Record Labels Still Hate You. #warnerfail

warnerfail Record Labels Still Hate You. #warnerfail

According to his own blog, 18 year old Even Sandvold Roland is a big fan of Dave Matthews Band. His excitement was therefor high when he discovered that their new album was going to be released bit by bit ahead of time on iTunes. Hitting the link, he got the all too familiar message (at least for us in Europe) “only available in the USA”. Annoyed as one can understand, he tweeted the following message on the microblog service twitter (translated from Norwegian): “Pissed now! iTunes Music Pass for Dave Matthews Band’s new album is only available in the USA. Typical! Don’t complain about pirating!”

Nothing out of the ordinary so far, but the reply he got from the Artists and Repertoire manager from Warner Music Norway, Terje Pedersen, certainly explains why there’s now a trend on Twitter called #warnerfail: “I think you should steal it, then you can brag about the process on your little kid blog afterward. After all I don’t want you to be angry”. It should also be mentioned that the Norwegian word for “little kid” (alternately “brat”, “little kid” is from the Oxford dictionary) he used is a curse word that doesn’t have a good translation, and that directly translated it would be “shit kid”.

The story has blown up big time and Even has been on radio talking about it, as well as his own blog and articles in national newspapers in Norway. the original reply from Terje Pedersen has been deleted, but can still be seen as a screenshot on Even’s blog and at the time of this writing it can also be seen by searching for “drittungebloggen” on Twitter. Terje Pedersen later apologized for the incident in a comment on Even’s blog, but frankly the apology talked more about why the record industry is still in the stone age.

The story is probably not over yet and I’m sure we’ll hear more about it in the next few days. Record companies are extremely busy digging their own graves these days, with the Pirate Bay trial giving pirating more free advertising than anyone could have hoped (or feared) and I doubt Warner will have more supporters after this little stunt. That fact makes it even more ironic that this whole story started because Even tried to pay for his music, but no-one would take his money.

Nic on April 23, 2009 3:48 PM

[Quote]That fact makes it even more ironic that this whole story started because Even tried to pay for his music, but no-one would take his money. [/Quote]This sums it up all right there. If only the music industry could understand how hard it is to buy/get their product compared to other products in this electronic age…

ascariss on April 23, 2009 5:24 PM

Unfortunately sometimes this is a problem with copyrights and so forth. I have this problem with house and EDM in general, especially on beatport and djdownload. Some tracks are territory restricted and cannot be bought in various regions, and this of course is a problem, since I want to buy the song(s).Not sure why warner music norway can’t release a warner music USA album or song, perhaps its a deal for all of europe for a release in all EU states? not sure. But it is true, most old school companies that deal with music or music are behind the times and need to get with the program.

Martin Sägmüller on April 23, 2009 6:21 PM

Holy crap, the mainstream music industry is getting more ridiculous by the minute. Does “awful music” equal “better lawyers” as of now?

Relyt on April 23, 2009 6:54 PM

Wow!

EGGO on April 23, 2009 10:11 PM

There’s been plenty of times when I tried to legitimately buy a song off of beatport or djdownload and it’s NOT available for purchase “in my territory”Had no choice. I have and would be just as pissed as this kid.

Johan Krüger-Haglert on April 24, 2009 2:15 AM

So, when will he be up for trial?I mean, he try to convince the other guy to steal it, right? That’s as much or more assistance than TPB offers. TPB rarely tell you “OMG GO DOWNLOAD WANTED IT’S REALLY GOOD!”

sfrued on April 24, 2009 5:47 AM

Something tells me mafia methods (police investigator Jim Keyzer and judge Tomas Norstrom’s cooperation combined with paying law firms to do illegal Internet surveillance) and cursing at social websites don’t file under all PR is good PR…To divide Internet after physical land borders is as artificial as the Berlin Conference of 1884′s dividing of Africa. Let’s hope this imperialist dinosaur dies so we can be free to buy music!

cromag on April 25, 2009 2:50 AM

I ran into something like this myself, but I’m in the states. Growing up I had the LP Evergreen Vol 2 by the Stone Poneys. The CD was briefly available, it sold out from all locations I know of, in less than a year. It was available for download only through a European service, and I got as far as putting it in my download queue before they notified me that I was in the states and couldn’t download it.Interestingly enough, also Warner’s.

Daonein1 on April 26, 2009 1:20 PM

well almost abt same case here in India. I cannot purchase and download songs from stores like itunes….even in the market certain CDs are hard to find becos the artist is not famous here or maybe the label has not released it here..for eg. I love cascada, along with me there are lot of fans of cascada in India (u can check that on orkut). but till date, cascada’s album has not been officially released here in India…..

sys admin on May 2, 2009 1:27 PM

This is why we need to drive the existing record labels into bankruptcy.Whoever replaces them will have better manners.

igwa on May 3, 2009 9:07 AM

Making records costs money, so does making movies. In this case we are talking about Dave Matthews but the indie artists who record are paying out of their own pockets, and unless they use a third party service like iTunes or Tunecore they can’t get on most major digital storefronts.They WISH they could get pirated in some cases, because that at least would spread the word, but at what point then, would those who downloaded them, help those artists make back the money they spent and likely don’t have now.The whole thing gets pretty complicated fast and though yes, the few remaining Mega Majors have totally failed in finding proper solutions and were totally late to the party (understatement), I just hope there isn’t a continual backlash against the idea of ever opening the wallet and Finding a way to compensate the artist. Heck even the labels who invest in the records are deserving of some remuneration. This stuff doesn’t make itself and the people who design the album covers, the ads, who master the tracks – they don’t pay themselves either.Somehow this all has to meet in the middle. Like I said, it’s complicated.

igwa on May 3, 2009 9:08 AM

sorry I meant “third party service like CDBaby or TuneCore – getting on iTunes is virtually impossible)

Dan Foley on May 4, 2009 10:51 AM

Actually, if you sign up to CDBaby you can opt in to their digital distribution service, which will make your songs available on itunes…