Opera Selected as Creative Zii EGG’s Default Browser

zii egg opera Opera Selected as Creative Zii EGG’s Default Browser

Creative has selected Opera as the default browser for their Plaszma OS powering the upcoming Zii EGG. One of the reasons they have chosen Opera was for its “Web application” platform to make it easier for developers to jump right in. This is what Archos did with their last generation of devices such as the Archos 5. Honestly, the web applications for Opera in the Archos 5 were far from impressive; however, it could have been from the lack of developer interest.

Keep in mind that they are only talking about the Plaszma OS and that the Zii EGG is wide open to other OSes such as Android. Partners can still select whatever browser or OS they want and brand it accordingly.

[ZiiLabs]

Relyt on August 5, 2009 4:33 PM

Do we know when the Zii Egg is expected to be released?

sim on August 5, 2009 5:20 PM

I’d say it’s a good choice. Although I’m a Firefox user myself.

warisz00r on August 5, 2009 11:53 PM

I use Opera Mini for Internet browsing on my mobiles. If the one on the Zii is going to be anywhere as good then I’m happy.

originalpimp322 on August 6, 2009 2:29 AM

What a mistake and just when I was starting to get exited about the Zii. Opera on the Archos 5 was definitely nothing to be excited considering the terrible web applications it offered. Every time I turn on the TV I see a commercial about an app for just about everything but wiping by ass. With that choice they better have great something prepared (with Opera) to blow that ibulls**t out the water.

theBishop on August 6, 2009 10:32 AM

@originalpimp322Don’t read too much into this. Remember the Plazma is above all a means to get the “StemCell” processing into people’s hands. The Zii(Egg) is not even confirmed as a consumer product. OEMs are free to take this hardware as is, or with Android, or with some other software of their choosing.

Bonk on August 6, 2009 10:52 AM

I just don’t understand why Creative believes others will want its platform or hardware or anything of theirs for that matter when they have far less presence in the portable media player market than they once had.

Christopher Palian on August 6, 2009 11:21 AM

I pre-ordered one to put Android on and test my applications that I will be developing on it. With out buying a G1. Though knowing when the release date would be would be nice.

ham88 on August 6, 2009 2:22 PM

I want one NOW!!!!!!!!!!My visino:m had better last until this thing is released, or until we find out its not going to be a consumer product.

DL on August 6, 2009 2:29 PM

I know absolutely nothing about developing software or anything like that, but I’m so anxious to get my hands on the the Zii it’s almost unbearable. Though I think lacking Opera might be a problem seeing as with it on the Archos 5 it couldn’t even play pandora.

Mowgli on August 6, 2009 2:34 PM

Opera ugh… Just please get some good developers Zii. The iphone can’t have ‘em all.

aaa on August 6, 2009 11:50 PM

Really this might be more similar Opera Mobile (Windows Mobile, some HTC phones have default) than Opera for Devices (Wii, Archos, Nokia N810) but it depends really how well Plaszma works, on the Archos for example, the Opera browser had more features than the Wii’s but the Wii’s generally runs better performance-wise because the underlying OS is better

lawrence on August 7, 2009 10:46 AM

Safari was an okay browser.But when Apple implemented it on its ipod touch it really wasn’t all that great. There’s a couple restrictions.Hopefully Creative won’t do the same

regg on August 7, 2009 11:28 AM

I’m a Nokia N800 user myself, who still can’t understand why this thing hasn’t got a phone in it.Browser-centered apps are all fair and square, but you have to have constant web access for them to really be of any use.And if you really want to carry two devices (= Egg + phone) around with you, they should be a smartphone and a recharger.

andy on August 10, 2009 2:19 PM

does anybody know if its GPS will work just like any other GPS device on the market?I need to buy a GPS and if I’m thinking straight, I might as well go for a device like the zii which would offer so many other things.

lawrence on August 11, 2009 9:49 AM

Well, it’s possible. If the iphone can have the GPS you’re thinking of, I don’t see why the zii can’t

jacobdrj on August 13, 2009 7:50 PM

This looks amazing. Only 2 caveats: No HD radio and the possibility that the SD card will not be indexed and combined with the internal memory. It is why I stopped using my Zen 16gb.I want the Zune HD so much because of the HD radio. It sucks that it will lack an SD card slot, GPS, etc, but I want that portable radio!!!

DawnHand on August 18, 2009 5:05 AM

I spent a couple of hours reading all the technical stuff over at zii.com the other night – I’m a little bit ashamed to say that I couldn’t resist. I ordered myself the SDK (with the free 32GB Zii Egg). Sure, they say it might not have all the functionality or features at launch for developers – but if you look through the old news releases at ziilabs, they say that firmware updates will bring those, or one can write/acquire software to use them. I’d imagine that by the time the consumer version is released they’ll all be in the official firmware anyhow. The draw of the platform and Android apps won me over, along with what is really a pretty nice feature set – I am studying Software Engineering though, I can see it’s not for everyone in this form!