Cowon iAudio 7 Disassembled

iaudio7 dis main Cowon iAudio 7 Disassembled

I got an email from abi reader Reece saying “i couldnt be bothered sending my iAudio 7 to korea to repair, as i had broken the menu button off inside the player. i decided to give it a crack myself, and i fixed it fine.”. Massive props to Reece for taking matters into his own hands with a little bit DIY and many thanks to him for sharing his slide show of this endeavor.

If you need instructions on you probably shouldn’t be taking it apart. Cracking this bad boy open requires a small screw driver and a little bit of patience. If you forget how to put it back together perhaps these photos will help. Thanks again Reece!

The iAudio 7 review, if you missed it. Also in related news, just yesterday Rockbox dev Daniel posted a photo of the i7 with custom code running on its way to getting Rockboxed.

iaudio 7 dis 01 thumb 150x112 Cowon iAudio 7 Disassemblediaudio 7 dis 02 thumb 150x112 Cowon iAudio 7 Disassemblediaudio 7 dis 03 thumb 150x112 Cowon iAudio 7 Disassemblediaudio 7 dis 04 thumb 150x112 Cowon iAudio 7 Disassemblediaudio 7 dis 05 thumb 150x112 Cowon iAudio 7 Disassemblediaudio 7 dis 06 thumb 150x112 Cowon iAudio 7 Disassemblediaudio 7 dis 07 thumb 150x112 Cowon iAudio 7 Disassemblediaudio 7 dis 08 thumb 150x112 Cowon iAudio 7 Disassemblediaudio 7 dis 09 thumb 150x112 Cowon iAudio 7 Disassemblediaudio 7 dis 10 thumb 150x112 Cowon iAudio 7 Disassemblediaudio 7 dis 11 thumb 150x112 Cowon iAudio 7 Disassemblediaudio 7 dis 12 thumb 150x112 Cowon iAudio 7 Disassemblediaudio 7 dis 13 thumb 150x112 Cowon iAudio 7 Disassemblediaudio 7 dis 14 thumb 150x112 Cowon iAudio 7 Disassemblediaudio 7 dis 15 thumb 150x112 Cowon iAudio 7 Disassemblediaudio 7 dis 16 thumb 150x112 Cowon iAudio 7 Disassemblediaudio 7 dis 17 thumb 150x112 Cowon iAudio 7 Disassemblediaudio 7 dis 18 thumb 150x112 Cowon iAudio 7 Disassembled

Baines93 on August 12, 2008 7:36 PM

Nice. Shame you have already taken apart the d2. Stripped mine, replaced the screen and the casing with the lovely white casing on the newer broken d2 i bought for the screen. Cost me $85 vs $90 + shipping, and i now have a non dab d2 which i can use to test 3.xx and 4.xx stuff, a nicer white d2 (swapped housings) however it does have a cracked screen and missing power slider, but i got a crystal case with the one i bought to use for parts too, so a no brainer money wise, and was easy, i wasnt without my player, didnt have to ship it around the world and risk more damadge, and got more stuff for less money! SELF REPAIRS FTW!

joe on August 13, 2008 12:55 AM

Is the telechips the reason why it sounds so good? Or is it the codec?

Alex M on August 13, 2008 1:00 AM

you’re welcome, Baines.

Reece on August 13, 2008 5:18 AM

hey abi, thanks for posting the pictures.i am currently having a few problems with it now, it decides to freeze every now and then, or it wont turn on properly and the screen will go all liney. i reckon this waas because i disconnected the battery, and it may have corrupted a firmware or something? or it may have suffered (am hoping not) from ESD :( it works sometimes, but im going to reflash it with the firmware again, and if that doesnt fix it then ill wait for the rockbox port :P might just be buying myself a cowon D2 if i cant fix it :)

Nik, to joe on August 18, 2008 7:46 AM

It’s definitely not telechips what makes it sound so good, some other kinda crappy-sounded gadgets, like Samsung YP-K3, have the same TCC771L chip.

