Cowon S9 UI Video, Release Dates, micro-B USB

cowon s9 video Cowon S9 UI Video, Release Dates, micro B USB

This video has been released on the S9’s UI and I will have to say it looks stunning. My previous worries about the S9 firmware and interface are diminished. This player looks to be night and day from the firmware on the O2 we have been concerned with. It looks like Cowon is on the right track with the S9. I spoke with Greg from GenMP3 about the S9 earlier, he has had a chance to use an S9 and says that the touch works great and the GUI is very smart.

So other good news is that Cowon is planning on a 32GB release of this player tentatively in February with 8GB and 16GB trickling out to the various countries at the end of this month and early January. It supposedly pops its head up earlier on Amazon, but I have yet to see it for sale anywhere in the US.

Another thing we know about the Cowon is that it will have a micro-B USB connection. This is a fairly non standard USB plug so be prepared to pack another cable. Though this is the same connection that the iriver SPINN uses and as Andreas points out to me that many mobile phones are starting to use this type of connection.

walker on December 11, 2008 10:52 AM

this is the most beautiful thing ive ever seen. Mp3 player wise

H30 on December 11, 2008 10:55 AM

Things seem to get better everyday…Oh, “had a change to use” –> chance

Leroy Bad on December 11, 2008 10:56 AM

Is it me or is there no sound in that video

Rick Spoketire on December 11, 2008 11:29 AM

Was that instant-on I saw, or was it just in sleep mode right at the beginning?

Utew on December 11, 2008 12:09 PM

Interface seems to be pretty snappy, do we have any idea what SOC this is using? Definitely an improvement for Cowon over past interfaces, though I was looking at a new Samsung player for a few seconds… verrryyy nice…

Razorpakk on December 11, 2008 12:14 PM

Please guys, tell me what is wrong with my sentence:S9 is a D2 with bigger screen, no SD card slot and less portable.

skimhitz on December 11, 2008 2:23 PM

@Razorpakk:”S9 is a D2 with bigger screen, slimmer and more sleek design, gorgeous UI, just as postable since portability is measured in 3 dimension instead of one, and I want one oh so badly.”Fixed. :D

TheDarkSide on December 11, 2008 2:29 PM

This is just plain sexy,…… Cowon my have just changed the way the game is played. Funny thing is, I think they were just trying to keep us from tearing them apart. Who new we’d be in a state of shock, all cause this is the best thing since sliced bread. And to think, I was slowly becoming a Sony FanBoi. Cowon, you’ll get my sincere apology when this is released, as you’ll finally have the title of “King Of The Hill”.

~!@#$%^&*()_ on December 11, 2008 3:10 PM

HOLY F*CK!@GIVE ME ONE!NOW!!!!:)

MarvintheMartian on December 11, 2008 3:13 PM

@ DarkSide….slowly? lolThis is a pretty impressive looking machine,but I am surprised at the lack of a card slot….D2 owners love the card slot.

jamesey on December 11, 2008 3:45 PM

i wasnt going to buy one unless they offered 32mb..

Jim on December 11, 2008 4:02 PM

It looks kind of cool, but unless it’s competitive on price it’ll be in direct competition with you-know-what.It would have been a better bargain if, as others have said, the S9 included an SDHC card slot for expansion. For the same price as Cowon’s 32gb S9, you could get a Touch with wifi and the whole i-ecosystem (car docks, etc.) I’m not an Apple fan-boy; I’m just laying out the realities of the current marketplace.In order to compete, Cowon needs to offer what Apple can’t: standardization, which means no proprietary cable nonsense, and memory expandability.

jjrosaria on December 11, 2008 4:04 PM

S9 is really nice but the lack of sd card slot is quite disappointing. Hope they make a 64Gb model :P . But otherwise awesome device..

band_geek_06 on December 11, 2008 4:06 PM

Wow, it’s really snappy, and the hardware looks great, too. Two questions: Will there be an SDK? and Will it be skinnable (like the D2)?

Joe on December 11, 2008 4:26 PM

Micro USB is an official standard which replaced the mini standard.

Phil on December 11, 2008 6:11 PM

Question: Is the calculator only in ”simple mode” or will there be a scicntific ;) calc like on the D2 and O2?

Joseph on December 11, 2008 6:39 PM

With an SD card slot, they’d be shooting themselves in the foot unfortunately. Capacity demand on DAPs is a bell curve – you might have a few people who just have one album they want to listen to over and over (say, 12-year-old Jonas Brothers fans) and there’s the handful who think expensive gold-plated cables make their speakers sound better and insist on porting their albums around as uncompressed 44.1KHz 16-bit wave files :-) , but the rest are somewhere in the middle.Cowon and others get to charge a premium for the highest capacity DAPs. With a card slot, most who want 32GB could buy the lowest capacity player and then add in an SD card rather than pay the premium. Sure, there’s a few who want and would pay for 64MB total capacity, but they’re a minority.

Matt on December 11, 2008 7:11 PM

So it’s exactly the same as a Touch, but with a much slower, jerkier interface, and no wifi.Fab.Let’s hope the sound quality can make up for it.

samueljesusfreak on December 11, 2008 7:22 PM

This is absolutely amazing. Murders my D2. No doubt. The only thing I can think of that is wrong with it is the SD card slot missing. We’ll have to wait and find out how well Audio/Video playback work.Thanks for the video, It really looks amazing.

renato on December 11, 2008 8:12 PM

Matt:”but with a much slower…”yes, i thing so too.. :( UI, thumb and interface run rather jerkily… :/I hope for it the cowon will repair on this…How do you see it?

lawrence on December 11, 2008 8:14 PM

I like it, but I like the touch, too.This thing better be cheap.

