SanDisk Sansa Fuze Preview

sansa fuze main box SanDisk Sansa Fuze Preview

SanDisk’s latest player the Sansa Fuze fits nicely in the family between the Clip and the View. How does the Fuze stack up? After just a few hours with the Fuze I can easily say that this is the best Sansa to date. The Sansa View was rushed to market and it shows in the details, but on the other hand you can tell that the Fuze got a lot more TLC.

The biggest improvement I have noticed is the snappier interface as you can see from the video below. The screen is also improved over the View and previous Sansas; it is more crisp and doesn’t suffer from that odd “shimmer” that e200 and the View had. Many of you have been curious to know if the sound quality is on par with great sounding Clip. So far I have been hard pressed to tell the difference on my Sennheiser HD650s (the Fuze does drive them to a comfortable listening level). However, I have only spend a few hours with it, so don’t hold me to it till the full review.

In the mean time, check some photos and video below.

sandisk sansa fuze 01 thumb 150x112 SanDisk Sansa Fuze Previewsandisk sansa fuze 02 thumb 150x112 SanDisk Sansa Fuze Previewsandisk sansa fuze 03 thumb 150x112 SanDisk Sansa Fuze Previewsandisk sansa fuze 04 thumb 150x112 SanDisk Sansa Fuze Previewsandisk sansa fuze 05 thumb 150x112 SanDisk Sansa Fuze Previewsandisk sansa fuze 06 thumb 150x112 SanDisk Sansa Fuze Previewsandisk sansa fuze 07 thumb 150x112 SanDisk Sansa Fuze Previewsandisk sansa fuze 08 thumb 150x112 SanDisk Sansa Fuze Previewsandisk sansa fuze 09 thumb 150x112 SanDisk Sansa Fuze Previewsandisk sansa fuze 10 thumb 150x112 SanDisk Sansa Fuze Previewsandisk sansa fuze 11 thumb 150x112 SanDisk Sansa Fuze Previewsandisk sansa fuze 12 thumb 150x112 SanDisk Sansa Fuze Previewsandisk sansa fuze 13 thumb 150x112 SanDisk Sansa Fuze Previewsandisk sansa fuze 14 thumb 150x112 SanDisk Sansa Fuze Previewsandisk sansa fuze 15 thumb 150x112 SanDisk Sansa Fuze Previewsandisk sansa fuze 16 thumb 150x112 SanDisk Sansa Fuze Previewsandisk sansa fuze 17 thumb 150x112 SanDisk Sansa Fuze Previewsandisk sansa fuze 18 thumb 150x112 SanDisk Sansa Fuze Previewsandisk sansa fuze 19 thumb 150x112 SanDisk Sansa Fuze Previewsandisk sansa fuze 20 thumb 150x112 SanDisk Sansa Fuze Previewsandisk sansa fuze 21 thumb 150x112 SanDisk Sansa Fuze Previewsandisk sansa fuze 22 thumb 150x112 SanDisk Sansa Fuze Preview

PromisedPlanet on March 14, 2008 2:46 PM

If possible, please report on how well the microSD card’s contents integrate with the internal memory contents. I expect it’ll be the same as for the Sansa e280 w/card slot, but I’d be interested in knowing if there are any differences. Focusing on both syncing and library browsing. Thanks.

Alex M on March 14, 2008 3:13 PM

If it had rockbox…

locona on March 14, 2008 3:26 PM

Can you please review if there is a sleep function. Also, can I add entire genre/artist/album to the “on the go” playlist, instead of being able to only add individual songs like the previous Sansas.

Skinjob on March 14, 2008 3:38 PM

Please comment on playlist functionality. Also, differences between MSC/MTP. For example, are there features that only work in MTP mode (other than DRM, obviously).

Hristo on March 14, 2008 4:08 PM

As I see from the video the player lacks file/folder browsing… Too bad, it would’ve been a great convenience, I really hoped to see it.

Teleshot on March 14, 2008 4:22 PM

“If possible, please report on how well the microSD card’s contents integrate with the internal memory contents.”I would also like to know this as it may be the deciding factor for me to buy this player.Could you also possibly compare this to the new Creative Zen in terms of sound quality, screen quality, creating on-the-fly playlists, and ease of use?It would be much appreciated.Thank you very much.

Gaurhoth on March 14, 2008 4:40 PM

I’d really appreciate some information on it’s suitability as an audiobook player. The biggest question I have is whether it offers ‘per-file’ automatic bookmarking for audiobooks (such as the Insignia Pilot).

kaZoo on March 14, 2008 6:34 PM

I was yust wondering.In past post there was a video with a women who tells that they combined View and Clip best off abilities.So if its possible could you tell us is it possible to get TV-put like in View and what’s highest video resolution in movies.

