Cowon iAudio D2 Disassembled

cown d2 main Cowon iAudio D2 Disassembled

Cowon’s new portable media player, the D2, is a touch screen flash based player with a really great form factor. Along with Cowon’s usual great sound quality, the D2 sports a very impressive and rarely found feature of a 16.2 million color screen. But this isn’t a review, it is another guild to cracking open your precious gadget.

The disassembly is fairly easy if you are somewhat mechanically inclined. But the guide may not be useful as the battery looks to be custom and not user replaceable even if you can get into the player. Nonetheless, Cowon has pretty good customer service and will repair their devices at a reasonable cost. Really, this guide is just for the pr0n of it… enjoy…

Please be sure to check out the in depth iAudio D2 review for another candid look at this fine player.

iaudio d2 apart 1 thumb Cowon iAudio D2 Disassembled

iaudio d2 apart 2 thumb Cowon iAudio D2 Disassembled

iaudio d2 apart 3 thumb Cowon iAudio D2 Disassembled

iaudio d2 apart 4 thumb Cowon iAudio D2 Disassembled

iaudio d2 apart 5 thumb Cowon iAudio D2 Disassembled

iaudio d2 apart 6 thumb Cowon iAudio D2 Disassembled

iaudio d2 apart 7 thumb Cowon iAudio D2 Disassembled

rockin_amigo14 on February 15, 2007 3:18 PM

better yours than mine.

bria3 on February 15, 2007 5:07 PM

We need a review

EnzoTen on February 15, 2007 5:53 PM

coming right up…

Fine_cholo on February 16, 2007 12:30 AM

I know one great review by Koreanyou want me to translate?

sid32 on February 16, 2007 2:17 AM

Mike on February 16, 2007 4:58 AM

Hi,i have a question, i was thinking of a way to add memory to this player and also make it OTG-or-USB-HOST through SD card interface , is that possible, i am still thinking about it, anyone has any ideas ?i was thinking that it might be possible to get a USB (IN cable) from the SD expansion slot ( think about the SD memory cards that go directly into a USB port, same concept and similar interface, i am still working on it tho) the reason i haven’t bought the player yet is that i am waiting for the 4gb and as soon as i get it i will disassemble it no matter what the price is.IF ANYONE HAS SIMILAR IDEAS or have the same interest please contact me and let me know if you have any thought about this, because i really love this device but i have three problems with it( adding these three things will make it perfect):1-no TV recording (not very important to me)2-much bigger memory ( making it more than 20GB of FLASH MEMORY)3-OTG or USB host as this will help a lot with exchanging files with many devices.Thanks for the pictures by the way, i wish they were a little bigger so that i could look at the circuit closely.Mike

Dario on February 16, 2007 7:08 AM

hiin switzerland there ist a 4gb version of the D2 availablewww.priceshop.chdario

Lionheart on February 16, 2007 2:32 PM

darn it….we need a 4gb version here…

Arun Krishnan on February 17, 2007 6:56 AM

Mike – To make it work as a USB host device, you need the firmware to have drivers for generic storage devices. Not possible until someone develops a third party firmware (ala Rockbox) or hacks it.

dfkt on February 17, 2007 6:21 PM

There’s a Wolfson chip next to the Telechips SOC… very nice.

Mike on February 17, 2007 10:40 PM

well, true, but i was thinking of the dual (SD/USB) cards that they have out now so the interface of SD should be able to use the USB interface at the same time. so i am trying to make the USB interface from the SD expansion slot and not from the USB port of the mp3 player.take a look at this ,http://firewireshop.stores.yahoo.net/newusb11hosa.htmlwhat do you think, the same way you can copy files off the sd card i should be able to recognize other Fat32 storage units with a similar connection.

Mike on February 17, 2007 11:38 PM

also, look in the pictures in this site, the KET unit doesn’t exist in the pictures that are here. find it in the seventh picture, isn’t that interesting.

lollerbeans on February 19, 2007 11:31 PM

you spelled pr0n wrong.

ariel on March 14, 2007 10:04 PM

New D2 firware now supports SDHC. Largest currently available size is 8Gb, but it can support up to 32Gb I believe. What would be much better is user-installable codecs (mostly video), and the capacity to play video at > 320*240 res, so the TV out is more worthwhile.

raggles on April 3, 2007 6:37 AM

lollerbeans, No he didn’t….

Adam on April 4, 2007 11:16 PM

Doesn’t it bug anyone that the battery is hopelessly embedded? I want to be able to replace the battery myself, and I don’t want to spend more than $20 to do so. Unfortunately, this “replace the embedded battery for more than the cost of a new player” trend that drove so many away from Apple has infected most manufacturers now. They love the idea that the battery wears out. At least with an iPod, I can find replacement batteries and DIY websites. I would buy the iAudio D2 if it weren’t for the battery issue because I love its features, especially the Linux support.

Mike on April 23, 2007 9:00 PM

You probably won’t to replace the batter for 2-3 years at least at which time you would most likely be looking at buying a new mp3 player. The other thing is that i don’t believe that you can find a battery to replace the one that is built in. My last point is that it’s very very easy to open this player and change the batter if you were to find a replacement. Disassembling this unit takes me less than 3 minutes UNLIKE those stupid ipods.

Me on April 30, 2007 5:10 PM

Sorry for my ignorance, but which part is the battery? Is it the piece wrapped in gold foil?

Jeff on April 30, 2007 5:11 PM

I think it’s that black part with the white circle sticker on it.

Mike on May 1, 2007 10:06 PM

The batter is exactly the part that is wrapped in gold foil, it really uses all the space in the player so it’s a relatively very big battery compared to the size of the actual player , that’s why you can expect 50 hours of mp3 playback.

jesusthemazu(epizenter.net) on June 4, 2007 1:20 PM

there has to be a way to add more memeory. on the front of the player near the botton middle there is memory from samsung. on the back there is a big white spot of the same size that can be added more memory. there has to eb a way.

javier on June 6, 2008 4:40 PM

is a great Mp4 and her excellent imagen the cowon is a perfect portable for a travelpd: sorry for me english

phr on September 8, 2008 2:46 AM

Why would I be looking for a new player in 3 years for any reason other than that the stupid battery wore out? I’m looking to replace my Sansa M260 because its 4gb capacity is too limited, but if it had an SDHC slot I wouldn’t want to replace it, and it’s more than 3 years old. Heck, I still have my Sony TC-D5M cassette deck from the 1980′s. If the D2 ran on an AA cell I would never have any wish to replace it.

PGO on October 20, 2008 8:51 AM

hmm if you like a player on a AA cel then maybe you better put a cord on the TC-D5M deck.So you can carry the 1980′s deck with you wherever you go.Wouldnt that be great? That would surely impress people around you. And you wont need a Mp3 player at all, and still be cool like Retro-Cool. Dough maybe thats not a solution for most people around here.

Sasha on June 27, 2009 5:59 PM

Unfortunately, newest firware doesnt supports Fat32 SD cards. Fat16 – no_problem.

qdr on December 6, 2009 10:48 PM

Guys, please tell me, what’s the point of FLAC support on any portable device? This is bugging me for quite some time now, I mean, even an a desktop PC you ought to have an external audio card to notice the difference(or at least say you notice). How could FLAC possibly sound any better than MP3 on a portable device?И таки да, круто!