Samsung Unveils YP-M1 at IFA in Berlin

Samsung YP M1 DMB Samsung Unveils YP M1 at IFA in Berlin
Samsung earlier this week unveiled its latest PMP offering, the YP-M1, at the 2009 IFA in Berlin. The M1 is being touted by some as Samsung’s answer to the Zune HD, mainly because it’s sporting Nvidia’s powerful new Tegra chipset under the hood.

The YP-M1 features a 3.3-inch 480×272 AMOLED touchscreen, 720P playback and will be available in 8,16 and 32GB flavors. It also features a micro-SD slot, bluetooth support, and built-in stereo speakers. Noticeably absent is WiFi support. Without WiFi, the M1 may have a tough time going up against the Zune HD.

The YP-M1 should be available in the UK later this month. No word yet on whether or not the M1 will make an appearance in the States. In the meantime check out the video demo below.

[Moveplayer | Pocket-lint]

Relyt on September 7, 2009 4:31 PM

How does it stack up against the P3 in your opinion?

GimmeTheLoot on September 7, 2009 5:49 PM

interface seems more clunky than the ZHD

Bouch on September 7, 2009 5:56 PM

It really does seem to be an improvement on the screen side over the P3, i am still wondering whether its a capacitive screen though. Another nice addition is Stereo Speakers like the Yp S5 that i used to have.I would by it if it only had:WIFIFlash Support-You tube,etc…A Camera, look at the size of it!!!

jason on September 7, 2009 6:03 PM

Erm it wont struggle against the ZuneHD (in the UK at least) as it will actually be available in the shops…unlike the Zune.Pretty much the same situation in every other civilised country in the world except one.This Samsung will outsell the Zune several to one.

ascariss on September 7, 2009 6:29 PM

Hmm that UI seems a bit odd and cluttered at times. perhaps the absence of wifi will mean a higher up model with wifi will surface?

Hayato on September 7, 2009 10:06 PM

Even though the M1 doesn’t have the super slick UI of the Zune HD, or Wi-Fi, i’d seriously consider an M1 simply because it has a wider range of supported formats, and also no being tied down to proprietary software.

Alex on September 8, 2009 1:48 AM

I think this is a better video of the UI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89ElnU514ek Enzoten..

ascariss on September 8, 2009 12:28 PM

thanks alex for the second video, it does look better but it seems that the UI is jerky and slow at times and not as responsive as I would want it to be.

matt9282 on September 8, 2009 5:51 PM

It also has a micro SD slot which the Zune HD does not

Scott on September 9, 2009 3:23 AM

Ascariss, Korean players such as Samsung and Cowon are unlikely to include wifi any time soon, as free wifi spots are almost non-existent here. My missus has an Apple iPod Touch, and the wifi is virtually useless. Consequently, Korean manufacturers are unwilling to shell out the extra coin necessary to put wifi into their players – especially since their main market is still domestic.

Jim on September 9, 2009 12:12 PM

Like some others have said: this Samsung’s pluses over the Zune include not being tied to resource intensive proprietary software, FLAC support and a micro-SDHC card slot with integrated memory.

Simon on September 10, 2009 4:02 AM

I’m interested to know more about this UK release date. Having waited an age for the YP P3 32gb which I pre-ordered and still hasn’t been released here, I’m wondering if I should instead pre-order this! Tbh, the idea of tegra really tickles my fancy, espec if there is 3rd party firmware in future that can make better use of it.Any ideas people?

Relyt on September 10, 2009 9:37 PM

@SimonI’d say wait until the release of this and then make a decision.

Brendan on September 13, 2009 4:28 PM

Anybody know what the exterior is made out of?seems like its plastic which doesnt really show durability like the p3….

Shifterfire on September 21, 2009 11:21 AM

Well I’ve been waiting for the P3 32 Gb for ages and even when it comes out in the UK, I can probably add some more ages to it.Does anyone know what codec’s it is able to handle. That was one of the reasons I was looking forward to the P3. I’m considering to get the M1 instead.

h1a8 on October 11, 2009 1:42 PM

I hope this is gapless or it is a fail.

Meistah on October 17, 2009 11:52 PM

My friend brought one of these back with her from Korea. (8GB model) I found the interface easy to navigate and very responsive. The video quality is superb, as is the sound quality of the unit. I only played with it for a few minutes, but I’m definitely getting one myself.

razi on March 1, 2010 1:49 PM

@meistah*so what is the body material?is it plastic or metal like p3?and the touchscreen..does it has haptic feedback?

Jason on March 12, 2010 4:55 PM

I’m in the UK and this still hasn’t hit the shops. I even called Samsung UK to find out about it. They say it’s in Korea only as is the R1, even though I’ve seen the R1 in Comet. When is it coming to the uk?

Ryan on March 14, 2010 9:22 AM

It is kind of in the UK, however it is over priced at 32GB being around £400 and 8GB £250. But i would wait a little because they will probably go down in price.Amazon.co.uk