SanDisk's New View of the Sansa View.

sandisk sansa view SanDisk's New View of the Sansa View.

The new look for the Sansa View is a bit of a stretch from the original 4″ PMP design shown off at last year’s CES. It may disappoint Sansa fans that are looking for a large screened PMP, but it will definitely appease the e200 owners looking for an upgrade.

The new View will show off a 2.4″ 320×240 pixel screen and support WMV, MPEG, h.264, and DivX video file types. On the audio side there will only be support for the basics, MP3, WAV, Audible and WMA. The player will also show off a pretty impressive 35 hours of batter life for audio and 7 hours for video.

The View will be available this fall in 8GB and 16GB sizes retailing for $150 and $200 respectively. A microSD slot will grace the side that will allow you to upgrade to a current 8GB of memory and up to 32GB in the future as these capacities are released in microSD format.

More pictures follow.

[Press Release]

sansa view triple wear buds thumb 150x112 SanDisk's New View of the Sansa View.sansa view with card thumb 150x119 SanDisk's New View of the Sansa View.sansa view pencil in middle thumb 150x305 SanDisk's New View of the Sansa View.sansa view tri view and pencil thumb 150x213 SanDisk's New View of the Sansa View.sansa view left tilt thumb 150x215 SanDisk's New View of the Sansa View.

WyldWoods on September 10, 2007 11:11 AM

I was looking forward to the original, but I think I’ll be very happy with this version.Any word on whether it will support video out to a TV?

Woody on September 10, 2007 12:17 PM

With a working E280 and me wanting to get a Sprint Touch in Nov. There is no way my wife will elt me get this. :( Maybe I can sell my E280. :)

Jack4L on September 10, 2007 1:28 PM

Oh no, looks like there going to throw away there tactile controls >_

grandman878 on September 10, 2007 3:56 PM

This really looks like a nano thoug but i would still get it.

Javier78 on September 10, 2007 4:10 PM

My sansa e270 is less than a year old, and it’s working fine, but I REALLY WANT THIS.:(

Phoenix-X on September 10, 2007 4:20 PM

wow i might get this instead of the P2 for the price i’m just in awe and it looks soo cool. man 16gb for $200!!!!!!!i cant believe it more reason to get it.:D

Alex M on September 10, 2007 7:57 PM

grandman…no it doesn’t the new nano is a frickin square…and when they say in the commercial a little video…come on. 2″ screen. LITTLE video! i have a 4.3″ screen on my zvw which is good.but i like this but i got my zen v. but the battery life on this is really good and thats the only thing i dont like about my zen v because it gets WELL under the suggested 15 :(

Alex M on September 10, 2007 7:58 PM

only problem is that theres so many 30+hour audio players out there. and i dont bring my zvw with me but i do with my zen v

Marc on September 10, 2007 8:05 PM

Yeah – I was bummed when the Nano went ‘stubby/wide’ – This ‘new’ Sansa View has all I really need – Slender form, a MicroSD slot (yes!) and video capabilities (AAC audio?). I, too, want to know about any ‘video-out’ possibilities and its overall outside dimensions. Also, can you watch the videos on it by holding it sideways (for widescreen-like viewing)?

Mark on September 10, 2007 10:40 PM

16MB for $200? With support for high-density microSD? I’m just about sold (and I own a perfectly fine e280…)The classic blue wheel appears to have been changed so that you grab it by its (newly)-textured center, rather than having the wheel protrude upward from the player. A wise choice, I think.My only gripe: it should support a decent lossless-compressed format, preferably FLAC. Or at least lossless WMA. Is WAV a step in the right direction? More like falling backwards a few years. (OTOH, maybe some of these kinds of issues can be handled with firmware upgrades.)Looks as if they realized it’s not a good idea for the home/menu button to be the same as the power button…

Sarah on September 11, 2007 5:53 AM

When will be the new Sansa released in Europ? I have e280 and it works good but i want the new one its so cute.

Chase on September 11, 2007 12:10 PM

This looks really nice! I used to own an e200 which I ended up being slightly dissappointed by because it didn’t feel as sturdy as I hoped and because every time you booted it up with a microSD card in the side, it had to re-build the library (very time consuming start-up, which in my opinion made the expansion slot a little impractical)…if this issue has been resolved somehow, I would definitely be interested in this player (the idea of 32GB of flash memory is very appealing!).

