Cowon iAudio D3 Not Too Far Off?

cowon d3 Cowon iAudio D3 Not Too Far Off?

While talking with some of the Cowon reps at CES 2008 I was tipped off to the D3 while inquiring about supported video resolution on the D2. I asked if there were any plans the D2 would ever support video resolutions above 320×240. He said no, but the D3 might. The rep then gave me three pieces of information- the D3 will be smaller, slimmer, and out in 6 months. “Out in 6 months” is not very clear since this could mean out in Korea in 6 months or announced in 6 months. The US may see it 6 to 12 months in those terms.

Last year I was told that they had no plans to release the Q5 to the US and they did. There could have been a change of plans or there could have been a miscommunication in that it would not be Q5 in the US but a Q5W. That said I would take the D3 news rumor, but a very plausible rumor since it came from the mouths of Cowon.

Eric on January 11, 2008 5:03 PM

also, take into consideration it’s cowon, so we may not see it for QUITE a while.

Miguel on January 12, 2008 12:04 AM

You guys should’ve inquired about an X5 replacement….we’re dying for an alternative.

Wociech on January 12, 2008 4:41 AM

I think that there will be no X4 replacement. One can have 24gb D2 (8gb + 16gb SDHC). I don’t want the D3 to be slimmer if it means shorter battery life.. Hope not

until then a bug free flac/ogg playback for d2 on January 12, 2008 4:59 AM

i hope for a higher res screen and an even better battery life on a d3.sure’ld be nice to have a 12 hour video playback enabled player.

WalkGood on January 12, 2008 12:46 PM

Hope it doesn’t turn out to be another X7 type rumor :(

nywytboy68 on January 14, 2008 8:01 AM

I’d love for a bigger screen and more memory w/the same form factor. Lets just hope they put this out before Q3 0r Q4. Wait,………DID YOU SAY SMALLER? UGH!!!!

Guest on January 15, 2008 12:43 PM

I wonder if we’ll still have to convert video. Hope not…

JJS on January 18, 2008 4:40 PM

Damn i been savin a little money on the side for the D2 and in no rush for a PMP.Hopefully the D3 comes out sooner than 6 months.

Cowon#1 on January 27, 2008 10:16 AM

I agree with nywytboy68, I’d love a bigger screen with the same form factor only with a 16:9 widescreen instead of a 4:3 ratio.Also VERY important is being able to control the player with the screen vertical..that would make it much easier to use with one hand. The D2 is to wide to control easily with one hand.

noneother on February 21, 2008 2:54 AM

I can’t wait for the D3. I love my D2 but the screen can always be a little bigger.

Stan Delles on February 27, 2008 6:30 PM

It would behoove Cowon to offer a line output for music files that can be used at the same time the unit is powered externally. This ad support for FLAC files is critical.

Stan Delles on February 27, 2008 6:30 PM

Jessica on August 2, 2008 12:16 PM

how much longer must we waittttt I can no longer bear my NDS lite and w810 walkman phone now that I’ve lost my iPod nano half a year ago! it’s absolute torture!It better come out in August, and I better be able to purchase it, even if that means going through international online stores!agghhhhI cannot wait for it. I hope it lives up to my expectations, and more!

Jessica on September 8, 2008 11:43 PM

looking over Cowon’s past track history, I’d say so far off it’s vaporware