SanDisk Sansa Clip Silver 4GB

clip silver main SanDisk Sansa Clip Silver 4GB

I sat down with SanDisk this morning and the only (but still very cool ) new thing they had to show was the silver 4GB clip. The only thing new with the Clip is it gets a new silver paint job and an increase to 4GB. The new Clip will be on sale come February and will retail for $80. I also mentioned the possible support for other codecs on the clip such as FLAC and OGG since the Clip is gaining some appeal among the hi-fi crowd. While it is still just a thought, I think there is a good chance of this being added since they overall are pretty responsive to the community overall.

sansa clip silver 4gb 1 thumb 150x112 SanDisk Sansa Clip Silver 4GBsansa clip silver 4gb 2 thumb 150x112 SanDisk Sansa Clip Silver 4GBsansa clip silver 4gb 3 thumb 150x112 SanDisk Sansa Clip Silver 4GBsansa clip silver 4gb 4 thumb 150x112 SanDisk Sansa Clip Silver 4GBsansa clip silver 4gb 5 thumb 150x112 SanDisk Sansa Clip Silver 4GBsansa clip silver 4gb 6 thumb 150x112 SanDisk Sansa Clip Silver 4GB

BlueScreenJunky on January 7, 2008 2:55 PM

Damn, I just ordered my 2GB sansa clip 2 hours ago… Oh well, It couldn’t wait till february anyay.I love the silver casing, especially how the black part blends with the screen.

Richiemagoo on January 7, 2008 4:38 PM

….and my 2GB is arriving tomorrow!!! I would have gladly waited another month for a 4GB!!!!!!! (I really need 4 gigs, since I’d like to keep my audio bible on the player, and it takes up nearly 2 gigs!!)Atzafratzenziggeratz&$%^&*())*^&%^%%^!!!!!

alex m on January 7, 2008 5:55 PM

nice looking. Too bad they couldn’t have shoved a micro-sd in there.

Don on January 7, 2008 6:24 PM

I’m glad you mentioned adding FLAC and OGG, I would love to see some open source and high quality codecs on a more popular line of MP3 players. I’m pretty sure, but not certain, that the high-end iRiver PMPs are the only choice these days if you want to play FLAC/OGG. I love the Sansa PMPs, I own a e200r, Connect and plan upon purchasing the new Sansa clip silver come February.

Macilaci457 on January 8, 2008 7:38 AM

I like the new look. But I usually aware of silver painting as it usually scratches to black plastic. But the front plate looks awesome!

fatmonkee on January 8, 2008 8:03 PM

Well rats. I love my 2gb black clip, but I’d love it more if it was 4gb and bitchin’ silver. The clip definitely deserves to be in the 4gb flavor. It’s so frickin’ small and lovely. I’ve had my clip for a good 2 or 3 months now, and I have zero complaints. But, my only complaint now is that I wish I got the 4gb silver clip! DRAT!P.S. Good luck at CES ABI. Keep your loyal readers posted.

Jamie on January 9, 2008 8:12 AM

As above i just ordered a 1gb sansa clip with radio last night. I knew this was on its way but with a delivery date of mid feb in the US and me being in the UK i just couldnt be bothered to wait. Will probably sell my 1g and get this one anyways whenever it does come out.

Ok on January 9, 2008 1:06 PM

The problem with the Clip is that it is designed as a dispensable device. Once the battery isn’t good anymore, the whole device is useless and joins the piles of toxic electronic waste.

Jamie on January 9, 2008 3:18 PM

…good job its so small then eh?

Eric on January 9, 2008 8:36 PM

@OK: isn’t that more or less every these days?

Ok on January 12, 2008 9:41 AM

Not exactly, Eric. It is true the huge majority of players use non-standard batteries that are hard to replace without some technical knowledge. But it is still possible. From what I read, the only way to open the Clip is by breaking it open.

chris on January 14, 2008 4:39 PM

damn it damn it damn it damn it!i got the 2gb red clip on black friday i wouldn’t have opened it if i knew this was gonna happen >=p

siwiwid on January 14, 2008 11:41 PM

Still wait for a ‘sansa clip sound’ player with expandable memory and more codec support, like APE or FLAC.. Now that would be a real deal.

