iriver CES 2008 Player Roundup

iriver booth main iriver CES 2008 Player Roundup

iriver had one of the coolest looking booth at CES and really was the only manufacturer that showed anything new and compelling. Walking behind the tent like structure you entered an ultra white and extremely well lit display area. It was a ultra modern and I would have expected to see the iriver reps wearing white lab coats. Still they knew their stuff and were quick to answer any questions.

Over the last few years iriver has been more of an enigma in the US by only releasing a handful of their products to the store shelves, keeping many of the really cool and compelling products back in Asian countries. However, iriver PR and two of the reps told me that the US will likely see a lot of what was on display and they will be making more of an effort to sell in the United States.

Below I have a rundown of the various players, a quick and dirty booth tour, and a video demo of the Unit 2.

Iriver SPINN

The spin was locked in a case so I did not get a chance to hold use it. But basically it is a PMP with an “analog toggle” wheel. The screen is a 3.2” 480×272 LCD and will support MGEG 4 and WMV9 at 30FPS. The player will come in 4, 8, and 16GB versions. It sports a built in mic, TV out, FM tuner, optional Bluetooth, and optional DMB & DVB-H. Other supported file types include: MP3, WMA, OGG, JPG, GIF, BMP, TXT, Flash Lite 2.1.

iriver spinn 01 thumb 150x112 iriver CES 2008 Player Roundupiriver spinn 02 thumb 150x112 iriver CES 2008 Player Roundupiriver spinn 04 thumb 150x112 iriver CES 2008 Player Roundup

L PLAYER

This looks to replace the S10 using the same “D-Click” UI navigation, but the amazing thing to me is this tiny player sports a 2” 320×240 LCD and comes in 2, 4, 8GB capacities. Additionally it has an FM tuner and built in mic. The supported formats are OGG, MP3, WMA, MPEG4/WMV9 SP @ 3 FPS, JPEG, GIF, BMP, and TXT.

iriver lplayer 2 thumb 150x112 iriver CES 2008 Player Roundupiriver lplayer 4 thumb 150x112 iriver CES 2008 Player Roundup

iAMOLED

iriver iamoled 1 thumb 150x112 iriver CES 2008 Player Roundup

Here is their flagship PMP with a gorgeous looking AMOLED touch screen at 4.1” and WQVGA resolution. The player’s features includes: 80/160GB capacities, USB Host, mic, TV out, FM tuner, DMV (optional), and SPINN analog controls. On the video side the iAMOLED will support most of the major formats up to DVD resolution (720×480) at 30FPS- MPEG1/4 (SP/ASP), WMV7/8/9, DivX/XviD, H.264, and M-JPEG.

P10

This was my favorite with its minimalistic touch screen form factor. I really appreciated the material what was used for the housing- it being a “velvet rubber” as seen on the Treo 750. It feels nice in your hands and doesn’t show wear. Shown below is the GUI in action although im not sure if that will be the final product. The screen is a high resolution 800×480, matching the Cowon iAudio A3, with an all touch interface. The P10 supports all the codecs the iAMOLED does and adds a built in speaker. One odd thing is that it is using a 1.3” 33GB HDD.

iriver p10 01 thumb 150x112 iriver CES 2008 Player Roundupiriver p10 02 thumb 150x112 iriver CES 2008 Player Roundupiriver p10 03 thumb 150x112 iriver CES 2008 Player Roundupiriver p10 06 thumb 150x112 iriver CES 2008 Player Roundupiriver p10 07 thumb 150x112 iriver CES 2008 Player Roundupiriver p10 08 thumb 150x112 iriver CES 2008 Player Roundupiriver p10 09 thumb 150x112 iriver CES 2008 Player Roundupiriver p10 10 thumb 150x112 iriver CES 2008 Player Roundupiriver p10 11 thumb 150x112 iriver CES 2008 Player Roundupiriver p10 12 thumb 150x112 iriver CES 2008 Player Roundupiriver p10 14 thumb 150x112 iriver CES 2008 Player Roundupiriver p10 15 thumb 150x112 iriver CES 2008 Player Roundupiriver p10 16 thumb 150x112 iriver CES 2008 Player Roundup

E100

Another candy bar type flash based player (4/8/16GB) using their D-Click navigation and supports the same codecs and features as the L PLAYER. The screen is a 2.4” QVGA resolution LCD. It also has a built in speaker and micrSD.

