Bluffing For Information: Creative’s New Hard Drive Player

fake creative zen Bluffing For Information: Creative’s New Hard Drive Player

While at the Creative booth I asked a few of the reps if there were any plans for a successor to the Zen Vision:M, but they were tight lipped. One after another they brushed me off and gave me no information. I then changed gears telling them I knew about the new hard drive based Zen and instead asked when they would be announcing it. The first rep was obviously coy and said I know more than he does. Another one of the other reps smiled and became a bit uncomfortable. You could see how bad he wanted to talk about it. The body language was there indicating that Creative has something up their sleeve. Take it for what it is but I am fairly certain they are hiding something. But then again it could have been that I was bluffed right back.

Lawrence on January 13, 2008 12:08 AM

i read somewhere claiming creative said they’re working on some touch screen x-fi product to battle the iPod touch.. seems like its still under development if anything

Cptnodegard on January 13, 2008 11:01 AM

I think the HDD age is over for good, unless you need more than 30GB. The Zen is already at 32GB, the view is following, making the 30GB HDD players like the Zune and the 30GB ZVM obsolete. Continuing HDDs without seriousely increasing capacities is doomed to fail

Utew on January 13, 2008 11:17 AM

Nice play, Grahm.. to divine information…Interpreting Creative’s intentions is a bit like gazing into a crystal ball. You might see something valid or it could be just wisps in the fog.I used to think that Creative was something of an idiot savant, these days I believe they are just one of those two words…

Lawrence on January 13, 2008 12:12 PM

whatever they make, i hope they’re not stupid enough to just give it tactile controls like they did to the zen. I think that killed it.

Paul on January 13, 2008 1:37 PM

How were they stupid for giving the Zen tactile controls? If anything I hope Creative doesn’t make their next player with touch buttons, that would definatly kill it for me.

whatever on January 13, 2008 1:37 PM

the zen is fine, it’s just the crappy firmware which kills it,touch is nice but on the go useless.on topic, imagine a hdd based product with 100gb+ space, great screen and all that, no recompression needed, sure is a nice idea,though possible but expensive with flash.creative should add msc and folder browsing, proper bookmarking and add ogg/flac as icing on the cake.never going to happen.

EnzoTen (Grahm) on January 13, 2008 5:22 PM

More than likely it will be wireless as well.

Phoenix-X on January 13, 2008 5:49 PM

Nice one enz, playin poker w/creative? seems fitting for being in vegas! heh… if i had a lot of content, id definatelly be considering this!im sure ZenChick’s gonna be happy!

Serio on January 13, 2008 7:17 PM

i would love a new hard drive based player from creative

TechGeekA on January 13, 2008 8:22 PM

i think in 2 years, the flash drive will overrule the hard drive in mp3, and a teravyte iPod will be under development

ashxcore on January 13, 2008 9:00 PM

You’re a sly devil, Grahm. I like that. ;)

bob smith on January 14, 2008 2:29 PM

Everyone keeps saying with the 32gb zen that the hard drive players are dead. I wholly disagree. 32gb sounds like a lot but is not enough. For those of you who travel for a living and spend more time on the road than at home, know what I mean. I have the 16gb zen and it is almost full. Why? Have you put a few movies on one yet? I dropped the last five episodes of (too embarrassed to say), and 3 movies on mine. What if I had bought season one of Battle Star Galactica? That could have been a few more GB. If you listen to books, they can easily approach 500mb each.For the past ten years I have ripped every CD as soon as I got it. More recently most of my music has come online at somewhere between 240 & 320 k-(whatever the standard is). That means that my albums are between 100 & 200mb each. I now have artists that are over 1 GB. Artists and labels are looking for ways to enhance downloads by putting album art, inside info and lyrics back into downloads. What’s next video’s for few of the more popular songs? I guarantee it will happen and it will increase the size of our music files. Just add a zero at the end to size of your music files if you want to know how big the video will be.My girlfriend has 3- 3” binders full of cd’s. Think of that in terms of one MP3 player. Yeah- that is an 80gb iPod (full). Now why would we leave any of that music at home if we have the choice of carrying it with us?

350Zed on January 14, 2008 9:06 PM

Creative, if you’re listening…I have a 30GB Zen V:M, and I can’t help but wonder why you keep missing opportunities to take my money. I need something that holds more (80GB would be nice), has an iPod touch-sized screen, and isn’t bulky like the Zen V:W.Oh ya… I’ve got $400 for you.Now how about you either sh*t or get off the pot, i.e., get back into this game and give us a real market-leading product, or get out of the way and stick to making iPod accessories.

lawrence on January 15, 2008 7:21 PM

Paul, I like tactile controls too, but i like touch controls when i want to browse quickly, like through a big list. i like to have control of the scrolling pace instead of having to click and hold or keep clicking repeatedly. that bothers me. i’d rather slide my finger. but i like touch controls when i have to be more precise with something

Christopher on January 17, 2008 9:21 PM

I would love to be able to organize my music by folder.It’s basically the only reason I don’t own one of their mp3′s players…

Alex M on January 17, 2008 10:45 PM

What I liked most about the ZV:M when I had it was that the bookmarking was great and at least 50% of stuff I put on just worked. I need to convert EVERYTHING for the D2.

Anthony on January 19, 2008 5:40 PM

I’d love to see a high capacity hard drive player from creative.I’ve had my 20g zen nx for about 4 years now, and it’s beginning to play up a bit.In the meantime my cd collection has grown.Creative recently sold the 60g ZEN for around AU$450, and you could get the IPOD 160g (read that again, 100 extra gig!) for only $30 more. No contest at all! In fact, in Australia, you can’t easily find a Creative distributor anymore. Seems they have all given up for the ipods!! Such a shame, I always thought the Creatives outclassed the IPODS in every respect.I am patiently waiting but chances are high I will get tired of waiting and just go and get a high capacity IPOD for my money…

fred7 on January 26, 2008 3:06 PM

How soon could a new vision:m be coming out, what new features, and where did they get the pic for this article?

dvdchris on January 27, 2008 3:41 AM

Hasn’t Creative announced the new Zen line of HDD-less players is the direction they are going? I thought I read the new Zen is the replacement for the ZV:M.

tomaskn on February 6, 2008 6:07 PM

it is coming for sure!email from creative:Thank you for contacting Creative Labs Online Customer Service Department.Here is what happened. The M was a great player, but it had one major drawback. It was a hard drive player. Currently the market is moving away from hard drives simply because they can break. Do you have this problem with a flash player? Not very often. There is something that I can tell you. There is another player coming out. I can not tell you the details about the player though. Just watch our website and you may find some information about it.

Philip on March 5, 2008 4:37 AM

Well there’s a IT show coming up here in Singapore starting tomorrow (Thursday, march 6th). Last time they announce zen on the IT show too. Let’s see tomorrow then.