First Info on the Samsung P3

samsung p3 First Info on the Samsung P3

It’s not a surprise that the Samsung P2 is getting a successor seeing how popular the player is, but so far Samsung has been very quiet. They still are, but GenerationMP3 has gotten their hands on one and has posted a bit of info on it while we wait for the official launch at CES in January.

Size wise it’s almost identical to the P2 at 02 x 52.7 x 9.9 mm and 85g, but the player is now aluminum instead of plastic. It has a haptic touch screen, same 3″ 272×480 display, Bluetooth and an FM radio. New features include widgets, a mono speaker and capacities ranging from 4 to 32GB. It also ships with some of the enhancement the P2 got rhough firmware updates including support for both Vorbis and FLAC. Battery life is rated at 30 hours for audio and 5 hours for video.

Stop by the Samsung P3 forum, we have some insiders hanging out there answering questions.

Update: GenMP3 has released a photogallery of the new player.

[GenerationMP3]

Pankaj on November 12, 2008 3:39 PM

Wow.But I really feel that they should have added a bigger screen.

Utew on November 12, 2008 10:06 PM

Widgets alone, do not an improved player make.

dragnandy on November 13, 2008 12:27 AM

its a slight improvement. i just hope those mono speakers are at least sub par, nothing crappy. its great that they switched to aluminum now though. but still, they could have made more changes if they were making a successor.

Alexis on November 13, 2008 7:59 AM

Remember … that this is only a bit of info… not official… so many features might pop up… in the mean time wait ?

Martin Sägmüller on November 13, 2008 12:55 PM

Wonder if the aluminum housing is an issue for Bluetooth signals?

Utew on November 13, 2008 11:16 PM

Good point, Martin… as it stands, the P2 gets excellent BT range.. the metal case could be problematic. I would hope this has been scrutinized and isn’t an issue, but it makes you wonder.

John on November 14, 2008 12:30 PM

I am a fan of samsung mp3 playes, for 2 main reasons, Sound quality is too good! its comparison to Walkmans, deep bass. Second is UI its simple nice to use, and a breeze. I own the S5, with built in speaker…The P3 if it wishes to be a sucssesor will only do so with major things,*Stero speakers common!!*WIFI*Bigger screen*Memory card slot*Dedicated games-muliplayer etc*Maybe a camera that would be cool 3.2mp lowest though + a flash & video 30fpsMost important is battery life and sound quality. Hope they do it! If they did the above say good bye any mp3/mp4

Jai Is a MP3 Nerd on November 14, 2008 10:14 PM

Hi im a big fan of this upcoming mp3. I am so excited for it. Cant wait!!!

suz on November 15, 2008 3:06 AM

I’m impressed. I like that that useless blue light is gone and that a speaker will be present. A 32 gb version is nothing to complain about either. A bigger screen would be nice, but anything bigger than my ZVM’s screen is an improvement.

tirim4 on November 17, 2008 11:03 AM

nice, Im a fan of cowon/iaudio and have been thinking of the S9 nas my next DAP, but this one looks sexy…Hope it wont be that expensive…

aliquis on November 17, 2008 1:39 PM

Useless without a memory card slot.

Tech on November 18, 2008 8:12 AM

does someone know what language ops do i have when i buy it in the us?

Zumie on November 20, 2008 4:32 AM

It does look a bit neater, but with the info so far on it’s Features and such…i don’t see how this could top the P2, but there may be some enhancements to this Mp3 player later on, which may make it a giant among Mp3 players. I agree, with john though, if it had all those features on another Mp3 or added them to the P3…i would buy it in a heartbeat. :)

AndrewP on November 20, 2008 9:49 PM

I really wish they add an SDHC expansion slot. It looks like a solid player, I’m excited for it! My Clix2 might have to retire soon :O.

randomtornado on November 28, 2008 11:32 PM

I must say this is the sexiest mp3 player I have EVER seen. I just hope file browsing doesn’t work the same way as the P2. When it comes to scrolling through files, I’m more patial to the iPod touch. Other than that Samsung can’t do any wrong, the P3 will be loads better than once great P2.

Xenodius on November 29, 2008 7:13 PM

I wish somebody would just come out with a line of no-compromises, best-of-the-best players for every combination of purposes. I would totally be game.

Fuzzypits on December 6, 2008 3:53 PM

Wow, i can’t wait! If it’s not much more than a physical update, I’ll probably just pick up a P2 on clearance rather than buy the P3. Because I’ve wanted a P2 for awhile now, but I’m scared I’ll regret my decision when the P3 comes out. So I’ll see what happens when it is released

lilghost on December 7, 2008 2:20 PM

Not trying to be bitchy, this is a matter that I really find interesting. Suppose one buys a 32GB player, why does one need a card slot? Is it the convenience of just cramming your entire music library in it without ever having to connect the player to a computer, or the lower cost of an SD card? With their capacities rocketing lately, the question of lagging when reading from a full 16GB or 32GB card.Apart from that, 30 hours still doesn’t sound nearly long to be able to listen through all the music. Even with my poor number work.What is it about?

Geoff on January 1, 2009 3:30 AM

hey does anyone have any idea of when the P3 will be released? and if it will come in the 16GB version because i know the P2 hasa 16 GB one and was wondering if i could look foreward to a 16GB P3 as well?

Raven on February 5, 2009 6:51 PM

When is it coming out??

Arkadius on February 9, 2009 1:33 PM

I have this player now and he`s best I ever ahd in my hands.My opinion is thath only Zune IIor Cowon S9 can fight against this maschine! :) A very wonderful player with a fantastic sound.RegardsArkadius

Paul on February 24, 2009 7:48 PM

I saw some snapshot on flicker! Wow. .!http://www.flickr.com/photos/yanyanszeto/3305232779/in/photostream/Beautiful, very beautiful! Samsung rock!

Tymmi on April 8, 2009 8:33 PM

Ok somethings got on my nerves a bit like this…what would a “MP3″ player need with a camera? or internet? last I checked a mp3 player is supposed to play music not take pics or surf the web…thats what computers and cameras are used for…. it would be nice though cuz a cell phone is used for calling but it has camera and internet so no complaining but still dont judge such a great mp3 like because it lacks those features! THE P3 OWNS ALL!!!

manu on April 10, 2009 7:18 AM

excellent sound and video quality and the features are a bit better than p2 player.only one drawback is battery life.p3 can play about 8 hours of continuous music and about 2 hours of video when fully charged……..

Darren on May 4, 2009 8:45 PM

Check out VanMobileGear.com for Samsung P3 and other mobile Mp3 & cell phone accessories!Direct link here:http://www.vanmobilegear.com/samsung-p3-mp3-accessories.aspx

mark on May 26, 2009 4:13 PM

WEN IS IT COMING OUT TO CANADA!!!! Everyone said its out but i dont c it anyware and need it now because my p2 broke… PLEASE HELP!!!!

Paul Lin on November 30, 2009 2:27 PM

mark! The 32GB model is now coming out!http://www.warehouse123.com/store/product_information.php?pid=21498&ptext=SamsungI know they will ship to Canada! I have been waited for a year to see the 32GB coming out!