Cassette MP3 Player Concept

cassetteplayer Cassette MP3 Player Concept

Cassette shaped MP3 players is nothing new, but this design concept immitates more than just the design. The point is to bring back the feel of cassettes and that means the players will only hold 45, 60 or 90 minutes of music – something which would probably translate to 96, 128 and 192 MB.

The concept player will only play back files one after the other, no skipping tracks, to give that authentic feeling of a cassette. You can fast forward or rewind using one of the spools, and the other spool will let you charge the battery by turning it. Cases will be shaped like cassette covers and transfer will be done via an integrated USB plug. Since it’s only a concept it probably won’t make it to production but it’s certainly an interesting design, especially with the cassette imitation features.

[Yanko Design]

musichound on February 19, 2009 10:33 AM

I hope this does not reach production. Cassette tapes are as outdated as the Betamax and Laser disks. Out with the old, in with the new, and let’s all put yesterday’s technology behind us.

skimhitz on February 19, 2009 10:51 AM

@musichound: But because it’s old, outdated, and inferior, that makes it suddenly retro! Now it’s cool and hip, and using it makes you feel instantly smug!I was really expecting that this player would also output low quality music with a loud hiss in the background, to really give that authentic feel.

samueljesusfreak on February 19, 2009 11:42 AM

If someone needs to get this player to go back in time and experience the ‘cassette’ feeling, they are missing an important feature.After every few hours of playback, about 3 feet of magnetic tape needs to start falling out of the cassette. And you can’t listen again until it’s all back in perfectly. Oh what an experience.And does this mean that every time you listen, you have to wait ~5 minutes to ‘rewind’ until you can start it over again.I can’t see this thing hitting stores. Any store, for that matter. Now, it would be cool if they made a cassette adaptor around an mp3 player, so you can load files on it and just stick it in your car player. THAT, I would pay for.

heretic0 on February 19, 2009 11:56 AM

@samueljesusfreakCheck the product linked to in the article.

jkj1962 on February 19, 2009 12:45 PM

@musichound;Yes, real cassettes are outdated; it’s the novelty factor.I love it, and I’d buy one, and if they make an 8-track tape shaped one, I’d buy it, too.

samueljesusfreak on February 19, 2009 1:55 PM

@ hereticoThanks. I’ll have to check that out when I get home, I actually would have a really good use for something like that. I checked it out before commenting, but dx is blocked here at school. Thanks for pointing that out. :)

George_isOFF on February 19, 2009 2:58 PM

Old technology = UncoolHigh tech with retro touch = Cool

Confispect on February 19, 2009 6:14 PM

Cool, but stupid what is the point? I would buy it for laughs…like why are you using a cassette tape? It’s not dummie it’s a mp3 player lol. It could be useful to the toddler community, or 1 thru 6 maybe…

lol on February 19, 2009 7:22 PM

Well, ok, design seems OK. But this :”The point is to bring back the feel of cassettes”Why the hell do people need “the feel of cassettes” and even its very limited and outdated features ?

jkj1962 on February 19, 2009 8:14 PM

Is it not possible just to enjoy the humour and the novelty rather than try to analyze?It’s funny (not funny hilarious, just funny amusing) BECAUSE it’s new tech that looks like old tech.Maybe it’s just a case of “you had to be there” to appreciate it.

remirap on February 20, 2009 12:36 AM

then y dont u just ride horses everyday and use candlesbring back the feel

ferd burfel on February 20, 2009 9:03 AM

@remitrap:People ride horses and eat dinner by candlelight all the time.When you get a little older, move out of mommy’s house, and learn to type complete words and to use punctuation, you’ll understand.

Water Boy on February 20, 2009 3:26 PM

@ferd burfel:Grow up yourself and stop being such a twat :) I think the concept is DUMB.

ferd burfel on February 20, 2009 6:19 PM

@Water Boy:Dumb? Maybe. But that’s the point.Come back when you’re a “Water Man”.