EnzoTen (Grahm) on March 14, 2008 7:50 PM

Hey all, thank you for the questions. I will try to factor them all in the final Fuze review, sorry there are too many to answer at the moment. I will post the review once i have had some time to use the player, i dont think its fair to review a player without using it for more than a day like the other media outlets have done. I prefer to be a little more thorough. Thanks for the feedback!But a quick note on sound quality, I have spent most of today switching back and forth between the Clip, Fuze, and iriver E100. The E100 lacks clarity and a sound stage comparatively. I am agreeing more with the initial thoughts where there is no difference between the Clip and the Fuze in terms of sound quality.

dragnandy on March 14, 2008 8:35 PM

how come in the video, the screen looks like its vertical like the view, but in the pictures you provided, the screen looks more like the nano v3. looks like you have a sansa view in the video

dragnandy on March 14, 2008 8:51 PM

sorry for the double post. i didnt realize i did that. anyways, can somebody tell me the dimensions of the fuze? i want to know how thick it is. also, i checked on the sandisk website, and they didnt say. but it said there is 24 HOURS OF VIDEO! yea, right! i know they always add hours when manufactures say how many hours of audio and video, but 24? ridiculous!

shargrath on March 14, 2008 9:04 PM

I don’t suppose you could add an e2X0 into the size comparison pic’s?

ashxcore on March 15, 2008 12:00 AM

I want it, I want it, I want it!!!

EnzoTen (Grahm) on March 15, 2008 12:49 AM

Hristo on March 15, 2008 3:25 AM

Is there a way to browse through the file without using the ID3 info, like using the names of the files or something like that?

Daniel Stenberg on March 15, 2008 7:25 AM

It’ll be very interesting to see if this too is AS3525-based to I’m eager to see you rip it apart and document the internals with nice hires pictures!

Bradavon on March 15, 2008 7:35 AM

I fail to see how it’s really any different to the View? Except it offers less memory and is smaller.How is it any different?It’s good to hear the shimmer has been fixed but I wish people would stop saying the View is rushed, just because you don’t like it it doesn’t mean it was rushed.It doesn’t feel in anyway rushed to me.

Bradavon on March 15, 2008 7:39 AM

The Fuse is fat and ugly too. It also only offers 8Gb which is rubbish compared against the 16Gb or 32Gb View.It also has a smaller screen and sounds like the View is more of their Video Player. In short I fail to see how it’s better?

Bradavon on March 15, 2008 7:41 AM

Good question. I hope the Fuse has an MSC Mode on the Menu again!

EnzoTen (Grahm) on March 15, 2008 9:24 AM

The Fuze is MSC and MTP – Users selectable.

nywytboy69 on March 15, 2008 10:57 AM

The E100 lacks clarity and a sound stage comparatively – THATS DISAPPOINTING! Also, the E100 has sd integration as bad as the Zen. Now, everyone is comparing the sound quality to the clip (while sandisk said they gave the Fuze the same sound chip) but I would like to know how it sounds vs the sansa VIEW. I’m looking towards the View actually and just need this clarified please.

HipHopScribe on March 15, 2008 11:05 AM

Bradavon, you act like it’s supposed to be competing with the View, it’s not supposed to top the View, this is the mid-range player in their line-up between the Clip and View, it’s for people who want a smaller, less video-oriented player for a little less money. I would welcome higher capacity personally, but I’m guessing they wanted to keep the View as their highest capacity option. Also, from what I’ve read the View isn’t as good as the Clip in terms of sound quality, so if this one really sounds as good as the Clip that’s something it has going for it.

kaZoo on March 15, 2008 11:26 AM

Something I don’t get is why SanDisk doesnt offer replaceable battery like in e200 series.And battery duration in Fuze is just 25 hours compared with old V1 models which lasted for 35 hours.I guess they fuzed battery life time from clip and view :P also.Codec support is lacking.Yust mpeg-4 for video:(

Grahm on March 15, 2008 11:46 AM

The Fuze sounds better than the View.I started a FAQ on these questions in the forum. Prerelease Fuze FAQ

dazzler on March 15, 2008 1:02 PM

does the fuse support pod casts and does it auto update them thanks

sassafras on March 15, 2008 9:41 PM

Enzo, you have such nicely manicured hands.

Bradavon on March 15, 2008 10:53 PM

Fantastic MSC/MTPO mode is back on the menus. Any idea if this will be added into the View by way of firmware?

Bradavon on March 15, 2008 10:56 PM

@ HipHopScribe: I know. I was responding to the reviewer who kept comparing it to the View.

freeway8989 on March 15, 2008 11:17 PM

Can we expect a disassembly guide anytime soon?

jeremy on March 17, 2008 12:01 PM

Quick question: I dont suppose it comes with an armband or a beltclip option with it? I am interested in purchasing the mp3 player but I would be exercising with it and wouldnt want to drop it.If it is an accessory item, would Sandisk sell it or would I have to go third-party?

David on March 17, 2008 1:51 PM

I agree with what Bravadon said…. even though this player is a mid-range player to the clip and the view I think it should have come with at least a 16GB version. There are many reasons I can think of for why it should have a higher capacity.1. That would make it an awesome Ipod Nano killer even though it already is with it’s low price compared to the Nano.2. Some of us don’t need an mp3 player for video’s. This player was made mostly for music and a higher capacity in this smaller player would be awesome for bigger music collections in a smaller player than the View.3. Yes the MicroSD slot is nice but come on… we should not have to buy a memory card just to add the same capacity to this player that already comes in the View.4. The Creative Zen comes in a 32GB version…. why couldn’t they do that with this player?5. 8GB’s is almost nothing these days.

