New Line of Insignia Players – Pilot & Sport

insignia sport New Line of Insignia Players   Pilot & Sport

It is nice to see Insignia giving their latest players a name, since previous names have been NS-DV and NS-DA. There is quite a little underground following of this budget “Best Buy brand”, with users being pretty happy with their purchase. Have a look at the NS-DV review. So the Sport and the Pilot may be good news to the Insignia Fans.

First off the Pilot is more of the PMP of the two, sporting a 2.4” screen with playback of WMA and MPEG4 at 30 frames per second. On the audio side it will support MP3, WMA, WMA Lossless, WMA DRM, WMA Pro, OGG, WAV, and Audible. Additionally it will support JPEG Photos. But that’s not all. The player also features, RDS (radio titles), SD slot, Bluetooth, and PC and Mac compatibility. Which I am taking to mean it will be MSC/MTP user or OS selectable.

insignia pilot New Line of Insignia Players   Pilot & Sport

The smaller sibling will feature most of the same but with a smaller 1.4” screen, lower 15 FPS, MPEG4 only, and microSD expansion.

The Sport will come in 2GB and 4GB sizes and sell for $100 and $120 respectively and the Pilot will come in 4GB and 8GB capacities retailing at $140 and $190. Insignia MP3 players are sold exclusively at Best Buy so they should be appearing at their B&M stores soon.

[Best Buy via Forums]

rockinamigo14 on September 4, 2007 9:35 PM

the pilot has SD or microSD?

EnzoTen on September 4, 2007 9:46 PM

Pilot has SD, Sport has microSD

Utew on September 4, 2007 10:51 PM

Bluetooth, UMS and SD.. nice!What the heck is *OFF*?? Unless that’s a typo.. if not, then it’s one I’ve never heard of..These little jewels are getting better all the time…..nice report Enzo, thx for the heads-up =)

Utew on September 4, 2007 11:24 PM

aha! ogg.. I see now.. too bad the only video codec supported seems to be WMV.. that is unfortunate.

Alex M on September 5, 2007 4:13 PM

bluetooth and sd is nice but the video on the smaller one isnt worth it with the 1.4″ for video. unfortunately the teens running into best buy this next month for the 3 new ipods will run past these and the newish zen players :( o well im satisfied with my zens

Sirocco on September 7, 2007 6:43 PM

At this point the only game in town is the iPod Touch, except maybe for those who require extreme portabilty. Although with the Cowon D2 and a few others on or just over the horizon, there will be some hard decisions to make.

Switch – UK on September 7, 2007 7:09 PM

Does anybody know about UK availability yet?

ashxcore on September 8, 2007 4:10 PM

The design and GUI are ass-fugly.Good thing they support a good number of audio codecs.Typo:”First off the Pilot is more of the PMP of the two, sporting a 2.4” screen with playback of WMA and MPEG4 at 30 frames per second”Correction: …playback of WMV…

anonamous on September 16, 2007 9:49 AM

I just got the pilot yesterday from Best Buy. By the way the GUI is beatuful (yipee!color background themes). Video looks great. Also, I tested the durability of it by dropping it 8 ft, sitting on it, standing on it, and putting water on the screen…. the player works perefectly.. very durable… also the dimensions are different freom BB website… its really 3.96×1.9x.4…. sound quality is amazing… although i cant figure out how 2 record from radio… can any1 help?

Tomtom on September 16, 2007 10:15 PM

I think…If you will press long the play button in center of the wheel, you can see the recording feature in radio screen.

