Cowon To Release the D2+

cowon d2 plus Cowon To Release the D2+

Cowon is doing a slight refresh on their popular D2, a player we named one of the 5 players of 2008. The product page. is in Korean, but one of the guys from Cowon’s overseas sales department emailed me to tell me there were these 3 improvements in the D2+: BBE+ sound enhancements, a brand new GUI, and updated physical design.

Sure it may not be huge news and many of you are looking towards the S9, but its nice to have the choice of this form factor. I am especially curious to see what this new GUI looks like and you have to admit that murdered out all black design is pretty hot.

The D2+ will released on the 24th of February for those interested.

cowon d2 plus s Cowon To Release the D2+

Jack4L on February 23, 2009 9:01 AM

Whats the adapter for?

Grahm on February 23, 2009 9:34 AM

@Jack4LIm not sure, It was on a list i got from Cowon. Perhaps its a USB AC adapter? or a video out adapter?

t on February 23, 2009 9:54 AM

This is still a hot little update, and I may just get this in 16gb instead of the S9.As for the adapter, it’s prob for impedance.

Ricardo Rodriguez on February 23, 2009 10:01 AM

I am very interested in the D2+ I like the form factor. Sure the S9 has more bells but I prefer the smaller form factor and if the D2+ comes in 32gb sign me up today!

devon on February 23, 2009 10:24 AM

i bet they still won’t make an armband for it…….

Grahm on February 23, 2009 10:53 AM

The D2+ is a nice option to the S9 since it has expandable memory. So if they were to release a 32GB version add a 32GB SD card and you would have a really nice 64GB form factor.

zh40 on February 23, 2009 11:04 AM

I kind of wish they cut out that extended part on the right side where the stylus slot thing is. That’s the only thing that annoys me sometimes about the way my D2 looks, just seems unbalanced to me, but that’s just my opinion I suppose.

H3O on February 23, 2009 11:38 AM

They updated the design, but it still looks ugly…

MFG on February 23, 2009 11:47 AM

Well, other than “new colors” in the outside, and new icons in the main menu (it contains 2 more options that are available only for the korean version, DMB TV and Dictionary) I don’t see any significant changes.I thought they were launching a 32GB version, or improve the video support without conversion. Maybe they finally fixed the poor random algorithm.Other that that, I don’t see any major improvements (so far).

JamieMcMe on February 23, 2009 11:50 AM

Oooh! I was giving my friend some links about the D2 (I also want a D2 myself) when I came across this!Looks awesome! :D

Blah on February 23, 2009 11:55 AM

Man I just got a S9 2 days ago and now this came up >.

Blah on February 23, 2009 11:56 AM

oh well

James on February 23, 2009 2:14 PM

Wow… I too just bought an S9 3 days ago, having been on the fence about it since it has no SD slot… then this :(

pcman on February 23, 2009 4:14 PM

I JUST BOUGHT an old d2, and now this comes out. Argh…..

Syndrome on February 23, 2009 4:25 PM

This is a nice litte update, but personally I don’t think it would be worth upgrading unless it supports higher res videos. I do have to admit though, that all black is very nice.

confispect on February 23, 2009 5:46 PM

I also just got my S9, but i’m sastified I was planing on buying a D2 after the S9 anyways….Now…I can just get the plus!

Hon on February 23, 2009 8:51 PM

wow the black one is sexy.

Phil on February 23, 2009 8:59 PM

Will Rockbox be compatible with the D2 and D2+? I’m gessing not, both because of the chips inside and the software… but one can dream, I guess… sorry Rockbox programmers…

psp on February 23, 2009 9:02 PM

Looks just like my D2 with its black silicone case, but this is probably less of a dust magnet.32GB would be nice, though…

TheDarkSide on February 23, 2009 9:25 PM

All I’m gonna’ say is “Bring It No”!!!! I need a capacity upgrade, and the silver or black D2+ will be a welcome addition!!!

Steven on February 24, 2009 12:20 AM

I want! Maybe they will bring the same GUI as the S9 has only shrunk down? That would be pretty nice because I am in need of a new D2. My old one is destroyed from heavy hard use. Wonder if they might tweak the sound quality and give us some more bass aside from the bbe+.

Elijah on February 24, 2009 2:54 AM

http://product.cowon.com/product/COWOND2PLUS/product_page_2.phpThe new GUI. Menu looks similar but that link shows a few really interesting looking Now Playing screens. (Bottom)

Noli on February 24, 2009 4:15 AM

That’s brilliant because I actually thought that the D2 sounded more useful than the S9 (less bling but more functionality where it counts!) However, they should have updated the hardware/design a bit more no? eg slimmer, smaller, shape, amoled / capacitive touchscreen etc…

AntiFritz on February 24, 2009 4:24 AM

AWSOME! the reason i never got a d2 was i absolutely hated the gui in it but loved the features + hardware.

