SanDisk Sansa Connect, View, and Express

sansa connect view express thumb SanDisk Sansa Connect, View, and Express

I had the pleasure of checking out three new players being added to the Sansa lineup. We knew about the two players from a leak on SanDisk’s site, but they did manage to keep one of their stars under wraps.

The Sansa Connect will be a flash-based player with WiFi and will retail for around $250. Initially, the player will sport 4GB of memory with the ability to add 2GB via microSD. The Connect is fairly slim and about the size of a business card. The 2.2” screen is similar to the e200, but looked a bit clearer. The scroll wheel is improved over the e200 and is very smooth and fluid.

Check out the video after the jump.

At the time of release there will be four main WiFi features. The primary use is wireless connection to music subscription services. But unlike the MusicGremlin, you will have a choice of providers. You will also be able to connect to Internet radio though Zing for free. WiFi is also planned to connect to Flickr to display your photos. Finally, you will be able to share… sorry, no files… just music file metadata. But this data will at least be tied in to a social network where you create buddy lists and join social groups that share your musical tastes.

SanDisk’s entrant into the video market, the Sansa View, will come equipped with a 4” screen, 8GB of memory, and a $300 price tag. Some people were worried that it would only play .mov files like the e200, but on the contrary the View will play back most of the popular formats, including WMV, MPEG4, AVI, and DiVX. The memory is also expandable, this time through a full-sized SD slot. Currently there are 4GB SD cards available, but 8GB will soon hit the shelves.

The last in the lineup is the Sansa Express. This player is really targeting the lower end of the DAP market. It will only come in 1GB and will retail for $60. It sports a 4-line OLED, FM radio, 15-hour battery life, voice recording, and a microSD slot.

Discuss these new devices in the SanDisk Sansa Forums

slaughterMYdaughter on January 8, 2007 8:07 PM

The sansa connect looks like a baby from the e200 and zen plus.

salty on January 8, 2007 8:37 PM

I wonder if 2007 be the year of wireless mp3 players…..whose next….batter up.

screw on January 8, 2007 9:42 PM

not long until ipod comes out wifi

Jimik on January 9, 2007 5:34 AM

The sansa view looks pretty good… I don’t know if 8gb is really enough memory for a full on media player though.The sansa connect isn’t nearly as good looking as the E200. A smoother scroll wheel would be nice though, as long as it’s still as precise as the E200′s wheel.

joe on January 9, 2007 7:30 AM

im gonna stick with the e280.

Jeff on January 9, 2007 10:48 AM

I could care less about the ‘not-so-smooth’ scroll of my e260…The player is great and I am happy I bought it.

Taylor on January 9, 2007 12:22 PM

I think WiFi could be a nice option if implemented correctly. Just being able to share info on what you listen to almost sounds more crippled than the Zune. If these companies really want to create a community, they shouldn’t be limited to only people who own the same DAP and should be open to users sharing music and video files. Look at how popular youtube has become. It would be wise to exploit this sort of feature.Although I’m sure Sandisk plans to increase the capacity of the Sansa Connect soon enough, you’d think that they’d start with an 8gb option, since the e200 series is already there. A 16gb option anyone?? Already available in some devices right? And lastly, why microSD? I understand the need to keep the player small for the masses and not to take up unnecessary room with memory slots, but come on. I for one would surely give up a few extra millimeters in depth or width just for the possibility of adding 4, 8, 16, etc gb at some point. Nevertheless, I’m sure the new players will be awesome, especially the Connect.Thanks Grahm for the detailed info and the video post!

Jason on January 9, 2007 6:35 PM

I know people would like to be able to share what they want over the Wi-Fi without limitations, but that just isn’t plausible given the legal issues that would be involved.

diggnation on January 9, 2007 8:22 PM

@Screwit already did

nodspy on January 9, 2007 10:01 PM

The view looks pretty sweet (i just got a 4gb iriver clix and am kind pissed at myself with the clix2 at ces) but i would buy the view for better video than the clix if the price was right say 200-300. View 8gb + 8gb sd = hellz yea

pramsey on January 11, 2007 6:50 PM

I wonder if anyone knows if these, esp. the WiFi or the View, is Audible compatible?The e200 series were not even though their older ones (m-series, c-series, etc.) were. When I contacted SanDisk, they told me that they weren’t going to make the e200 series Audible compatible via a firmware upgrade. Instead, they alluded to “new models” coming out that would address that. I can only assume they mean the ones at CES 2007.There are those who are interested in a high-end video MP3 player but still wants to be able to down load audiobooks. I have seen no press on the new models with regard to this– anyone know?

ASwfs sdsd on February 2, 2007 7:27 PM

god suck my dick

jazzleighe on February 13, 2007 12:43 PM

Is there any way to block messags by ASwfs?It is so disgusting to see foul language in a forum such as this. If we wanted to be subjected to obscenities, we’d be spending time in the gutter instead of at our computers.

Kevin K on March 14, 2007 10:48 PM

any one know when the sansa view is coming out in new york? im looking to compare my e280 to it.

jordan101 on March 19, 2007 7:22 PM

any1 know when the express is coming put in canada? ive checked several sites and i cant find it .

john on April 10, 2007 3:04 PM

just got the Express and am evaluating it right now. so far all i can say is it kicks ass. sound is very very good. screen, despite its size is incredibly sharp and one of the nicest i’ve ever seen. it definitely stomps the shuffle wrt feature set. FM radio sounds great. haven’t tried voice recorder yet, but no biggie in my case. don’t think it’ll take microsdhc cards, but yes u can add a 2GB card and yes those songs will be added to the onboard songlist. formfactor of the device is really nice. this is probably the nicest design when compared to the c200 or e200 concerning usability and screen.downside? have had to do a hard reset a couple of times and shuffle mode doesn’t really shuffle well but once firmware update is available it should fix the freezing issue and a 2 GB version woulda been nice. also a replaceable battery would be cool, but it has 2 screws allowing access so i guess u can open it up to replace it manually.

tiffany on April 15, 2007 4:35 AM

i am about to buy sansa express, does anyone know if the voice recorder is good?

Martin on April 20, 2007 9:18 PM

Does anyone know if the Sansa Express has a liquidmetal case-back?

nifelseki on April 22, 2007 12:52 AM

as far as i can tell it’s plastic.. it’s not so bad though..my only real complaint so far is that when playing a track which has a very long artist name, half of the first letter of the artist name gets cut off.. hopefully they’ll fix this in a firmware upgrade.. anybody know when that would be..?anyways, some other minor things would be that the lanyard and earphones that came with it are a bit longer..btw, have any of you guys tried to take the thing apart and see how the buttons were designed and if the battery is easy to replace..?

phoenix on May 9, 2007 11:45 PM

So how long will it take before the battery craps out? Will that be the end of the player or do you send it to sandisk or what? Is it better to leave it running until the battery dies then recharge it like lithium ion batteries?

RedBlue on June 5, 2007 7:30 PM

No dont let battery die out. Just recharge it whenever you can. By the way, does Sansa Express work on Macbooks?

etorfox1 on August 14, 2007 8:14 PM

I bought sansa express yesterday.I say it is really cool, but my express freezed.It freaks me out.I was just listening musics, and it stoped playing.So I looked to see what happened.There was nothing on the screen like it was turned off.I tried to turn it on and did everything I can, but it’s still freezed.What shoud I do?

dan on December 4, 2007 11:55 PM

i LOVE my e280…… but it seems as tho i have outgrown its capacity (8g) so this will be my up grade, i just wish they fukin came out wit black and red instead of blu all tha dam time… but anyway this thing should only come in 40 gig capacity and up