MobiBLU Announces the Cube3

mobiblu cube3 MobiBLU Announces the Cube3

MobiBLU Cubes were popular back in the days and introduced us to tiny mp3 players long before the Zen Stone or Sansa Clip even hit the drawing board. The series has been dead for a while now, so it’s surprising to see that it’s now back in the shape of the Cube3.

The Cube3 is physically similar to it’s predecessors and the specs are also familiar. The player will come in 2GB capacity and sport both a FM radio with recording and a normal voice recorder. The player itself is only 1x1x1 inches big, but the tiny OLED screen will still support both video and photo viewing. Other features include SRS WOW and TruBass sound enhancements along with a standard equalizer. The Cube3 will arrive May 1st with a price tag of $99.

[MobiBLU via Engadget]

helpme123 on April 8, 2008 5:30 PM

that’s pretty cool but who would want to watch video or look at images with such a small screen? thats just my opinion though…

The Little Guy on April 8, 2008 6:03 PM

The Sansa Clip is just so much better (in terms of quality and price). I also think that the screen is much too small for video and picture viewing.

Ben on April 8, 2008 9:40 PM

It’s a novel idea, but lacks practicality…or anything other benifits, aside from the fact that it’s shaped like a cube.

sassafrass on April 8, 2008 10:44 PM

haha, that screen is like 2/3 of an inch big! Theres no way you can see any decent photo or video on that tiny thing! bytheway- thats not an opinion; thats a fact :)

slicknick1986 on April 9, 2008 1:19 AM

I have the first version of the Cube and although it no longer works, I enjoyed it for use while running. Even though its so tiny, for what its worth they did manage to create a fairly usable interface. The sound quality was also better than I expected. Unfortunately, the device is plagued with bugs and I could never get firmware updates to work. It died out on me after about a year — the FM radio still works, but playing MP3s results in a horrid “screeching” noise, and the OSD has become a garbled mess. It seems these issues were fairly common with the player, at least the first version of it.The Cube3 doesn’t seem all that much different to me on paper, in terms of specs or features. There’s probably much better choices for tiny players these days, unless you’ve got the money to burn and want it for the novelty.

stnever on April 9, 2008 12:41 PM

I also still have my gen1 cube (still working fine for me, then again i never attempted a firmware upgrade…)Now, I love the cube design, but i can’t see the real advantages of the Cube3 over the Cube2 or even my trusty Cube1. With other players on the dozens-of-GB range, why couldn’t they exchange the screen (i admit viewing stuff there is probably awful) for extra space, maybe stick a standard USB port there so I wouldn’t need to carry my cable around, or something else?was kinda expecting more =/

dschafar on April 10, 2008 2:21 AM

About 35$ if you buy it direct from China….it gets cheaper if you buy more.No innovation in this Player…Its a shame that some people beliefe that these Players are invented by mobiBLU. They placed a order for 1000 pieces and up,let them prnt their Name on it and thats all.

dschafar on April 10, 2008 2:22 AM