Mvix MX-780HD Media Center With Built-in Torrent Client

mvix mx780hd main Mvix MX 780HD Media Center With Built in Torrent Client

This is one of those little know devices that I am a huge fan of. I own and did a review on one of the first Mvix media centers a while ago, the MV-5000U. Aside from its crude interface, I thought it was a fantastic device being able to play many different formats along with DVD ISOs turning it to a true DVD jukebox. It is still one of my most used devices to this day. So you can see why I am excited to see this third gen Mvix.

The newest version, the Mvix MX-780, adds HDMI out for resolutions of to 1080p (in addition to other outputs, see after the jump). There are many different ways you can play media on the box: stream it from your computer (Wi-Fi or Ethernet), transfer it via USB as a standard MSC drive, connect an MSC drive to the USB host on the back, set it up as a NDAS network drive and drop files on, and of course add an internal IDE or SATA drive. Additionally, you are able to tune into free internet radio for music content.

Now onto what I found to be the more interesting feature of this media center is the soon to be built in torrent client. This feature will likely be coming later on, so don’t expect it to be included at the time or release (although it might). When I spoke with a Mvix rep he told me that the firmware programmer was finishing up the torrent client on the way over to CES on the plane, so it’s still probably beta. I also found out that they are still planning on adding more codecs with future firmware updates.

The 780 is not up on the Mvix site yet, but below are the specs I copied from the press release. I know the above sounds a bit like a sales pitch, but I really am a fan and think more people should know about this gem- so spread the word. I will try to get my hands on one soon for a review.

• Video Formats: DivX, XviD, DVD (ISO/VOB/IFO), MPEG, VCD(DAT), WMV(WMV-9), ASF(WMV-9), TP, TS, TRP
  • Audio Formats: MP3, WMA, AAC, OGG, PMC, AC3, M4A, DTS decoding (down-mixing / Pass though)
  • Image Formats: BMP, JPG, PNG
  • Subtitle Support: SMO, SRT, SUB
  • Video Out: HDMI, Composite, S-Video, Component
  • Audio Out: RCA, Digital Coaxial, Optical
  • TV System: NTSC, PAL, Auto
  • HD Support: 720p, 1080i, 1080p
  • Networking: 802.11b/g (WEP/WPA), 10/100 Ethernet, NDAS
  • Internal Disk: 3.5” IDE or SATA
  • USB: Slave (for connecting to computer) and Host (for additional storage)
mvix mx780hd 1 thumb 150x302 Mvix MX 780HD Media Center With Built in Torrent Clientmvix mx780hd 2 thumb 150x420 Mvix MX 780HD Media Center With Built in Torrent Client

titoooo on January 17, 2008 3:41 PM

where can i get in europe? what about prices?

EnzoTen (Grahm) on January 17, 2008 5:12 PM

It hasn’t been released yet, but in the $300-400 range would be my guess.

Samart on January 18, 2008 4:05 AM

wireless LAN, torrent client and HDMI support, this baby gotta be somewhere in the $500-600 price range.

Samart on January 18, 2008 4:06 AM

thither on January 18, 2008 8:27 PM

Look pretty awesome. Any word on the CPU type / speed? I’m wondering if this could replace my XBox+XBMC, with a Maxtor MSS for NAS, setup (I doubt it, but hope springs eternal). Is it based on Linux / Open-Source?

Robert on January 24, 2008 6:58 PM

Wonders if it plays .mkv !!Anyone?

EnzoTen (Grahm) on January 25, 2008 2:06 PM

When i spoke with the rep, he said they were getting feedback on people who wanted MKV. So this is something they are considering adding.

Erwin on January 25, 2008 2:30 PM

It’s based on the MX-760HDMain differenceHDMI vs DMISATA vs ATAand torrent clientPrice: from €279,00 without HDin Germany

Erwin on January 25, 2008 2:32 PM

Erwin on January 25, 2008 2:32 PM

It’s based on the MX-760HDMain differenceHDMI vs DMISATA vs ATAand torrent clientPrice: from 279,00 euro without HDin Germany

Tksharif on January 27, 2008 2:57 AM

It is a gem allright, what an amazing device. The quality of video and audio beats any high end DVD player hands down. I am using the 5000r and just ordered the 780 for $350 at http://www.mvixstore.com

Ruckus on February 2, 2008 2:40 AM

I think the only thing that could have made this better at this point would have been an eSATA connection for external drives, but I suppose the USB host ports are good enough.God, I want one! The thing that kills me is that I could totally buy it right now if I temporarily lost control of my bank account!

