Panasonic D-Snap SV-SD850N

panasonic dsnap svsd850n Panasonic D Snap SV SD850N

Panasonic announced today the newest addition to its D-Snap line of SD/SDHC-based digital audio players. Unlike the MPEG4 camcorder D-Snaps from a few years ago, the new SV-SD850N offers little more than a 4-line OLED display, MP3/WMA/AAC support, FM tuner, and line-in recording packed into a casing reminiscent of but not as sleek as the Samsung K3.

Notable features of the player include a noise-cancellation feature that reportedly reduces ambient noise by 83% and an incredible 80-hour battery life with said feature disabled (a still-impressive 60 hours otherwise). A 1GB SD card and a decent-looking pair of canal phones will be bundled with the $168 SV-SD850 (available in white, black, red, blue, and brown) when it hits Japan on April 26th.

[Product Page | Press Release via AV Watch]

James Biehl on April 5, 2007 10:41 PM

crazy battery mang

Gus on April 7, 2007 12:03 AM

How…does the player itself cancel noise? I didn’t think the player had anything to do with ambient noise…

dune on April 8, 2007 7:49 PM

Apparently the player itself detect ambient noise and produce signals that phase out these noise thus achieving noise cancellation. There is a older model which does this via a external unit attachment.

-PL-mike on April 9, 2007 10:38 AM

The player looks really outdated, and the screen is really small. I saw live shots of it, its kinda thick aswell. The battery life is great, but the MP3 itself looks really cheap. I’ll pass. I want Samsung to release an HDD MP3 player.

david on April 17, 2007 1:50 PM

it looks pretty basic, like an ipod nano. hmm i wonder why?? well i guess the best thing i can say about it is that 83% noise cancellation is pretty impressive, and also the battery life. i would not get this myself though.. idk if its the color or what but its just not working for me

Brown on April 29, 2007 1:22 AM

What is this? A copy of K3?Matsushita (Panasonic) seems to go wrong away a bit.Japanese mp3 brands are nothing to be trusted

Well on June 29, 2007 5:50 PM

HolaAcabo de adquirir el sv-sd850n.El software y los manuales estan solo en japones; el programa sd-jukebox no se instala correctamente en W-XP.El sistema noise cancelling es totalmente inoperante. Un fiasco. No solo es incapaz de anular cualquier ruido de fondo, sino que ademas de consumir bateria, agrega un siseo molesto.Los auriculares son espectaculares, con un calce perfecto dentro del canal auditivo. Pero no entiendo porque uno de los cables es mucho mas largo que el otro, lo cual es incomodo.sucubuss@gmail.com

Zeph on July 21, 2007 9:46 AM

I bought one of this when I traveled to Japan, I have to say the quality of the sound is really good! Most people wonder how the player cancels the noise, the headphone that came with this player is not just any ordinary headphones you can buy in audio stores, it contains a microphone-like input, and it feeds to the player through a binary input. The player detects it, and does its job at canceling the noise. I work at a place where loud noise is always presence, and I can use this player and listen to music at a low volume, thus not straining my ears trying to cover the noise by adding even more stress of music on myself. (It is explained in the official Japanese web page for those who are interested and can read it)The battery life is great! The longest I’ve used this (normal usage, and I am a heavy music listener, not testing for how long it plays continuously) is over a month without having the need to charge but still have 2 of the 3 battery bars.About the question why the headphone is not the same length, it’s fairly simple (lots of headphones are made this way), it’s because you carry the player usually on one side of the body, and the shorter one is usually for your left ear while the longer one goes “around” your head and goes into your right ear.

Disgruntled on July 23, 2007 5:16 PM

I was given one as a gift and I can’t get the software to work. being as you cant drag software on to the sd card, you HAVE to use the software. Wrote to US support, no answer. Called and wrote to Japanese support and they simply claim it can’t be used unless you have a Japaneses operating system. not much good as an MP3 player so far…

Zeph on July 24, 2007 11:56 AM

I do not have a Japanese operating system, either. I use an English version of Windows XP, and I am able to use it (the softare is in Japanese). Well, mind that I am not able to read/understand any of the things due to the encoding (most come out like ?????), but the software itself should function without a problem.I played around with it for quite a while before I knew what each button is, once you were able to kind of “memorize” what each one is, there is no problem.

Miles on August 1, 2007 7:11 PM

My wife works for a Japanese company in California. She received one of theses from her employer. I can not get the software to work. a window appears and says that the pocedure entry point?InsertColumn@ClistWnd@@AEHHPAUHeaderinfo@@@Z could not be located in the dynamic link library ExCtrls.dll. Does anyone have a solution to this problem. I would really like to use this thing.

