Device Stage on Windows 7

win7ds av Device Stage on Windows 7

The Windows 7 Beta has been out for a while now and people are mostly impressed. On top of being a more efficient OS than Vista it also has some new features that look interesting – including Device Stage. Device Stage is a system where manufacturers can make their own little mini-interface for their devices and include features like links to accessories, user manuals, access customer support and so on – directly in Windows 7 and without any additional installs.

Sony already has this working for the Windows 7 beta and it’s all very automatic and nice looking. The Device Stage works sort of like a browser and can view both web pages (like for accessories) and PDF manuals directly in the interface. You can set up syncs, view remaining capacity and battery life and a bunch of other things directly from the Device Stage page. Hit the jump for more pics showing off Device Stage for the Sony A820.

Thanks go to Atald on the diskusjon.no forum for the pictures and info!

sony walkman i windows 7 thumb 130x81 Device Stage on Windows 7BrowseFiles thumb 130x81 Device Stage on Windows 7ChangeBehaviour thumb 130x81 Device Stage on Windows 7CustomerSupport thumb 130x81 Device Stage on Windows 7AvailableAccessories thumb 130x81 Device Stage on Windows 7ManageMedia thumb 130x84 Device Stage on Windows 7NewFeatures thumb 130x81 Device Stage on Windows 7OperationGuide thumb 130x81 Device Stage on Windows 7Register thumb 130x81 Device Stage on Windows 7Sync thumb 130x81 Device Stage on Windows 7

Lekz on February 17, 2009 5:45 AM

I’ve been using Windows 7 since it was released as a public beta, and yes, it’s a pretty good OS. Also, there was a Device Stage for my Sansa Fuze from the very beginning.

c3l5o on February 17, 2009 7:03 AM

My Sansa Clip also had a Device Stage page for it from the beginning as well. Although I think it’s nothing more than bells and whistles.

Kamen on February 17, 2009 7:21 AM

I’ve been using that beauty Windows 7 for a month now, but have never seen that for my Sony S638. May be it’s time to take the Windows out of the Virtual PC ;)

William on February 17, 2009 9:19 AM

@KamenYou might need to have Aero activated.I’ve been using Device Stage with my Fuze, and so far it’s been great!

Samuel on February 17, 2009 10:47 AM

Awesome, it automatically had one for my Sansa Clip. Pretty amazing feature, but only works in MTP mode. It’s all good; it’s quite a nifty battery indicator, as well as just an easier way to manage the player. I love Windows 7, and I will use it until it expires!

Michael MArtell on February 17, 2009 11:21 AM

Brilliant Move on Microsofts part!!! Such a good idea. The important thing is if these things will be updateable (like during the latest windows update it will update with the latest players and info.)I hope it doesn’t work with Ipods. :D

Martin Sägmüller on February 17, 2009 1:19 PM

It’s just the obvious “buy stuff” link on top of the menus that’s a bit shady looking to me…

Joseph on February 17, 2009 3:04 PM

Isn’t this what we basically already have with MTP?

Relyt on February 17, 2009 5:58 PM

Yeah – W7 is great! I hope MS doesn’t kill it with a 200$+ price. The Sansa clip is also recognised too: I will get a link to a pic up later but I know that winsupersite.com’s W7 review has one.

Andy on February 23, 2009 3:21 AM

Windows 7 killed most of my mp3s when loading them into the media player.I know theres a patch out now, but i dont wanna risk having to re-encode 50gb of music again.But this is a good feature to have.