Clix+

Clix2 + DMB – Here is the review of the Clix2.

B20

It’s a fatter version of the Clix+ but adds DMB and microSD slot. The US will not likely see this one since DMB is not broadcasted here.

iriver b20 02 thumb 150x112 iriver CES 2008 Player Roundup

W7

This is an interesting one since it has the ability to add a GPS cradle and may be converted to a GSM mobile phone with a touch based interface. Here are the specs: 3” 480×272 LCD Touch screen, 4/8GB capacities, miniSD slot, mic, speaker, MP3, WMA, WMV, AVI, 30FPS video, JPG, TXT, Flash Lite 2.02.

APLAYER

The APLAYER is a screenless sliver of metal that would make any Shuffle owner jealous. Comes in 1/2/4/8 GB capacities and will support MP3, WMA, and OGG.

iriver aplayer 1 thumb 150x112 iriver CES 2008 Player Roundupiriver aplayer 2 thumb 150x112 iriver CES 2008 Player Roundup

VOLCANO

iriver volcano thumb 150x112 iriver CES 2008 Player Roundup

Simple USB stick MP3 palyer. It supports MP3, OGG, and WMA and comes in 1/2/4/8 GB capacities.

MPLAYER SEASON II

Disney branded screenless Mickey Mouse head- 1/2GB, MP3, WMA, ASF.

Unit 2

There is all kinds of communication and wireless going on here. Surprisingly it also has a sim card slot it the back. Ill just let you checkout the video. The rep also said the US will see this one. I’m still skeptical.

iriver unit 2 1 thumb 150x112 iriver CES 2008 Player Roundupiriver unit 2 2 thumb 150x112 iriver CES 2008 Player Roundup

The Booth

Here is a quick and giddy run around the iriver booth. I admit it’s not the best, but enjoy it for what it is.

Pixie on January 16, 2008 2:20 AM

The clix+ has dmb and comes in pink and purple so its not really the same thing. It’s kinda the same since its the same hardware, but its still different.

David on January 16, 2008 3:16 AM

Sorry I’m just not impressed with any of those players. They are all kind of… um… ugly to me. I would have thought this year some of these companies would come out with a higher capacity flash mp3 player. So far the highest seems to be in the 16GB range. I guess we have to wait another year for bigger flash players.

Felix on January 16, 2008 5:07 AM

Thank you for this nice overview. Do you know when the iriver SPINN will be released in the U.S. / Europe?

James on January 16, 2008 8:29 AM

The Volcano looks lovely if you’re looking for a minimalist audio player.

Troy on January 16, 2008 10:00 AM

DavidThe Creative Zen goes up to 32gb. AND it looks awesome.

Jessica on January 16, 2008 10:53 AM

QBoi on January 16, 2008 1:20 PM

Is a picture of the iAMOLED up? I see the Spinn and the L Player, but nothing underneath the iAMOLED.I really like their lineup this year.

Jason on January 16, 2008 2:39 PM

The picture next to the P10 heading is the iAMOLED (great name).

LunarFlame17 on January 16, 2008 4:28 PM

“The Creative Zen goes up to 32gb.”Also the Sansa View comes in 32 GB as well.