Phoenix-X on September 11, 2007 4:42 PM

Mark first it’s 16GB not mb and second the sd card is high capacity not density.

M4R10 on September 12, 2007 9:30 AM

Any word on when its hitting the stores? I want to get it at amazon.

anonamous on September 13, 2007 12:15 PM

Anyone know if the sansa view has a user replaceble battery… If it does, Im sold… Thats the main reason why I loved the e280 and why I like sandisk products over any other mp3 player. If they got rid of it, I probably wouldnt buy the view….

Saturn on September 14, 2007 1:09 AM

I’m down for a View as long as I can still use the docks and cables that I have now for my e200s. I’ve got two iM510 speaker docks and two of the Griffin powerdocks. If the View can use those, great. If not, I’ll drive my e200s til the chips burn out.You’d think Sandisk would introduce at least a few color options as well. Or at least a customizable screen background. That Sansa sky blue does tiresome.

radiotone on September 14, 2007 2:50 PM

“Anyone know if the sansa view has a user replaceble battery… If it does, Im sold…”The press release (specifically, footnote 5) says “…battery not replaceable.”Jeez. There’s always a compromise with either a) batteries, b) transfer software / tagging, or c) music formats (or all three, if you’re Apple!).I can accept that I won’t get all the storage I want for the price I’m willing to pay, but I hate that so many players have some anti-consumer / control freak aspect to them.It’s like…they want us to replace them every two years or something!

OMRomero on September 15, 2007 11:19 AM

What is the FPS for video?

anonamous on September 15, 2007 11:51 AM

30 for WMV and MPEG4

joey on September 16, 2007 12:56 PM

I agree about the battery…do you know if the usb is proprietary? I thought that I read it was?joey

andre on September 17, 2007 10:45 PM

omg! still no true divx support. sandisk can go kick rocks…

J-Man on September 18, 2007 3:21 PM

I’m a bit disappointed by the non-replacable battery as well. I have the first-gen iPod nano and the battery just keeps getting crappier and crappier. I would replace it a heart-beat, but Apple’s damn battery replacement service cost a lot (at least for me) and there’s NO way I’m going to actually wait for my product to be sent, refurbished, and returned. That’s BS.That’s why I’m going to choose a new mp3 player between the Insignia Pilot, iRiver x20, and the Sansa e200. (Off topic) Anyone have any recommendations?

Martin on September 19, 2007 7:39 AM

You forgot to mention GAPLESS PLAYBACK! :) I am so buying this. :P

gary preview page 2 on September 25, 2007 10:38 PM

i wrote them with a couple questions we all have. here’s what i found out…it’ll be on store shelves on October 23rd.it will NOT have a tv out.all avi and divx files will have to be converted before adding.

gary preview page 2 on September 25, 2007 10:38 PM

alfmeister on September 27, 2007 7:18 AM

The e280 is still the best because it has a replaceable battery and msc support. With the current prices of just over $100 the e280 offers more music per dollar than any other player.

alfmeister on September 27, 2007 7:19 AM

schnizerhowwer on October 2, 2007 1:59 AM

God I want this so badly!!!!!!!!I wonder how much it costs to replace the battery…

Phil on October 2, 2007 11:58 AM

I want it now too! Any word on when it will be out. Pleeeeze!!

schnizerhowwer on October 2, 2007 10:29 PM

on October 23rd like gary said

juke on October 5, 2007 11:13 PM

I asked the customer service guys some more simple questions, about battery replacement, and they told me that the battery cannot be replaced without breaking the player, so its one time battery life for 1 year after which you can throw it out if the battery stops.Hello Customer,Thank you for contacting SanDisk Technical Support.It is impossible to remove the battery from the view without destroying the player.And we do not have a service center but all of our devices purchased new have a one year warranty if the player stops working we will replace it.Sincerely,Robert J.SanDisk Technical Supportwell those who plan to buy this good luck…I feel its top brand, but battery cannot be changed then its glory till it burns out.

juke on October 5, 2007 11:13 PM

juke on October 5, 2007 11:13 PM

chasoscar on October 6, 2007 10:22 AM

Non replaceable battery……. that’s a deal killer for me, especially since it is a feature that was available in earlier models that has been removed for no other reason than to deliberately shorten the device’s potential lifespan. Seems like manufacturers make it a point to create cool products to gain market share, then R&D goes to work trying to figure out how the shorten the product’s life to force customers to re-purchase. I dont have anything against making an honest buck, but there was a time(and I know most of you were not around) when it was a point of pride that products were designed intentionally for durability and longevity. It is a shame that pride in quality is something we can not only no longer count on, but are unable to find. Now it is all about money, and a loss of our basic moral values. Just my 2cents worth.

