Creative Announces, Unboxes, and Demos the Zen X-Fi 2 Touch Screen

creative zen xfi2 Creative Announces, Unboxes, and Demos the Zen X Fi 2 Touch Screen

Looks like Creative has been busy cooking up some other players aside from the Zii EGG. The Zen X-Fi 2 is a touch screen second edition of their last Zen X-Fi. Models will come in 8/16/32GB and sell for $130/$180/$230. The press release doesn’t say when it will be available but says it will be available for pre order on Amazon shortly, so it seems it should be here in time for the holidays. Below is a list of features or you can see more at the X-Fi2 mini site.

Creative ZEN X-Fi2 Features Include:

• Capacity: 8GB, 16GB & 32GB
  • Dimensions: 102 x 57 x 11.6mm
  • Weight : 75g
  • A vibrant 3-inch TFT Touch Screen LCD with 262,000 color
  • X-Fi Audio Enhancement
  • Audio formats: MP3, WMA(DRM9), Audible4, AAC, FLAC
  • Video / Audio Out: PAL or NTSC in stereo
  • RSS: Display RSS content feeds offline (Sync via PC)
  • Expansion slot: microSD memory card slot (memory not integrated)
  • Built-in speaker
  • Customizable UI
  • Video format support: WMV9, MPEG4-SP, DivX** 4/5, XviD
  • Photo formats: JPEG, BMP
  • Built-in microphone for voice recording
  • Built-in FM radio with 32 presets
  • Clock / Alarm / Calendar / Task / Contacts Functions (Sync with Microsoft Outlook via PC/laptop)

Creative Zen X-Fi 2 Unboxing

Creative did their own unboxing and UI demo videos, odd, but cool.

Samuel on September 2, 2009 1:44 PM

I might actually get this eventually. I just need something to watch my shows on and listen to my music, sad to say many companies kindof lost the plot and stopped focus on what really matters like audio quality. FLAC is really the way to go and the touchscreen is a nice touch.

MarvintheMartian on September 2, 2009 1:44 PM

Looks like they stole the Sansa Clip’s shorty USB cable!

gebal on September 2, 2009 2:01 PM

“looks like an itouch” in 5, 4, 3, 2…and I’ve got to say, it aint looking to trim either. Creative cock up on asthetics, AGAIN!

Duke Lukem on September 2, 2009 3:33 PM

This doesn’t look very good to me. The interface appears to be really sluggish.

turbomother on September 2, 2009 3:37 PM

i live my creative zen. it sounds good has a good screen and has a good interface, but when it comes time to replace it, i will probibly go withe the zune hd. and they have always included that tiny usb cable.

Richard A on September 2, 2009 4:34 PM

They still don’t have integrated memory? With most people buying their music digitally now, 32 GB is not big enough for me. I know they are including a memory slot, but I would like to have memory integrated. If my $80 Sansa Fuze can do it, then a $130 Creative Zen should do it as well.

DaHarder on September 2, 2009 4:39 PM

I Creative has not found need to do something about the abysmal volume output of the X-Fi’s headphone jack, and the lackluster sound quality, this player will be a huge FAIL with me…

Martin Sägmüller on September 2, 2009 6:03 PM

18bit (256k color) *TFT* in 2009? They have to be kidding…. Hello, earth to Creative, we have 24bit AMOLED screens nowadays.

Pinot on September 2, 2009 7:31 PM

I still have my Creative Zen, and it works fine, never really thought this X-fi thing did the trick at all. Sonys x-series did audio enhancement so muuuch better. Aaaanyways.. this player looks like a rushed product, the touch screen is painfully Un-accurate/slow as seen in the videos, and the player barely has ANY new features..nope no new features at all, they could have called it Zen x-fi 3″ instead. I hope they make a video-converter too suit the 3″ creative, so we X owners can use that aswell :P

dragnandy on September 3, 2009 12:41 AM

what type of touch screen is this? im also concerned with the response, it seems that its a little slow/laggy from the video.but at this price, and features, i think this is a great deal

blackburn on September 3, 2009 3:30 AM

Creative not so creative. Sluggish and probably another firmware upgrade nightmare. The only good thing is flac support. Just curious about battery life.. My zen micro had to be charged every 2 days.

Alan on September 3, 2009 8:06 AM

Wow! This looks like it might fit the bill perfectly for my girlfriend to use to listen to audio books as she falls asleep. Speaker means she doesn’t have to wear headphones and the new touch screen means it should be easy to operate in the dark I just hope it an easy to use sleep timer.

sim on September 3, 2009 9:21 AM

oh nice, i might get

kratonator on September 3, 2009 1:20 PM

This is yet another disappointing player from Creative. The design is not creative at all, the UI is very sluggish and kinda ugly.Weak effort from Creative.

The DarkSide on September 4, 2009 7:21 AM

all I want to know is “Where the hell is the consumer version of the Zii???”

dragonfly on September 5, 2009 2:18 AM

Made for Walmart IMO

logik on September 6, 2009 4:04 AM

looks like they stole a lot off archos, first security, then a familia interface.

Aspect on September 7, 2009 11:07 AM

No more wifi?

WickerBloke on September 9, 2009 12:19 PM

If this player manage to capture the (few) useful aspects of a touch interface, combined with good sound quality and decent battery capacity, then I’m definitely going to buy it.I think I can live without wifi and hd support. I mean, it sounds useful, but it takes a rather large device before it’s done well. This player isn’t supposed to be a ‘allround-wifi-gps-hd-camera-recorder-blunt weapon-gadged’ :P

humorsimpson on September 14, 2009 8:20 AM

I agree with those who say that the memory needs to be integrated. Haven’t Creative’s other products been beaten up in the press because of non-integration of the expansion memory? C’mon Creative get with it.

utopia on September 24, 2009 7:37 PM

I swear saw a demo where the SD card was parsed and added to the library.

MJ on October 16, 2009 10:07 AM

I like my ZEN X-Fi, but I don’t like the fact the screen doesn’t fade to off when it’s playing music, like the ZEN V Plus does. This doesn’t help the battery life and I don’t want to use Hold because then I can’t change tracks as quickly. Why the firmware isn’t set up to detect you’re playing music and fade the screen to off, I don’t know. Is this something they have implemented on the ZEN X-Fi 2?

obkinobee on October 29, 2009 3:02 PM

i have my zen for years and i love it. I have been waiting for a newer version to come on the market that might interest me and i think this is the one. I know it has some big flaws but it makes up for them in the sound quality. Plus i love the build in speaker.