Details Emerge on Meizu M8 PMP

meizu m8 concept Details Emerge on Meizu M8 PMP

Way back in August, there was some speculation about a new Meizu player dubbed the M8 that supposedly ran a version of the Windows CE operating system on a 533MHz ARM11 processor. But when the rumor didn’t pick up any speed after that, we shelved it.

But now, five months later, guess who’s back. This time sporting a no-way-is-that-real iPhone look, the M8 is equipped with a 3.3-inch VGA display (720 x 480), 3-megapixel digital camera, A/V outputs, and a dock connector. Oh, and did we mention that it’s now a GSM and 3G cell phone? Riiiight.

The one bit that’s stuck, though, is the ARM11 processor and WinCE (identified as version 6.0). So even though we’re still filing this under “rumor” for the time being, we do believe that something unlike Meizu’s other players is afoot.

[Meizu forum (Chinese) via dapreview]

slaughterMYdaughter on January 30, 2007 1:45 AM

So is this like a mp3/palm pilot?

koptein on January 30, 2007 9:51 AM

more like an iPhone with umts support and a camera

Nodspy on January 30, 2007 10:09 AM

well its better than the iphone

oregon on January 30, 2007 3:09 PM

I doubt it’ll be better than the iPhone. I’m sure apple will include alot more minor feature than Meizu. And make the iPhone run flawlessly too. But it is similar, and probly alot cheaper.

ashxcoew on January 30, 2007 7:53 PM

Apple is not known for including more features than other players, and especially not for anything flawless. I wish Meizu would have been more creative in their design, but I think this could be a real contender if it is not just speculation.

ashxcore on January 30, 2007 7:54 PM

Erm…disregard that brutal misspelling.

oregon on January 30, 2007 9:41 PM

I guess their iPod’s don’t have many features, but I thought the whole concept of the iPhone is that it can do everything. And with all the hype surrounding it, and the huge budget, I’m sure it’s gonna be innovative, and very easy to use.

darkness on January 31, 2007 8:19 PM

OK how come apple does not sue them and only creative. Prejudice or wat they only see creative as a treat. Well if i was Steave Jobs i would ipod is so common and boring u cant walk on one street with out seeing someone without a ipod i will tell u it is boring if everyone has one

Nodspy on February 2, 2007 6:09 PM

amen

eddie on February 3, 2007 11:13 AM

in fact meizu has come up with the concept of m8 last year,early than iPhone was published.So we cannot leave out another possibility that Apple has copied Meizu with the help of commercial thief inside the Meizu company……haha……

Dave on February 3, 2007 6:21 PM

You people are funny……..Meizu is making a name for itself by copying Apple’s design. Meizu came up with the concept of a phone last year, great Apple claim they’ve been working on th iPhone 2.5 years.

ashxcore on February 8, 2007 9:55 PM

Apple claims a lot of things. I’m sure it claimed that the GUI patent was their own as well. [insert rolling-eye emoticon here]But the truth of the matter is that I couldn’t care less if they even implemented a slight modification of the trademark apple if it worked better than an actual Apple device.The Meizu M6 is a stellar flash DAP. I would buy one of my own if my music library didn’t require a hard drive-based player.Viva Meizu!Lastly, why should Apple sue anyone as regards to the iPhone? It borrowed from the GUI of several products. Ooooh, touchscreen. Pocket PCs and PDAs did it. Oooh corresponding icons for menu options. I don’t even know where to begin with this one… One can look at the Cowon A2 for an example of this, among many other devices. The design itself is quite similar to that of a tablet PC.

Stecarey on February 15, 2007 5:41 AM

It looks like a winner to me , lets hope this piece of kit retails in Europe sometime soon , the dimensions and features are dribble worthy.Smaller in the hand, and with a 3.2 mpx camera …oh hell yes baby

adman666 on February 20, 2007 1:44 AM

Yes, apple/jobs have never had an original idea. They stole the IPod from Creative and paid a handsome sum for it last year. And the Iphoney is just rich kid bling. If you actually what to do anything useful you won’t be doing it on an Iphone, or on any apple product for that matter.

JimJButtocks on March 28, 2008 11:15 PM

Yep. iPhone’s blow. A friend has one and speaking to him cell to cell is terrible most of the time. Plus, it’s only a matter of time before Jobs cans the idea and comes up the the next model and leaves his current customers hanging.