Generation 6: Archos 5, Archos 7, and Internet Media Tablet

archos gen 6 Generation 6: Archos 5, Archos 7, and Internet Media Tablet

Archos has just officially announced the their 6th generation of PMPs and even making a splash into the world of 3G connectivity. The interface if felt was a bit awkward on the last generation 605 {link}, mainly due to the fact that it couldn’t quite make up its mind to be touch screen or tactile with the side buttons. It’s not that these hybrid touch/tactile interfaces don’t work, it just didn’t work with the Archos UI. That said I’m glad to see that Archos picked a side and went all touch.

All around it looks like it’s a further refined version of the 5th generation PMPs. This is good news since I thought that the 605 was a fantastic jack of all trades PMP, but it just felt a bit rough.

The Archos 5 & 7 are the same basic player with different screen sizes- 5” & 7” as their name suggests. These screens have nice 800×480 16.7 million color screens. Since these are primarily video players their capacities are the largest on the market with 60GB and 250GB drives on the Archos 5 and 160GB and 320GB on the Archos 7.

The Internet Media Tablet or Archos 5g is a 30GB version of the Archos 5 with the addition of an HSPDA 3G cellular modem. HSDPA is what AT&T and T-Moblie and pretty much every other forign carrier use. Verizon nor Sprint will be able to tap in to the Archos 5g. It will be interesting to see how Archos plans on selling the 5g in the states and if they end up partnering with any of the US carriers.

The official site is up and running at archos.com but you can also check out some real world pics at generationMP3 they have had it in their hands for a few days now and have been running it thought the paces. Greg from GenMP3 was pretty excited about it and told me that the interface is very quick and very smooth- just an overall better experience than the previous generation. I should have one in my hands pretty soon and I will give you the full scoop on how it stacks up. In the mean time check out the hands on at GenMP3.

IMG 5645 thumb 150x100 Generation 6: Archos 5, Archos 7, and Internet Media TabletIMG 5656 thumb 150x100 Generation 6: Archos 5, Archos 7, and Internet Media TabletIMG 5670 thumb 150x100 Generation 6: Archos 5, Archos 7, and Internet Media Tablet

James Forelo on August 20, 2008 2:59 AM

Ah yes I saw this on Gizmodo.If it has battery life comparable to the mainstream competition (Zune, iPod), then DO WANT

Antoine on August 20, 2008 3:52 AM

*_*

Antoine on August 20, 2008 4:37 AM

Can we win this one by posting a comment ? :p

dragnandy on August 20, 2008 5:43 AM

man, that 7″ one is HUGE!!haha antoine, your comment is funny.

Sh4ft on August 20, 2008 5:54 AM

Man, i would sooo get one of these puppys.looks gorgine, and ill be taking a llok at the spec l8er on,Antoine, yes i do wish we coulkd win by posting comments :P

Gufona on August 20, 2008 9:12 AM

The Fuze needs yet to win me over (pundit intended!): looks a bit on the cheap side.that said, looks can be deceiving and I admit that the features are much better than the competition for the price Fuze is offered at :)

JonathanC on August 20, 2008 12:06 PM

I’ve heard the sound quality wasn’t so good on the previous models. Since all I really want out of life right now is a large capacity player with good sound quality and a decent web browser, I’m dying to know if it sounds any better than the previous ones.

JonathanC on August 20, 2008 12:10 PM

James Forelo on August 20, 2008 3:30 PM

Damn, 12/4 hours for music/video? I think I’ll pass, my PSP can do better, sadly.

apoorva on August 20, 2008 4:20 PM

stick to my zen vision m….trust cowon anyday

Chepe Centro on August 21, 2008 2:27 AM

Kinda bulky, don’t you think?I’ll pick portability anyday.

Artofwar420 on August 21, 2008 4:45 AM

Wow, might be worth the wait. What’s next, an Archos-phone? I’m down!

Jon on August 21, 2008 7:24 AM

Well the PSP has a smaller 480×272 screen and plays through flash, where as these has bigger and higher resolution screens and plays back through harddrive.Battery life could be better, but it wouldn’t be fair to compare the two. Both are in a completely different market.