Larry on August 2, 2007 8:08 AM

I have same software issue alsosoftware shipped with this player will not work under the xp proany help will be greatthanks in advanceLarry

Daniel on August 3, 2007 4:57 PM

I cannot start software as well. If anyone could help, thanks a lot. Daniel

anton on August 9, 2007 7:50 AM

hi everybody!i’m use d-snap sv sd-300 per one year and have found next problems:1. transfering audio files only through of use Jukebox software with USB 1.1 is very slow :( 2. Jukebox software can’t transfer MP3 files bitrared as 320 kb/s, only 256 kb/s as maximum :( 3. Jukebox software convert any transfered file to another one readed only by d-snap :( 3. Jukebox software allows poor parameters for converting WAV files4. i can’t find good update of Jukebox software even use official web-site :( 5. there is no firmware updates :( But the sound is better and cleaner than i have ever heard. It is excellent!if anybody can help me, please use my e-mail

dimelot on August 20, 2007 6:19 PM

I have fixed the problem of the SD jukebox software given with the product and running with XP. It was impossible to me also to run the program under XP (message saying that a file is missing). So I have installed the version V4 of the software and it is in English! Obviously the version I have is a copy grabbed on Internet and given with the serial number. Try to search the web using Google with “SD Jukebox V4 download”. Now I can enjoy the player I just received today from Japan! Hope this thread will help.

shigzeo on August 21, 2007 4:43 AM

so this player has no possibility of running under osx or linux then eh?

Chas on August 23, 2007 10:18 AM

I have just bought SV-SD850N, the design is wonderful!But the Jukebox software together with the D-snap is in Japanese. Cound anyone help me, since my Windows doesn’t support Japanese software. ThanksBy the way, which colour of SD850N do all you get?

almi on September 2, 2007 6:02 AM

Is this player going to sell in Europe???

adamson nebrea on January 27, 2008 5:58 AM

ey sir..can u give me an answer please.. ihave a problem..i have a d-snap like this SV-SD850N.. i am lookoing for the driver on it which it can be use it in Windows 98..because my OS of my PC is windows 98..can u give me where i can find the specify driver on it?? tnx a lot.. ur psoive response is highly appreciated..

zvon on February 8, 2008 4:21 PM

There are Two solutions for software problem.If you dont own an earlier version of SD jukebox than do the following :1.Format SD card using a player.2.After that click to record via line in. Doesnt matter if you dont have any cabel, just record a second of silence.3. Put SD card into a normal universal card reader, and go to a last folder named ALBUM_01 that is located in LINE_REC folder. you will see that player made an mp3 file of that “silence” if you want, erase it.4. Simply drag and drop your MP3 files to that folder, it supports multiple folders and MP3 of any quality including 320kbps. But it doesnt support WMA (dont know if it supports AAC in this folder). to playback the files go to “LINE IN REC PLAY” on player.Sound is almost the same as SD audio, but the SD audio format is normalised and a bit louder than MP3 format.If you do own version5 of SD jukebox Do the following:1. Install SD jukebox version5 (dont know if version 4 or lower will be ok) and USB driver. (No need to restart the computer until the end of this procedure)2. After full installation of version5. Insert the disc that contains version 6.7 (one that came with the player) (DO NOT INSTALL THE PROGRAM!!! I couldn`t get my version5 reinstalled and working after installing v6.7, i had to format the system because it was popping out an error report which i couldnt repair!! so if you did that go to your friends computer). Open the v6.7 using: right-click on the drive with the SD6.7 and click open.3. Search for a file called “device.ini” it is located in: \SD-JukeboxV6\External\JPCopy the “device.ini” and replace it with one that is located in SD jukebox`s v5 installation folder on computer also called “device.ini” (its just like cracking a game)4. go to: “\SD-JukeboxV6\sd-d” and run the “setup.exe” file and install it.5. restart the computer, run the SD jukebox V5, and you will see that you can select a SV-SD850n device in options toolbar. And the program will detect player.It works out for me, and i use Windows XP pro service pack3, it will work on a normal professional XP. i am not sure about HOME edition and VISTA.

zvon on February 10, 2008 8:47 AM

One more correction.I managed to repair version 5 after installing version 6.7. apparently a program puts some files on your system drive in “COMMON FILES/PANASONIC”If you have some problems with instalation of version 5 or lower after the version 6.7. delete that folder and install the V5 again, and it sholud be ok.

velleri on March 6, 2008 5:07 PM

Does anyone know directory path, where Jukebox program stores MP3 files on SD-card?

Susan Johns on May 19, 2009 4:21 PM

can someone tell me where i can purchase one?

Allen on June 14, 2009 1:10 AM

for those who are interested in the product, go to yamato-touch.com. Or tokyoamusement.com.

Reggie on October 18, 2009 9:41 PM

Hey there everyone, I need to find a place where I can download an official version (That’s free!) I bought my D-snap SV-SD850N probably two and a half years ago, and my cd with the SD-Jukebox program was unfortunately stolen, so if anyone has help, or a link, email it to me at radnasticreggie@live.caThank you.