Creative Zii EGG Developer Edition Preview

creative zii egg dev main Creative Zii EGG Developer Edition Preview

Creative started shipping the dev edition of the Zii EGG. From a few hours of browsing though the OS is feels like it is a long way from the consumer market. In fact recently the SDK roadmap outlining the various functionality of the Zii EGG appeared on Engadget showing a few months ahead.

Below is a few photos of the video preview of the hardware and a quick and dirty look at the Plaszma OS. I stress this several times in the video that this is a developer edition so you cannot judge the OS yet- it is very rough.

The hardware is what you would expect from Creative and the Zii EGG has a build quality similar to the Zen X-Fi or Zen (Newer version)- it feels plastiy and toy like but is still well made and rugged. The only thing that really bothers me and i hope that this gets changed is the screen material. I haven’t dug too far into it but it appears to be a similar screen to the Zen plastic with a plastic film on top with a really bad glare- definitely low end materials. The screen is a glass composite. I was wrong in that the plastic film is removable unlike the Zen.

As I dig into it more I will share more thoughts and videos. In the mean time check out the video and pics below and stop in our Creative Zii EGG forum for discussion.

creative zii egg 01 thumb 150x112 Creative Zii EGG Developer Edition Previewcreative zii egg 02 thumb 150x112 Creative Zii EGG Developer Edition Previewcreative zii egg 03 thumb 150x112 Creative Zii EGG Developer Edition Previewcreative zii egg 04 thumb 150x112 Creative Zii EGG Developer Edition Previewcreative zii egg 05 thumb 150x112 Creative Zii EGG Developer Edition Previewcreative zii egg 06 thumb 150x112 Creative Zii EGG Developer Edition Previewcreative zii egg 07 thumb 150x112 Creative Zii EGG Developer Edition Previewcreative zii egg 08 thumb 150x112 Creative Zii EGG Developer Edition Previewcreative zii egg 09 thumb 150x112 Creative Zii EGG Developer Edition Previewcreative zii egg 10 thumb 150x112 Creative Zii EGG Developer Edition Previewcreative zii egg 11 thumb 150x112 Creative Zii EGG Developer Edition Previewcreative zii egg 12 thumb 150x112 Creative Zii EGG Developer Edition Previewcreative zii egg 13 thumb 150x112 Creative Zii EGG Developer Edition Previewcreative zii egg 14 thumb 150x112 Creative Zii EGG Developer Edition Previewcreative zii egg 15 thumb 150x112 Creative Zii EGG Developer Edition Previewcreative zii egg 16 thumb 150x112 Creative Zii EGG Developer Edition Previewcreative zii egg 17 thumb 150x112 Creative Zii EGG Developer Edition Previewcreative zii egg 18 thumb 150x112 Creative Zii EGG Developer Edition Previewcreative zii egg 19 thumb 150x112 Creative Zii EGG Developer Edition Preview

Relyt on August 28, 2009 4:50 PM

I still don’t really get the purpose of this thing.

DaHarder on August 28, 2009 7:26 PM

What’s there to ‘get’? It’s a development platform for some new technologies – Pure and Simple. It’s remarkably capable, and I can’t wait to see where it goes (especially when Android gets ported to it next month).

GimmeTheLoot on August 28, 2009 9:58 PM

Im looking for an internet tablet.. 2010 is gonna be interesting.

dragnandy on August 28, 2009 11:34 PM

i just cant help but notice that the zii looks alot like an iphone w/ a black hard case. i know its completely different, but some parts just look similar.

DaHarder on August 29, 2009 12:50 AM

Yes, there is more than a passing similarity, but… So many things are so far superior (screen brightness/color saturation), sound quality, processor(s), etc.) that any visual likenesses are all but moot.Personally, I just love the fact that the Zii is not locked into one person’s tyrannical ideal of what I can/can not do with my media device. This is as close to a real ‘open source’ platform as I’ve witnessed in the DAP/PMP realm.

darkEnd on August 29, 2009 1:00 AM

DaHarder stop talking; start developing something

The DarkSide on August 29, 2009 6:46 AM

he doesn’t need to develop anything, he just needs give his opinion of the Zii. And, he’s usually spot on.

The DarkSide on August 29, 2009 6:48 AM

He doesn’t need to develop anything, he just needs give his opinion of the Zii. And, he’s usually spot on.PS: Get your own name,………..

