Creative Zen X-Fi Disassembled

creative zen x fi teardown main Creative Zen X Fi Disassembled

For those who were wondering what’s inside the new Creative Zen X-Fi, here is your chance for a peek. The Zen X-Fi opened up similarly as the Zen did with clips around the edges holding the face to the back. However, this time the face separates from the backing with the circuit boards and such attached to the back plastic plate. Also this time around there is a little bit of glue applied to each clip holding it together; this likely the reason the Zen X-Fi feels a little sturdier than the Zen.

I would only recommend opening your Zen X-Fi for repair and not just for fun since you may not get it back together with the same tight feel it had before. If you are planning on surgery I would recommend checking out the Zen teardown video for some pointers on getting the case cracked. Otherwise below are lots of pics of the wireless player splayed for your viewing pleasure.

Also be sure to check out the Zen X-Fi review.

creative zen x fi teardown 01 thumb 150x112 Creative Zen X Fi Disassembledcreative zen x fi teardown 02 thumb 150x112 Creative Zen X Fi Disassembledcreative zen x fi teardown 03 thumb 150x112 Creative Zen X Fi Disassembledcreative zen x fi teardown 04 thumb 150x112 Creative Zen X Fi Disassembledcreative zen x fi teardown 05 thumb 150x112 Creative Zen X Fi Disassembledcreative zen x fi teardown 06 thumb 150x112 Creative Zen X Fi Disassembledcreative zen x fi teardown 07 thumb 150x112 Creative Zen X Fi Disassembledcreative zen x fi teardown 08 thumb 150x112 Creative Zen X Fi Disassembledcreative zen x fi teardown 09 thumb 150x112 Creative Zen X Fi Disassembledcreative zen x fi teardown 10 thumb 150x112 Creative Zen X Fi Disassembledcreative zen x fi teardown 11 thumb 150x112 Creative Zen X Fi Disassembledcreative zen x fi teardown 12 thumb 150x112 Creative Zen X Fi Disassembledcreative zen x fi teardown 14 thumb 150x112 Creative Zen X Fi Disassembledcreative zen x fi teardown 13 thumb 150x112 Creative Zen X Fi Disassembledcreative zen x fi teardown 15 thumb 150x112 Creative Zen X Fi Disassembledcreative zen x fi teardown 16 thumb 150x112 Creative Zen X Fi Disassembledcreative zen x fi teardown 17 thumb 150x112 Creative Zen X Fi Disassembledcreative zen x fi teardown 18 thumb 150x112 Creative Zen X Fi Disassembledcreative zen x fi teardown 19 thumb 150x112 Creative Zen X Fi Disassembledcreative zen x fi teardown 20 thumb 150x112 Creative Zen X Fi Disassembledcreative zen x fi teardown 21 thumb 150x112 Creative Zen X Fi Disassembledcreative zen x fi teardown 22 thumb 150x112 Creative Zen X Fi Disassembled

dragnandy on July 20, 2008 10:07 PM

very nice. few days after its release and you guys already opened it up. grahm this is your own zen x-fi right? do you use it as your main player? or what do you use mainly?

Feng on July 21, 2008 2:23 AM

omg you guys are my hero!!! first day review is broken into already!!! :) my question is, can someone post a guide to replacing the zen v m hdd to compact flash?

Grahm on July 21, 2008 9:48 AM

@dragnandyYes it is mine. I have been using it as my main player for the last week or so. But im not sure i have a “main player” although the Sansa Clip and the Zune are frequent in my rotation. However, i could easily use the X-Fi as my main player since it does play nicely with my Shure SE530s.

Barron on July 21, 2008 11:25 AM

Does it have an x-fi chip or is it just software.

keybowvio on July 21, 2008 9:22 PM

^^^Yeah, that’s what we really want to know, is there a chip in there?^^^

sundog on July 23, 2008 12:05 PM

I feel so… dirty, somehow.

srozzman on July 24, 2008 7:11 AM

It doesnt have an X-fi chip in it, for it would drain the battery way too fast; instead, the X-Fi features are just software emulating the effects of an X-fi chip

The_Handy_Andy on July 24, 2008 6:06 PM

not knowing what an x-fi chip looks like but looking at the PCB of this player and the PCB from the zen there seems to be at least 2 additional chips (the square ones). One is the gold/bronze coloured one. I am going to guess here and suggest that this could be an x-fi chip. I don’t think its something to do with the wifi as I read somewhere tonight that the existing zen chip already had this in it, it just wasn’t implemented.

sam on August 1, 2008 6:42 PM

if wanna just open it into half u could have given it to me

BPK on August 15, 2008 10:14 AM

Does this support Napster like most of the other Creative products?

jasmine on September 17, 2008 7:54 PM

hey grahm my names jas & i got my zen x-fi about 3 weeks ago & still cant seem to download songs on it, how would i download songs on it wut should i use…?

Dave C. on October 4, 2008 11:39 AM

Testing.

Dave C. on October 4, 2008 11:43 AM

Some have raised the issue of battery replacement. From the above pictures, a ruler, and research at a local electronics outlet, it seems no big problem to get a two-lead Li-ion of proper size to wire in. Cell phone replacement, or “recharger”. (Lenmark is big in that area.) Advantage: the replacements I’ve seen have somewhat greater capacity -

Si on November 25, 2008 7:37 AM

Can anyone advise how tricky it would be to replace the screen, I can quite see from the pics how it connects? And any ideas where I can get a replacement?!cheersSi

Joe on January 13, 2009 1:18 AM

I broke the screen on my zen x-fi. Could I use the screen from a zen as a replacement? Since the two players are very similar do they use the same screen and connector? I’m figuring that it would be cheaper to get a used zen to harvest the part…

Coolicer on January 29, 2009 11:04 AM

I’m wondering, what opamp does the Zen X-Fi use?

Eric on July 15, 2009 7:07 PM

Will the screen of the Zen 8GB fit the Zen X-Fi, they look the same?

Eric on July 15, 2009 7:11 PM

Sorry just noticed the post by Joe above, same question.

Filip on September 15, 2009 2:56 AM

THANKS DUDE!!!!my keypad was broken down and i didn’t know where to put the red and black cable, now i have fixed it myself and its working again!!!!(better then using a philips hdd120 :P )

Bob on October 27, 2009 9:31 PM

Don’t supose you looked to see who made the speaker in the X-FI did you (it wouldn’t be creative as they don’t produce their own (speaker) drivers)?

Priyu on April 4, 2010 4:11 AM

Have a broken screne of 8GB X Fi, Kindly advice

Clare on May 18, 2010 1:23 PM

bought with instruction and VITAL tool from ebay:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160435194677#ht_663wt_1135Seller infoMember idrdvm777 ( Feedback Score Of 1604)100% Positive feedbackit was an 8GB x-fi and took about 30 minutes to do.