PromisedPlanet on March 17, 2008 2:47 PM

re EnzoTen:”A lot of people were concerned about memory integration, the memory is fully integrated into the library. All Sansas integrate the memory card and most likely always will.”Thanks. How about visibility of the microSD card in MTP mode, for syncing?

The Little Guy on March 17, 2008 6:06 PM

Looks great – I like the form factor and overall polish of it.Something NEW: I read on Cnet’s review that you can change the background color. (Still no custom image though.)

Grahm on March 17, 2008 10:35 PM

@ppThe microSD shows up separately as another device called “uSD”

ahrel on March 18, 2008 9:29 AM

Does it only support MicroSD? Or does it support SDHC? If it does support SDHC I’ll be getting one of these on day one. By the time the 32gb SDHC’s come out, this will be a 40gb player for me.I’ve been looking for a player that will use large capacity removable memory for a while now. This could allow me the ability to catalog my mp3′s per card.Still wish Sony’s walkman used the memory stick pro duo’s in addition to onboard though.

kugel. on March 18, 2008 10:43 AM

EnzoTen (Grahm), you definitely need to comment on the 8GB compared to the 8GB View. The prices are not too far away, but the View offers some features more. I really want to know if 8GB Fuze is a better choise than the 8GB (given that the prizes are nearly the same -> not an argument).Thanks

David on March 18, 2008 2:30 PM

I just had a wicked thought……. could you imagine what a freakin’ little awesome player this would be if Sandisk had made this into a 32GB version…. and then you added a 32GB SDHC card to it when they become available……… WOW!!! Maybe we’ll get to that point next year.

Dave on March 20, 2008 11:16 AM

re ahrelSandisk has confirmed that the Fuze supports microSDHC cards. I suspected it would as earlier Sansa models support microSDHC cards. My Sansa Connect gained the ability to support microSDHC cards (versus microSD) with its last firmware update.

Dave on March 20, 2008 11:17 AM

The Little Guy on March 23, 2008 4:32 PM

Something new:-you can view recently added songs.(Not sure if this is on the View also.)-you can change the background color for the menus. (Stated in previous post.)

David on March 25, 2008 11:48 AM

I just called Best Buy this morning and they have the Fuze in their store….. but they said they only have a 4GB model… WTF!? Um, shouldn’t they have a 2GB and the 8GB models as well since this has been/is a highly anticipated device? I want to drive over there so bad in hopes that the guy I talked to just didn’t see the 8GB model that I want, but I don’t want make a wasted trip if indeed they don’t have it. I know these aren’t supposed to be out until April… has anyone else gotten one of these yet?

LordVierge on March 25, 2008 4:10 PM

A Best Buy I was at last week had a 4GB clip mislabeled as a Fuze on the rack so be careful. The price was correct but the actual name was wrong.

David on March 25, 2008 5:19 PM

I called two different stores and one of them said they had a 4GB and 8GB Fuze in store…. of course the one that has it is the one farthest away! I’m anxious to get one of these so I may end up running out this evening to go browsing and see if I can get lucky.

David on March 25, 2008 11:02 PM

I got one!!! The store ended up getting them in earlier this evening. I bought an 8GB model. It’s actually quiet cool looking… the silver color in real life to me is much darker than the pictures I’ve seen online so it really looks nice. This is the first MP3 player I’ve owned since I bought an Iriver 20GB hard drive mp3 player a couple of years ago and compared to it, this mp3 player is awesome!!! My only gripe about it is that I wish it came with a higher capacity…. but other than that I LOVE IT!!!

tojfs7931 on April 12, 2008 8:27 PM

Is it just me but are the other colors of the sansa fuze just too bright and glaring? The only color that looks ok to me is the matt grey and the black.

bob on August 23, 2008 7:13 AM

I bought an 8gb over the internet a while ago and am over the moon about the fuze. it is everything i wanted(only 32gb would be great) and im lovin it. the video isnt great but everything else is cool. the menus are cool but the colors u can change are annoying. the silver is much darker than i thought it would be. bye for now

RoadToadOne on November 6, 2008 6:30 PM

The sound quality on the Sansa Fuze sucks bigtime! Even after fiddling with the EQ, the sound is small, shrill, and tinny. The bass is rdiculously low-key, even with Sony noise-canceling headphones. The other features are nice, but I want something that ROCKS! The Ipod is pricey but no one complains about the sound. Sadder but wiser.

Rusty B. on July 17, 2009 5:06 PM

I just got my Fuze a few days ago. I REALLY like having the SD micro slot. The listening experience with stock earbuds is o.k. and best, but I knew that before I bought it. For me, nothing compares to open air listening on a great set of speakers. The Fuze performs the tasks I am looking for quite easily and it is NOT TIED TO iTUNES. Loading this thing with music, videos, and pics is quite easy. And once again, the SD micro slot allows me to add/switch my music incredibly fast.