$105 Replacement USB Cable

sonycable $105 Replacement USB Cable

Expensive cables in the audio community normally means some ridiculously overpriced cable that’s made with all sorts of fancy materials and is supposed to improve audio quality. Sony has redefined this term with a unbelievable story from my home country of Norway.

A forum member on a Norwegian forum I’m a member of asked if there was a way to get a replacement cable for his Sony NWZ-A828 MP3 player. I replied to him that this wasn’t available off Sonystyle in Norway, so he’d have to contact Sony to get a replacement cable. The answer he got from them was to buy the cable directly from Sony’s part provider in Norway. Price? 605 NOK with taxes and shipping, which at the moment is just about 105 USD. I’ve discussed proprietary cables before, but this is one downside of proprietary cables you can’t really defend. Moral of the story? If you live in a small country, don’t ever lose the USB cable.

GreatSunJester on September 11, 2008 4:22 PM

I wish they would come up with (and adopt!) an extended USB connector. One side has the normal USB connections, and the other has, say, 24 pins. The USB side only is USB for power and/or data transfer as allowed by drivers and the other is used as the equipment manufacturer wants.You plug in an iPod and the computer uses it as an iPod. Plug in a Sansa and the same machine using the same cable sees a Sansa. Zune…Zune. You get the idea.Never going to happen simple from licensing profits. Bleh.

h on September 11, 2008 5:08 PM

$7 at ebay. They kill their own revenues.

sigsegv0x0b on September 11, 2008 5:10 PM

There are things ebay is good for and there are things ebay isn’t good for. This is one of the things ebay is good for.

Alex M on September 11, 2008 5:11 PM

so I have an A728…anyone in Norway want my cable for 95$? :D

MFG on September 11, 2008 5:23 PM

You gotta be kidding me!For $105 you can get a very decent fair capacity player! (like an 8GB Sansa Fuze).Go to e-bay! Get a generic!

sprockkets on September 11, 2008 5:43 PM

Next time don’t buy Sony. They stand for proprietary and for DRM thanks to them taking over Columbia.

Jon on September 11, 2008 5:52 PM

I hate proprietary cables as much as the next guy, but Sony isn’t the only one guilty of this. Samsung, MS, Apple and Sandisk also uses proprietary port on their devices.

juggleboy711 on September 11, 2008 7:09 PM

well if it’s a small country, it can’t be that hard to find. :D

Zoodar on September 11, 2008 7:32 PM

“If you live in a small country, don’t ever lose the USB cable.”It has nothing to do with the size of the country, rather than the population. Japan is a small country in size, but not in number of inhabitants. However I don’t see how the price could be that high. If they sell the product they should sell common accessories as well. Especially a big company like Sony. Stupid Sony, don’t they realize that they will loose customers that way.

juggleboy711 on September 11, 2008 9:06 PM

Stupid me. I forgot that it’s also very easy to lose your stuff in a mosh pit.

archangel on September 12, 2008 12:24 AM

I bought a NW-S706F from Japan in 2007 (I was holidaying there and it was significantly cheaper than it was in Australia), and wanted an additional USB cable for work. The item wasn’t listed on Sony Australia’s website at the time, and when I asked support about purchasing it, they said that they weren’t going to bring it out in Australia…

TacticalPenguin on September 12, 2008 12:40 AM

I would just like to point out that since this was from the OEM, you can’t really blame sony for much of this other than for using a proprietary cable, which you can blame lots of companies for.

ascariss on September 12, 2008 1:04 AM

I agree that the price is steep and an unfortunate problem.Sony should return to a normal standard usb cable as they used on their HD-5.As well I would be careful from who you order the cable from on ebay. Since some of the cables are fakes and replicas and might have issues when working with the walkman, such as speed issues, failure to charge, etc. If a price is too good to be true, it probably isn’t a good idea to get it.

