Samsung R1 User Interface Demoed

The Samsung R1 will look familiar to P3 owners- it shares the same structure with some added features. The one big difference is the R1’s UI is in landscape mode compare to the P3 and it looks a bit more comfortable. The screen resolution is slightly smaller than the P3 at 400×240 (2.6”) but the main difference is the video out function for up to 5 hours of playback. Like the P3 the R1 will have be able to playback most codecs you throw at it without transcoding.

The R1 should appear sometime in September. Priced only in Euros for now but USD will likely correspond- €150/€200/€280 for 8GB/16GB/32GB.

[Le Journal du Geek | GenMP3]

samsung r1 out Samsung R1 User Interface Demoed

Metalman on August 14, 2009 4:22 PM

The UI looks very very responsive and well thought out. Too bad this was a demo with the screens seemingly simulated…either way, very impressed with the little changes Samsung has made including the music finder and the ability to put up not only widgets but icons as well

Danny on August 14, 2009 4:57 PM

But its a let down that only a few changes were made.Cant see any real reason to upgrade from my p3.

Siebenstein on August 14, 2009 7:42 PM

I don’t see the reason why this made the homepage. This is all simulation, and you can draw no conclusions as to how responsive the screen really is. I think it’s going to be the same mess as on the P3.Also, who needs those stupid widgets? This UI has been, and continues to be a mess.

Serio on August 15, 2009 6:09 AM

Couldn’t the connection with the phone via bluetooth also be used on say the Zii?

ITrush on August 15, 2009 10:36 AM

Looks really cool especially the new features.. hope to hold one soon.

Gabe HEaton on August 15, 2009 7:15 PM

there better be wifi!

sim on August 15, 2009 7:39 PM

hey look actually useful widgets, such as the battery and now playing one…

lawrence on August 16, 2009 6:01 PM

This isn’t very original. Looks like a copy of the ipod / iphone interface to me. See the resemblance?

jacobdrj on August 16, 2009 7:20 PM

I don’t know if I am ‘digging’ the touch screen… I have not yet had a touch screen pmp of my own yet, but thinking about it, and looking at this video, I am starting to re-think my position on my next PmP.

kateM on August 18, 2009 3:31 AM

‘Today’s words’ memo pad says ‘Apple Gaurantee”.a) Apple? Hmmm… could that have ANYTHING to do with the company?b) Gaurantee. They spelt guarantee wrong. Classy.Other than that, makes me almost regret buying my beautiful P3. It’s nice to see that they haven’t wasted space on the front with pointless borders around the touch screen.

maderin1 on August 29, 2009 5:51 AM

well i hope that they apply all the changes made in the UI to the P3 or i am gonna be a little pissed, apart from the tv out there is nothing in this player different from the P3, lower spec really, but i do want to see all those UI enhancement make there way to the P3 unless samsung really are ignoring the development of the P3 completely now as they seem to be doing which basically means i do not trust samsung at all now and feel lete down by their lack of casr for older (but still very new) products