An Early Hands on with the Sony X-1000

sony x1000 hands on main An Early Hands on with the Sony X 1000

Greg from Journal Du Geek got his hands on an early pre release test sample of the Sony X-1000. I had a conversation with him early this morning and he is very impressed. He said that the sound quality is amazing along with touch screen responsiveness better than the iPod Touch. The web browser is a bit quirky similar to the awkward Mylo browser, but overall he was very impressed with this test model.

If you missed the specs the player will have an OLED (432×240) screen, FM tuner, noise cancellation, web browser, Amazon store connectivity, and support for: MP3, WMA, AAC, WMV, MPEG-4, AVC. It will come in 16GB and 32GB versions. The prices are set for 280 and 380 Euros respectively- a bit steep it seems but we will have to wait and see how that translates to this side of the pond. Release is also very vague as its said to be around spring time.

Check out the Greg’s post for more photos. The touch category is heating up, I looking forward to doing an S9 vs P3 vs X-1000 ultimate match up.

ascariss on February 5, 2009 4:28 PM

:o Hmm article in french :P Will have to use a translator to read it now.Thanks for the link.

Michael on February 5, 2009 4:55 PM

AWWWW. If bluetooth was on this i’d be sold.

Rams on February 5, 2009 8:13 PM

“touch screen responsiveness better than the iPod Touch”You dont say? Quite a convincing property to have.. but ill stick with the S9 32gb for now, cant wait 5 more months.That is, IF Cowon decides to release the 32gb anytime soon.

MAthieu on February 5, 2009 8:14 PM

Thanks for keeping the link in french. I hate it when english-speaking blogs automatically direct me to weird translations of my native language. Anyway, HERE IS A TRANSLATION I HAVE MADE OF THE ARTICLE”The player i got is a pre-release version, a functionning but the interface is not finished yet and bugs are frequent. That is why we dont provide any video of the player. But the main features/functions worked, so i could test it for a few days and provide you a feedback.For those who could have forgotten, the Sony NWZ-X1000 is equipped with Wi-fi, a web browser, and offers the possibility of watching youtube vids and downloading podcasts straight from the player. It has a 432x240px 3″ OLED screen, a FM tuner, noise cancelling function and supports MP3, WMA, AAC, MPEG-4, AVC. It is expected to be available in 16GB and 32GB for respectively 280 and 380 euros!This Walkman is Sony’s first touch-based player. Altough being the first, it looks successful with a good metallic finish and a rectangular design that is somewhat special with the use of rough edges. Like the Cowon S9, the screen occupies most of the front surface, but with a Home button on the bottom. There are play/pause, volume, noise cancelling, etc. commands on the upper side of the player. The material on the front and the back are smooth/glossy, but fingerprints appear quickly. One-handed use is totally possibleLike I said, the interface isnt finished, so i cant say much but the home screen will be very similar to previous sony players with psp/ps3 style icons. The screen is superb with very good contrast with realistic colors. The touch-screen is capacitive and its precision/reactiveness is at least on par with the ipod touch if not better! The rest of the interface is pretty common, but very ergonomical and well-thought. But what is impressive is that Sony developped its own “coverflow” that looks very different from Apple’s. It allows in a fast and new way to browse through not only albums but also videos. On the audio side, once again Sony doesnt disappoint. Honnestly i could place it my top 5 of players with the best sound quality. A very warm and detailed sound, and it offers customisable EQ’s , noise cancelling mode that is very efficient in the street and in public transportation. It can be enabled or disabled, but believe me, once you try it its difficult to go back. On the video side, it has a pretty good quality, due to the screen, but you have to manually transcode your videos in order to see them.Finally, for the web side, which ressembles to the mylo’s, it allows to browse, but its not very ergonomic, but lets say it’s better than nothing. But its possible to directly access to Youtube in order to watch videos as soon as you connect to wifi. There must be other functionnalities, but we cannot access them for the moment.All I can say for now is that this new walkman sounds very promising. I cant wait to test the final version, hoping that sony considers suggestions previous Walkman owners have made”

davidkhilliard on February 5, 2009 8:25 PM

Hi there! Looks great… However im not sure what to go with now when the time comes!When do you think you will be doing the “S9 vs P3 vs X-1000 ultimate match up” As I know many are not out as of yet, a guess would always be great! I look forward to it!Is it true that Cowon does a better job with audio output then Samsung and Sony?Thanks and Keep up the Great Work!

RedSky on February 5, 2009 8:34 PM

Thanks for the translation MAthieu.Pity about the price though, even if it translates to $300/400 US, that’s still pretty damn expensive. Here’s wishing they’d release a more basic revision similar to the E430 series, but with the larger 32GB variant capacity of these players.

confispect on February 5, 2009 10:13 PM

Why did I order the S9……

ascariss on February 5, 2009 11:47 PM

MAthieu, appreciateed for the translation. :)

boredom on February 6, 2009 2:51 AM

Isn’t 280 and 380 Euros the price of the ipod touch in France?Probably means that either the sony x will be pegged at the same price as the touch wherever it is, or they don’t have actual pricing info and they used the touch’s local price as a guestimate…

jjrosaria on February 6, 2009 3:53 AM

MAthieu kudos for the translationanyways thanks for the link as well Enzo.. I am now really excited for this device…PS: the stone slab finish doesent look as bad in real life

H30 on February 6, 2009 1:11 PM

The UI doesn’t look special, but that’s where it has to shine, especially with a fugly design like that.

jjrosaria on February 6, 2009 4:21 PM

@ H3o…Sony’s interface have always been simple.. but they are fast and really effective..(I hope that walkman has the same)..

Hirudin on February 6, 2009 5:57 PM

Hmmm… $400 or so and no bluetooth, I’ll pass.IMO modern MP3 players should either have bluetooth or come with a dock… or be very cheap.

gates on February 7, 2009 9:07 PM

I did regret buying S638 too soon. But then look at the price of X1000, 280 € is too much right now.@Hirudin : Bluetooth right now is kinda gimmick anyway.

Hirudin on February 8, 2009 10:30 AM

Last year I might have agreed with you, but after having used my Nokia phone as my primary music player in my car (through my car-stereo via bluetooth) I can say that it is actually quite useful and convenient. If I could rate music on this phone it would be just about the perfect player!

Soran on February 9, 2009 12:53 AM

A player in the same price-range as the ipod touch with noise-cancelling and without the need for that POS known as iTunes? I’m sold….

Felipe on February 12, 2009 2:57 PM

How do you guys feel about the headphone jack being on the top if the unit?I personally prefer it on the bottom. But I guess it doesn’t bother me too much.

Felipe on February 12, 2009 2:57 PM

Oh, and I have to say, the screen is looking HOT!

Joe on February 12, 2009 5:13 PM

I had truly hoped Sony would walk away from anything Mylo or PSP related (browser) with this unit. Sorry, a quirky browser is not going to cut it these days, Sony.(I so wanted this device to do well…sigh)

Walkre on February 18, 2009 8:40 PM

at Felipe. I love the headphone jack at the top i think its too hard to use at the bottom, and i think it looks better at the top. I’m pretty excited bout this player

bluesky on April 1, 2009 11:30 PM

great

bluesky on April 1, 2009 11:33 PM

I like sony product, I have got several sony consumer electronics at Tradestead , they all work pretty good and really give me much fun , so I want to say sony product is worth buying!