Nephersir7 on January 17, 2008 10:32 PM

good thing i avoided buying the 2gb clip in the holidays. The silver color is so sleek. The only thing missing is either a microsd slot or a cheap speaker like the stone has. I’ll just wait ’til a good deal comes out and ill buy it.But it is still cheaper than those 1gb shuffles.

Job Chithalan on January 20, 2008 5:42 PM

FLAC and APE will be of limited use even if Clip had 8GB.Once, after ripping 180 CDs, I calculated the average FLAC file size and got 600MB per CD.Lack of a microSD slot is a serious limitation.

Valgas on January 20, 2008 7:47 PM

Why even consider making this lossless compatible if we won’t be able to add memory? It’s a kickass player still though!What was the reason for them omitting a micro sd card slot? I’ve seen micro sd slots on devices smaller than this so size couldn’t have been a factor.

Job Chithalan on January 21, 2008 10:52 PM

re my previous post about the size of FLAC file. The average figure I got is in fact 308MB per CD and not 600MB.May be the company will see competitive advantages of bringing out a re-design of the Clip with a slot or two for microSD cards.

Job Chithalan on January 21, 2008 10:53 PM

JOE on January 30, 2008 5:50 PM

BEAUTIFUL CAN’T WAIT.

Kevin on February 3, 2008 9:14 AM

I think the reason for the lack of microSD slot is just the pricing; Sansa would have to tack $10 extra on to the already $80 price. I wouldnt mind paying an extra $10 for that feature, but I guess they saw it differently. I hope they add it and name it “Sansa Clip Plus” or something.

ET on February 8, 2008 12:13 AM

I just wish that the Li-ion battery was replacable on the Sansa Clip. Since it’s impossible to open up the plastic case without destroying it, it will have to be tossed in a couple years when the battery dies for good. It’s annoying since anyone can learn how to solder battery wires and an mp3 player is unlikely to become obsolete for quite a while.

4DThinker on February 9, 2008 6:37 PM

iPod Shuffle 1gb $79. Sandisk Clip 4gb $80. I think any argument about what the clip “should have had” is wasted considering the main competition. Display them side-by-side, with this clip design in a couple other colors and no-one in their right mind would by a Shuffle.

azizul on February 10, 2008 1:06 PM

omg i cant wait til black friday…i got my sansa last black friday for $35…and i dont need a new one but id sure like to get my hands on nicer mp3….but the sansa is perfect except it should have date and time

Bruno Emmendoerffer on February 15, 2008 6:07 PM

super ce nouveau sansa clip !!mais quand verra t on ce bijoux de 4 go en France ?Parceque , je compte acheté le 2go + fm demain !!!pfff, pas juste

Gary on February 17, 2008 9:25 AM

I love my 2GB clip and will probably buy a 4GB. ~ SD card support would be great. ~ If batter lasts 2 or 3 years, it’s as long as the likely useful / actual life of the Clip.Wish it did Audio-Books better. If they aren’t in the proprietary AA format, the clip can not “bookmark” where I was in the file. Even more annoying, it doesn’t know books from music, so I can’t use random play without getting chapters of books.I wish someone would make a non-proprietary format to compete with Audible Audio’s AA format?

Markyboy on February 18, 2008 8:25 AM

Now i’m in a quandary!! I was going to purchase a 2gb clip this week. So, now what do i do? Buy the 2Gb player now and be a victim of ‘i want it now’ syndrome or do i wait for the 4Gb to come out or do i wait till the 4gb comes out and then buy a 2gb version when the price plummets?Does anyone know when the larger memory version of the player is going to be up for graps in the U.K.Thank-you, please.

Mitchell on February 22, 2008 1:22 PM

When will it be out?! Their website says the 15th but it’s still not here.

uhnnfoofoo on February 22, 2008 1:27 PM

I’m dying over here!!! When r we gonna get this beauty in Canada!?

