Zune to play with the Cinemin Swivel projector? Is it possible?