Jon on August 21, 2008 7:26 AM

oftenoily on August 22, 2008 12:37 AM

What..no bluetooth..all this and still tied to a headset? How is that possible that there isn’t bluetooth

zippy on August 22, 2008 11:14 AM

@JonathanC: Greg from gen.mp3 asked the question to Archos, and it appears that they upgraded the audio chip.

mazen on August 23, 2008 5:28 AM

archos is waste of time without 1080p beside you have to pay for plug-in. what the hell.

Da on August 24, 2008 4:53 AM

Archos made a physically attractive device?! What next? A Cowon MP3 player with good interphase? A Zune software that’s flexible? An Apple product that’s not horribly over-priced?The previous generations were too ugly for my taste…. but wow, this one is really tempting.

Tim on August 27, 2008 5:43 PM

I have been shopping around recently trying to find a UK site where i can pre-order the Archos 5 120GB to secure one for myself. After days and days of browsing i came accross the following site and prices and i pre-ordered from here once i had doubled checked there was nowhere else i could buy. I thought i’d share with you:the site is http://www.idotech.co.ukArchos 5 60GB – £259.99Archos 5 120GB – £299.99Archos 5 250GB – £339.99It is only available to pre-order at the mo because it doesnt come out until mid-september.I can’t wait until mine arrives!

a ninny mouse on August 29, 2008 10:02 AM

the question is, is it touch screen also, to allow the use of a stylus, like its predacessor archos 605 wifi?

sprockkets on September 8, 2008 4:56 AM

No mkv or vorbis support? C’mon Archos, this isn’t 2003.Shame. They had the best mp3 recorders around, the Gmini 120 and 220 series, for mic/line in/spdif/radio.

jesus on September 16, 2008 1:55 PM

hi i want to know if the archos internet tablet generation 7 320gb can record video and take photos?

Flash on September 18, 2008 5:35 PM

MKV is a container, this guy plays h.264 with either AAC or AC3 audio (with plugins) just remux your mkv to mp4 container and you should be good to go. Mine arrives today, I’ll test that out. at 720p.

Davemhead on September 20, 2008 11:53 PM

One huge flaw and it is a deal breaker for me…You cannot access the Internet at any of the pay wifi places. (Starbucks, Barnes & Noble & McDonalds, etc…)I tried all of these places today and it did not work. I called Arhos tech support and after a while in the phone and being put on hold for a while they said that the Archos 5 is not compatible with these wifi connections. (like she didn’t already know this off the top of her head-I just investigated this a little and found out the same Archos had the same problem with the 5th generation series) So, the only place you can us your Archos 5 to access the Internet is at home (if you have wifi) and one of the very rare free places. (The only free places where I live are Panera Bread and our Library) This is a huge flaw and it needs to be addressed immediately. I am very disappointed with Arhcos because of this. the rest of the player is great but they really dropped the ball with this limited-Internet fiasco.Does anyone know if you can access the Internet at these places when using an Ipod Touch? If it does, please email me and let me know. Davemhead at aol.comIf that works, I will have to make the switch. I don’t want to switch but Archos’ inability to provide me with what we really need leaves me no choice. What good is wifi if you can’t access it anywhere!?

Blueduck3285 on October 11, 2008 4:49 AM

I happen to have recently purchase an Archos 5 250gig and have had NO troubles accessing any wireless internet sites as of yet. However I am not a Starbucks goober so I will never waste the awesomeness that is Archos 5 testing the validity of this so called “huge flaw”. On to something more meaningful (Davemhead complaint fails to mention all the can do’s and focus’s on one failure, how about an actual review?).This bad boy does everything! No Ipod can compare in HDD space, Compatibility with music/video file types, web/email capabilities, TV recording/playback, and the all new HD HDMI output from the DVR station. Yes some proprietary Plug-in’s need to be purchased to access some of the best features as well as purchase of the DVR station for TV playback but to me worth every penny. As for the Archos 5 250gig’s “Bulkiness”, yeah, but its a 250gig… and yet still fits in my pocket when I’m working for the man. On the sound quality aspect, if your listening on $5 headset its going to sound like junk. I couldn’t be more pleased with the sound quality. oh and yes, you can use a stylus (used one from my PDA) on the device but does not come with one (ordered some from Archos and should be here soon).Some of the only con’s I can come up with (actually trying to find some) are as fallows; Battery life (Gen 6 Archos 5 gets about 12 hours music play time as well as roughly 4 hours of video play time which is close in hand with the Ipod Touch’s reported battery life. One thing to keep in mind is that the screen on this all-in-one PMP is “HighDef” so it cuts through your battery life like a hot knife n butter), proprietary Plug-in’s and Addon’s can get pricey, Archos 5 250gig at around $449 (yeah its kinda much but consider Ipod Touch 32gig at $399, you tell me), some features (email app) are still in beta (sometimes hangs and restarts is all), and lastly the screen doesn’t compare to the Ipod Touch’s multi-touch capabilities but then again I have never needed a second finger… ;-PAll in all, best buy I have ever made in regards to a PMP that does it all! Ipod Touch, eat your silicone heart out.(By the way, the Archos 7 max’s 320gig HDD *drool*, as for if it can take photo’s… with the helmet cam attachment* I am sure it does)*Helmet Cam Attachment records Video(generation specific along with the plug-in’s and other attachments)I think I have covered most questions. Thanks for playing.