D-Bass on September 23, 2007 10:20 AM

This player isn’t astectically the the most beautiful thing out there but for $140 it beats everything out there in its price range, plus, its in my pocket half the time so who cares.The Archsoft software it comes with easily converts DVD .vob files to .wmv so you can watch your DVDs in about 20 mins on your Pilot! One feature they failed to mention is that this this does full motion TV out!(YES,watch video/photos on your full size tv) Blutooth works nice and conected headphones sound beautiful.I fail to see the point of the propriatary star rating switch on the top, but i guess it was to transfer usage ratings to the Rhapsody serviced offered with the player, i just wish it could be used for volume control of something else usefull.

schnizerhowwer on October 10, 2007 7:07 PM

does this thing have a replaceable battery

3DFreek on October 26, 2007 7:44 AM

Yes it also has a replaceable battery.I use mine all day with bluetooth on a charge. It records radio and the radio is the best reciever I’ve had… better than the crippled (my opinion of the on I had) New Zen. I love being able to record comedy in the morning and listen to it or share it with others later.

James on October 30, 2007 2:14 AM

ok.. does this thing recharge from a wall??? Or do I have to connect it to a computer?? Also.. can I download songs from my computer & then get one from my brother if I so choose? Ipods won’t let you download any other songs except the ones on its HOME computer..

tk on October 31, 2007 3:30 PM

How’s the resolution support for the video out? What does it support? Can you store and play videos in higher resolution out of the video out like the Zune 2?

Paulm on December 7, 2007 10:53 AM

just got one.charges via usbplay xvid video encoded at 320×240. that’s the sample video included with the player.haven’t had any success with other formats tho.. still trying tho.video is nice.. 30fps is where it’s at.

Kristin- on December 10, 2007 11:52 AM

I have the 4gb pilot and it has froze on me twice. I can’t fix it unless i just wait for the battery to die and it shuts off on its own. any suggestions?? if anything i’d like to know how to pop the battey off easily so i can just cut of the power when this happens.

Jim on December 11, 2007 10:18 PM

I very recently bought the 8gb Pilot and returned it.The concept and idea for this player is fantastic; the execution, not so much.When you hold the player in your hand, it feels like you can snap it in half.The small port for the sd cards is difficult to open; when I first bought the Pilot I had to use first my thumbnail, then a pointy tack to pop the hatch open. The selector wheel is clunky as well. Why is there a need for tiny, pointy and uncomfortable little blue lights? It should have been lit from below or around the circle edge like the older sansa e200 series.The sound quality is average, about as good as an ipod, though not better. The GUI, features and SD card integration actually work pretty well, but the exterior fit and finish is what does this just OK player in.

TheLeafTalker on December 28, 2007 2:03 PM

I’ve owned a 8GB Pilot for two months now it’s a great little player. I bought a 8GB card for it a month ago and I have 2600+ songs on it. It’s frozen on me a multitude of times but since it isn’t reoccurring more and more I know it’s fixable so I’m waiting for the firmware release.

philips family on December 28, 2007 10:16 PM

does anyone know how to upload the xvid codec? all the videos that i have are in that format and the player will not play them. They are all avi files and i had to download the codec so my computer will play them. I bought this for my 14 y/o son and we both love it, i just want it to play the videos so he will leave me alone for a while=)

philips family on December 28, 2007 10:18 PM

does anyone know how to upload the xvid codec? all the videos that i have are in that format and the player will not play them. They are all avi files and i had to download the codec so my computer will play them. I bought this for my 14 y/o son and we both love it, i just want it to play the videos so he will leave me alone for a while.

kwaks on January 11, 2008 9:52 PM

for Kristin, if it froze and you wantto turn it off, just press the power button to the left and hold it for about 10 second

christian flores on January 12, 2008 9:37 PM

how do you download videos into your insignia

Jodi on January 14, 2008 12:46 AM

Just bought my Pilot 8GB and the first thing I had to do was look for a site to figure out what to do when it froze up.So is there really going to be a firmware update to fix this type of error or am I getting something I don’t want to deal with? Never owned an mp3 player before so I hope I picked a decent one to start with.