Daniel on February 24, 2008 12:01 PM

Gary,I have just bought a 2G sansa clip as a present for my brother. I tested the AA bookmark feature and seemed to work fine. There may be something wrong with yours.I have currently an 4G ipod nano, used mostly for AA books, but I find it quite bulky. I will switch to sansa clip as soon as the 4G is out there.

parm on March 5, 2008 4:57 PM

Sandisk are pretty slack at getting the 4gb out. I have been waiting for over a month for it now. Its march, still nowher to be seen

Cory Slahta on March 5, 2008 5:48 PM

I’m sure they’ll surprise me with the release a week after I get tired of waiting and just buy the 2gb

Doug on March 5, 2008 9:36 PM

Their shipping now. Only direct from sandisk atm. Check fatwallet for a coupon code

Randy on March 21, 2008 10:52 PM

I ordered mine directly off of the Sandisk site and received it 4 days later, and I can easily say to everyone out there to wait and get the 4 GB model. This thing is absolutely everything I hoped and more. So easy to use and so many features for only $80. Highly recommend it to all.

Jason on April 13, 2008 10:31 PM

This seems the obvious choice for me, excellent price too!Any news on a UK release? Can’t seem to find any info anywhere, cheers!

heartbreaker on April 17, 2008 9:29 AM

After only 3 weeks with my Sansa Clip 4GB, it’s dead. I loved it while it worked. Bought specifically for use with Rhapsody. No idea what happened to it. It was in the middle of playing and I wasn’t even holding it at the time. No sharp blows or drops or moisture. It just shut off as if the battery was dead, but hadn’t been on for more than 2-3 hours since last charge. Now it no longer works in Windows and it won’t charge. Seems like the USB port just quit.

lester on May 15, 2008 2:12 PM

same here, my 4GB died very quickly. i hope i can return it, it was awesome for a day. but pretty much didnt work after that.i agree, seems the usb port quit.

Emilio Santana on June 6, 2008 1:35 PM

same hers i just bought mine 4 gb sansa clip on wednesday and when i turned it on the first day i put music on it after i turned it off it just died it wouldnt even start up again.

joebangaa on June 9, 2008 2:03 AM

Any updates from owners of 4GB clips that have prematurely failed? I’m very interested in purchasing one but am afraid there are quality issues w/ these first batches.

scar on June 12, 2008 12:05 PM

Just bought mine on Monday, barely used it for maybe 3 hours total. Died this morning while I was listening to music. It won’t respond at all now.

Joyisee on June 14, 2008 6:56 AM

they need to make a black version of this..and fix the problems..then i will definitely buy it :)

Razor on June 16, 2008 3:16 AM

Im thinking of buying the 4 Gb clip. By the looks of it there seems to be a hardware bug. Does the product still die without warning? And if it does, have Sandisk been able to fix it?thanks

Mike on June 25, 2008 9:38 PM

I have a 2 GB red one and I love the way this one looks. I am not selling my 2 GB to get this one though, I’ve had mine for too long to get rid of it. I love the battery life I only charge it like twice a month and I use it like crazy every day!

Wile E on July 21, 2008 4:33 PM

i think it says you should charge it before using…I have had 4GB clip for about 2 months..works and charges fine..some USB ports don’t send enough power to charge it. I also have a car charger i got for 8 bucks and that is fine too.

Andy on August 9, 2008 1:02 PM

Mine died for good yesterday, lasted 61 days. Same symptoms as others, shut off as if battery wad dead even though it was nearly fully charged. Now won’t start, won’t respond to USB connection, nothing. Completely dead. It had shut off prematurely a time or two before, so apparently it was failing for the last week or so. Piece of junk apparently, from all these posts. Will have to send it on for warranty service or replacement, I guess.

Ell on August 30, 2008 5:11 PM

Well I was considering getting one but these final post have scared me away…does the 4GB have FM tuner, if so how does everyone like that feature.

Andreas Ødegård on August 31, 2008 8:16 AM

Ell, you shouldnt be too worried. People who have problems with their players often write that on the web while the thousands of people that don’t have any trouble with them are quiet. I’ve had a silver clip for months and used it at work which is a big physical strain on any electronical device. Works perfectly. As for radio, it does come with one but you have to check that before you buy as in europe there are both fm and non-FM versions around due to fm versions costing more 8licensing issue)

James on November 17, 2008 9:45 PM

I’ve had mine since last May and have used it almost every day. I use it at school, work, exercising, you name it. Not a single problem. I love the thing and recommend it to anyone who will listen.