Kanamin on August 28, 2008 10:24 PM

Funny, I saw this a few days ago, and today my vol – button goes bad. Looks like the same problem (surface mount switch came off). The battery is huge! No wonder I never need to charge it! I’m getting ideas, the silver band around my I7 is getting really boring…

mcv on September 5, 2008 7:12 AM

The screen on my ia7 is cracked. Does the screen on this disassembled model have any manufacturer information? Maybe I can buy my own replacement..??

dominus on November 12, 2008 5:29 PM

I’d like to know something about the screen too… The on/off button on mine got stuck so I sent it for repairs to Cowon America covered in tons of bubblewrap to be sure it would arrive safely. They later tell me that my otherwise fine unit that I always carry in a leather case for protection, has a cracked screen. Those crooks want to charge me $70 for repairs, almost the price of a new unit, because they say the warranty doesn’t cover physical damages.

Kim Boyum on December 25, 2008 3:37 AM

Grahm,Thank you for the slide show of the iaudio 7 player. I have repaired miniature electronics gear my entire life….I’m 61 now. Often, if people would only realize that they do not have to be a “Rocket Scientist” to repair many consumer devices themselves, they could save money, frustration and disappointment. While being proud of their cunning and technical abilities.Many times it just takes a little patience, the correct tools and enough “Guts/bravery” to take the device apart.Thanks again Grahm. I think articles like yours encourage people to think for themselves. Bravo!

Kim Boyum on December 25, 2008 3:41 AM

OOPS! Sorry Reece, I forgot to thank you for the slide show.Merry Christmas.P.S. I like this site!KIM…….

Erik J on December 25, 2008 5:59 PM

HelloVery nice photos!I have a small problem thou… I can hear the battery jumping about if i carefulle shake the player. I would like to fix this.However, the screws holding the case together seems to be glued there. I cant get them out, and I’m afraid I might damage the player when trying.Are they supposed to be this hard to remove, or am i just making some stupid mistake? Also, is it a “standard” screw? (What i wonder is, is it possible to get replacements?)Thanks for the nice photos and the great site!//Erik

U Tibi on January 6, 2009 10:38 AM

Erik I am having the same problems with the screws i broke 2 screwdrivers while trying to make them move but the f***ing things are glued there .I stop`d trying and bought a U5 i recommend you do the same thing if possible.U. TibiP.S. this site rocks

James on April 25, 2009 3:58 PM

Where can you find a replacement battery for this thing. I am not about to spend 50 dollar for a rip off iaudio battery. Any 2.5×1 inch battery with 3.7 v lithium availible online?The battery is down to 9 hour with 1 year. It was 50 on a single charge new.

sknight on August 16, 2009 4:50 AM

Thanks for this guide!My i7′s screen has recently crapped out and I wanted to know how the screen is secured to the board and if there are any pitfalls in removing it without damage. I’m going to try and get one from a donor i7 or i6 and put it in mine.

Calin on October 30, 2009 6:44 PM

Love this player, but they made the CHEAPEST, lamest plastic screen for it. Mine just broke for the SECOND time, from just wearing it in my pocket. More fragile than any phone I’ve ever seen or heard of, and it’s really a shame that they took all the effort with the sound quality, the extended life on the battery, and then placed it in this eggshell of a casing.Do not buy them, or if you absolutely must, ask specifically, if a cracked screen is covered by the warranty. It won’t but you can still ask eh ? :D

Testeagle on November 26, 2009 2:06 PM

Gday Reece, saw your handy work and thought i’d give you a shout..i have a similar issue with my 7 at the moment, only all three mini-switches have busted free and were rattling around inside. I cracked her open and see that on the flip side of the switches are two pins. These pins slot into the holes on the board..right. But do they just “click” in or is a bit of fine solder work required ?Hope to have a few fotos of the adventure..regards Testie

Russ on January 19, 2010 12:36 PM

Thanks for putting your images and info up. I to had issues with the battery. I opened my unit (16GB) with difficulty. The screws heads stripped, so I drilled them out carefully in order to open an remove the broken screws – threads are too tight. Was able to replace the screws with metric M1.2 SIZE, 10 MM LENGTH, .25 MM PITCH, a bit shorter but they work.I pulled out the battery and proceeded to look for a replacement. The funny thing is that either the manipulation of the soft case battery or the re-insertion of the connector has made it better. The battery seems to hold the charge longer now. The connector is not that secure, it would easily pop loose when I was moving the unit halves around. I put an elastic band on it – silicone to hold together for a better connection.