Freddy on January 18, 2008 12:33 AM

My 8gb pilot plays my converted mpg and avi files just fine. The video converter that comes with it works flawlessly. I have never had any lockups so far (approx 4 weeks) I have shown this to friends and they absolutely love it, and will probably make the same choice I did over all others I have reviewed. I bought the bluetooth headset which came with a wall charger that can charge the headset or the pilot. Now I can charge from the wall or the computers usb port. Awesome !

pilotere on January 18, 2008 4:58 PM

I have had the pilot for several weeks now and have been impressed overall. So many people complain about the sound quality, but why would you get this player if you are not going to use bluetooth? I have a pair of Motorola S9 which, by the way, work great with it. They also sound good, are very light, and come with a charger that can be used to charge the headphones and player. (Motorola just came out with a new pair of S9s that use SRS WOW for you audiophiles) The SD slot is SDHC for those of you who don’t know – that means eventually up to 40GB flash memory, 20GB now with sandisk’s new 12GB micro card and a converter. My has frozen several times, but it is no big deal, you just hold the power button for about 15 seconds, it turns off, and when you turn it back on, it works fine. My only complaint is the menu system, it is not easy to find and play a particular song unless you scoll through you whole list or use the folder browser. Videos and photos look fine. Does anyone know how to change the background or startup screen? Oh, by the way, the price is now $159.99

ultramegabob on January 27, 2008 8:52 AM

I bought 2 sports for my kids, we are very happy with them so far, I am thinking about gettin a pilot for myself, does anyone know if they both use the same software?

Cpl.Puddicombe USMC on February 4, 2008 6:30 PM

How to fix a frozen Insignia quick!Hay, I got the Insignia Pilot 8Gb for Iraq, Its awsome. If it freezes, Which it has a few times, Dont worry or disconect the battery. I flipped out when I thought my only source of music had died…Just hold the off switch in the off possition for like a minute and it fixes automaticaly. Its fixed it every time for me. hope it works for you!

RWT on February 7, 2008 3:29 PM

I have noticed that the internal storage seems to be either 8GB, or 2000 songs – whichever comes first. Every time I hit the 2000 song mark, I’m unable to add anymore. I’ve added an additonal SD card to handle the overflow, but it bothers me that there’s still space left on the player that I can’t make the most of. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, please let me know if you’ve found a way around that. When I hit the 2000 mark, I still had a few hundred MB of space left! All the songs are ripped and saved at 128kps.

Providian623 on February 16, 2008 9:37 PM

I’ve had my Insignia 4g Pilot about a month now. Absolutely love it. The FM Radio puts out the best sound of any mp3 player/FM tuner I’ve ever owned. I’m using Bose ear buds with it or when I’m in the car just play it thru the cassette deck with an adapter. Sound is awesome. I to have had some, but not a lot, of freezing. I just cycle it off and back on. Hope there is a firmware upgrade soon to take care of this. I also added at 20g SDHC card to mine and it works without a problem. The software converts my videos just fine.

Newbie on February 28, 2008 10:42 PM

What program can I use to rip my dvd movie so I can get it onto the player? The Arcsoft program chokes trying to convert a vob file on my movies.

Gadgetman on March 2, 2008 10:27 AM

I have had my Pilot for a month or two now and really enjoy it. I bought it to use with my Moto Bluetooth headset and it works flawlessly. My only expirience with freezing is when I put photoes in it that were not the correct formet (I guess). Since deleting the photoes, I get no more freezing. I woudl assume an incorrect video format would do the same (maybe audio as weel?). The mini USB port is great becasue my cell, bluetooth headset and Pilot all charge with the same car/home chargers. A real plus!

Maniunchik on March 9, 2008 5:12 PM

I have Insagnia NS-DV4Gb. Today I got some more music and videos uploaded on it. But when I got it disconnected from the PC and the player began to build its library I got it stuck with this message “Build Library .. 155″ on. It is practically frozen. I tried to connect it to the PC but the message does not go away and so the PC can’t see the player.I tried to take the battery out but it seems to be stuck there or something.Please help me out!!!!PS and no, holding the switch off button for a minute or two doesn’t do anything. :-(

pctechguy on March 11, 2008 11:54 PM

when are they going to release new firmware updates for the Pilot? The latest so far is 1.006 or something. there’s too many freezes, avi problems, and etc. I mean, a video’s already in avi format, but still, the pilot’s unable to play it, and we have to convert it thru its Media Converter 2. I believe this BestBuy brand is going obsolete soon. But still, they do need to update the firmware..

imjustapyro on March 23, 2008 2:22 PM

is it possiable to transfer sons to and from your sport player via bluetooth from your computer?

