Bopaboo Lets Your Sell “Used” MP3 Files

bopaboo Bopaboo Lets Your Sell “Used” MP3 Files

I’ve seen a lot of people trying to justify piracy, but this one is definitely new – and apparently not even illegal. Basically Bopaboo is a service (currently) in beta that allows you to sell you legally bought DRM free music files as used.

I looked and looked in their FAQ to see if they would provide some legal ground for their service, as the concept sounded a bit too far fetched. I mean, MP3 files can be copied, there’s nothing stopping you from selling your legally bought file and keeping a copy for yourself. I was curious to see what system Bopaboo had for controlling this and as I expected there is none, as proven by their terms of use: “You further represent and warrant to the purchaser and to Bopaboo that, upon the completion of such sale, You will delete any remaining copies of the Used Published Item that may exist in your possession, custody or control”. Basically this means that as the legal citizen you are, Bopaboo trusts you to delete the file you’ve sold as “used” and never re-download it again from where you bought it. They also claim to scan the files to make sure they are not pirated, something that seems rather unlikely considering how many legal MP3 stores there are in the world and not all of them uses watermarks. Piracy has been a problem for a long time, but now you can apparently get paid for it and it’ll be legal as well. Please tell me if I’ve missed something critical here because it seems highly unlikely that the music industry will agree to this.

[Bopaboo via GenerationMP3]

warofart420 on December 8, 2008 5:58 AM

Apparently you only get paid in “credits” to use in their own store.That’s what I heard, please check.

Jhon on December 8, 2008 7:40 AM

Hahaha this is hilarious.Warofart420, even if all you get are credits, that doesn’t stop people from abusing the system.

Mikezilla on December 8, 2008 7:47 PM

@warofart420The site states that all money you make off of selling your music is available to withdraw OR to spend it on buying music.I still don’t understand how this is going to fly w/ the music industry, or how the company is gonna be successful.

lawrence on December 8, 2008 8:33 PM

its like a yard sale =)

Tobey on December 9, 2008 3:24 PM

From their terms of use:”You must not upload or present any media or content in which you do not have the appropriate rights to do so. You may be in violation of copyright laws if you do not have the appropriate rights to the media or content you upload or present on bopaboo.”That pretty much means you can only sell music you hold the copyright to. Either they’ve got some awesome deal with the music industry or this is going to be a sucky indie music store.

iff2mastamatt on December 9, 2008 10:46 PM

I don’t think this service will work too well with the Music industry. If RealDVD, won’t fly with the studios, why would this work? I’m sure this site will get shut down or pulled from the USA in a matter of months. However, I do think that it is a good idea.

Julian on December 10, 2008 8:31 AM

I was excited about the prospect of making money off gigs of music file I have long since abandoned but the service is only available to United States users :-(

JunglePimp on December 10, 2008 3:50 PM

Well there is another such site, called KIQLO ( http://www.kiqlo.com), seems this one would let you sell even pirated stuff without any hitches….[emphasis: SEEMS]

lawrence on December 12, 2008 5:59 PM

Many people don’t realize the absurdity of their statement.If EVERYBODY pirates, then who will purchase the music?

gaffle on December 13, 2008 4:32 PM

i heard about this on public radio today. i think its a great idea! how many musicians were driven into worse positions then they were before they signed on with record labels? and youre feeling sorry for the label?the government gives government bonds to the federal reserve for freshly printed cash.. they just print it, it cost them ink and power, thats it.. this is your nation being sold without a penny, and youre seriously concerned with this?everyone listen, steal as much as you can, sell as much stolen crap as you can, look out for yourself because no one else is.

Aaron Turpen on December 16, 2008 9:37 AM

Well, since according to your badly-written English, I’m not capable of being honest and ethical in my dealings, bopaboo is obviously in the wrong for not forcing me to be so?Ya, nice attitude. Besides, bopaboo doesn’t pay in money, only in credits that you can use to purchase more music from others in their system. This means no profiteering is possible through their site, only trade of music files in your posession.

Kiqlo on January 23, 2009 2:05 PM

I am one of the Kiqlo founder and we do not allow people to sell pirated stuff. If there is any content on the website that is pirated or that has been pointed as pirated we will remove it an forward the detail to the autority if requested.

Drew on February 2, 2009 1:50 AM

Most DRMed music services I have used in the past state in their license agreement that you have “exclusive, non-transferable” rights to a file. The same is true of Amazon MP3 despite the fact that there is no digital protection for it. So few people actually read the things they are agreeing to, however, that most are unaware of what restrictions they are putting on themselves. Use of most services without clicking an accept button can nab the user for “implied consent” based on the good faith that the user made himself/herself aware of the conditions of the service ahead of time. I don’t really expect this to last, but they can probably fight for a few months while we rack up and spend some credits.