SanDisk Sansa View Has Video Out

sansa view video out main SanDisk Sansa View Has Video Out

As of now, I don’t think it is documented that the View has the ability to output video to your TV. But as I was poking around in the options I found settings for NTSC and PAL TV out specs. So I grabbed the soldering iron and a few old cables and started hacking away. Making a video cable was fairly easy with a soldering iron and some patience.

Unlike many other MP3 players, the video out is contained in the dock of the View. Other players usually use a 4-pin A/V jack that plugs into the headphone jack (Zen Vision:M & Zune). I was able to find the video and two audio channels which are true line out. We are in the process of finding out what all of the rest of the dock pins do in this hardware hack forum thread. A list of pins can be found there.

Video out looked really nice on the TV and even fast forwarded nicely as you can see in the video below. Navigation is not show on the screen and will only show video or photo slideshows when played.

Check below for photos and video.

sansa view video out 1 thumb 150x112 SanDisk Sansa View Has Video Outsansa view video out 2 thumb 150x112 SanDisk Sansa View Has Video Outsansa view video out 3 thumb 150x112 SanDisk Sansa View Has Video Outsansa view video out 4 thumb 150x112 SanDisk Sansa View Has Video Outsansa view video out 5 thumb 150x112 SanDisk Sansa View Has Video Outsansa view video out 6 thumb 150x112 SanDisk Sansa View Has Video Outsansa view video out 7 thumb 150x112 SanDisk Sansa View Has Video Outsansa view video out 8 thumb 150x112 SanDisk Sansa View Has Video Out

krazeegloo on October 31, 2007 11:50 AM

This absolutely rocks.. I emailed tech support about the video out option back in sept and they replied back saying there wasn’t a video out option.. guess they did it to surprise us with it.

tk on October 31, 2007 3:24 PM

How’s the resolution support for the video out? Can you store and play videos in higher resolution out of the video out like the Zune 2?

JD on October 31, 2007 5:33 PM

Can you use this same hack with the e200 series?

EnzoTen on October 31, 2007 10:38 PM

The e200 doesn’t have the necessary hardware to output video.

jesusthemazu on November 1, 2007 2:47 PM

i hate to say it but the ZVM doesnt only do headphone jack.that means, not through headphone jack on player but yes through sync a-dap.also, it can use a cable jsut like what you are doing with the View.

jay on November 1, 2007 9:49 PM

It’s great to see info about the video output, but I’m wondering if there are any reviews yet of the View as a whole? I haven’t found one.

EnzoTen on November 1, 2007 11:58 PM

I am waiting a bit to see what happens with the video out situation and the firmware gets a bit more settled. I am writing parts of the review at the moment.

juke on November 2, 2007 7:49 PM

asked the customer service guys some more simple questions, about battery replacement, and they told me that the battery cannot be replaced without breaking the player, so its one time battery life for 1 year after which you can throw it out if the battery stops.Hello Customer,Thank you for contacting SanDisk Technical Support.It is impossible to remove the battery from the view without destroying the player.And we do not have a service center but all of our devices purchased new have a one year warranty if the player stops working we will replace it.Sincerely,Robert J.SanDisk Technical Supportwell those who plan to buy this good luck…I feel its top brand, but battery cannot be changed then its glory till it burns out.

Anonymous on November 9, 2007 2:10 AM

Does anyone know if this player has unicode support?

Humberto on November 29, 2007 7:52 PM

Great product whithout a review ?Is there a prevision of a review ?

martin on December 3, 2007 5:48 AM

does anybody know if there meanwhile is an official solution to use the video out “function”? maybe not from sandisk itself?

Tremayne on December 12, 2007 3:54 PM

It should have the video out because if it didnt, it wouldnt have the NTSC and PAL functions, or the slide that was shown on the View’s screen at the time.

Melanie on January 22, 2008 6:46 PM

Here’s a link to the TV cables for those people who would rather not build one.http://www.daydeal.com/product.php?productid=19284Also, I would like to see Unbox and Overdrive as a categories on the comparison page

Jesper on June 23, 2008 7:36 PM

I love this about sandisk players.I had an older one without radio, but it turned out that since it was sold in some places with radio, it actually did contain the radio, and it was only a matter of installing another firmware with a little trick.I guess they just make one player, put different firmware and sell them as different models. It’s probably cheaper that way, than to acutally build different models.

sl on August 7, 2008 8:14 AM

That’s some crappy soldering!You need a smaller tip for that iron.

Martin on November 28, 2008 12:15 PM

My profuse thanks to Melanie — got my Sansa View AV connector on daydeal.com, and it works great — even fairly good vid quality on our big-screen TV. This is going to be major when I go on road trips for work — most of the hotels/motels have component inputs now.

Andrew on January 20, 2009 6:34 PM

There are cables that accomplish this. I bought one on eBay for around $6 that does video and left/right audio.

clepies on February 24, 2009 11:26 AM

what about video in????

Roger on April 11, 2009 12:01 PM

I am glad I visited this site (1st time). I was getting ready to purchase the 32 Gig View but I had no idea that the battery life could be as little as 1 yr. and not replacable. No thanks.Thanks for the helpful info.

Brian on May 11, 2009 4:44 PM

Im here looking for battery info because my daughters 16gb view has a bad battery. Her’s is 2 months short of a year… I have had great luck with earlier sansa models but this sucks. If any one finds a source for a replacement battery, please post it.

fabiano on August 16, 2009 3:00 PM

this work it on sansa fuze??

Alexandre Bastien on September 23, 2009 10:40 PM

I tried a commercial connector (http://www.daydeal.com/product.php?productid=19284&cat=2718) and it worked but the image is fuzzy and only in black and white. It is not usable this way. I opened the connector to check that everything’s ok. And it was. Pin 14 for video and 27-28 for sound. I also check the NTSC/PAL setting. Yes my tv is on the right channel. And yes the TV-out mode is enabled. I also tried 3 different firmware (1.03.?, 1.02.9, 1.01.6). It’s almost like the color signal was not strong enough to get to the TV. Is it possible?

wperry1 on September 25, 2009 1:48 PM

I have 4 Sansa players so I had an extra USB cable laying around to try this with. I opened the connector and clipped the end off of an A/V cable that I had laying around soldered them on w/out removing the USB cable. I can now charge/sync and play through the TV at the same time. This rocks!

eljonny on January 22, 2010 6:51 PM

It is possible to replace the battery. Here is the thread where I posted instructions.http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34095It is moderately difficult but anyone with even average technical experience and steady hands would be able to do it. There is only one single seller that I found across the internet that sells the batteries, on ebay of course haha, and I ordered one. I just got it today and installed it and my view turns on, charges, and connects! Gotta love taking stuff apart and doing something the manufacturer says can’t be done hehehe =P