Yer Mum on February 21, 2009 3:14 PM

Hey ferd don’t be a turd

Zoodar on February 21, 2009 3:58 PM

Why would I get this when I can just go down to the basement and get my Walkman and my casettes?

Jowsif on February 21, 2009 8:13 PM

I want one.

Sirocco on February 22, 2009 2:16 AM

I’m in the process of converting many of my mix-tapes to mp3 files. I hadn’t wanted to, but my new car doesn’t have a tape player and it wasn’t an option. But I’m very happy with the results, expecting to get the music of about 50 90-minute tapes onto my mp3 player. What a convenience. It’d be hard to go back.

ECA on February 22, 2009 8:16 AM

Umm,I think someone did this a couple years ago..

Wilsonywx on February 22, 2009 10:02 AM

So this looks really ugly. Fine. But why imitate the 90 minute cap on the length of music this thing can hold? That IMO is really stupid and whoever thought of that should be shot.

dragnandy on February 22, 2009 6:59 PM

i really like the design and looks. its very retro. however, ive grown really fond be being allowed to hold more music and skipping tracks. if they had low-profile skip/play/pause/ect. buttons and a micro-sdhc or sd card slot, that would be awesome.

Yoss on February 25, 2009 6:52 PM

While I agree that reviving retro styling can makes for cool modern products I’m not so convinced that reviving retro limitations is a good idea…

coffeelatte on February 26, 2009 10:04 PM

I thought it will be much better if they make some more development in the memory capacity,move to other album buttons and the capable to play it on a tape….that will matched when I have a long trip with my 1976′s mustang….

Mystic Kitsune on February 26, 2009 11:42 PM

yea, this one as it stands now, could do with a *hidden* skip function, so the only apparent way to go back/forth is the ff/rw buttons, but i do think the novelty is on proportions with nostalgia here~~~MysticKitsune

jared connell on February 27, 2009 9:14 PM

this has to be the dumbest thing ive ever seen. They have cassette shaped mp3 players that can actually go in a tape player and play the mp3s through the radio, which is a good idea for older cars and such. but to have a mp3 player simply because it looks like a cassette tape, and then to limit the capacity so it can feel more like listening to a tape??? that is just moronic! in the age of 32gb flash based memory drives, who the hell wants an mp3 player with 192mb??? an unoriginal idea with a stupid gimmick.

Steven on February 28, 2009 1:17 PM

You know…it would be interesting if they added a magnetic output that would match with an actual cassette player’s reader so this could be inserted into a cassette player and played just like a cassette. Then add a track advance/reverse that would be triggered by the fast-forward/rewind buttons and get rid of the ridiculous 90 minute limit.Set up your playlist before you insert it, and then you’d have an MP3 player that would play natively in an old fashioned cassette deck…

Drive-In-Freak on March 12, 2009 5:00 PM

Interesting idea for a novelty, but if I’m going to go that rout I’d rather have a real tapes and a deck.It would be a kinda fun way to give someone a ‘mix tape” (something that’s sadly becoming a lost art form) that plays itself. Just think about it. A nice little romantic gift for your special someone. You may run the risk of she or he thinking your a total tech nerd and never getting any, but it’s worth a shot just the same.Again I know it’s just a novelty, but they got the concept a bit wrong. There are two sides to a tape..remember folks? A decent tape on a good deck would have more accurate sound reproduction than an MP3 file. A decent deck has track search. Oh yea…and you can actually change out batteries and tapes so there’s no need to have a computer with you to charge it up or change music.Will they remember to put 5 seconds of silence at the beginning?..8)

LaptopBags on March 31, 2009 5:29 AM

That is so funny. I like it. Wouldn’t buy it, I don’t think, but I like it.

John on April 1, 2009 3:23 PM

The functional version is available at Chinavasion. It’s both a portable MP3 player and can be inserted into a cassette deck and played that way.http://www.chinavasion.com/product_info.php/pName/cassette-mp3-player-stand-alone-or-car-cassette-player/Not spamming, I just don’t know where else they’re available.