Darren on January 31, 2009 2:17 PM

Utter garbage. I bought the Archos 7 4 days ago and while it looks really pretty in the box the excitement wore off very quickly. Navigating the menus too quickly causes it to freeze while it ‘thinks’ and often just crashes entirely. Now it won’t even boot up and my computer USB hub won’t even detect it anymore. Then there is the cost. By the time you buy the accessory docks and plug in’s so it functions the way Archos claims you’ll have easily paid for it twice.Avoid like the plague

James on March 12, 2009 9:02 AM

I bought the Archos 7 a couple of weeks ago from QVC it included the DVR docking station and carrying case all for £352 not bad price I thought until I tried using it. The docking station didn’t work and the archos 7 its self freezes and does not charge so I returned it and asked for a replacement I thought I’d give it the benefit of the dought. Well I wish I hadn’t the docking station works now of a fashion it plays back ok but if I connect it to my cable box ( which is why you by the docking station ) the picture is terrible the sound is out of sync. Tried all the setting and even gone through all the tutorials on the Archos sit. This unit still does not charge properly. Also another major problem it has is the archos has to be docked to allow you to watch TV as the docking station is plugged in between the cable box and TV this is rubbish what happens if one of you want the device to take out and someone want to watch TV. They can’tI really like the concept of this device but it doesn’t live up to the hype mines on its way back again. Maybe look again in a few more years when they have ironed out the problems.

les on May 10, 2009 9:49 AM

can anybody please help me i can not get my archos 7 to link up to my router (netgeardg834g v3)when my archos ask,s for wpa code i put in mac code from bottom of my router , is this correct ?

les on May 10, 2009 10:14 AM

the reason that your archos 7 was freezing so much is because you need to download latest updates from net ? i had that problem but now my archos 7 is brill i would not be without it but as i said in my other post i just need to get it to work on the wi fi

boogybag on June 8, 2009 3:07 PM

les, your wpa is thhe encryyption key to your router. i’m assuming you have one set up, or you should at least. If not, you haave an open network, and there should be an option for that. Anyone can view what is being transmitted between you and the router without encryption. The mac on the bottom is the physical hardware address of you router. All network hardware has this. I use mac address filtering to restrict access to my router. Letting only pc’s with ‘allowwd’ mac addresses to connect.

joelaf on August 19, 2009 2:22 PM

Got one recently for $200 ( + $2 express shipping) from newegg. This thing rocks. I bought a 250G passport for $60 from WalMart. I currently have 1400 songs and videos on this player. I won a Ipod 8G Nano free, but I prefer the Archos most of the time. iPod only goes on my morning walks. BTW, I have at last count almost 30 mp3 players, most in the $5 – $ 20 range. I’m looking to donate them to our troops soon.

lloyd79pr on August 30, 2009 2:14 PM

I have the Archos 5 250GB and is the best. If u think is too much go to Amazon. I paid 250 dollars for the 250GB. A dollar for a GB. Can’t beat it.

jimmy on October 30, 2009 6:31 AM

I have just bought the archos 7 and seems to be unable to browse the internet thought i got it to be connected to the wifi by manually entering the codes.Please could anyone help

Lor on November 27, 2009 1:38 PM

Help…I cannot get my dvr station to connect correctly to record programs. I’m using a VCR as my tuner. Movies on my Archos 7 will play on the TV but I get a picture displaying a TV and DVR station showing an “X” over the connection cable when I try to record.