Jessica on March 31, 2008 10:27 PM

Okay lol i wish I knew what anyone was talking about it is like i a different language. After losing my ipod which tok my 14 yr old niece to teach me i wanted a fm radio so i Bought the insignia pilot. If I could figure it out it would be lovely! I dont know what SD or MIcro SD or UMS is. I am frustrated ilove the radio and I accidentally leanred how to record the radio which is awesome. Whats a PMP lmao is there a place i can go to understand all this? And A blue tooth i thought that was for a cell phone! help i am an idiot!

Nilly on April 27, 2008 8:43 PM

The entire Insignia line of mp3 players are being revamped, upgraded, all new firmware, for the summer of 2008. An insider told me that the new players will be COMPLETELY Itunes compatible, right down to being able to sync with your playlists!!! No more stupid Rhapsody, which is used by maybe .000000000000000000000001% of the world.The insider said that Best Buy has struck a deal with Apple to become the first Non-Ipod mp3 player to be able to utilize Itunes fully!I can’t wait, since the previous version of this player sucked more than a blackhole at a fireworks show!Comon Insignia, show us a better product already!!!!!!!!!

jen on May 20, 2008 12:53 AM

hey i got the insignia pilot 8g i want to know more about the firmware updates and where to get them and is their any updates for this model yet!

jen on May 20, 2008 12:54 AM

jen on May 20, 2008 12:55 AM

Victoria on May 28, 2008 12:15 AM

Where can I find a wall charger or car charger that is works with the pilot?

Bill on May 29, 2008 7:13 PM

Victoria, the guy at Best Buy told me you can use a Motorola Razr wall charger.What’s everybody using to sync their media? I’m using WMP currently, but I’d rahter you something else, and not Rhapsody.

RWT on May 31, 2008 4:20 AM

Here’s a link to the Fry’s website – they have a USB wall/car charger that should work for the Insignia Pilot. It’s only $9.99.http://shop4.frys.com/product/5186966;jsessionid=9Qp8ENfqTaX-1laflRfQGw**.node2?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

KZS on June 7, 2008 12:16 AM

i got my mp3 insignia a few days ago. i want to know how u can download videos? thanx

Clair on June 14, 2008 9:22 PM

I have an insignia pilot 8 gb I bought on ebay without a battery. What battery does it take? I have looked at the book and it does not state any of the specs or type. Best Buy wants $41 and that is rediculous.

q.majel on October 8, 2008 1:43 PM

Hold the power slider for ten seconds if it freezes

Maria on February 22, 2009 6:31 PM

I love the pilot, I’ve had it for 6 months now. I was looking for something cheaper than a iPod, small, with a screen, sturdy and with external storage. This thing is wonderful once you get past the quirks.I have not had it freeze on me BUT i have had the screen go all pixelated and unresponsive when it’s in key lock mode. The music keeps playing but the screen and UI become unresponsive.I hold the power button for 10+ seconds and turn it back on and it resumes playing from the same file it was on. This doesn’t happen too often and i hope a firmware upgrade will fix it.Otherwise the radio reception is outstanding and there’s line in and tv-out.I’m just a bit annoyed at the limited video file type support. It’s not fun to have to convert from my avi’s (seems they use a very specific codec) to something that’s supported by the Pilot.

randy sybert on April 15, 2009 9:18 AM

does any one know how to playback the recorded radio on the sport? how can you even tell if it is recording? if you have a solution email me. or post a comment, if i see it and dont forget.