Iriver P7 Video Overview [HD]

iriver p7 ces Iriver P7 Video Overview [HD]

The P7 was my favorite device shown off at the iriver booth, but unfortunately the US won’t see this device. The closest thing you will get is the Cowon O2, but well we found quite a few problems. The P7 is a beautiful monolithic block design common to the high style of iriver. But this modern design also shows up in the UI with a truly unique home screen almost like a layout of a brochure or magazine.

Unfortunately, the UI is rather sluggish as you can tell from the video and basing the opinion solely on experience from previous devices, it’s likely not up to par. Perhaps what needs to happen here is iriver needs to give up on making the electronics and concentrate on the design- leave internals up to Cowon. A fantastic sounding Cowon iriver P7 anyone?

• Specs:
  • 4.3” TFT LCD (480×272) resistance touch screen
  • About 50hrs of playback time (audio)
  • SRS WOW HD, 7 Preset EQ
  • 4/8/16GB Nand Flash (Micro SD Slot)
  • Functions: Video, Music, Photo viewer, FM /Voice Recording

Phil on January 16, 2009 10:06 PM

Nice Block design, nice UI design… but the touch screen looks rather unresponsive… as it is for any touch screen, I guess… I see you had to press until you actually pressed on the screen… that can’t be good for the device. I see that the volume and menu buttons have the same flaws that the Volcano buttons have. Its nonoperational if you keep the device in your pocket. And its kind of big, seems that you could put a HDD in this device… but they put a big battery instead. I have no complaints about that. I also like that there is an expansion slot, although MicroSD is more expensive than SD. But at least it isn’t as power consuming. Ah well, seems that we haven’t found the perfect device yet! If only companies took in consideration the user feedback… Wou! First post!

swild on January 17, 2009 2:20 AM

looks great! But the only way I could justify a big screen like that is if it had some kind of e-book reader… great clean/sharp design though!

FreeFrag on January 17, 2009 6:16 AM

Actually not a bad idea, if Iriver and Cowon would cooperate in making PMPs/DAPs. I think that would work out pretty good indeed.

Martin Sägmüller on January 17, 2009 8:32 AM

iRiver UI with Cowon hardware (and BBE/M3B instead of the SRS stuff) – now that would be a win-win situation. Of course the P7 seems to have far more hardware buttons than the O2, so that’s a big plus.

Relyt on January 17, 2009 10:56 AM

@MartinGood point – however we all know that that’s never going to happen :) .Also – you said iriver UI & Cowon hardware – with the hardware designs influenced by iriver. They have such neat designs.

Relyt on January 17, 2009 10:58 AM

@Enzo – how come the stand behind the P7 in the pic says P10? I remember Jen over at Pocketables said that iriver is calling it the P10 on their website too….

Grahm on January 17, 2009 1:07 PM

@Relyt I think i put up the wrong picture in the article. It is the P7 in the video though. Thanks for pointing that out.

bingzhong on January 18, 2009 2:00 AM

@ PhilNote, its just a test-model, not the legit thing, yet.Though, IMO, iriver could have done an actually touchscreen, not like a PDA or a stylus-needed screen. I am a proud owner of a Spinn, and it has that kind of touch.I hope iriver will fix it up with a touchscreen that is, well, an actual touchscreen like the P2.

Ben on March 22, 2009 11:22 PM

J & R Music has the Iriver P7 on it’s site for preorder already.

Ryan on July 23, 2009 10:29 PM

The P7 is available at J&R, circuitcity.com, and a few other retailers. but it’s still not available thru Amazon yet… :/

Nitin on July 31, 2009 4:10 AM

The p7 is a really good sounding mp4 maybe not as good as my old d but its only noitcable on £110+ headphones and even then its only very slight. I have one of these the only real annoyance is trying to drag commands on the music playback which can be very tempremental. Otherwise if u use your nails or a hard press the rest of the screen works pretty well.

Brickwork on September 16, 2009 9:33 AM

I bought the P7 today, and have mixed feelings about the unit. Though I truly haven’t put the machine through it’s utmost paces yet in terms of testing battery, or had it long enough to see if anything else goes wrong.The design is ultra slick, kinda counter intuitive at first, but it will grow on me, I’m sure. While I haven’t tested it with high end earphones, the audio quality was a little disappointing. Considerably worse than what I remember the E100 being, very mid high. I had to make some major adjustments with the user EQ before it really did it for me. The video quality however is superb, and the bundled conversion software is very easy to use. The supported format list is fantastic too.A major downside to the unit is the touch responsiveness. Using your fingers is very cumbersome, and makes certain features of the unit almost impossible to access ( track seek, user EQ settings, among others ). While the UI is well designed, the touch response seems as if it were tacked on at the last moment rather than a major design goal from the start. The interface seems as though it was more built to look good on a computer rather than function practically.Though, despite these flaws, it’s still a quality unit, and it’s pros outweight it’s cons. Though I have to say, if you’re a serious audiophile ( I’m borderline ), I suggest you look elsewhere, the sound quality is quite disappointing for it’s price.