Nick on November 21, 2008 1:07 AM

I had mine for about 5 months and loved it. It was pretty sturdy considering the numerous times it fell from my lap. Two days ago it stopped turning on, even after being connected for hours. Saw from another site a disassembled picture from it. I opened it up and noticed that the red(+) connection from the battery had disconnected. I soldered it back on, charged it up and it was good as always (after formatting the the memory). Today, it stopped working again (even though it’s still accessible through usb and all the power leads are connected). It must be some kind of problem with the power management or battery.

Bear11 on November 26, 2008 10:32 PM

I got mine for 60$ (CAD[Canadian). I also bought some Sennheiser headphones which turned out to be more than the actual player LoL however its night and day comparing the original headphones to the Sennheiser’s I’ve had mine for about 2 days and I’ve been torturing it ever since. Got it playing all 2 days at work @70%+ volume, the battery died on me finally (aprox. 15 hours of play time as specs stated so this is accurate) and is being charged as we speak hopefully i didn’t get a lemon like some other have had the USB die on them, But for the money this player has amazing capacity and sound quality. I would recommend it to anyone who needs a on the go/workout or at work mp3 player.

Bernardo on December 5, 2008 9:33 PM

Extremely GREAT product. First i bought a 4GB Creative Zen V plus and found out how much B.S. is in the media and the reviews bout Mp3′s. I was really surprised that the Zen V was among some of the best products featured in CNET… but in reality it felt just plain cheap in every sence: features, functionality, feel of the product, etc… it was all really crappy. It ended up stoping to work after a couple of months.After that i bought the sansa clip, the silver one. A whole world of difference. Not only on price but everything else. The sound quality was great.I dropped it in the street though. I lost it. I realized i didnt have it in my pocket too late, but im going to buy another one FOR SURE. I have tried over 20 different mp3′s (form friends and aquaintances) and the sansa clip is by far, the best.

Florence on January 6, 2009 7:17 AM

DO NOT BUY THE SANSA CLIP!!!! I bought TWO Sansa Clip 4GB and both failed! I bought the Sansa for the sole purpose of working out. The first one worked for about 3 weeks and one day it just died. I didn’t have the receipt and had not purchsed the warranty. I thought that maybe I got a lot of sweat on it and it malfunctioned. I bought the second one a month ago from Circuit City and purchased a warranty. Yesterday, I was in the middle of a workout. The Sansa was clipped to my shirt and was not wet at all. It just stopped working, like it short-circuited. I kept my headphones on and it started working again within the next 10 minutes. I thought maybe it just needed to be recharged. When I brought it home, I connected it to the computer and it has not turned on since. This one is officially dead. The computer is saying the the USB device has malfunctioned and the computer is not recognizing it. DO NOT BUY THIS SANSA!!!!!!

Magda on January 21, 2009 2:05 PM

Oh my. I pondered which mp3-player to buy for like four years, and now I’ve got my tiny Sansa Clip.I LOVE IT. And I pray that it is going to work forever.If not, I keep all my reciepts and we have very good laws for consuments in Sweden.Lala ~

paul on January 25, 2009 12:31 PM

Are you sure your Sansa clip is dead? I thought mine was completely dead until I did a little research. It may just need to be reset. Hold the on lever up for about twenty seconds or so, then release and try to turn it on normally. It worked for me.

Anna B. on February 5, 2009 12:19 AM

Thank you Paul!!!! Your suggestion worked. I thought I had to return my Sansa Clip but it reset. For all of you out there who have the same problem just follow Paul’s suggestions. I love Sansa, this is my third product with them and all last and work really well.

vatalany on May 11, 2009 8:20 AM

I got one for christmas there so cool and it comes with awesome songs!!!!!!!!!!!1

lambheel on July 8, 2009 3:22 PM

Mine died too, wouldn’t reset. I have been following sansa’s support instructions but no go. Bummer because when it worked it was perfect. Worked for 9 months including two overseas trips and then died when it was plugged in for recharging. I cried.

PackRatt on March 1, 2010 10:25 PM

Wow glad that I read this before taking back the ones I got from bestbuy. I was getting ready to take my motorcycle out today when mine just simply died, 5 hours later my girlfrieds died the same way. Did a search and found this blog, did the reset and poof, They are Alive Again!