Samsung P3 to Get Firmware Update with Native Video Playback

samung p3 update Samsung P3 to Get Firmware Update with Native Video Playback

The US has yet to see the light of the P3 though it has been out for a few months in Korea and is available now in the UK. So we are in a way lucky that we will see a more feature filled and more refined P3. Journal Du Geek is reporting on the change log with the biggest news is native video playback of up to 800×600 resolutions natively. In addition on the video end they have added SMI format support and a mosaic video browser (video) similar to the S9. With this and added DNSe setting for movies.

There are some other small things like a drawing notepad similar to Paint, a Dictionary (only Korean at the moment), and also a new mirror album art now playing screen which does look very cool. More importantly they have increased the performance by 30%. Touch responsiveness was lacking in early versions I used at CES and it improved in the retail version, so this will bring it up to par with the best of the touch screen players.

My initial impressions of the P3 have been very good; however I previously questioned whether it could go head to head with the Cowon S9 since it lacked native video support. But with this soon to come update they will without a doubt be direct competitors. The touch player battle is heating up. Stay tuned to out P3 forum for its release sometime in early March

Mark Gjøl on February 23, 2009 4:33 AM

Come on! Now I’ve been drooling over the S9 for a while, and now they come and pull the P3 up to speed again! I want a clear in this, not two superb players that are impossible to choose between. :(

TheDarkSide on February 23, 2009 6:26 AM

I warned everyone not to put all their cards in 1 hand, and Samsung is proving me right. This is going to be a fabulous player, The Cowon S9 already is, and the Sony X1000 will be iceing on the cake.This is a very good year for DAP’s!!!

samueljesusfreak on February 23, 2009 11:47 AM

Wow this makes the P3 a very good contender. All depends on the US price, now.Although, just put the P3 and S9 together, and with that AMOLED, the S9 might just kill the P3

Vittorio on February 23, 2009 1:22 PM

Thanks for the great news! I’ve just bought a P3 here in Italy for 149 euros (189 usd) and I love it. Thanks again for the site and keep up the good work!

michael martell on February 24, 2009 6:25 AM

With flash support and the just released P3 SDK, I think the P3 is doing really well.

John on February 28, 2009 7:49 PM

Honestly people, Last time the P2 had their korean counter part get the updates while the US version didn’t get anything useful. There’s no doubt in my mind that they will ignore the US release a lot and you who think the P3 will be great will be stuck with the Korean version firmware on your MP3 Players.

Nathan on March 3, 2009 2:20 AM

I’ve had a P3 for several weeks(bought one in Seoul the weekend they were released.) I love the sound on my Denon AH-D1001 cans, the screen is bright and crisp, and I’ve used it for music and reading for days before recharging it.Upset: the firmware fatally crashed in less than a week, refusing to get past the boot screen, but I am inclined to think it was instigated by an error on my computer during multiple-file transfers. Samsung unhesitatingly replaced it as soon as they found an exact model (Black 16GB). I’ve had no problems since.More to the point about the firmware update: I installed the 2.07 KR (TOUCH 7.5) firmware last night. Menus and content are all set to English, no problems.JOY: The interface went from slightly sluggish to snappy–that 30% made a huge difference. Just yesterday afternoon I was looking at my coworker’s iTouch and wondering how Samsung dropped the ball on UI responsiveness–guess the fix was “The Secret” at work or something.Haven’t tested avi support yet, planning on it tonight. Now I just wish I could figure out how to read more than just txt docs on it. Thinking about converting pdf’s into swf’s to open in the flash player, but that seems way too roundabout.

abby on April 1, 2009 10:23 PM

Thank you very much for your good news, I like samsung product very much , I have got several kinds of samsung at Tradestead , they all works pretty good , I like it very much, now I just want to buy a samsung p3 this news is very nice for me!

maderin1 on April 18, 2009 2:43 AM

Hiwell this is interestingi briefly had and S9, it cost 200quid and i was truly appalled at the physical quality of the player, it felt so cheap and nasty that i could not get passed this to see the true functionality of the player.Its plastic feel and cheap feel screen i could not live with and sent it backNow i see the P3, 16GB in UK is 139quid .. vast difference and to be honest i see this as a totally differenrt class to the S9 – but time will tell, i think 139 is about the price for a player of this caliber, the S9 needs slapping down in priceOn that point these players are alomost a different price band and thus different players, the S9 is way overpriced, especially now the new SONY with OLED and wifi is put for the SAME price, this makes the S9 and even less attractive player than before, yes it has some great functionality and sound, but it is no way worth the price