Ben on January 16, 2008 7:22 PM

Can’t wait for those to hit the US. The L Player, P10, and iAMOLED all look amazing.They’re all just a little ugly though…

wowoweewa on January 17, 2008 4:14 AM

I can’t belive that people are getting excited about these producrs! You guys must have memories worse than goldfish. Anybody remember last year’s CES when iriver announced a load of producst – the w10, the dictionary thing, that handheld console thing – They never came out (at least not in the states) – This company is a joke – A lot of style but absolutely no substance.iriver? idon’tbeliveyou idon’tthinkyouhave anyrealproducts ithinkyouaregoingbroke.

MNP34ME on January 17, 2008 6:15 AM

I need an MP3 player with buttons. I use it while I am driving and need to feel the buttons. This touchpad crap doesn’t cut it.

zilexa on January 17, 2008 9:42 AM

wowoweewa why are you bashing iRiver?Long before there was iPod, there was iRiver. With there innovative mp3players and discmans. After the H3xx they focused more on the Korean market (read about Wibro on wikipedia) but soon they came back with new players.Their Clix(2), U10 and lots of other players are selling very well in the whole world.CES is an international thing, not just a US thing.You sound like a stereotype US citizen, thinking US is the world and a few shitty countries around.

Eric on January 17, 2008 11:04 PM

how much will the W7 cost?

xt on January 18, 2008 2:32 AM

Now, I dont get this. On some sites, it says the iRiver Spinn has 3.2 AMOLED screen, on others its a 3.3′ LCD. Which screen is it!?I really hope its AMOLED

Michelle on January 18, 2008 4:05 PM

Will there be a Clix 3?

GOD on January 19, 2008 12:19 PM

how you can say these players are ugly is beyond me. the spinn looks amazing.

Bradavon on January 20, 2008 7:23 AM

Does the Spin have a MicroSD HC slot? If so it looks nice. If not the Sansa View beats it (which is dirt cheap and already out!).Not that the Digital Tuner will work in the UK when we use DVB-T :( The Unit 2 looks cool too, dumb name though. I’ve no need for a Media Center yet (my laptop is in my front room) but maybe one day. I like the concept but am still not convinced.These are all way more impressive than Iaudio’s continuing lacklustre efforts.

Jim Slater on January 22, 2008 9:30 PM

w00T w00T

Fallstar on January 23, 2008 2:29 PM

“US will likely see a lot of what was on display and they will be making more of an effort to sell in the United States.”Well I hope that translates to some time this year. I like the look of the L Player and the Volcano, so I’m holding off on buying any flash player until these (hopefully) make it to the states.

이동민 on February 15, 2008 7:45 PM

오 아이리버 한국에는 언제 공개할라나아 빨리 좀 나오면 좋겠다

guest_2008 on February 17, 2008 7:47 PM

VOLCANO looks like samsung U3 with retractable USB. i hope it gets to the states. i’d like to buy one. asia gets better mp3 players and phones and the states never sees any of that.

medved on March 5, 2008 8:23 AM

iAMLOLED

Sue on March 11, 2008 12:09 AM

Hmm.. I’m really interested in the L player.. but video only 3fps?

iriver from korea on March 22, 2008 8:48 AM

JESSICADoes the Lplayer and e100 NOT have flash lite? wouldn’t seem to make any sense if it didn’t…and how would you play games with the spin if it uses the spinn wheel??JESSICA…the games are there for support…not to sell…you think of music? and buy an iriver player…if you wanna play games…you think of xbox…nintendo…playstation…not iriver…lol

Relyt on May 31, 2008 10:19 AM

See the api homepage – SPINN and LPlayer have US release dates.

Aussie on June 11, 2008 9:15 AM

G’day,I was onto the Clix+, & Clix 3 rumours long ago. I tried contacting Korea & doing my own research to no avail.Can anyone confirm for me whether DMB is comapatible with DVT ie: will the TV work in Australia or US?Please… :)

Kiva on January 10, 2009 1:22 AM

The P10 runs on a 33 GB hard drive, which is probably the most. Its also the one I’m waiting for