Archos to get Google’s Android

archos android Archos to get Google’s Android

This is great news for Archos; putting Android on their devices will really bring them to the forefront. I love the latest Archos 5 hardware but the underlying OS leaves much to be desired. I recently spent some time with the G1 mobile phone and while I was not blown away by Android it is moving in the right direction. That said in its current state it still is eons above the current Archos OS. So I hope they are replacing all of their device OSes with Android.

Also keep in mind that Achos has a 3G version of the Archos 5 (called the Archos 5 IMT)- the size it won’t make for a feasible phone, but perhaps a very usable mobile tablet. Additionally, there are a few attachments like GPS and TV to add more goodies to the mix.

[Press Release via Engadget | Archos Lounge]

mysticstryk on February 9, 2009 2:36 PM

So will this be a firmware update for all current Archos 5 and 7 players, or can only newly shipped players have this?

electron on February 9, 2009 4:53 PM

that does seem pretty cool, but what was it that you didnt like about the current archos OS?

Poopelyse on February 9, 2009 6:32 PM

oh man, that’s pretty sweet. it would be even sweeter if they put Android on the 605s and what-not. I would be pretty happy about that. ‘cept that probably won’t happen

Johan Krüger-Haglert on February 9, 2009 8:37 PM

I’d rather buy a phone than an overpriced crippled gadget. If they remove the “optional” features then it may get somewhat more interesting.

Steve on February 9, 2009 11:35 PM

Wow…if the 250 GB Archos 5 could run an open-source OS, it would be the greatest media player in the universe.I haven’t used the A5 yet, i’m hoping some of the bugs get ironed out and they finally include some form of Last.fm support, but being able to run Android would fix just about all of the problems, I think.

joe on February 10, 2009 1:44 AM

If I remember right the Archos tablets do run Linux. Ironic, as they support no open formats.Eh, Android is still immature. I’d rather use the Nokia tablet. Now if only they would put that on a phone or get with doing more with Symbian.

Carl on February 16, 2009 12:46 AM

I just hope they add support of Messenger and Open Office with this update to enhance the capabilities of this “IMT”ps: I hope they increase the speed of flash apps by somehow shutting down all the background processes.

EGGO on February 23, 2009 12:22 AM

So this could get rid of the whole permanent ads, section.Now if the sound quality was good enough to use with my UE-11′s, then I’d be buying it in a heartbeat.Shame that this is really the only other alternative to the iPod for a large capacity player.