Iriver E150 / E200- Improved Version of the E100

iriver e100 new Iriver E150 / E200  Improved Version of the E100

I have some strong words for the iriver E100 and to sum up my review in two blunt words: epic fail. By any other means it would have been just a mediocre MP3 player, but I use these harsh words because I expect much more from iriver.

It seems they realized their mistake to cheap out on the E100 and are revamping the player with an aluminum case and a better LCD screen. Additionally, they are getting rid of the external speakers- this being good news since they may make for a slimmer design and really the speakers were pretty weak by standards to begin with. So all in all it should be a very nice upgrade to be released sometime at the end of summer.

[Crave]

Kamil on April 24, 2008 9:40 PM

The removal of the speakers is good. But iriver also needs to integrate the two flash memory sources TOGETHER.As it stands, the microSD slot and internal flash are completely separate, so browsing through mp3s will only show the mp3s based on which source is selected. This is REALLY stupid.iRiver also needs to change the orientation of the d-pad, up/down skips tracks……??? what the…? Its completely opposite of every other mp3 player on the market. Why?If the speakers are being removed, id like to see a better or bigger battery put in place, 25 hours of battery life is good, but it could do a lot better, any by that, i mean it could perform like a sony (36 hours!)Fix that, and those MINOR details and irivers got itself a good product to throw against competitors, i was VERY excited to see it, especially by its aesthetic design, its very nice (i really do hope they dont switch to aluminum, i like the plastic, the brown colored E100 is my favourite).

whoami on April 24, 2008 10:21 PM

I believe its “epic failure”. Please proofread.

ptwk on April 25, 2008 2:23 AM

Whilst “failure” might be grammatically correct, “epic fail” is a popular internet slang expression and there’s nothing wrong with it in this context :)

GrahmSkee on April 25, 2008 4:43 AM

@ptwk, thanks for defending me against the grammar nazis. Indeed that was the usage i was going for. =)

shoken on April 25, 2008 9:47 PM

I just read the review and a categorical “epic fail” isn’t the impression one gets. If that’s what you really think of the product, I wouldn’t have expected the review to sum up with the words “decent player”, and to be generally positive with mild, diplomatic caveats sprinkled throughout.

James on April 26, 2008 8:26 PM

@Shoken, he states in this post, “By any other means it would have been just a mediocre MP3 player, but I use these harsh words because I expect much more from iriver.”I don’t believe it was so much that it was a bad player, but that a company of iRiver’s prestige is expected to put out a good player. In this case you get a still kinda expensive okay plastic-covered mediocre player from an expensive brand name company.That’s epic-fail.

James on April 26, 2008 8:31 PM

@Whoami, I believe it’s “it’s”, not “its”!PLEZ PRUFRED!

lifesavings25dawler on April 28, 2008 11:41 PM

I hope the new E100sWork it harder make it better do it faster makes us strongerlol

Jutlanders on April 29, 2008 12:23 AM

LOL. It is stonger. :)

Derrick on June 4, 2008 4:10 PM

The use of “Epic Fail” in a review published on the internet is perfectly acceptable, although I do think it’s a bit harsh for the E100, which was a nice attempt but, admittedly, could use some upgrades. I for one am looking forward to the E150/E200 ( does anybody know what the difference is going to be? Storage capacity? ) since I finally bricked my H140 and need a replacement that plays Vorbis. Hopefully they’ll be out before too long and available at a reasonable price.

Sarah on September 3, 2008 5:02 PM

I’d like to get my hands on this, but it seems it’s not even out yet. I’ve read news reports that it will be out “this summer” and summer is nearly over. I’ve been meaning to buy the e100 but not if there’s something that’s better (and still as cheap) coming out soon.

radu on August 17, 2009 3:52 PM

ive seen some photos of the e150 player..and it seems iriver dindt taked off the speakers..to be more exactly this player has now 2 speakersi want to know if i can cheange the theme…its so..simple..e100 had a better one,it had an ipod look

urbanbicyclist on September 24, 2009 7:55 PM

I have the E100, As much as I was really disappointed with the unit (see notes below, I bought 2 before I even tried them) the speakers are my favourite part. I play music through them when I have the iriver in my pocket and I’m cycling (bike polo on a court with team mates, not in traffic, and I still have to be able to hear)I really liked the E100 for it’s FM Radio, USB plug, Built in Mic, Line In, and Card Slot, but it really failed on FM Reception, UI responsiveness and non alphabetical sorting of file names and accellerated seeking through really long tracks like podcasts.

clueless on October 6, 2009 12:41 AM

I currently have a creative zen that after three years is now playing up. As it’s still under warranty the retailer wants to replace it with the Iriver E150. Will i be disappointed or not? i just want something that won’t play up on me and be easy to use.

Tim on October 12, 2009 2:45 AM

I got the new iriver e200 to replace my old iriver e100. It doesn’t disappoint me. For ppl who is disappointed with the E100, Iriver fixed all the issue on the new player. I believer you will no longer feel disappointed.

cloudface on October 28, 2009 2:44 AM

Why isn’t there an actual review of the E150 on this site but just this “it’s supposed to be better than the E100 and it’s coming soon” post?I’m about to go buy one and want an actual review but your site has made me do an epic facepalm.Fail at being epic Anythingbutipod.com.

Sean on November 5, 2009 1:23 AM

Will the E200 16GB available soon?I found it in here and it is still unavailable.http://www.warehouse123.com/store/product_information.php?pid=21340&ptext=iRiver-E200

Libor on November 26, 2009 3:50 PM

I have E150 for couple of weeks and my feeling about it isn’t very good. Why?1. it is terribly S…L…O…W when navigating in menu, scrolling through song list, skipping to next song while playing etc. I don’t understand why.2. buttons aren’t very well designed. You have to press more than it look like enough. You feel when it clicked, but you have to press more than that.3. internal speakers are so quiet that they are hardly useful. You must be in very quiet environment to be able to listen music this way.4. No way to create/update a playlist without external SW.5. It doesn’t sort anything. You need iRiver Plus SW, to order songs by name. No way to order other stuff like genre, albums, etc.6. the combination of the first and second point drives me crazy.Although HW is quite OK, firmware is too bad. Of course I have the latest one.

bala on December 2, 2009 10:57 AM

MY IRIVER E150 GOT HANGED WHEN I TRIED TO VIEW THE PICTURES I SAVED …HOW TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM ??

john on December 21, 2009 8:36 PM

dear friends i recently bought an iriver E200 it is nothing like it seems. nice look but a very wek performance battery is very very bad listen to me and never buy an i river so the company solve the probles it has

Tim on January 18, 2010 10:33 AM

Re: SeanThe 16GB is now available for US$168.00

xander on April 12, 2010 11:02 AM

i have an iriver E200 4gb internal and expandable micro sd slot…i wanna ask if some one could help me if you can download themes and screen savers? plzzz i nid it badly….thnx