Calvin Klein to put MP3 Player and Portable Speakers in Fragrance Bottles

calvin klein Calvin Klein to put MP3 Player and Portable Speakers in Fragrance Bottles

I’ve seen pillows, teddy bears, cases and a lot of other stuff with audio equipment in them – but this is the first time I see a perfume bottle that comes with an included MP3 player and speaker. The somewhat bizarre combo is part of Calvin Klein’s “We are one” campaign beginning in March, and the speakers will come with the “CK One” and “CK Be” fragrances.

The idea behind it all is apparently that music is an universal language, but I still find the concept a little bit peculiar. The fragrance sells for as little as about $20 on Amazon, but the special edition bottles will most likely have a higher price tag. If you use the brand already it might be worth picking up, but I suggest you look elsewhere if you’re only after a MP3 player combo.

[selectism.com via Gizmodo]

Joseph on February 18, 2009 6:34 PM

It’s now easier to find a fragrance bottle with a built-in speaker than a DAP… oh the humanity…

samueljesusfreak on February 19, 2009 12:22 AM

If I open one of these and hear that stupid whispering Calvin Klein ad thing, I’m going to throw my bottle at someone. And hard.

MarvintheMartian on February 19, 2009 12:43 AM

When can we expect a review of the speaker? LOL

joe on February 19, 2009 1:30 AM

LOL MarvinOf course, back in school a hot red head wore CKOne. Brings back good memories everytime I smell it.

jkj1962 on February 19, 2009 8:54 AM

A better look at the speaker:http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P230224Softpedia is reporting it’s an speaker AND an MP3 player:http://gadgets.softpedia.com/news/MP3-Fragrance-from-Calvin-Klein-1368-01.htmlGuess we’ll find out eventually.

jkj1962 on February 19, 2009 8:59 AM

So much for Softpedia…I just looked at the picture on Sephora a little closer. There’s a 3.5mm plug on top, so it appears to be a speaker only.

Andreas Ødegård on February 19, 2009 1:33 PM

@jkj1962: you’re right about the MP3 player, my bad – article has been updated :)

Mike on February 19, 2009 1:36 PM

Unfortunately, unless the speaker detaches from the packaging, it likely all simply will be thrown away as trash once the fragrance is used up. More eco-waste, and in an economic recession, no less–says something about the company and its values, it seems to me, and puts the company more in the column of causers of today’s economic woes rather than a solver of problems. Real bad PR choice.

samueljesusfreak on February 19, 2009 3:56 PM

Oh, thanks.Now instead of headphone and DAP ads, all I see are fragrance banners on the front page.Beautiful.. Haha.ever think of registering anythingbutklein.com?