Johan Krüger-Haglert on February 24, 2009 6:24 AM

To the people who have bought the S9:So what? I guess you bought it for the video? Because this isn’t much over the regular D2, so if you want higher res and better video support S9 is still the way to go, and if you want the memory card slot and smaller form factor D2/D2+ is the choice.Personally I would had wanted the format support of the O2 with memory card slots but all companies suck it seems so ..

Johan Krüger-Haglert on February 24, 2009 9:36 AM

And obviously it won’t run Rockbox, why even ask? Guess Cowon think they can handle it quite ok themself and I guess any other developers think there is more lacking players out there.

Grahm on February 24, 2009 10:44 AM

I updated the post, no adapter is included. It was a miscommunication.

Relyt on February 24, 2009 5:52 PM

Great – but it isn’t much of a difference from the d2. Design exterior is the basically the same. GUI looks like a crossover between the O2 and the D2 (D2 style with O2 icons and look).

Adam on February 24, 2009 7:19 PM

The maximum capacity they have listed in the store is 8Gb.The prices appears to be similar though, which is a bonus.

Rick Spoketire on February 24, 2009 9:43 PM

It’s February 24th, and I don’t think it’s out yet. Was that a Korean release date?

ka-boom on February 24, 2009 10:52 PM

Was ANYBODY asking for a “refreshed” D2? I would think the next logical update would be an S9 + SD support. Such a strange marketing move.

P! on February 25, 2009 1:05 AM

please PLEASE no database building this time, PLEASE COWON!

skimhitz on February 26, 2009 10:21 AM

@ka-boom: Cowon seems dead set on making sure that none of their players take sales away from each other. If the S9 had SD support, it would probably kill alot of D2 sales. The D2, S9, and O2 all have some great features, but are also all lacking some area. Personally, I wish they would just merge all the great features into one player.

ka-boom on February 26, 2009 5:08 PM

Well than I would think the next logical “step” for Cowon would be to release a 32GB D2. I personally don’t care about how spiffy it looks, I care about functionality.

Neil on February 26, 2009 6:26 PM

So, February 24 has come and gone. Where’s the D2+?

Luinil on February 26, 2009 8:15 PM

D2+ has been released on Feb 24th in Korea,, when will D2+ be released in the U.S.?

gizmo on March 1, 2009 4:52 AM

next month in europeeven later (if at all) in US

rolie on March 1, 2009 8:36 AM

Cmon Cowon. Why don’t you guys make some firmware upgrades for your other models? I’m not a fan of video/mp3 players. Just make a great mp3 player without the battery draining video.How about an 32GB iaudio8 that can play AAC files? Also where the shuffle functions works properly. Maybe even add some album art for ogg files and flac files.Plain and simple for audio nuts.Seriously, who get’s off watching video on a 3 inch screen? Cowon can rule them all. Stop going in the wrong direction and selling out!

David on March 1, 2009 3:49 PM

Cowon… Please Please Please…. Why waisting time on something with 2.5 inches screen, I rather wait for a 32 Iaudo 8 just for Pure Music…. Wrong Direction.. Hope Cowon get it right.. Iaudio 8 please… I am waiting….

TheDarkSide on March 3, 2009 11:27 AM

Thanks to Waroxy in the forums for posting the US link to JetAudio’s site, the D2+ is selling NOW: http://www.jetmall.net/

joe on March 3, 2009 7:09 PM

The D2 can play AAC files, even with the newest firmware. Just put any files aac with an aac ext, even if it was mp4. It works.D2 Rockbox firmware is a work in progress. It isn’t ready for prime time but it is possible.Those “now playing” screens are just the flash skins for the player, possible with the korean firmware, and are possible even with the D2. In addition, the new look is just a O2 screen.Shuffle is a bit of a wash, but think about it, do you ever listen to 256 songs in a row? It re-shuffles if you re-power on the device.The database part I agree with, but is necessary for the browsing by category page or by tag info.I just wish you could adjust the idle menu timeout; it is way too short.

glittalogik on March 10, 2009 11:27 PM

32GB S9 already, please! I’ll be first in line the moment it appears…

Bill D on August 16, 2009 12:53 AM

Anyone attempted to change their own battery? I did on my X5 and this one seems just as easy.

Pranav on January 4, 2010 6:33 AM

Please review this product @abi.looking to buy but would need another perspective!!

Steino on May 8, 2010 9:20 AM

does the D2+ run on ANDRIOD??