SanDisk Bumps MicroSD to 16GB

16gb msdhc SanDisk Bumps MicroSD to 16GB

While there has been a discussion on our forum about this card popping up on a British site a few days ago, it’s now official; microSD cards have been bumped to 16GB along with Memory Stick Micro. The cards will follow the microSDHC standard and should be compatible with the players that support 4GB and 8GB cards.

This capacity boost will mean that the Sansa Fuze will now go up to 24GB and the Sansa View will go up to 48GB which isn’t bad especially in combination with the fact the Clip is coming in 8GB. Other devices and cellphones especially will also be able to use this new 16GB card. According to the press release the new card will be out in October at Best Buy Mobile stores and November at Verizon Wireless stores – the only two major retailers in the US that will be selling this card this year. Whether or not the card will be available online is unsure, but let’s hope so. The MSRP is $99.99 so unless you really need the extra storage in one card the $24 8GB cards on Amazon might be a better deal for now, but as we all know prices will drop.

[Press Release via jkOnTheRun]

Homersipson on September 30, 2008 8:39 AM

I don’t understand why you don’t want online retailers to be able to sell this card. I hope that prices drop on this, quick. Now they need to roll out the 32 GB MicroSD, they already have the 32 GB SD. Personally, I’d like to see them “drop” the SD line and just concentrate on the micros and sell the micros with the full size converter so that they are still supporting the full size SD devices. They appear to be ahead of the competition on capacity, therefore, since Sandisk appears to release equivalent full size SD cards of high capacity approx. 6 mos. before the micro version, the lag in waiting to release the micro version of greater capacity should not affect their position as the pioneer in capacity.

Andreas Ødegård on September 30, 2008 8:56 AM

@ Homersimpson: Im gonna change the sentence as its badly structured. What i meant was that only two major retailers will sell this card, and hopyfully they dont include online retailers in THEIR definition of “major retailers” (since they mentioned two brick and mortar stores only).

Rick Spoketire on September 30, 2008 10:02 AM

I think you misread the article. He does want online stores to sell the card.

Nico on September 30, 2008 11:50 AM

yay :D . hopefully the price comes down quickly, this will allow daps to include the smaller micro-sd port instead of the full size one. Has anyone else noticed that mini-sizes seem to go – miniSD obselete, as is the ipod mini

RedRooster on September 30, 2008 1:24 PM

Yeah I am happy to hear this news and I just got a new Fuze the other day so I am gonna probaly buy 1 in the next few months or of lower capacity but all and all good news. ^^

gabe565 on September 30, 2008 9:39 PM

Yay SanDisk! The prices will definently come down pretty quickly, so don’t worry! I hope they come out with a 32GB!

gabe565 on September 30, 2008 9:43 PM

Sorry, hit submit too soon!I just recently bought an 8GB Fuze plus I have my old e260, so I’m getting one once the price drops some.

MFG on September 30, 2008 10:06 PM

Nice!Do you think they will release a 16GB Fuze??A 16GB Fuze + 16GB MicroSDHC could be in my letter to Santa this year :D .Also, expect MicroSDHC 8GB Price to drop :)

Liberty on October 9, 2008 9:59 PM

i wonder if this would be compatible with the microSD slot in my phone, i don’t see why not

Homersipson on October 15, 2008 11:43 AM

@Andreas — Thanks for clearing that up. I thought there was some funky business deal that I was not aware of, to keep the prices artificially high.

Teklord on March 28, 2009 12:41 PM

I want to stick one of these in my Rockboxed e280 for 24GB of Lossless adulation! Rockboxed e280 w/microSD is the best value in DAP’s AFAIK ATM IMO FTW. (LOL) ;)