Pat Kittle on October 7, 2007 8:20 PM

No replaceable battery, no deal. Too bad, nice in every other respect.

wasgonnabuyview on October 7, 2007 10:42 PM

No Replaceable battery is a deal killer for me. too bad sandisk could of had my $200 bucks easily if they could of just added a battery replacement feature…..

schnizerhowwer on October 10, 2007 6:16 PM

wow, you can’t do anything to replace the battery well that sucks ima not buy it

cwm on October 16, 2007 1:06 AM

The release date on the Sansa View may have slipped.amazon.com had been taking orders, with an estimated “delivery time” of 3 to 4 weeks.Now they don’t even take pre-orders, and no estimate of the release date is shown.Also, amazon’s listing no longer gives details on the View’s look and features; this section of the page has been replaced with info more appropriate to the e200 series.The disappearance of View-specific specs makes me wonder whether Sansa might be embarking upon a major redesign.

James Nabholz on October 16, 2007 4:06 PM

The Sansa View, according to Amazon.com will be out October 31st.I can’t wait.

JBL on October 20, 2007 7:44 PM

Don’t let the non-replacable battery be a deal killer — by the time the battery wears out, there will be some new mp3 player out that blows this one away, and you won’t be able to resist it. That’s what happened with the last 3 mp3 players I’ve bought that are still working just fine. I’ll be getting this knowing that I can hand it down to my kids when something better comes along.

Mike on October 22, 2007 7:17 PM

This looks awesome, except for the battery

Steven on October 28, 2007 5:19 PM

i got the e280 on release in the uk and i use it for school everyday (yea in the lessons aswell they get boaring) and my batry is still fine nvr replased it doesn’t last as long as when brought but it had a huge starting baterylife like this new one

schnizerhowwer on October 28, 2007 6:28 PM

now amazon says it’ll release on december 1st…

mIKE on October 29, 2007 4:03 PM

Well, I don’t really want it anymore…according to CNET, the sound quality ain’t too hot. I have a t9 at the moment; I definitely don’t want to downgrade sound quality. I was so excited about it, the price and the memory, but the never-replaceable battery and sound quality have gotten me to wait for the Samsung yp-s5.

Ju on November 12, 2007 10:34 AM

Does anyone know if you can add a song (or an album) to the ongoing playlist?

Ju on November 12, 2007 10:35 AM

Does anyone know if you can add a song (or an album) to the ongoing playlist?

Jason on November 21, 2007 12:09 PM

Does this work with all of Rhapsody’s features like Rhapsody Channels like e200r series does? I think I may just stick with my e260r and just keep upgrading the microSD cards as they come out with more memory. If the sound quality hasn’t been improved much I don’t see what all the hubbub about getting one of these is. Plus I can replace my current one’s battery.

Felix on November 28, 2007 10:53 AM

Just ordered it from Amazon. 16GB version (of course). FOR ONLY 175 USD!! :D Ships on Dec. 1st. Can’t wait to play. Glad I’m still able to avoid becoming an iClone (or an iDiot for that matter ;) .

e280R fan on January 8, 2008 3:04 PM

I think I’ll just stay with my 280R at least I can change the battery and the sound is pretty decent.

Jacob on June 10, 2008 8:06 PM

You can look up on the internet how to open it and change the battery. Just like how the iPod said you couldn’t, you actually can. it’s just a gimmick so that you end up throwing it away. Bot DON’T. You can find replacement batteries online as well.i just bought 1 of these yesterday. I hope they have fixed bugs since all of you in 2007.

e280R Fan (differnt one) on August 15, 2008 4:56 PM

I had an e280R, awesome, except the headphone jack went bad.This Sansa view has a wierd ‘off’ switch, it’s bigger, doesn’t come with the suede protective pouch, doesn’t have FM. But it does have a micro expansion SD slot and it works with Windows Media player now.I miss my old e280R.