Chris B. on February 4, 2008 10:35 AM

Looks interesting, but the lack of any lossless codec support is a pretty major shortcoming for me.

shinobi00 on February 9, 2008 11:50 AM

or you can just get a modified xbox for 99 dollars and it will do the same things, but do them a lot better.

Paul on February 12, 2008 8:12 PM

Would really like the 780 to support mkv files. Would buy it in a flash if it did.

Cesar on February 13, 2008 10:03 PM

Hi all,I intent to buy a Mvix 780HD but I still have questions about it, so.I saw a lot of comments regarding to a bit torrent client for Mvix MX-780HD but, never see details regarding to how to setup this functionality and if it is a standard for the device or it is a modification in the firmware.Does anyone have more details about the use of bit-torrent in a MX-780HD ?Thanks

Sammy on February 21, 2008 5:45 PM

If anyone has the 780HD, please post its display resolution on photos and whether it can handle SRT subtitle files saved in unicode mode. I have the 760HD and these are the two key sore points for me. The resolution of displayed photos on the 760HD is an absolute joke for an HD quality box. As for subtitles, the 760HD will not display SRT files save with unicode on. This means that SRT files with the extended latin characters will not work.

s_sgp on February 26, 2008 9:56 AM

Arggghhh.. why still no 802.11N? If anyone’s going to do HD over wireless, why still using G? But from the initial description of “set it up as a NDAS network drive and drop files on”, maybe it won’t stream HD wirelessly like Netgear Eva8000. So two shortcomings? No N because no streaming?

David on March 9, 2008 3:52 PM

I bought one about a week ago. It is an excellent product. I’m currently trying to get the wireless going but need the NDAS/write key which I believe still that I have to wait for from the company. They say it is on the bottom of the box but it is mostly in chinese. I’m probably just missing something from what the rep is telling me in email.

Dennis on April 21, 2008 2:21 PM

Hi everyone. I´m thinking of getting one of these mvix 780. But I would need a cable from the hdmi out to my 15 pin d-sub on my tv. Because the one and only hdmi in on my tv I´m using for my dvd recorder. But I don´t seem to find such a cable anywhere. Please anyone?

Tim Barnes on June 5, 2008 1:50 AM

Hi,I am interested in the interface, and how it looks. I have a server with a whole bunch of my dvds converted into divx, i’d like to know whether you get a nice gui with dvd artwork, or just a line of text with the file name.avi. The same goes for music, do you get artwork displayed? Perhaps a screen grab would sell me on it.CheersTim

Jeff M on June 9, 2008 3:49 PM

A message from MvixUSA on June 6th, 2008, when I asked if they have any plans for torrent client in upcoming firmware releases. This is a dealkiller for me.Hi Jeff,A firmware with direct Torrent client has not been released. While it was heavily speculated by some that there would eventually be a Torrent client included, I have not yet seen any firmware that has included this. Please check in on our website from time to time for new firmware releases.Thank you,MarcusThank you for contacting MvixUSA Support!We appreciate your interest in the MvixUSA Multimedia Centers.

Tony on July 3, 2008 3:29 PM

where can i get one, here in saudi arabia? anyone…

norm on July 8, 2008 8:16 AM

hi, does anyone know if ti plays wav bit rate 1411, that is a must for me

norm on July 8, 2008 8:24 AM

does it play audio format wav bit rate 1411

Bob on October 10, 2008 6:13 AM

Xbox’s can’t play HD video though. This can.

Bob on October 10, 2008 6:20 AM

It looks nice, but I was hoping for mkv and flac support. If it supported those format’s I’d be all over this. I’ve been looking for something I can put by my TV that supports those. Until it supports those, an HTPC still looks like the best option (but is more expensive).

Bob on October 10, 2008 6:24 AM

Oh, also to make these devices complete, they could add a dual HD tv tuner for DVR type recording. Maybe in the next model?

Pablo on November 13, 2008 9:20 AM

Bob, OGG is flac format!

One more dudded user on December 3, 2008 7:25 AM

Do not purchase this. Google the mivix forums – do not belive NOT the dud reviews – clearly some are simply brochure reprints.The uints has lots of firmware bugs – wireless is flakey HDMI is flakey. please reearch the MVIX forums – you will be shocked at the amout of bugs and issues people have