Ascariss on September 12, 2008 11:15 AM

That is the kind of cable I was talking about, 6-8 bucks a bit more with shipping, not sure why it says Quantity in the description, maybe they waned to write quality. It seems to be the same user selling a large batch, so be careful buying that specific cable. I have bought such cables off ebay myself and most were not originals and didn’t perform like the original cable.email sony and ask the product number for the cable, then email the ebay seller and do they same, if they give you no number or a fake one, it probably means it is not oem, or at least of any decent quality.as they say buy at your own risk.

Andreas Ødegård on September 12, 2008 12:32 PM

@TactcialPenguin: The cable is available off Sonystyle in other countries, the fact that only the players are available off the norwegian sonystyle IS sony’s fault.@gregzx: eyah i know, i already gave him an ebay link well before i posted this. point is that the official way of getting a replacement cable in this country is by paying $105, not everyone wants to or have the means to get stuff off ebay

h on September 12, 2008 1:37 PM

Ascariss, those bad performance USB cable are a real pest.My advice: only and really only buy those with oxygen-free copper wires. You will definitely hear a difference after retransfering all your mp3 files through those cables.If you want to spend some time and archive a better result it can help to copy the files multiple times. The cable needs to adapt to the data and the transfer of audio data. Doing this will help to get best results!

Grahm Skee on September 12, 2008 5:38 PM

If you read the article Andreas was talking about acquiring the cable in Norway. We know its available here, just very expensive to get it in Norway.

sundog on September 12, 2008 6:18 PM

H: This is nonsense. The cables used cannot possibly affect the quality of your DIGITAL music. Digital music is ones and zeroes; do better quality cables assure rounder zeroes and pointier ones? Ridiculous.

sundog on September 12, 2008 6:38 PM

I hate to belabor the point, but the comment about copying the file multiple times because “The cable needs to adapt to the data and the transfer of audio data” is perhaps the funniest piece of misinformation I have EVER come across.For the clueless, these are FILES we are talking about. A long list of numbers in a certain order. There is NO WAY ON EARTH the quality of the cables can change those numbers! As long as there is an electrical connection AT ALL the quality will be equal to the most expensive latest Monster neodymium-doped antimatter surge-flux cold fusion cables.

ascariss on September 12, 2008 8:12 PM

I personally never mentioned they would not transfer files, but the non OEM cables (depends how they are made and with what materials and care) may not even function at all. I had a situation for my nokia phone, cable didn’t always work with the phone, I later found out the cable was a cheap knockoff from ebay. here is a link to the canadian sony style site with the cablehttp://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/servlet/ProductDetailDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=1003960&navigationPath=n46881n32260n100219btw I am sure there are european sites that carry the cable, probably in germany that will ship to parts of europe.

TacticalPenguin on September 12, 2008 11:35 PM

@sundog you need to send your sarcasm detector in for repair, or get a new one

Gunnar Petzäll on September 14, 2008 2:07 PM

Hehe, I fell for that cable sarcasm too. Very well written. I thought “h” was just a complete nutjob =D

ano on September 14, 2008 7:42 PM

Funny thing is, Norway’s government probably get’s 25% sales tax from that. Then they got another chunk of that profit Sony made from income taxes. Sony is probably left iwth $10 when all is said done.Who is robbing who now?

Guessswho on September 15, 2008 12:50 PM

Wow, sony will amaze me at that. Granted, I am a huge 360 fan, but that is just ridiculous. Hopefully ms will not make the same mistake.

Svenn on October 13, 2008 8:34 PM

Dont forget!Stores that sell cables are having a field day when it comes to pricing “cables and other accessories”. I know, as i work in norways biggest brand, and get to check prices, what employees have to pay and normal customers.Example: Wanted to get an extension cord 3,5mm jack male>female. This was priced at 60,- NOK, about 11 dollars. When i got to the checkout, we deducted the store’s earnings on it, and i ended up paying a total of 12,- NOK. About 1.5 US dollars.