Joe on December 11, 2008 10:14 PM

Well, lets see:itouch doesn’t have bluetooth, so forget about stereo headphones (not even the iphone has stereo bluetooth).The S9 has a slightly smaller screen but is widescreen. It also is AMOLED vs old school LCD. It will have a built in radio and in Korea probably will optionally come with DMB for the digital radio and tv portable broadcasts. It as usual will have high quality audio if history is any indication. It plays more formats as well. It also may cost $85 less than a 16GB touch.It doesn’t have wifi, gimicky games, an app store/itunes, or a browser.One is made in California company (which may explain why they paid $100,000 to oppose gay marriage there) and makes the actual player in China, vs Cowon who makes and designs the player in Korea.Chose wisely.

Chris on December 11, 2008 11:21 PM

Joe… Apple actually gave 100k to oppose Prop 8 which is was an Anti-Gay Marriage bill, which lost.And, the app store shouldn’t be passed off as trivial because there’s some serious creativity coming out of there and other mp3 manufacturers would be wise to take notice.That being said, Im buying a Zune 120 because of the storage space, and the ease of use with the marketplace (even though sometimes it takes some patience to use). I also think the Zune platform with wi-fi in all their players will be next to have some sort of app-store-like deal.Although the S9 looks amazing I don’t think it will be any more successful than the X5 was because it has the same some of the same drawbacks. To compete against the iPod Touch this thing NEEDS wi-fi, SD expandability and the option to easily pair with a credible music distribution service with good software. IMO

Dan on December 12, 2008 12:46 AM

The app store is the only thing the ipod touch has going for it to me. S9 excels in every other department. I hope cowon releases an sdk so we could see some of the creativity that comes out of the apple app store.And personally, surfing the net on the ipod touch is a waste. Almost completely useless. I would rather get an IMT like the Archos 5 or 7 if I wanted great wifi.

joe on December 12, 2008 1:27 AM

Oops, we had it backwards (that sounds weird). My bad. Google did it too. I don’t care about the gay issue. It just seems weird that these companies would see a need to chip in on fighting a bill on something totally unrelated to their bottom line. They said it was because they have no preferences on who they hire.

SansaRulez83 on December 12, 2008 4:04 AM

Pretty impressive. I have a D2 and a Touch and have to agree that the scrolling is rather jerky in this video. It doesn’t help that the person showing off the device makes the act look uncomfortable.Overall, though, the interface does look something like a cross between the D2 and Touch. It’s mostly slick while being very intuitive. I like the context sensitive action like the increase in text size. Makes me think of the Sony cross media bar or the Zune twist functionality.Side by side, this’ll definitely blow the Touch out of the water in the video department, especially for 16:9. Basically, if you don’t have a need for Wifi (which I happened to like though it hampers battery life) this would be the multimedia player to get over the Touch. I don’t think I will, though. I’ll just carry the two that I have.On a side note: Cowon didn’t include an SD card slot in this because that would hamper there sales of the O2. With their PVP’s going flash they have to give them some kind of advantage, especially when people see that the S9′s battery life is going to be much better.

David Wang on December 12, 2008 10:23 AM

Why are people dicking about no SDHC card slot. It’s not a big deal, flash base memory are the way to go and we don’t need that much space on the mp3 player anyway. Plus a 32GB one will be released soon.I’m sure many would buy this from the awesome AMOLED screen + the sick user interface. It makes iTouch and iPhone a mockery…wait till i show this off to my mates = )I can understand why they didn’t put wifi, as that would raise the price point considerably. Plus you’d need a good browser etc…and i don’t think Cowon can develop one..This is definately an upgrade from the D2. I’ll buy when it hits the state but the aussie dollar is sh1t..

YpoCaramel on December 12, 2008 3:11 PM

AMOLED screens have excellent color, so that’s definitely a leg up over the D2. This looks like a good upgrade for my Spinn…As for wi-fi, it depends on what they would have done with it. If it was just syncing, well, Bluetooth works too with a shorter range. If they wanted web browsing and e-mail, why not just make a full-fledged 3G phone? Its just a matter of the chip and battery then…

KiNGPiN on December 12, 2008 4:44 PM

They are on pre-order at advancedmp3players.co.ukCowon iAudio S9 8GB£169.00Cowon iAudio S9 16GB£199.00Personally at those prices, i think i’ll stick to my Sony NWZ-S639F 16GB and the Zune 120GB.But it definitely is the most advanced mp3 player on the market, speaking i terms of the important things ofcourse and not just iGimmicks :p

Tammy on December 13, 2008 2:43 AM

Kingpin, don’t be put off by the price. Hang on to your Sony player for 4 months after the release date and watch the price come down – that’s what I did for the YPP2 and it worked, 8GB for £120 from Amazon itself, not a third party trader.

wizzardxexe on December 13, 2008 10:53 AM

waaaaaaaaah its sooo fat!

Alan on December 15, 2008 6:20 AM

I think it’s available from AdvancedMP3Players.co.uk from Friday this week (19th), £169 and 199 for 8 and 16GB. Now I don’t know if I want this or the O2 more… :S

yadda on January 16, 2009 9:05 AM

plenty of lag in the scrolling