New Sansa Fuze Fimware Adds Support for SlotRadio

slotradio fuze main New Sansa Fuze Fimware Adds Support for SlotRadio

SanDisk’s latest update for the Sansa Fuze fixes a bunch of bugs and adds further improvements and features. One of the more notable features is the addition of File/Folder browsing, something many Fuze fans have been campaigning for since its release. Additionally they have added a normalization feature called “Replay Gain” which basically keeps the sound normalized (same volume) throughout the song or album.

Finally, the biggest update is the addition of slotRadio support. Below are a few screenshots of the implementation and a quick overview.

If you are unfamiliar with SanDisk slotRadio microSD format it is basically a memory card with a few thousand songs locked to the card. The device, whether this is the dedicated Sansa slotRadio player, Fuze, or possibly mobile phone or other devices with a microSD slot in the future, must support the unique format.

The Fuze slotRadio support is very similar to the stand alone slotRadio, very basic. You can skip songs and change stations with the main buttons. The nice thing about this support is that it is completely tucked out of the way and only available when a slotRadio card is inserted.

I’ll get more in depth in an upcoming slotRadio review. In the mean time here are a few action shots. Grab the update using SansaUpdater or if you want the change log details and discussion check this firmware forum thread.

slotradio fuze 1 thumb 200x150 New Sansa Fuze Fimware Adds Support for SlotRadioslotradio fuze 2 thumb 200x150 New Sansa Fuze Fimware Adds Support for SlotRadio

Joe on April 9, 2009 7:38 PM

Wow, replay gain support. Cowon is falling behind…

Mike on April 9, 2009 8:04 PM

Even wower: file/folder view!

Hirudin on April 9, 2009 10:48 PM

Replay Gain support, awesome. Sold (again)!Not to figure out what to do with this X-Fi.

Hillshum on April 9, 2009 11:26 PM

They are at a losing game with Rockbox…its getting even closer to working

MarvintheMartian on April 10, 2009 12:59 AM

The Track Info is a welcome upgrade too. It’s not visible on the main “Now Playing” screen, but it is in the Music Options sub-menu.

Jimmy on April 10, 2009 8:11 AM

I’m still not sure that the format will be “thaaat” popular. The cards are small, I guess it all depends on the amount of songs, style, cost of the cards and availability.Just becuase I won’t use it doesn’t mean it won’t be popular or useful. I know that.

William Thomas on April 10, 2009 3:10 PM

Actually this may help the SlotRadio initiative. I would never purchase a SlotRadio, but I do own a fuze, and 1000 songs for 40 bucks is a pretty sweet deal, even with the asinine DRM limitations attached (come on, can’t go back? What’s the harm in that?)Despite this, 4 cents a song is pretty cool if you are looking for something to throw into your player to listen at work, or anything like that.I’m keeping my eyes open to see what type of SlotRadio cards they put out there, and if they have an 80′s music one out there I might actually grab one. Nice to know my player will play it if I do get it.

jkj1962 on April 10, 2009 3:51 PM

According to UPS’s tracking website, when I get home this evening I should have a SlotRadio bundle to check out. I anxious to see how the DRM on the card works in terms of putting the card in a PC.

Aaron on April 10, 2009 5:46 PM

I just bought an 8gb version for $57.50 shipped. I want to put videos on the play but format does it use? Please tell me. or you can e-mail me at komedian_red@yahoo.com or superdunkley@gmail.com

HulkSmashNow on April 10, 2009 5:47 PM

The latest firmware can be a bit buggy…I should know, as it caused my Fuze to not turn on along with a few other problems. Many have reported no troubles, but I thought I’d let you guys know.

jkj1962 on April 10, 2009 7:02 PM

Yea, there’s a “bug” of sorts having to do with the display when you are adjusting the volume. Normally you adjust the volume for a couple of seconds and stop moving the wheel, and the display goes back to showing the Genre. If you continue moving the wheel back and forth for more than just a few seconds, the white band behind the volume indicator goes away and you can see the wallpaper behind it. Which brings up another point..apparently it is possible to change the wallpaper. The SlotRadio section has a pattern of a sort instead of a solid color.A few other things…Apparently your position in the song list is remembered on the card, and carries over between players.The songs are not visible on a PC running Windows, Linux might be a different story.The SlotRadio menu item doesn’t appear on the Fuze unless there’s a SlotRadio card in the slot.When playing a SlotRadio card in a Fuze, clicking left or right on the wheel changes Genre, down skips the current song, and up is pause/play.The SlotRadio’s AC adapter is adorable.

Matt on April 13, 2009 1:15 AM

Hooray for volume normalization, though i’m still hoping for gapless sometime.Also, slotRadio seems neat, not sure if i’ll use it, but at least it’s there.

ericgt on April 14, 2009 3:12 AM

replay? wouldn’t it already be consistant if it were ripped from 1 cd?Now if it had BBE or Headroom, that would be a good update.

darkham on April 18, 2009 1:37 AM

i buy one today and i can’t make a full first charge: if i plug the reader in every of my 8 usb 2.0 ports, the reader seems charge for 20 seconds and later seems full, if i unplug i’ve the battery status like before plug.Someone knows about this issue?

Cole on April 20, 2009 10:30 PM

There is a bug in mine and i want to know if any one is experiencing this. When your watching a video and you turn it off while playing “it says goodbye etc” normally when you turn it one it goes back to were you were left off.however with this new update you get this little thumbnail of the video, the vid title, and progress bar, you go yo the main menu and you can’t see any icons only text, when select something it locks up and you have to hard restart. when it turns on it “refreshes your media” anyone else have this problem

kieran on April 23, 2009 6:19 AM

Nice song :)

alex on May 7, 2009 10:11 PM

cole mine does the same thing but unlike your problem it looks fine but it doesnt let you change to anything and does not respond to anything i do so i jus reformatted the fuze put on my songs and just kinda am working without the videos till a new update which kinda sux but oh well (dont get the replay gain thing can someone help me understand how it works?)

tradersancho on May 13, 2009 11:24 PM

@alexSome of my albums are different volume levels then the other ones. If I’m listening to all of my songs on random, the volume can jump greatly between songs.With replay gain, you can scan all of your songs (regardless of format) and it will not alter the music, but it will store metadata about how loud each song is.When you play back the music on the Fuze, it will then adjust the volume on the song so that each song is at the same volume level.I use Foobar2000 to scan the replaygain levels for my songs, but there are other options.You have to turn on Replay Gain in the Fuze. It’s in the Music Options menu.

R. Papovich on June 11, 2009 1:42 AM

I’m going to pick up the 80s and 90s card. I upgraded my Fuze, now I just need a card. It’s cool on the Fuze cause I can still do my thing with or without slotRadio. I haven’t heard the cards yet but it sounds like the bit rate is decent so we’ll just have to see.

BW on June 17, 2009 8:16 AM

No love for my c250 ~_~

Mantvis on June 27, 2009 10:43 AM

Thank you Sandisk for listening to feedback. I will go and buy one on Monday. Have been using Clip 4 GB for a year now, but would prefer more space and battery life.

Joe on January 26, 2010 5:01 PM

Why does my screen turn white when I turn on replay gain.Then I must power reset.

Andrew on March 14, 2010 5:16 PM

Can someone tell me why my slot radio icon will not dissappear? I’m not using it or ANY card but it’s still there and only gives me a web address to go to when I click it!

Pat on April 5, 2010 12:27 AM

Now if they would just get rid of the low level clicking that can be heard on all voice recordings.