B-boy USA on August 29, 2009 1:57 PM

You spelt plastiy *plasticy .Hmmmm , Im thinking about getting the ipod touch 3rd generation.

derp on August 29, 2009 2:44 PM

*plasticky

DaHarder on August 29, 2009 3:54 PM

The new Touch looks to more of the same, except with a cam (Yippee). Same lame, washed-out, dull, lifeless LCD, and the same mediocre sound quality. I, for one, no longer care to look at it, or any other rotten fruit products. It’s a good choice for those who prefer having every aspect of what their devices can and can not do dictated by Lord Steve, but I think it’s time to move on to something more; more flexible, more customizable, more developable. To Each Their Own.

ultrauber on August 30, 2009 2:53 AM

Any idea as to when the consumer version comes out?What’s the pricing gonna be like?I know the dev kit is $399, but the consumer version?

Martin on August 30, 2009 4:46 AM

WhAt a uGly PMP….Plastic!!!!!

tim on August 30, 2009 5:42 AM

hi,please tell me where i can find the track you’ve played in your review (before- robotic) ?

The DarkSide on August 30, 2009 4:08 PM

That’s it,………..I say get Android up and running on this and I’m getting a Zii myself. It’s a welcome change IMO – great toy for me.

Macca on August 31, 2009 12:40 AM

Am I the only one that sees the irony in anythingbutipod reviewing and recommending a device that’s basically a blatant iPod Touch knock-off in both GUI and hardware design???

epithetless on August 31, 2009 1:45 AM

@Macca: I’d venture to say aBi’s primary complaints about iPods focus not their appearance, but the locked-down nature of their closed-system design. In those respects, the Zii couldn’t be more different from the iPod.

ajai on August 31, 2009 2:16 AM

I hope this can support the formats out there. I am not into Zune HD for the moment because of lack of Divx/Xvid support.If Zii cant support Divx/Xvid i am sticking with my old zen.

Omar on August 31, 2009 10:04 AM

ipod touch knock-off? in UI, maybe although it keeps many of the zen looks, which is something Creative patented in the first place and got some nice money from apple to use it. As to the hardware, are you kidding? other than the form factor, there is nothing in the hardware that screams ipod touch or apple for that matter. This thing has a hardware and ipod can only dream of.

mik3andik3 on August 31, 2009 2:21 PM

i think the zii looks pretty sweet and all, but what turns me off about it is its cheap materials. (especially the screen)

shig on August 31, 2009 3:16 PM

I do really like the look of this thing, but I am a developer and I’m having trouble seeing the point of the OS. The iPhone is a cock to develop for, so it’d be nice to have an open environment to play with… but that’s what Android’s for.

Tony on August 31, 2009 3:18 PM

If it were a child you could say that one of its parents is an ipod. It does have the same shape and look. Apart from that, it is one of the most open source devices on the market which the ipod is not and it has wide flexibility in its OS which the ipod doesn’t have. I think it will have a popularity similar to Windows and Linux, we know one is so much better but the other is marketed so well we all have it. I think this device has potential.

StinkySkunk on September 3, 2009 12:03 PM

Finally! Give it a year and Creative will finally have a product that will rival anything Apple can produce. I’ve always bought Creative mp3 players and love them dearly, the new technology combined with the Android OS should have open source developers all over the world creaming themselves. Lets just hope they don’t sell the chip to Apple!

andy on September 9, 2009 3:26 PM

y not sell the chip to apple, more competition = better productsand itouch updates this year are lame, only an idoit would buy

Zen00 on September 11, 2009 10:32 PM

So, I can hardly wait for this to come out. Wonder when they’re going to announce a launch. Also hope that it will sell around $250, 275.

ThatGuy on September 12, 2009 4:08 PM

Umm, not to be “that guy” but you write for a website that focuses on gadgets and you didn’t realize that that plastic film was removable?Yikes.Now that I got that out of the way… I’m very interested in a Zii, can’t wait for the consumer model so I can finally get away from my iPod Touch 1g.

IDKDUDE on September 12, 2009 5:05 PM

Wow. Looks like this has everything anyone could ever want in a PMP.However, WHERE’S THERADIO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!RADIO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!RADIO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weyzor on September 13, 2009 4:13 AM

If you showed this to 100 people, 99 would say it’s an iPod touch. After telling them it isn’t, 50 would still don’t believe you.It’s size, design and OS does really look like taken from the iPod Touch.It’s no me saying this, but everyone else. But I guess I should not write this on this one blog, flame commence.

Sham on September 14, 2009 1:03 PM

Hey does anyone know when the consumer model is come out? And is the battery life as bad for the Zii as its for the Ipod touch (when it comes to applications and Wifi)?

kwilli on September 15, 2009 12:10 AM

I looked online it seems that the zii egg & the touch are not for sale in the US.

The DarkSide on September 27, 2009 9:01 PM

i~ve just realised that i am a bender